InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ Mistakes ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: If there's any confusion as to who the pairings will be, I'll tell you now: I/K, M/S, and maybe I'll even put Kikyou with someone. Or maybe I'll just leave her single. Yeah, I like that idea better even better. And just to complain for the sake of complaining, you guys have no idea how hard it was to put romance in this chapter. Now Inuyasha doesn't trust Kagome after Miroku, wait a minute. Did I just give something away? Maybe I shouldn't have done that….

Kagome closed her eyes again for what seemed like the hundredth time that night, reliving the moment where she and Inuyasha were actually close and weren't actually fighting. It still amazed to surprise her every time she thought about it. Kagome never really thought that Inuyasha could be nice because, most likely, every time she saw him, it was always when he was being a rude jerk to her.

Kagome smiled happily to herself, and then chuckled. If someone had told her weeks ago that she would be thinking nice thoughts about Inuyasha, she would have most likely knocked their head off their shoulders.

Kagome touched the shiny yellow material of her pajama's with the tips of her fingers, while looking out the window at the pale silver moon outside. After she had left Inuyasha, she had gone up to her and Sango's room and had taken a bath. If you were to come near her, you would say that she smelled like roses. That was because in her bath, the shampoo she used had a rosy scent, not to mention the water she had bathed in had had roses in it. Kagome didn't know why she had requested the rose shampoo and roses, but she knew she just wanted to smell nice for Inuyasha the next time she saw him.

Kagome put a hand over her mouth as she yawned. She blinked a couple of times to keep awake for a few more minutes before giving up the battle. Slowly, she turned away from the window she had been looking out of, and walked over to her side of the room.

Kagome fell onto the bed and pulled the sheets higher over her body. The last thing she thought of before drifting off to sleep was a certain hanyou with silver hair and the prettiest golden eyes Kagome had ever seen.

. . .

Kagura listened to the faint noises next door before the house went totally quiet. Waiting a few more minutes, Kagura listened to the soft snores of her roommate before rising out of her bed. Kagura had already been in the bed when Kikyou had finally returned from wherever she had gone, so she hadn't seen that Kagura had still been in her clothes.

Making sure not to make a sound, Kagura quietly went over to her wardrobe and picked out a small leather jacket before slipping through the door and walking down the steps to the front door. Looking over her shoulder to make sure that no one was following her, Kagura went out the door and into the bitter cold.

As soon as she stepped outside, Kagura could feel his eyes on her. Kagura went to the back of the house where the garden was located and waited impatiently for her boss to show up. She didn't have long to wait as a man with black hair slipped out of the shadows and into the light where his face was seen more clearly. Or to be more precise, his baboon mask was seen more clearly.

In an impatient voice, Kagura asked quietly, "Why did you call me out here Naraku?"

Naraku clucked his tongue before saying, "Kagura that is no way to speak to your master. When you want to say something to me, you had better say it respectfully or else you can consider yourself having a little `accident'."

Kagura gritted her teeth at the reply she was about to make and noted with loathing that Naraku had saw her restrain herself and was enjoying it. Kagura's voice was sugary sweet when she spoke again. "Why did you bring me out here Naraku?"

Even though you couldn't see his face, you could hear the coldness in his words. "You already know why. Tell me what you have on Kikyou. Does she have any chance of winning?"

Kagura walked over to one of the benches and sat down. She smiled as she said, "Well if you had asked me that a couple days ago, then I would have replied without hesitation, that yes, she would be the one to win." Kagura smirked as she continued. "However, I do think there is a slight chance of some competition between her and Kagome."

Naraku didn't need to ask who Kagome was since he had gotten both hers and Sango's whole life stories when he had found out who the other two girls were to be entering the contest.

Naraku didn't say anything at first at Kagura's announcement. After a while, he finally put his finger to his chin and said thoughtfully, "So Kikyou won't be able to pay me back then." Naraku gave a mocking sigh. "Pity. I do like the way she looks."

Kagura didn't show any emotion as she listened to Naraku. She waited patiently for him to speak to her again before he would dismiss her and let her go back inside where it was warm. "Kagura, I want you to make sure that this Kagome girl doesn't prove to be any competition for Kikyou. After all, I do the want the money her father borrowed from me. And I will be getting my money through her since her father can't pay it back."

