InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mystic Beginnings ❯ Discussions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
‘.....’ Thoughts

“.....” Speaking

Disclaimer: See First Chapter

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2....Discussions

Sesshoumaru sat quietly through the meeting as Toga and Lady Michiru talked. He listened as his father regaled the Lady of the East with stories of grand battles, creatures’ great and small, and other such nonsense. He told her of the many demons he fought and the many demonesses he had bedded. Sesshoumaru stifled a chuckle as he look from his father to Izayoi. If she was displeased or upset in anyway, she was hiding it well. Inuyasha on the other hand, was looking at his father with such a queer look on his little face that Sesshoumaru swore he could see the wheels turning ever so slightly in the hanyou’s head. When Inuyasha was about to question what his father had said, Izayoi quickly hushed him with an ear rub, which had the pup forgetting his examination at the words Toga had said.

Sesshoumaru looked back from his human stepmother and younger brother to his father and Lady Michiru. He could see the exotic markings on her face clearly since she didn’t have a veil on. Sesshoumaru liked her markings and was surprised when his father had once told him that all female Inu youkai usually had more markings than the males did. He explained that the markings were a sort of calling card to the males that this was a strong female. One or no stripes was not acceptable, meaning any child born between the union would most liking be weak and possibly be killed or separated from it’s pack. Two stripes were good. This meant that the child would be weak but strong enough to keep up when the pack moved. Three was fine. Most demonesses had about two or three. These produced the best offspring, although sometimes accidents would happen. Four or more stripes meant the female was the best that could be attained. These produced the best offspring. They had a higher standing in the pack. No young were ever separated from their mother’s. Those were the ones that males fought over. His own mother, The Lady Senn, had a total of six markings on her face. Three stripes on each cheek. She was, by far, the most sought after demoness in the few Inu Youkai’s that existed. Sesshomaru gave thanks every day to the Gods that his father had mated such a wondrous specimen.

Looking at Lady Michiru Sesshoumaru could clearly see that she had three stripes in total over her pale face. Two on the right side. One on the left. Light pink in color. They blended perfectly with her smooth complexion. Yes, she was good choice for any male. Looking over to Shikaru, Sesshoumaru wasn’t sure how many she had since a light green veil covered most of her face. Lady Michiru was cunning, deadly, and beautiful. Three aspects of a good mate, while Shikaru was lively, sweet, and innocent. Not a very good choice. Hopefully, if he did have to marry, his father would have him marry Michiru. Even if she was older than him by a few hundred years at least the offspring would be strong.

As Toga and Michiru spoke, Sesshoumaru sat and watched Shikaru. The young demoness was now sitting with Izayoi talking to the human while holding a smiling Inuyasha.

“This sweet little baby is our Lord’s second son?” Shikaru asked as she rubbed Inuyasha’s ears.

“Yes, this is Inuyasha.” Izayoi smiled, “Inuyasha dear, say hello to Princess Shikaru.”

“Hello Shi-Shi-Shiki!” the little hanyou smiled, using the only name he could think of for her since he couldn’t say her name.

“Ohhh! He called me Shiki!” Shikaru beamed. Hugging a still smiling little hanyou to her, she rubbed his back and looked at Izayoi. “I’ve never had anyone call Shiki before. It’s always “Your Highness”, “Princess”, or usually just Shikaru.”

“Inuyasha only aims to please your Highness.” Izayoi said as she reached out a hand to pat her son on the head.

“Please my Lady. This is your home. Do not use such formalities on your visitor. Just call me Shikaru, alright?”

“And just call me Izayoi.” Izayoi smiled.

‘Disgusting.’ Sesshoumaru scoffed. ‘How could Shikaru be handling that hanyou?’ he asked himself.

“I am sure your greatness is known all over these lands my Lord. We, even in the East, acknowledge your many deeds. I will be sure to fascinate everyone in my lands of what you have told me.” Sesshoumaru heard Lady Michiru say.

“Yes. That is most kind of you my Lady.” Toga chuckled. “Now, let’s get to the matter at hand between my son Sesshoumaru, and your daughter.”

“I agree. The sooner the better I always say.” Michiru nodded. Turning to where her daughter sat, Michiru frowned a bit, then put back on a cheery face. “Shikaru darling. Come and sit by mother now. We wish to speak with you.”

“You as well Sesshoumaru. We must speak with you as well.” Toga informed his son.

After Shikaru came to stand by her mother and Sesshoumaru devoted his attention to his father, Michiru smiled gently and patted her daughter’s shoulder.

“Now my dear. We, meaning Lord Toga and I, have something we wish to discuss with you and the young Prince. Are either one of you aware as to why you are here?” the demoness asked.

“No mother.” Shikaru replied.

“It does not matter. But this Sesshoumaru has a concept or two.”

