InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Nothing Gold Can Stay ❯ Nature's First Green Is Gold ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

This is a fic based on my favorite poem by Robert Frost. It's an expanded one-shot. A possible ending for the series. It is a bit angsty but don't worry no one will die.

~ … ~: lines from the poem

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or "Nothing Gold Can Stay."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

~ Nature's First Green Is Gold ~

Inuyasha walked through the forest. The wind blew his hair and yukata to the side. The breeze was chilly because it was not quite spring. The late afternoon sun bathed the bare trees in gold light. He was heading away from the Bone Eater's well. As much as he didn't want to think about it, His mind kept wandering to the time he first really noticed it. It was where Kagome would emerge from. He remembered the first time he saw her come out of it. She was so very beautiful. Her hair had sparkled in the mid-day sunshine. Her face was flushed from climbing. He could have stared at her for hours.

"What?"

"Keh! What took you so long?" That's what he always did. It would have been too easy to say he had been worried sick. It would have been too easy to say he missed her every moment. It would have been too easy to say he loved her. Inuyasha always did things the hard way. It was part of who he was. So for the longest time he just made snide comments. He remembered his battle with his treacherous brother. She had started to cry. It broke his heart.

"What are you doing? We don't cry in battle!" She was so desperately upset. He didn't know if it was because she feared for herself or for him.

"What would you rather me do, laugh?" He wanted to yell to her that it would be okay. He would take care of her. Her crying made him more concerned about her than his own predicament and he needed all his focus to fight Sesshoumaru. But that's not what he said. Sometimes his mouth seemed to have a mind of it's own.

"I want you to shut up and let me protect you!" He did want that, but that's not how he meant to say it. He had wanted to be kind, but it just never worked out that way for him. It was the curse of talking without thinking. He was thinking now though. Thinking of her beautiful body that he had caught glimpses of when she bathed. Her smoky gray eyes that always showed him untold emotion. He sighed. She truly was perfect. The best he'd ever seen.

Inuyasha's thoughts drifted a bit as he continued walking down a well-worn path. He meditated on all the times Kagome had returned to her time through that very same well. He hated it when she left him. It was always because they were arguing. They couldn't seem to go more than three days without getting into some kind of tiff. She would run away.

"I'm going home!" She was forever yelling that at him. He thought it was funny at the time. He really didn't care too much. At least, that's what he kept telling himself. But eventually, her absence would start to hurt, and he would spend hours with his head on the lip of the well, just waiting for her to return. At times, he would even jump in to get her.

Kagome's world was so strange. The smells were different. The people were different. Even the weather was different. If it hadn't been for the God-tree that he knew all too well, he would never have believed that her world was his future. But it loomed in the courtyard of her shrine; the mark from his fifty year sleep still embedded on its side. He would march into her home as if he owned it and demand she come back with him. Sometimes she argued, sometimes she made him wait, but she would always come home with him. Well, to his home. She really didn't seem to belong there, even though she tried to. She tried so hard back then.

~ Her Hardest Hue To Hold ~

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Please review. Moving on…