Kagura nodded as her hand slipped inside if her jacket to pull out a necklace. "I had a felling you would say that, which is why I started already." In her hand was Kikyou's necklace, the Shikon No Tama.

Naraku nodded his head slightly. "Is that what I think it is, Kagura?"

Kagura smiled at him. "Yes. This is the necklace that her father gave to her when she was old enough to be responsible. She loves this necklace so much since her father gave it to her, and she would kill any one who would so much as dare to take it from her."

Naraku smiled as Kagura and said before slipping back into the shadows, "That's very good Kagura. But I'll warn you now: make sure Kikyou wins or you will both pay."

Kagura's lips thinned out as she looked at the spot where Naraku used to be with hatred. She'll win Naraku. Don't worry about it. Kagura's gaze turned wistful. You just make sure you let me go when she does.

. . .

Miroku grinned mischievously to himself before quietly slipping into the room where Sango and Kagome were sleeping. Hoping not to wake them up, he quietly walked over to Sango's side and gazed at the sleeping girl. For a second, Miroku just let himself enjoy the pleasure of just gazing at the beautiful girl asleep before he sighed and got back to his mission.

Miroku didn't know why, but Sango was different from the other girls he groped. Usually, after the first grope, they would always make sure that there was at least twenty feet separating them whenever they were in his presence. Sango hadn't done that. She hadn't put space between them like that, but she had made sure that she could see his hands whenever he was near her.

Lately, Miroku had had the strangest urges to get to know her. But he could never get her to be alone with him. So, Miroku was just going to have to frame her into it. Which brought back his attention to what he was about to do.

It wasn't anything that would make her get in major trouble. All he was going to do was put something of his on her dresser and then he would become upset with wondering where it was. Naturally, Sango would have it, and being the type of person he is, Miroku was going to want to have a private word with her to see why she would want to take his things.

Miroku grinned in delight at his brilliant plan before slipping out a gold ring from his pockets. He then proceeded to place the ring onto the thing nearest to Sango, which happened to be the dresser right next to her bed. The ring looked out of place with the small lamp and different sets pf papers stacked on top of the dark mahogany dresser.

Miroku laughed to himself softly at the mental picture he drew up once Sango realized that the ring belonged to him. But as Miroku left, he had no idea that his plan would completely backfire on him, and as a result, make the little bit of common ground Inuyasha and Kagome had found, completely fall apart.

. . .

Kagome stretched lazily as she got the kinks out of her limbs. Sighing happily, Kagome smiled to herself as she thought of the dream she had just had before waking up.

She and Inuyasha had been at a picnic that Inuyasha had packed for just the two of them. He had been feeding her strawberries dipped in chocolate when he had all of a sudden leaned down and kissed her, whispering in her ear that he loved her and he wanted to marry her. Kagome had just been about to make a reply too his announcement, but disappointingly she had already woken up.

Now Kagome didn't believe in fate or anything, but she desperately wanted that dream to come true if for no other reason than just to spite Kikyou. Kagome sighed again and glanced over out the window where the first lights of the sun were trying to peek out. Her gaze left the sun and went over to Sango who was still blissfully sleeping, which wasn't to surprising since it was barely past six in the morning.

Kagome rolled over on the other side of the bed, and tried to go back to sleep. But a few minutes later, her eyes popped back opened and she was again staring back out the window.

It seemed it wouldn't do any good to try and fall asleep again seeing as the memories from last night were still too fresh in her mind. But Kagome couldn't just lie in her bed for a few more hours and daydream about Inuyasha, even though that thought was pretty tempting. Instead, with a small shrug, she decided that it wouldn't hurt anyone if she took a shower early.

Rising out of the bed, Kagome walked over to her closet and looked at the sad choices of clothing to choose from unhappily. Though nobody had bothered to ask, Kagome still didn't have anything to wear aside from the rags she had come with and the dress her mom had given her. It had been a long time since she had worn something of value, unless you wanted to count the sundress she had borrowed from Sango yesterday to go on her date with Inuyasha

Kagome turned away from her pitiful wardrobe and walked over to Sango's side where dozens upon dozens of clothes were hung up on hangers. Kagome knew that it would take a while for her to choose something since every single thing Sango owned was beautiful.

At last, Kagome decided on a dark emerald dress with purple roses that went around the neckline. The dress was simple since it didn't have any other designs on it, yet it was still a lovely dress. With the dress in her hand, Kagome walked over to her side of the room and carefully laid the dress out onto her bed so no wrinkles would appear on it.

