InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Last Breath ❯ My Last Breath ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or 'My Last Breath' by Evanescence.

Summary: During the final battle to defeat Naraku, Inuyasha and the rest discover that there's more consequences to battle than they had originally anticipated. Perhaps, something even more than they can handle.

Warning: This story contains character death.

My Last Breath

Hold on to me love

Tears welled up in Kagome's eyes as she brushed the sweat-soaked silver bangs away from the pain-contorted face.

Blood was everywhere. It was all over her clothes. All over Inuyasha. All over the ground. Tetsusaiga - the sword forged from the fang of Inuyasha's father - lay discarded some ten feet away. Also covered in blood. The moon wasn't in sight; the sun had just set.

Inuyasha's silver hair slowly began the transformation to black. Kagome held on to him tighter, praying silently under her breath. The tears trickled down her cheeks. Inuyasha let out a moan and slowly opened his blue eyes.

He grasped her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I have something to tell you Kagome."

You know I can't stay long
All I wanted to say was I love you and I'm not afraid

Kagome swallowed the lump in her throat and looked at him. His eyes were glistening with what looked like tears and he was looking at her with a strange expression on his face. She nodded and blinked, glancing at the ground. She felt Inuyasha's hand on her cheek.

"I love you, Kagome. I always have, though I know I never showed it. Please," he paused, "please remember me."

Kagome's eyes widened. Her heart raced. Her palms were sweating.

Can you hear me?
Can you feel me in your arms?

Inuyasha gave a pain-filled gasp and shut his eyes as agony coursed through him. He had spilt much of his blood on the ground, on the enemy, on Kagome. A single tear leaked from the corner of his eye. He couldn't believe this was happening to him. He had just killed off Naraku. He had saved Miroku, Sango, and Shippo. Kagome was now trying to save him.

He gave a small breath and frowned, staggering to his feet. Kagome was next to him. He pushed her away, wanting to know that he had finally destroyed the one responsible for everything. For Kikyo's death. For Kagome's distrust until the very end.

He just wanted to believe that he had done something right and that he could live out his life in peace knowing that he had. Hopefully.

Holding my last breath
Safe inside myself
Are all my thoughts of you
Sweet raptured light
It ends here tonight

Kagome watched as Inuyasha stumbled away from her, blood slowly falling to the ground. The bloodstained land didn't need anymore blood. She was about to follow him when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around to see Miroku with Sango behind him, holding her side.

"Let him be for a few minutes, Kagome. He needs to find out something first."

Kagome looked back at the path the half-dog demon had taken and barely registered the fresh tears hitting the ground in angry splashes. She spun back to Miroku and hugged him, quietly thanking him for something he understood.

She ran down the path, looking for Inuyasha. Miroku gently embraced Sango, softly telling her that things would be all right.

I'll miss the winter

Inuyasha saw the white baboon pelt lying on the ground. He stepped closer, his grip tightening on the hilt of his sword. The body of Naraku was nowhere to be seen. He growled and glanced around. He realized that his sword hadn't transformed. He looked at the sky.

'Damn new moon.'

He froze when he felt someone step behind him. Naraku's presence instantly encased the entire area.

A world of fragile things
Look for me in the white forest
Hiding in a hollow tree

Inuyasha snarled and spun quickly, only to find himself flying the air and striking against a tree. He slumped to the ground. Naraku walked up to him with a smug grin on his face. Red eyes gazed evilly at him.

(Come find me)

Kagome skidded to a halt and eyed the form of Naraku. Long, black hair was blowing in the sudden wind. Rain began pelting down from the dark clouds. Fear gripped her heart.

Naraku turned to her and smirked.

I know you can hear me

Naraku lunged at her, red orbs staring coolly at her.

Kagome could only watch, frozen in place. A flash of blue was the only warning she got as she hit the ground, the breath knocked out of her. Something heavy landed on top of her and she frowned. She looked up.

Calm, blue eyes stared back at her, glazed with agony.

She felt droplets of water running down her cheeks again and realized that it wasn't the rain. It was her tears.

