InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Pawns of a Prophecy ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
very sorry for the delay. Was busy. Check the profile. Without further ado, I present to you, Chapter 20. Whatever. Disclaimer

Pawns of a Prophechy

Kagome was feeling pretty good. She had just figured out that her favorite little fox demon was going to mate the cute thunder demon from Laimei Valley. Right now, she was skipping all they way to InuYasha’s favorite field.

She spotted him in a small tree, eyes closed. “InuYasha.”

He cracked a lid at her, knowing very well her intent in seeking him out. “Hey Kagome…So you’re going, huh?”

“Well Miroku and Sango can’t go. Their youngest didn’t do so well with the last sitters.”

“There’s always Shippo then.”

“Oh, come on InuYasha. It’s your sister-in-law’s baby shower. We have to go if we’re able. It would be rude if only Shippo went.”

He jumped down in front of her. “So? I don’t see what the problem is.”

“Grrr. InuYasha, I’m going and that’s final! Considering it’s for your nephew, so should you.”

“Feh! Nothin’ doin’.”

“Sit! I swear you can be so thick at times.”

“What did I do to deserve this?”

She sighed. “I give up.” It was unbelievable how that one hanyou could frustrate the happiest of people. She stormed away and yelled over her shoulder, “If you’re coming, come now. The rest of us are leaving.”

He grumbled loudly after she was out of earshot, but followed his “cruel priestess”. She seemed to have a knack for winding up in the middle of trouble.
-------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
Ahead, Souten saw the line of trees that began the Silkworm Demon Nest. “Koryyu, you can stop here.”

He leaned back slightly and flapped his wings, slowly lowering himself to the ground. Souten jumped off when he was still a couple feet from being completely landed.

“Stay here. I’ll be back.”

He looked towards the line of trees ahead. The forest looked alive, as if it fed on the light of day and consumed it in dark. It looked mysterious, dangerously so. “Are you sure?”

Souten rolled her eyes. “If I’m not back in, say, three hours, you can burn it to the ground.” She assured him while procuring the Thunder Pike from the folds of cloth she used to attach it to her friend and patting him on the back.

She walked towards the forest with attentive eyes. From a distance away, though they were well camouflaged, Souten was able to see that she had been spotted. There were forest guardians in every tree on the line she faced. She made a mental note of that and continued on her way, never faltering in her steps, giving no indication that she was aware of being watched.

When she reached the line, she touched the Pike with a bolt of electricity so that it would give off a glow to ward off the darkness. She glanced up to make sure that all eyes were on her and recognized them as the Silkworm Demons from the way their wings fell behind them in a cape before stepping inside.

Immediately, all of the guards dropped from their posts, raised their weapons to her. She smiled and twirled the Thunder Pike above her head, releasing the flow of electricity she had built up. The bolts contacted all of the swords with only enough strength to numb the arms of the guards. However, that was enough to make all of the swords fall to the earth with a satisfying “thud”.

She looked at the state of her fingernails mockingly. “I think it’s time you found some better guards,” she said to no one in particular.

Eventually, Souten heard soft footfalls on the forest floor approaching her. She had smaller wings than her servants, making for an extravagant collar rather than a cape. She reigned as queen here, her face covered in a light fuzz and eyes of night. “Perhaps.”

Souten bowed her head out of respect. “I’m sorry to have caused such commotion, highness. I am Lady Souten.”

“Ahh. And what is your purpose in my forest Souten of Laimei?”

“I require the skilled hand of your people in textile.”

“The payment?”

Souten straightened up and produced the pouch with gold coins, offering it to the queen. “In full.”

The Silkworm Queen untied it and looked inside, the gold causing a slight upward curl in her lips. “Well then, you’ll forgive my guards. We do not usually come by visitors.”

“Of course, highness. Oh, but I did have a design for the piece.” Souten gave her the scroll as well.

The Queen unrolled the scroll and studied the picture carefully, “Interesting. May I ask after the design?”

“I wanted it made into a blanket for the heir of the Western Lands. Child of Lord Sesshoumaru and Lady Rin.”

A servant stepped to the right of the Queen. She took the scroll that her Queen had held out to begin work on the task. “I have not heard of this Lady Rin. To which clan does she belong?”

“None. She is human.”

The Queen rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “I always thought Sesshoumaru was more one to keep to the well-being of his lands? Please, tell me of the Lady Rin as we await the completion of your gift.”

So Souten accompanied the Queen to the tallest tree and recounted the life of her friend for as much as she knew until the blanket was finished. She left the forest with what she came for, and yet, worse off. Because, the story Souten had told was one long since deemed insanity. And in telling it, Souten had given the tale new life.

The Silworm Demons began muttering of abominations and it did not take long for word to reach the Queen.

“Your Highness–,”began the Queen’s highest officer.
She crossed her hands in front of her face, leaning forward in her chair and rested her elbows on the arms. “Yes, I am aware. Assemble the soldiers and await further orders.”
-------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------
Rin sighed. Preparations galore, but she was finally ready to receive her guests when they arrived. Duty had kept her mind off of Sesshoumaru for the moment, but she no longer had anything to keep her busy and her thoughts were only of one.

A groan escaped her lips when she entered her chambers to find Hitomi already waiting in case Rin should require something. Upon her Lady’s entrance, she stood and bowed. “May I do anything for you, my Lady?”

“Hitomi, please. Just Rin, remember?”

“Forgive me, my– Rin.”

Rin smiled. “Would you mind relieving yourself and everyone else of their duties?”

Hitomi turned, astounded. “Everyone?”

Rin laughed. “The guards may keep their posts. But yes, everyone.” If she relieved the guards, Sesshoumaru might go off. And besides, she did promise to be more careful from now on. Even if that meant doing so inside her own home.

“Of course…Rin.” Hitomi recollected herself, bowed, and continued on her way.
When Hitomi was out of the room, Rin threw herself on her bed and groaned. She turned over to stare at the ceiling. They should have been there already and Rin hated waiting. There was nothing to do until someone came. The guards wouldn't let her go anywhere alone.

She sat up, suddenly alert as she heard a scuffle outside her room. She peeked out the door to find the guards blocking someone's path.

"Souten?"

She immediatley stopped struggling and smiled at her friend. "Rin, could you tell your friends to ease up?"

"Gentlemen, you remember Lady Souten."

They exchanged cautious glances as they cleared the path for Souten. Their Lord was not too fond of her or her last unecessarily long stay.

“Sheesh. What’s with them?”

“Sesshoumaru’s orders. It’s nothing.”

“So, you’re a Lady like me. How’s it treating you?”

Rin sighed. “A bit too official, but nice. I can’t complain.”

“Where’s is he anyway?”

“Sesshoumaru? Visiting someone about the baby. He said a week, but he’ll be back sooner. He always is.”

"So what did you have planned for us?"

Rin beamed. "A picnic," she looked at the kimono she had been wearing and decided it was a bit too formal. "Hmm...I should change. Souten, would you watch for Kagome? She was supposed to come too."

"Um, s-sure."

She's acting a bit strange. She shrugged it off as nothing and went to find something more casual to wear. Finally, she found something. It was another plain kimono, except this time it was white. There weren't any other flourishes other than an embroidered white, windswept cherry blossom that dominated the base of the garment.

There was a small knock on the door. "Rin, everyone's here. Are you almost done?"
Rin smiled to herself. She was really looking forward to spending some time with her friends after a long while. "I'll be right out."

Author's Note: Okay, so that's finished and I already have some of the next chapter done. Assuming it takes me this long to update again, blame it on school. The homework load is ungodly. R&R.