Kagome paused as she went back to Sango's closet to close the door. A shimmer of gold light flashed near Sango's bed, and being the curious person that she was, Kagome went to go and find out what it was. Right next to Sango's bed was a plain gold ring sitting next to the different stacks of paper piles on the small dresser. Curiously, Kagome went closer over to the ring, while at the same time trying to remember if she had seen it before. Not able to make anything come up from her memory, Kagome gently picked up the ring and looked it over from side to side. Kagome looked at the ring for a few minutes to see of there were any special markings, only to be disappointed. Shrugging, Kagome placed it on her left hand just to see how it would look on her.

The ring fell onto her hand with ease, so Kagome didn't have to force onto to her hand. Kagome's interest in the ring disappeared when she heard a thud against the room across from hers. Kagome walked over to her side of the room and placed the ring on her dresser. Kagome quickly undressed, then grabbed a robe and walked over to the door connecting to the bathroom, and opened it.

Kagome smiled in happiness as the steam from the saunas' hit her in the face, making Kagome's steps had a little skip in them as she walked over to one of the many showers lined up against the walls. She pulled the robe off of her shoulders and turned the knob to start the water. Waiting a few seconds to get the temperature to decent warmth, Kagome slid the robe off her shoulders and stepped in.

. . .

Kagome walked down the staircase and paused as her feet hit the marble floor. Uncertainty went through her as she looked down the hallways wondering where she wanted to go. Kagome didn't have long to decide as she heard yelling in the general direction of what Kagome thought was the library. Kagome's feet were already taking her there, as the shouting got louder and louder as she got closer and closer.

It didn't take long for Kagome to get to the library since the stairs were pretty close to it. She entered the door when Miroku said, "But I just don't put anywhere. I always keep it in a special place."

Kagome looked around the room and was a little put off as she saw that everyone was there. From Sesshomaru, to Inuyasha, to Kikyou, to even Kagura, the small library was filled up with people. All eyes turned to her as she softly closed the door. No one said anything but just stared. Finally, Kikyou broke the silence.

"Well, well, well. It seems our thief has finally decided to join us. Where've you been Kagome? Out stealing more jewelry?"

Kagome's face flushed with anger, but before she could make a retort, Inuyasha interjected. "Hey Kikyou, don't talk to Kagome like that unless you have proof, alright?"

Kikyou turned surprised eyes to Inuyasha before saying, "Excuse me?"

Inuyasha didn't blink as he repeated what he said. Kikyou crossed her arms and actually didn't make a retort. Kagome watched all of this with pleasure. Kagome walked quickly over to the desk where Sango was leaning against, with her arms folded.

Miroku turned away from Kagome and said miserably, "I can't believe it's not there. I know I put the ring right next to me as I went to bed last night. You can imagine my shock to find out that it's not in the same place where I had left it last night when I woke up."

Sesshomaru sighed loudly before saying, "Well why don't you go and search your room again Miroku. I don't have time for you to be wasting."

Miroku didn't say anything but just nodded his head. He went over to the door slowly, as if he was disappointed that something didn't happen. Kagome spoke up before he had gone through the door.

"What does your ring look like Miroku? Maybe Sango and I can help you look for it."

Miroku sent her a grateful smile before describing the ring. "Well, my ring's not big or anything. It's a kind of a small gold ring that always seems to look brand new even though I've had it for a few years. There's no diamonds or stuff like that on it. It's just a plain ring, which is why I have no idea why someone would wan to steal it It's not like it's worth any money."

Kagome had grown slightly pale as Miroku had been talking. She had a feeling she knew what ring he was talking about, but she had no idea how it had gotten on Sango's dresser. Knowing that she had better say something before someone else discovered the ring; Kagome said unhappily, "I think I know what ring you're talking about, Miroku."

Miroku's whole face lit up with joy at Kagome's words. Rushing over to Kagome, Miroku drew her hands in his and said excitedly, "Do you mean it? Where is it?"

Kagome slightly gulped before saying quietly, "In our room."

There was a tense silence as everyone looked at Kagome in surprise. But Miroku completely ignored all of this and said, "In your room? Why would it be in your room?"

