InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Year: 1535
Month: February

Kagome sighed softly as she splashed the water on her face. “Mama, are you sure this is wise?” Kagome smiled.

“Yes. It will be okay Shippo. I promise. That other side only comes out when I lose control.”

“Remember the last time though? You went on a killing spree on that Daimyo's army. You got lucky that they stabbed you in the chest and didn't remove your head.”

“I know dear. It is why I am going to be staying a couple of days inside Bokuseno. The form is fictional in my time, but I will make it a reality.”

“What's it called?”

“It's called Hiten Mitsurugi. For a human, it would be virtually impossible to perform. For those of us that are not quite human, that is a different story.” Shippo tilted his head in confusion. Kagome smiled and brushed a hand over his cheek. “Don't worry. When I am finished, I will allow you to see.” Shippo nodded.

When they arrived back, everyone had finished eating. “We saved you some food Kagome.”

Kagome waved her hands. “Oh no. That is ok. I have something in my bag.” Kagome went into her bag and pulled the last couple of pieces.

Inuyasha snorted. “What is that stuff? It stinks.” Kagome's eyes glinted. She gripped the meat in her fingers tightly.

“It's just some meat Inuyasha.”

“Oh yeah… Let me have some.” Kagome hastily stuffed the remains in her mouth. She shrugged smirking. “Why you!” Kagome's eyes twinkled as she took off running. She hastily chewed even as she kept her mouth covered. Inuyasha roared as he went after her. Shippo simply shook his head.

As night fell that night, Kagome smirked at Inuyasha. He was still grumbling. Shippo crawled into her lap. “Mama… you should know better than to make him mad. Now he won't stop whining about it.”

Kagome chuckled. “Well, while we wait, why don't we go train?” Shippo grinned in excitement. Kagome rose as Shippo stood.

Inuyasha growled. “Where are you going wench?”

“I and Shippo are going for a walk.”

“You ain't leaving.”

Kagome's eyes narrowed. “I will leave, and you won't stop me Inuyasha. You no longer have any control over me. Stay with your mate.” Inuyasha and Kikyo turned bright red.

“Keh… She isn't my mate wench. There is youkai out there that won't think twice about killing a kit and a human woman.”

Kagome raised a brow. “I didn't think you cared. No matter, we will be safe enough. I can protect myself now. I no longer need your protection. I made a promise to you once Inuyasha. I don't break my promises. I will return and just to make you feel better, I will be living here in this time rather than my own. You have no need to ever worry about me leaving.” Inuyasha closed his eyes, hiding the hurt as he turned away.

“Keh, don't call me when there is some youkai after you.”

Sango rose. “Can I come Kagome?” Kagome looked over to Sango and smiled.

“Unfortunately, I must decline Sango. I and Shippo have long used this time to train and we much prefer to keep that side of things between us.” Her gaze was apologetic.

“You promise that you won't leave?” Kagome nodded.

“Here, you guys can hold on to my stuff and if you want, you can use my bath stuff Sango. You as well Kikyo.” Sango's eyes lit up. Kagome chuckled and exited the camp.

The moon was starting to go down by the time they finished. Kagome flopped down next to Shippo with a grin. “You only managed to graze me. Either I'm getting better or you're getting worse. You used to be able to kill me.”

Shippo rolled his eyes. “You think I want to go through that again? I really thought you were dead that time.” Kagome shook her head, her eyes laughing.

Ruffling his hair, she stood. “Come on runt, let's go take a nice bath and head back to camp. I want to set out by dawn at least.” Shippo nodded.

Shippo mentally frowned. Ever since his mother had become immortal, and he knew she was just by her scent alone and the fact that she couldn't die unless her head was severed, she hardly slept, and she was always moving. It was almost as if she had become a youkai.

He dropped the barrier around them, and they set off. He had been holding the barrier ever since he learned how. It was part of his training. Ever since she had officially adopted him, his youki and her miko ki seemed in sync. He was able to use his youki like a miko and vice versa. “Shippo?”

Shaking his head, he hurriedly caught up. “Coming mom!”

Inuyasha frowned. He had followed Kagome and Shippo, but he hadn't saw or heard anything. There had been barrier around them. They were headed to the spring nearby now.

Frowning, he headed back to camp. To his surprise, he saw that Kikyo was up. “What's wrong Kikyo?”

Kikyo looked over at him in surprise. He saw the strained smile. Settling behind her, he hugged her close. “Tell me what's wrong.”

“You went to see her. I think I know how she felt now.”

Inuyasha sighed. “I wanted to make sure she wouldn't leave us again and… there's something different about her now.”

Kikyo nodded. “I understand.” Inuyasha hugged her tightly. “Kikyo, you are my mate. My true mate. Kagome is just a friend. She has always been a friend.”

Kikyo smiled softly and turned toward him, nuzzling against his chest. “I am glad that Kagome's belief in you being perfect as you are coming to me.” Inuyasha grunted.

Kagome's eyes snapped open right before the sun rose. Standing, she looked around at the others. They were all sleeping still. As expected within moments, Shippo's eyes opened and he rose. “Well, I suppose we can get some food for them going and let them catch up.” Shippo nodded.

