InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ A new life ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: So uh, what can I say? I feel pretty happy that I even have reviews. Anyway, I guess you want to read the story so I'll shut up now.

Kagome closed her eyes briefly before reopening them as she was flung to the side of the car. If I don't live through this, I swear that when I'm dead, I'm going to haunt this guy! Kagome looked at Kouga in resentment as he just sat there looking like he wasn't being affected by the driving as the car went from one lane to another. Kouga smiled at her.

"You know what wench? I must say that I'm impressed. Most people would have emptied out their stomachs by now, but you've held on. I wonder how long it will take for you to lose the battle. An hour? Or maybe even less than that." Kagome glared at Kouga.

"Yeah and when I do, I'm going to make sure it's all over that pretty black suit your wearing too! Then you maybe you'll stop calling me wench!" Kagome shouted. Kouga just snorted.

"Fine. I really could care less. I have about a dozen or so suits exactly like this one, so it wouldn't be much of a big deal to me. In fact, why don't I just take it off and you can have the bloody thing as a wedding gift?"

"I'll tell you what you can do with-" Kagome stopped in mid-sentence as her brain processed what Kouga had just said. Kagome gave Kouga a look like he had just grown three more heads before asking softly, "Did you just say, 'wedding gift'?"

Kouga nodded, a grin plastered on his face. He knew that by saying those words, he would get some type of reaction out of her. And he wasn't disappointed. Kagome exploded.

"Why would I want that ugly thing as a wedding gift? I'm not getting married! And when I do, I sure as heck don't want a suit!" Kagome stopped. "In fact, I can't remember the last time I even went to a wedding." Kouga shrugged.

"Well then, you're going to be at one soon. At least, you will if you win." Kagome's eyes narrowed and Kouga got the distinct feeling that he had just sentenced his execution.

"What are you talking about?" Kagome asked him quietly.

Kouga shifted in his seat uncomfortably. "Well it seems that you are one of the lucky girls who get to come to my little island of paradise."

Kagome raised an eyebrow. "Your little island of paradise? You own an island?"

Kouga sighed unhappily. "Actually it's not an island. I just wanted to say that. All I'll tell you is that you're going to be staying with the Lord of the Western Lands."

"And who is that?"

"My boss's brother."

One of Kagome's eyebrow rose. "And that is supposed to help me...how?"

Kouga grinned at her. "It's not. My boss doesn't want you to know who he is because if you do, you just may throw yourself out of this car. Then again, you could be the type who may marry a guy just because of his looks."

Kagome made a sound of frustration. "Why do you keep talking about marriage? I'm not getting married. I'm only fifteen. This is the new century just to let you know. Girls don't get married at my age anymore."

This time, Kouga's eyebrow was raised. "Would you be willing to bet you life on that?"

Kagome shook her head. "You're missing the point. I'm not getting married. Period. End of discussion. So you can just turn your little fancy car around and head back to where I live." Kagome frowned as she thought of her stepmother. "On second thought, you can go to town and drop me off there."

A slow grin began to spread across Kouga's face. "I'm sorry m'dear. But I can't do that. You see, if I let you go, I could say goodbye to my job and if he's extremely mad, my life. So as far as I'm concerned, you're not going anywhere unless the boss let's you go. Now that is the end of the discussion." Kouga sat back in his seat confident that Kagome would let it go. But as he was about to find out, that just wasn't how Kagome did things.

As soon as Kouga's attention was taken off of her, Kagome began to inch her way toward the door. She really didn't give a crap about this man's life, and it seemed he didn't care about anything she wanted. So what was a girl to do? Why, jump out of the car of course. Nothing better than to give the guy a big dose of reality. She wasn't going to just lye low. She had her freedom and she wasn't going to let it go because of some guy's idea of a joke. For all she knew she could be going somewhere that would have made her stepmother's place look like heaven.

Just as Kouga was about to ask Kagome another question, Kagome saw her chance as the car passed by a steep meadow, and flung the door open and threw herself out of the speeding car. She immediately hit the gravel and began to tumble down the steep hill. She rolled and rolled until she was stopped by the impact of a huge tree. The impact took all of the air out of her lungs and Kagome was sure she heard her ribs crack. She cried out in pain as she tried to move but couldn't.