“Oh, is that so? Well your Grace, please share your concept with your father and I.” Michiru said as she smiled, “Enlighten us.”

‘What?’ Sesshoumaru thought. ‘How dare that old hag order this Sesshoumaru around like she is my mother? Cunning, deadly, and beautiful she is, but a complete bitch. Definitely not a good mate.’

“We are waiting Prince.”

“Mother this isn’t necessary.” Shikaru said with a small frown. Turning to Sesshoumaru she quickly added, “You must ignore her your Grace. My mother is tired after her long travels.”

“Oh Shikaru darling. Mother is not in least bit tired. I was simply inquiring young Sesshoumaru here about his views.”

“And being completely dishonorable mother. This is not our home. If he wishes to explain himself he will. Stop being so demanding.” Shikaru said with a shake of the head.

‘Mother and daughter have different views. Michiru is firm and very self conscience. While Shikaru does not believe in pestering others for information. Perhaps this union will be of significance to this Sesshoumaru.’ Sesshoumaru thought as he listened to the two demonesses speak.

“Well it would seem that the young Prince is not able to speak for himself.” Michiru said with a look of disappointment. “Perhaps his father would care to speak?”

“Yes...” the Lord began.

“NO!” Sesshomaru’s voice echoed through the room. “This Sesshomaru will speak for himself.” Sesshomaru growled at Michiru who simply nodded her head, awaiting for the Prince of the West to continue.

“You have brought Princess Shikaru here your Grace,” Sesshomaru looked at Michiru, his golden eyes holding a hint of malice, “To marry her off.”

“M-marry? Mother is that true?” Shikaru gasped.

“It was destiny my daughter.” Michiru smiled softly. “I only wanted...”

“Destiny does not truly exist.” Sesshomaru interrupted. “Shikaru, if you must know, your mother is only marrying you off to gain control of the Western Lands.” the Demon Prince said as if it were a fact, not a statement.

“What?” Michiru hissed. “How dare you? You little ingrate! You should be honored that your father and I have chosen you and my daughter Shikaru to wed! My child could have any male demon and we chose you! Not because you were the sole heir to your father’s vast empire, but because you were the only pure Inu Youkai left! And I am not at all interested in the Western Lands. I have my own domain to look after! Besides, there are filthy humans living at the borders of these lands.” Michiru seethed angrily. “Why would I want a land where humans toiled and littered all day?”

“Perhaps you should have thought of that before sending Shikaru here to become my bride!” Sesshomaru retaliated.

“You have some nerve! You are still just a pup your Grace! If you were my son I would have killed you before you took your first breath!” Michiru stated angrily as she stood to face the Demon Prince

“If you were my mother this Sesshomaru would have killed himself before entering this world!”

“Why did you not do it when Lady Senn was still alive? You would have saved her the trouble of contacting that human illness that you,” Michiru pointed a slender finger in Sesshomaru‘s direction, “brought into the palace!”

Sesshomaru stood as well, ready to decapitate this bitch. Lips pulled back in a snarl, showing off two deadly and pointed canines, eyes blood red, he was going to kill Michiru if it was the last thing he did. How dare this bitch come in here and say such crude things to him? How could she speak of his mother, the Lady of the Western Lands, in such an undignified way? Heads were getting ready to roll, and if he had his way, her head would be the first to go.

Shikaru sat, watching the display in dismay. Biting her bottom lip she stood as well, ready to intervene if things got out of hand.

“Do NOT speak of my mother in such degrading remarks you bitch!” Sesshomaru yelled.

“I will speak how ever I wish! I am your elder you little toad! You should do well and listen to what I say! Lady Senn died because you had spent time with a sickly child and brought his illness, which was deadly even to a demon of your mothers rank, in here! The Lady Senn was already weakened when you were born. So I am not in the least bit surprised that she would have died in such a manner. Perhaps if you would had not played that day in the village, your mother would still be alive!” Michiru barked.

Now Shikaru was worried and the evidence was clear upon her face. Turning toward her mother, the young Princess let out a small gasp followed by a small hand covering her mouth. Eyes gone wide, she could only speculate what form of punishment both Sesshomaru and Lord Toga had in store for her poor mother.

Sesshomaru, at this point, had clearly lost all traces of calmness he had shown as the argument went on. Now he was so enraged by the accusations on him that he did the only thing that seemed plausible, he readied himself for an attacked. Eyes blood red, canines extended beyond his lips which were still pulled back in a menacing snarl, back up by a deep growl, he was on the verge of transforming. And transform he did. At least, he would have if his father’s loud booming voice hadn’t went through every fiber of his being, grating on the few nerves he had left.