I can taste it in your tears

Inuyasha gave a small smile and tried to move. Naraku was heading back their way. He saw an arrow not far away from them and attempted to reach for it. Kagome had to kill Naraku. In his human form, he was utterly useless.

His fingers wrapped around the shaft. Fingers wrapped around his neck.

He was picked up. He dropped the arrow onto Kagome's stomach as Naraku threw him again. Blood dripped from the corner of his mouth.

Holding my last breath
Safe inside myself
Are all my thoughts of you
Sweet raptured light

Kagome sat up and held onto the arrow. She spotted a bow and quickly moved to it. She notched the arrow and took aim. Her eyes stung with tears of rage. Inuyasha looked at her. She looked down and took aim once more.

She let the arrow fly.

It ends here tonight

Naraku abruptly turned around, growling in surprise. The arrow slammed into his back, inside of his spider tattoo. He gave a noncommittal grunt and exploded into ash.

Kagome hurried over to Inuyasha and looked over the wounds. In his human form, he most likely wouldn't survive. Inuyasha pulled her into a hug. She heard something that she never expected to hear.

The half-dog demon was crying.

Closing your eyes to disappear
You pray your dreams will leave you here

"Kagome."

Kagome glanced at Inuyasha, pausing briefly from trying to stanch the bleeding. Inuyasha was shoving her hands away. He refused to have her help him.

"Kagome, listen to me. You have to help Sango. She's in a worse position than I am. She's pregnant, Kagome."

"Inuyasha,..."

"Kagome, please. Just leave. Leave me here and help her." Inuyasha glared angrily at her, blue eyes flashing with rage. "NOW!"

Kagome got to her feet and hurried away. Inuyasha leaned against the tree.

But still you wake to know the truth

Inuyasha took a few shallow, painful breaths and stood up. He fell back down.

No one's there

Kagome hurried to Sango's side. The girl was crying, tears of pain squeezing from the corners of her eyes. Miroku looked at her, blue-violet eyes questioning.

"Sango, you have to relax." The girl stared at her. Kagome took her bag from Shippo and helped clean and bandage the wound.

"Where is Inuyasha, Kagome?"

Kagome's hands fell to her sides. Inuyasha. She had to help him. Sango had blacked out and was resting. The blood flow had slowed drastically. She heard Miroku's voice.

"Kagome?"

She had to help him. She ran back to him, not willing to let him die. Not yet.

Say goodnight

Kagome walked up to the tree. Inuyasha was resting against it, eyes closed. She hugged him.

He didn't move.

"Inuyasha." No answer. "Inuyasha! Answer me!"

Don't be afraid

Kagome shook Inuyasha. He still didn't wake up. She felt herself enter hysterics. She felt for a pulse.

There was none.

She shook her head. No. No, he wasn't dead. He couldn't be dead. Her fingers moved passed the beads around his neck. She gave a choked sob.

Calling me

"Inuyasha, please answer me. Stop doing this to me." He didn't give a sign that he knew what was going on. "Inuyasha?"

Footsteps sounded behind her. She didn't turn around. Arms wrapped around her and pulled her away from Inuyasha. She struggled in vain and wept into Miroku's shoulder.

'Why did you have to do something stupid, Inuyasha,' she thought. "Stupid." Miroku led her away from the tree.

'It is ironic. This is the same tree Inuyasha first kissed Kagome and told her that he liked her,' Miroku thought as he went back to Sango and Shippo.

Calling me as you fade to black

A soft sound.

Unable to be heard.

A heartbeat.

_____________________________________________________________ ___________________

Please don't hate me. Tell me what you think. I might be able to write a sequel to this if you want to. You just have to let me know. Here is the summary for the possible sequel.

Trust and Betrayal

Summary: Inuyasha has died. Kagome has gone back to her time - the present. Something's still brewing the Feudal Japan and it's only a matter of time until that something rears its ugly head. Can Kagome trust someone she hasn't seen in years or does she feel betrayed by what had transpired in the past?

Please tell me what you think. Shall I write a sequel? Please do not take this idea. The story line is mine, except for the characters.

Thanks in advance.