A second later, a pair of feet landed right next to her with such grace that Kagome wanted to cry. Kagome had a sneaking suspicion that those feet belonged to Kouga. And she was right.

"Are you freakin' out of your mind!? You could have been killed! And do you know that if you had been killed, I would have been also? I could kill you for what you did. You almost gave me a damn heartache woman!" Kouga had been pacing as he was yelling at Kagome and so didn't hear her moans of pain until he had shut his mouth.

"Thanks for your support," Kagome said as she gritted her teeth and tried to roll away form the tree and pick herself up from off of the ground. But she was in too much pain to do anything and just collapsed back down onto the crunchy yellow grass.

Kouga dragged his clawed fingers through his long unbound hair and sighed in frustration. "We are going to be way behind schedule because of you. When dog turd gets a load of this story, he really won't want to marry you. I bet he'll kick you to the curb after a week of being in the same house. He does that to all the girls his brother chooses for him."

Kagome didn't hear a word he had said because she was trying to concentrate on getting up from the floor and ignoring the sound her ribs made every time she made the slightest movement. She quickly broke out into a slight sweat and she her breathing began to get uneven and choppy.

Kouga shook his head as Kagome fell back down onto the grass. Stupid girl. I swear she's like a tape recorder. One minute she's listening to you, and then the next she's not. Kind of reminds me of mutt face.

As soon as the thought was completed, Kouga's cell phone began to ring. Kouga reached into his pocket and pressed a button before putting the phone to his ear. "What do you want?" he snapped.

"Is that any way to talk to your employer Kouga?"

Kouga mentally flinched. Oops... "What I meant to say boss was hello."

A deep chuckle was heard on the other line. "Yes, I'm sure you were. Anyway, where are you? You're ten minutes late Kouga. You know how Sesshomaru hates it when you're not on time."

Kouga laughed. "Yeah I know. Why do you think I'm always late to everything I'm assigned to do?"

"Because your always busy flirting with the maids? Or maybe it's Inuyasha's latest girlfriend, Kikyo?"

Kouga wisely didn't answer the question. Because if he had of, then Onigumo would have gone up to Sesshomaru as soon as he tehy had hung up and blabbed it all to him, while at the same time hoping that he would get a promotion.

A sigh was heard before Onigumo spoke. "I guess you're smarter than I thought. Anyway, Sesshomaru is waiting here at the docks wondering where the hell you are."

Kouga gave a snort. "You want to know where I am. Okay I'll tell you." Kouga turned around and looked at the dying meadow with distaste. "By the looks of it, I'm at a meadow."

There was a hint of surprise in Onigumo's voice. "How did you get at a meadow?"

"Let's just say that the wench just couldn't bear to be away from her precious home so decided to jump out and say goodbye one last time."

There was a few seconds of silence before Onigumo burst into laughter. "She jumped out of the car? What were you doing to the poor girl? Molesting her?" Onigumo began to laugh even harder at the thought.

Kouga's voice was quiet. "Don't talk to me about molesting people Onigumo. Isn't that the reason you have all of those burns on your body? Because you were molesting someone?"

Onigumo's voice became rough. "Stop getting off topic. I want you to have the girl here in ten minutes or Sesshomaru will be down there himself to pick her up." And then the line went dead.

Kouga cursed under his breath. How the hell am I supposed to get this wench to the docks in ten minutes? That's impossible. Unless...

Kouga looked around to see if anyone was watching before pulling Kagome onto his back. Kagome shot him a hated/pained look.

"What are you doing?"

Kouga grunted. "What does it look like wench? I'm putting you on my back so you can get up and we can get going. It's pretty obvious you won't be walking anytime soon on your own."

Before Kagome could make a reply, Kouga pulled her arms more securely around his neck, put his arms around her legs to make sure she wouldn't fall, and jumped into the air. Kagome screamed in his ear making Kouga wince.

"Shut up wench! I only have these pair of ears and they happen to be very sensitive. So keep the yelling to a minimum if you don't mind." Kouga hoped that she would obey him. He wasn't surprised when she didn't.