“Can I get it this time? Besides, you get to tell Inuyasha.”

Kagome chuckled. “Certainly.” Shippo darted out of camp as Kagome turned to her friend. He was cuddled with Kikyo. A small smile appeared on her lips. She held no hatred for the woman. She was if anything grateful that the two of them were together. Technically, the Kagome they knew had died. She was Kagome in thought and appearance, but she was different. No longer was she Kagome, reincarnation of Kikyo. She was now Kagome, descendant and heir of Midoriko, the three great youkai Generals and Shikon No Tama. Her eyes grew dark momentarily. Moving her hand to her forehead, she rubbed it, as if something was irritating her there. A flash of bright light came and went.

Kikyo shot up in shock. The Shikon Jewel. She had felt the power of the jewel. Looking around, she saw nothing except their group. And Kagome. She was standing in front of them rubbing her head. “Kagome?”

She watched the girl look up at her in surprise. “Oh. Kikyo. You're awake. Good, I don't have to tell Inuyasha my plans then.” She chuckled. “So yeah, Shippo went to get you guys some food. Me and Shippo are going to set out and once everyone has eaten, you can catch up. I'll make sure there is a distinct trail that everyone can follow okay?” Kikyo blinked in surprise and nodded dumbly. Kagome smiled brightly.

At that moment, Shippo appeared with a deer. Kagome nodded. “Get it cooking boy.” Shippo rolled his eyes.

“Yes mother.”

Kagome giggled and started a fire. As soon as the meat was done, Kikyo watched the two stands. “See you in a little bit Kikyo. Oh, and make sure you don't go wandering off okay?” Kikyo nodded. She saw the others begin to shift at the smell of the deer. When she looked back at Kagome and Shippo, they were gone.

Kagome stretched her arms behind her head and glanced up through the trees. This time was so unbelievably beautiful. If she was careful, she'd be able to see her family once more. A sad look appeared in her eyes. They would fade though. They would fade before her eyes until they were gone.

“Mama… it's okay.”

Kagome glanced down at Shippo and smiled. “I know Shippo.”

She watched the boy nod. He always knew when something wasn't right. Kagome glanced ahead, her gaze becoming thoughtful. She would never be able to have children of her own. It was the curse of her existance. Unless of course the gods intervened but they never deigned to grant those kinds of things. If anything, they expected her to kill off Naraku. Her destiny would be accomplished. They expected her to die then. Snorting, she rolled her eyes. By the time Naraku was killed, she would have mastered her power. She would also be the master of every fighting style there was. She was determined on that. By that time, she would become one of them. The only thing that would separate her from them was the fact that she could still be killed. Midoriko had known this when she had originally placed her soul in her body.

A smirk appeared and her eyes slowly darkened into violet. Should they indeed send their messengers and servants after her, she would kill them all. She was determined to live. “Mama…?”

Blinking, Kagome glanced down at Shippo. “Yes Shippo?” He pointed to something ahead of them.

Kagome looked forward and blinked. “Oh, hello Sesshomaru.”

“Wench, where is my bastard half brother and why are you in this Sesshomaru's lands?” Kagome rubbed the back of her head bashfully.

“Well about that… uh… He's behind me and should be here soon. I thought we'd go to the beach to relax though and since we were closer to the western beach…” She watched his eyebrow raise as he cracked his knuckles.

At that moment, Inuyasha's brash words came. “Sesshomaru! What are you doing to Kagome?” Silently she thanked whatever god there was that was looking out for her.

“Hn.” Inuyasha came up next to her. “I can take care of this Kagome.”

Kagome grinned. “Go right ahead Inuyasha. It is only fair since you two are related.” A chuckle escaped as she leapt lightly back to stand next to Kikyo. Inuyasha, Shippo and Sesshomaru all turned to stare at her in surprise. Shippo shook his head. Just like his mother to avoid a battle with Sesshomaru.

Inuyasha was baffled over the fact that Kagome had stepped aside for him. She had never done that before. Kikyo wasn't too happy with him and currently Kagome was calming her down.

Sesshomaru didn't reveal his thoughts but he was amazed. Apparently, the girl no longer dead nor belonged to his brother's pack. His brother's odd wench had purified that village and she traveled still with his half brother but was no longer a part of his pack. She had, and very courtly like, avoided a battle with him with the oldest trick there was. Allowing family members that had a dislike for each other to duke things out.

Kagome kept her attention focused on Kikyo. Using the only connection, she had left with the woman, the jewel, she spoke with her mentally while her words were very reassuring. `Kikyo, do not react whatsoever. I know you have felt what I have become. Yes, I am the Shikon No Tama now. Do not alert anyone to anything that is going on in your mind. I do not want to battle Sesshomaru at this time because I must finish my task. If I were to reveal myself before him, he would kidnap me for his own personal benefit, and I would not be able to succeed. Part of the reason there are no youkai in my time is because of Naraku.'

Kikyo blinked but managed to keep a concerned face. `What do you mean?'

`Understand only that Naraku has absorbed all youkai by the time you would have defeated him. I cannot face Sesshomaru until I have defeated Naraku.' Kikyo pretended to calm down and nodded at Kagome. She saw a flash of gratitude sweep through her eyes.