InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Year: 1535
Month: February

The fight didn't last long as expected and Sesshomaru let them be when Kagome informed them, they were searching for any hints of Naraku. It wasn't the total truth, but Kagome had gotten good at lying. Her scent didn't even change with her lies anymore. Currently the group was waiting for Inuyasha to wake up. Kikyo and Kagome were sitting together speaking in hushed tones while Sango and Miroku were sitting with Shippo.

Glancing over at the two, Miroku gave the girls a thoughtful look. Looking to Shippo, he tried to think how to phrase his question. After opening and closing his mouth a couple of times, he finally spoke. “What happened to Kagome Shippo? She seems… different.”

Shippo glanced at Miroku and gave a small shrug. “I really don't know. I mean, when I found her, she was like this.” Miroku nodded, his eyes remaining focused on Kagome. He couldn't pinpoint the exact difference in Kagome, but he just knew there was something that wasn't right about her.

Sango gently pushed against Miroku's shoulder. “Why did you ask that Miroku?” Sango had noticed that Kagome was stronger and wiser. That was to be expected if she had been alive this whole time and traveling. It had given Kagome a chance to truly blend into their time and learn how to be. With the group, Kagome had always been protected. She of course hadn't wanted Kagome to learn of the true darkness that lay in this time. Usually Miroku would go into town first or her in order to ensure the humans wouldn't do anything to break Kagome's image. Kagome had seen her fair share of death but that was to be expected. This was after all a time where survival demanded someone die.

Miroku frowned. “I feel as though there is something off with her spiritual power. It's changed somehow.” Shippo instantly tensed. Sango and Miroku were focused on Kagome so they didn't see it. Kirara on the other hand had and mewed softly. Shippo glanced at Kirara and shook his head.

Immediately the fire cat tilted her head in confusion. Shrugging, Shippo spoke up as if he didn't care. “Mama's changed a lot, but it is still her.”

Miroku nodded. “Perhaps it is just my thoughts running away with me.” Shippo nodded. Sango frowned but nodded her agreement.

With Kagome and Kikyo, the two were having a far more serious conversation. Kikyo seemed perplexed. “How is it that the jewel became a part of you?”

Kagome shrugged. “I really don't know. During my time at sea, it just happened.”

“How do you keep others from feeling it?” Kagome chuckled.

“That's the thing. I don't regulate that. The only time it becomes noticed is when I must use a strong amount of power. Even then, because it has become me, the nature of the jewel has changed. It's come down to the male that mates me has use of the jewel. If a dark wish is made, my nature begins to change for the worse. Whereas if a pure wish is made, my nature changes for the better. If I am without a mate, the jewel remains dormant in a sense. It feeds off my power and gives me its own power. At least that what I've assumed about the whole thing.”

Kagome glanced down. She had needed to inform Kikyo of the matter dealing with the jewel only because of the fact she was connected to the jewel itself. “So, if a dark wish is made, a miko could purify you and in essence purify the jewel.”

Kagome nodded. “Of course, for me it would feel as if I were a youkai being purified. I would hurt like crazy.” Kikyo frowned, not quite understanding her slang but soon she seemed to nod to herself as if she understood what Kagome meant. Kagome grinned. All Kikyo had to do was look through the soul memories. She hadn't really tried to focus on why she still retained memories of her old life since that soul was no longer in her own body.

It was then that Inuyasha twitched. Everyone immediately looked at him, ready at a moment's notice to leap up. When he didn't move, the group relaxed. Honestly, it felt like old times. Kagome began to giggle. Miroku and Sango looked at her in confusion. Kikyo was just as baffled as Shippo merely rolled his eyes.

Kikyo moved to Kagome. “Kagome, are you well?” Kagome glanced at her and nodded, another fit of giggles making her fall over into the dirt.

Shippo stood. “Don't worry. She's still not quite right.” Immediately, Kagome shot up and glared at her son.

He was standing with a smirk on his face. “Take that back!”

“No. You know it's true.” Shippo's voice was calm, a very annoying calm. Kagome's eye twitched.

“Why you…” Kagome jumped to her feet and crossed her arms, pouting. Her eyes began to water and Shippo showed no change. “You're so mean Shippo.” She sniffed. Everyone looked to Shippo, expecting him to cave. Everyone knew when Kagome pulled this, Inuyasha would always let her have her way. Shippo merely looked down at his claws inspecting them.

Suddenly, Kagome lunged for the pup. Shippo's face came up, a grin on it. Before Kagome could reach him, she was thrown back against a tree, hard. Groaning, Kagome sat up. “Cheater.” Sango moved to Kagome's side immediately.

