InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Youkai ❯ Of Youkai ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Of Youkai
 
Summary: Kagome's musings upon the nature of demons, of men, and why the world is so unfair.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. That right belongs to Rumiko Takahashi and Viz.
 
8888888888
 
Demons.
 
Why are they hated so?
 
Why do people hunt them?
 
Why do people hate them?
 
Why do people kill them…
 
In my world, the world of five hundred years of development, demons do not exist.
 
Why?
 
Because they have been killed - have killed each other?
 
But why?
 
Why would people do this to one another - drive each other to the point of extinction?
 
Why?
 
I look at my companions, my darling Shippou, the fire-cat Kirara, and Inuyasha.
 
I cannot bear the thought of them dying.
 
And I know that they would not kill each other.
 
But they are few.
 
When I am gone - as I know I will be - what will happen to them?
 
And Sesshomarou, and Kouga?
 
Why do people hate them?
 
True, they are so very different.
 
Stronger, smarter, fiercer. Feral in a way that human beings can never be. Even the stronger ones, the ones with a human form…
 
Even when they are relaxed, if one watches, you can see the sleek muscles, the pointed ears, the sharp eyes… They are graceful, beyond what any human could be.
 
Yes, they kill.
 
But so do we.
 
We, humans, kill. We hurt, we divide up families as carelessly as do these creatures.
 
Sometimes, we're worse.
 
Yet no human hates all other humans.
 
Not one.
 
But most humans hate all youkai.
 
I suppress a derisive laugh.
 
Those who do not hate, fear.
 
Which is bad enough.
 
Some might argue that humans cannot cause destruction on so grand a scale as can demons.
 
They will not be there to see Hiroshima. They will not be there when Nagasaki explodes in a cloud of dust.
 
Humans can be every bit as destructive as demons.
 
Sometimes, they can be worse.