Kagome didn't answer. Instead, she had looked to see Inuyasha's reaction and had winced at his facial expression. Kagome replied, "That's what I don't know. It was there when I had woken up. I thought it was Sango's at first, so I had picked it up and had tried it on to see if it fit me." Loosening her fingers from Miroku's grasp, Kagome walked over to the door. "But I can tell you that I did not steal Miroku's ring."

Miroku's smile slowly vanished and in its place was an unhappy expression. Here his `great' plan was falling to pieces before his very eyes. Miroku glanced over his shoulder to see how Inuyasha was taking all of this and with a wince, Miroku realized it wasn't well. Miroku could tell that he had just shattered the little trust Inuyasha and Kagome had formed.

With a somber face, Kagome said, "I'll go and get the ring for you Miroku." Miroku walked up to Kagome and shook his head.

"I'm coming with you."

Kagome didn't argue as he went through the door. However, an angry Inuyasha, sad Sango, smug Kikyou, and a bored Kagura all followed behind them.

Kagome pushed open the door and went over to her dresser. She picked up the ring and handed it over to a stunned Miroku without saying a word. Miroku took the ring in numb fingers and said a faint thanks.

Kikyou looked at Inuyasha and smiled to herself. It looked like Kagome had helped her, and she wouldn't need to think of a plan to get rid of her after all. With a small chuckle, Kikyou turned toward the exit, only to stop in her tracks. Staring in disbelief, Kikyou slowly walked over to the door connecting to the bathrooms, and with a loud gasp, saw her necklace resting on the doorknob.

With fire in her eyes, Kikyou pointed an accusing finger at Kagome. "I can't believe you stole my necklace! You lying, conniving crook! It's not enough that you're starting to steal Inuyasha away from me, but you also have to take away my most prized possession! Is nothing ever good enough for you?"

Kagome looked at the small pink ball, before she turned to Kikyou and said, "I didn't take your necklace Kikyou. Why would I want to take away a necklace that doesn't belong to me? Can't you see that I've been set up? If I were to steal the Shikon No Tama, then I sure as heck wouldn't have left it in the most obvious place where it could be found."

But Kikyou was to angry to be reasoned with. Kikyou yanked the necklace off the doorknob and put it on her neck. Kikyou glared at Kagome before saying, "I don't want to hear your lies, Kagome. I just want you to keep away from me. Just leave me alone." Kikyou turned away and left.

Kagome stared at the spot Kikyou used to be in before turning pleading eyes to Inuyasha. She didn't notice the rest of the group walking away quietly, leaving the two alone. Kagome was the first to speak.

"Inuyasha I-"

Inuyasha cut her off. "Why did you do it Kagome?"

"I didn't do it Inuyasha. I didn't take Miroku's ring and I didn't take Kikyou's necklace, just like I didn't take your sword. Why won't you believe me?"

Inuyasha's calmness dropped away and in place stood his anger. "Why does it seem that every time I find peace with you, you go and do something like this? If you hate me that much, why don't you just tell me now, and I can eliminate you right here, so you can pack your stuff and leave. I'm not going to stand and watch you steal people's valuables and just look the other way, Kagome."

Kagome blinked back the tears that were trying to escape. "Inuyasha, I have never stolen something in my entire life. I have always been afraid that if I did, my mom would beat me. Why would I start now?"

Inuyasha's face showed surprise before he promptly shook his head. "Kagome stop it! Stop lying to me! You're always lying to me." Inuyasha walked angrily to the door. Turning his head he said, "You can pack your things. I don't want a bride who will always lie to me or steal from me. So you can just consider yourself the first one to be eliminated." Inuyasha then slammed the door shut.

Kagome watched in stunned silence as the door slammed shut. She didn't notice the few tears that managed to fall down her face as she was in shock to feel anything at the moment. Kagome slowly walked over to her bed and sat down. All of a sudden, Inuyasha's words finally penetrated the cloud of fog in her mind, and she then promptly burst into loud heart-breaking sobs.

. . .

Inuyasha stomped angrily down the stairs unmindful of all the passing servants, and went straight to the doors and threw them open. Inuyasha didn't see if anyone was watching him, as he jumped in the air and made his way toward his tree. Making a perfect landing on one of the tree's thick branches, Inuyasha lied down and put his arms behind his head.

He felt like a fool at that moment. He didn't know how he had fallen for Kagome's innocent acts, but he vowed right then and there that he wouldn't make the same mistake again like he had last night.