“Are you okay Kagome?”

Kagome grinned up at Sango. “It's okay. Shippo's just teasing.” Sango helped Kagome stand. Once she was on her feet, Kagome moved toward Shippo. Suddenly her eyes widened. In a flash of bright light, she was gone.

Shippo's eyes widened and he sniffed. “Mama?” At first, he didn't move. The others were still rubbing their eyes. Shippo leaped to the spot he had last seen his mother. “Mama!” It was sudden when Kagome landed on Shippo, shoving him to the ground. He growled darkly. “Mama! I hate it when you do that.”

Kagome couldn't help the laughter that spilled out. “I win.”

The others were staring in confusion. Kagome helped Shippo rise. He was rubbing his lower back. Looking at the others, she giggled. “It's something we do to pass the time.” Shrugging her shoulders, she moved over to Inuyasha and kneeled by him. A dark grin appeared. Taking a finger, she began to poke him. Everyone was watching her. It was almost as if watching someone go up to a sleeping tiger and seeing them poke it. They weren't disappointed.

Inuyasha shot to his feet, yelling. “Stop it!” Kagome fell back on her butt, her laughter almost manic. Shippo sighed and moved over to his mother and knocked her lightly on the head.

“Mama, we need to get going or you'll be late.” Kagome pouted but rose. Inuyasha glared at her.

As the group moved through the trees, Inuyasha continued to glare at Kagome. He still wasn't happy with her. Said person was walking arm in arm with Kikyo and Sango as they chattered about what had happened in the year, they had been apart. Miroku was moving slightly in front of Inuyasha with Shippo. Rubbing the side of his cheek, Inuyasha grumbled. She had poked him hard. It still hurt too. She had to have used some miko power while she was doing it. That had to be the reason. There was no way that she had gotten physically strong enough to hurt him just by poking him. Mentally he wished he could have his Kagome back. The Kagome he knew.

As night began to fall, Kagome was grateful that they found a place with a hot spring. Inuyasha took off to hunt for them. Miroku and Shippo oversaw getting the camp set up and getting wood for the fire. The girls decided they needed to bathe. As the three got in, Kagome reclined against the edge of the spring sighing softly.

Sango was the one that spoke. “What happened to your body Kagome?” Opening her eyes and looking down, she saw the scars from her wounds. “Oh, they are just scarring from my battles. Mistakes I made.” Kagome shrugged. Sango nodded, understanding.

Kikyo spoke up. “This looks like it should have severed your head.” She touched the scar around her neck.

Looking down, Kagome fidgeted. “It's actually multiple wounds that I received at once. That's why it looks like it does. My miko energy was able to keep the blood from pouring out. I was out for at least a month healing from it.” It had been the partial truth. The scar ran from the back of one ear, around the front and to the back of the other ear. She had been dead for a month that time. Shippo had been flipping out. When she had finally woke up, he had been trembling like he used to when he had been little. She had spent the whole night holding him to her, reassuring him that she was alive and well. That had been very painful.

“I don't understand why you would have scars though. Miko powers don't leave scars when healing.”

Kagome shrugged, pretending ignorance. “I really don't know.”

When Sango and Kikyo left to return to camp, Kagome remained in the spring looking up at the stars. A soft sigh escaped her lips. She really wished there was an easier way of hiding what she really was from them. It wasn't easy. A snort escaped. The fact that she had managed to convince them that her wounds were something that she had received during battle and had come out alive had been a relief. Then again, her own stories sounded so outlandish and crazy that she was pretty sure that they didn't buy them. Rubbing her temples, Kagome groaned softly. She was getting a headache now.

A sudden noise caused her to stiffen. Forcing herself to relax as she looked around, she pretended to act like she hadn't seen anything. Reaching out, she attempted to discover what was out there. It was faint but she finally heard it. It was a buzzing. Great, she was not ready for Naraku. Allowing the other side to come out, she kept her breathing calm. Her eyes were now violet.

A sudden gushing sound had her pause. Her head was still down. “Kagome? Are you okay?” It was Inuyasha.

Forcing that side of her back, she lifted her head. “Inuyasha? What are you doing out here?” She heard Inuyasha grunt.

“Naraku sent one of his damn bees.”

Kagome nodded. “Thank you Inuyasha. I'll come back to camp now.” She heard him grunt and got out. Dressing, she spoke once she finished. “You can come out now Inuyasha.” Sure enough, the hanyou stepped out. He moved carefully from habit. Smiling, Kagome moved next to him as they started back.