"Are you crazy? I hate heights. What if you fall down to the ground and hurt something? More importantly me? Or when you land you don't land properly? I'm not ready to die yet just to let you know!"

Kouga shook his head. "Just be quiet and enjoy the ride." Kouga smiled to himself in relief as Kagome did as he asked. He was just beginning to enjoy the peace when out of nowhere Kagome shook her hands from Kouga's grasp and squeezed his fuzzy ears.

Startled, Kouga looked behind him, or tried to, before whipping his head back in front of him. "What did you do that for?"

Kagome's voice was all innocence. "Do what?"

Kouga shook his head again. "Never mind. We're here."

Kouga landed on his feet with a loud thud before pulling Kagome off his back. Kagome yelped in pain.

"Ow! That hurts you jerk!"

"Fine. I'll be more careful, your highness." Kouga did a mock bow before slowly picking Kagome up from the hardwood floor and walking over to the group awaiting them. Kagome rolled her eyes.

"You know you're overreacting, right?"

"Is this the other wench, Kouga?" All humor left Kouga's face as he turned to face his boss, Sesshomaru. In place of it was an expressionless mask.

"Yes, my lord."

"Good. Then let's get going." Kagome turned her to see a fairly tall man with silver hair and long fingernails, more like claws, walk past her. He had some kind of fur around his neck and he walked like he owned the world. Kagome disliked him on sight.

Leaning closer to Kouga, she whispered, "Who's that?"

Kouga replied in a monotone voice while following his boss, "Sesshomaru."

Kagome's eyes widened. "That's your boss?"

Kouga nodded. "Now do you see why I didn't want to tell you who my boss was? You would have began to strangle me the minute that name had left my mouth."

Sesshomaru was one of the richest men in the world. He also happened to be the coldest. The story was that he had worked for his parents ever since he was 12, but back then his family and he weren't rich. No, what had made him rich was when his parents had gone on a vacation to the Caribbean and just happened to be snorkeling when some crazy guy ran them over. It was instant death. The weird thing about it was that the man who ran them over happened to be a prince. The guy was immensely sorry and gave Sesshomaru over twenty million dollars in payment for what he did. But it didn't matter to Sesshomaru. By then he had grown cold and hard that he had just taken the money but never bothered touching it. He was always cruel, or so it seemed, to other people. Especially to his younger brother, Inuyasha.

Kagome shook her head in disbelief. Sesshomaru is this guy's boss. I can't believe it. Kagome's eyes widened as another thought occurred to her.

"Sesshomaru wouldn't by any chance have a little brother, would he?"

Kouga grunted in reply. "Yeah. Mutt face."

Kagome took a deep breath hoping that he wasn't about to say what she thought he was going to say. "And his name?"

Kouga looked at her curiously before doubling his pace. "Inuyasha."

Kagome stiffened in his arms. "That's what I was afraid of." Before Kouga even knew what had happened, Kagome was out of his arms and in a fighting stance. Her arms were in front of her face and her legs wee a few feet apart, ready to attack whenever the need came. In a deadly voice, Kagome hissed at Kouga, "If you so much as make a move, I'll turn you into sushi for the little fishes in the ocean for a bedtime snack."

"What the heck is wrong with you?" Kouga asked.

"I don't have to tell you anything. I had an encounter with Inuyasha before and it didn't go well. If I see that jerk one more time I won't be responsible for my actions!"

Kouga looked at Kagome in surprise, before shrugging. "Fine."

Kagome blinked and gave him a cautious look. "Fine? What do you mean fine?"

"As in you won't come with me." Kouga walked past Kagome without a second glance. As he got to the ship that said Midnight Claw, he paused before going up the metal stairs located at the side of the ship. "You'll just be going with Sesshomaru while you're unconscious. Again."

Kagome had already dropped to the floor and was being hauled up to the ship on Sesshomaru's shoulder where she was to be taken to meet her possibly new husband.

A/N: Okay. I was thinking about having Inuyasha meet Kagome in this chapter but I'll have to do it next time because this was way longer than I expected. Waaaaaaaaay longer than I expected. So she will definitely meet him in the next one. And just because I want to say this, but I've noticed that I've been having Kagome fainting waaay too much. That's really going to have to stop.