With the thought of last night came the memories. Inuyasha had really enjoyed himself. No one had ever bothered watching sunsets with him aside from his mom. When Kagome hadn't wanted to leave automatically after their little chat, Inuyasha had felt happy. It had been a long time since he had felt that kind of emotion for another person, and at first, Inuyasha didn't know what to do.

Eventually, though, he hadn't had to say anything. No words were needed to express how he had felt, so Inuyasha had just enjoyed the moment. When Kagome had gotten up to go, Inuyasha didn't want her to leave and was just about to say so, when he had noticed she was shivering.

Inuyasha snorted. I bet she was just acting the whole time too. But Inuyasha paused, as guilt made its way into his brain. Okay, so maybe she hadn't been acting the whole being cold part, but that kiss she gave me was definitely rehearsed. Inuyasha sighed.

He didn't know what to think anymore. It seemed like every relationship he went into, something like this always happened. Whether the girl would lie to him, or cheat on him, something would always go wrong.

Maybe I should just stop dating all together.

Inuyasha was brought out of his thoughts when someone spoke. "Inuyasha, can you please come down from there?"

Inuyasha glanced down at Kikyou and then back up at the clear blue sky. "No."

"Please Inuyasha? I need to talk to you."

"Why can't I talk to you from up here?" Inuyasha asked.

Kikyou sighed before she tried again. "Well if you won't talk to me then I'll just go and talk to Kouga." Kikyou had no intention of talking to Kouga, but she knew that that was probably the only way he would come down.

A thud was heard as Inuyasha landed on his feet with a scowl on his face. "What do you want to tell me Kikyou that had to be said on the floor?"

Kikyou smiled at Inuyasha. "I don't like talking to you when you're in a tree and I'm on the ground. It just bugs me I guess."

Inuyasha's scowl deepened and Kikyou quickly said, "I was wondering Inuyasha. Do you think you could put some type of security camera in my room? I don't want to take the chance of having any more of my stuff being stolen."

Inuyasha shrugged. "Fine. Just go to Sesshomaru and tell him I said it was okay." Kikyou opened her mouth to speak, but Inuyasha continued on. "And if he gives you any trouble, then just tell me and I'll deal with him."

Kikyou's smile was sly. "Thank you Inuyasha. I just don't think I can take it anymore if some of my other stuff was stolen."

And before Inuyasha could react, Kikyou pulled him forward and kissed him. Inuyasha was motionless for a few seconds before he took control of the kiss. Neither Inuyasha nor Kikyou noticed the two people watching them.

. . .

Kagura grinned. So far, everything was going as planned. Inuyasha was kissing Kikyou and it looked like he was enjoying himself. Kagura's smile was pleased. Now if I can just make sure that Kagome doesn't interfere anymore, Kikyou can win and I can finally leave Naraku. For good.

. . .

Kagome silently pushed the curtains back into place where Inuyasha and Kikyou continued to kiss. It seemed Inuyasha had meant what he had said when he told her to leave. He was already forgetting her and Kikyou was taking her place.

Kagome silently pushed the tears back from her cheeks and walked over to her bed. On it was her mom's dress and the rags she had come in. If Inuyasha wanted her to leave, then she would. But she was going to make sure that he knew she was innocent one way or another.

Kagome scooped up the two items onto her arm and pushed open the door. As far as she was concerned, Inuyasha would never forget her if she had anything to say about it. Kagome's footsteps were determined as she went to and search for Sango to help her make out a plan.

A/N: I am so sorry! I didn't mean to pull Kagome and Inuyasha apart again. But I do have a plan so don't hate me too much. Not to mention, you probably hate me since I did put some romance in here, but it wasn't with Kagome and Inuyasha. It was with Kikyou and Inuyasha. I think I might be going crazy.

I was originally going to make this chapter about Sango and Miroku, but it didn't turn out that way as you can tell. I can assure you that Kagome will not be going home, but she will be doing something. Inuyasha will not be with Kikyou for very long and as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. Anyway, the next chapter will be about one of the girls getting eliminated and I think something may catch on fire. Miroku's also going to tell Inuyasha what he did, so don't yell at me for not having him tell Inuyasha in this chapter. Okay, so I guess that's it. Toddles! Oh yeah, and review!!!