“SILENCE!” Toga’s bellowed, almost bursting everyone’s ear drums. “That is enough Michiru!” he turned to a shocked Lady of the East. “Stand down Sesshomaru!” he said to his son, who‘s features had gone back to normal. “You two are acting like pups! If you two start again I will be forced to kill you both! Now SIT!!”

Knowing that the elder demon would be true to his words, both Lady Michiru and Sesshomaru sat, but not before growling at each other.

“Now Sesshomaru,” Toga addressed his son as he too sat, “Lady Michiru is not marrying her daughter off to gain control of these lands. Where you got an idea like that is simply beyond even myself. But to quench your unbelievable thirst for the truth as to why I am arranging this marriage, and to put your ridiculous views to rest once and for all, I will explain something to you. First, Lady Michiru, Lord Takanawa, and myself arranged the engagement when Shikaru was born. We had made a pact of sorts, written in blood. It stated that the Princes Shikaru of the Eastern Lands would be wed to Prince Sesshomaru of the Western Lands in order to proclaim a region of her own. She would be the new Lady of the Western Lands while someone else would inherit the Easter Province. Shikaru here is in truth not the heir to her mother’s domain. Another is.”

“Another you say?” Sesshomaru spoke softly, afraid of his fathers wrath.

“Yes. Her own brother will take over the lands after the Lady Michiru has passed.”

“You never mentioned a brother. This Sesshomaru thought it would be Shikaru to take over after Michiru died.”

‘I thought so as well.’ Shikaru raised a brow, looking at her mother. “You have a lot of explaining to do, mother.” she whispered.

“We never mentioned Shikaru’s brother because neither Michiru nor myself were sure if he was still alive. He had disappeared almost fifty years ago. Michiru here did not see him again until Lord Takanawa was on his death bed. When her son had returned, he was named the new Lord, in place of Shikaru, who would have been named the Lady of the Eastern Lands and the ruler of her family domain.” Toga explained.

“So, my brother, who I’ve never known my whole life, is Lord of my home land?” Shikaru asked. “I’ve never seen him at the palace. Does he hide?”

“No dear, “ Michiru replied calmly. All traces of the argument shared between her and Sesshomaru, leaving her body. “Your brother patrols the borders on which our land is surrounded. He travels frequently and only comes home when fatigue catches up with him.” she said. Turning to Sesshomaru, who was watching the conversation with indifference, she smiled a sickening sweet smile, “Judging by your countenance my young Prince, you are confused?”

“No. My own father patrols his borders at least once every month or so. Even I patrol the borders every so often.” Sesshomaru said monotonously. Turning to Shikaru, he added, “Your brother seems feeble if he has to take breaks to gain his strength. Consider yourself lucky Princess that you do not have to be around such weakness. No weakness or such frailties are allowed in this palace. Those who have flaws are easily disposed of.”

“Ahh yes, weakness is not allowed in the great palace of the West. But yet, you allow a human woman and her half breed son to live here?” Michiru smirked.

“The human and hanyou are not my concern but that of my father. If you have any problems with them my Lady, take it up with the Lord. This Sesshomaru has no ties with them.” Sesshomaru said.

“But the human is your mother?” Michiru inquired. “And the little hanyou is your brother?”

“She is not my mother. She is merely a toy for my father. As for the half breed, although he and I share our father’s blood, this Sesshomaru does not approve of him. In short Lady Michiru, the whelp is expendable, as is his mother.” Sesshomaru replied with such an air of resentment, everyone but his own and Lady Michiru’s, eyes went wide.

“Hmm, perhaps you are not such a worthless pup after all.” Michiru smiled. “Although your father seems to think so.” she laughed.

It was true. As Sesshomaru glanced at his father he could see the waves of anger coming off the older demon. Making eye contact for a fraction of a second, he mentally shuttered at the coldness coming from those golden orbs. The look of his face and body posture seemed to scream out “KILL”. Sesshomaru finally turned away, a slight paler than he was before.

“My. Did it get colder in here?” Michiru laughed. “It seems to be getting late. If it is alright with his Lordship, my daughter and I shall be taking our leave. We will continue this meeting in the morning.” she said as she stifled a yawn. “Come along darling.”

Shikaru nodded and got up to follow her. Walking over to Izayoi and Inuyasha, she smiled.

“I’ll see you two in the morning.” she said as she patted Inuyasha on the head and hugged Izayoi. Pulling away from the clearly shocked Lady, she whispered “I don’t think your worthless. I think you’re very lucky.” then waving good heartily, she ran off to catch her mother.

~~~

Later that night...

As Izayoi bent over to tuck her young son into bed and tell him his nightly bedtime story, the sounds of whips cracking echoed throughout the corridors. No other sounds were made, but she knew what they were. She only hoped her husband would forgive the young prince in time for his run away mouth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------------------------------------------