InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Leash ❯ A Gentleman's Game ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: According to the 3rd Inuyasha movie, Inuyasha's mother's name is Izayoi; however, when I started writing this fic, the 3rd movie was not out. Inu no Taisho can be condensed as Inutaisho. I can't remember who noticed, but thank you to whoever pointed out that Inuyasha's betrothed name should be fiancé and Kagome's should be the only one with two E's at the end. Sorry-no one else noticed. Weird… I'll post the corrected chapters later. Now, could we please get back to the more pertinent matter of the story?

Chapter Twenty-Eight:A Gentleman's Game

Sesshoumaru languidly flipped through the stack of papers on his hardwood desk. The thick pile of various forms had taken him some time, but faster than someone who was not as versed in legalese as he. He pinched the bridge of his nose, finally feeling the fatigue of endlessly scrutinizing the world of black and white, and focused his gaze on the snake plant by the door. Eyes tired, Sesshoumaru began to recline in his high-backed swivel chair with the full intent of taking a short nap.

It had been roughly three weeks since he and Inuyasha, along with his fiancée, had gone down into the bowels of Father's catacombs and retrieved the deed along with the Shikon no Tama; his brother was now free of disguise and able to walk around in plain daylight, rather than being masqueraded as a dog. Truth be told, Sesshoumaru got a sadistic pleasure out of the notion of his brother being walked about on a leash. That was more humiliation than he could ever possibly hope to achieve. It was probably the most humbling thing Inuyasha could have been turned into, a domestic house pet.

It was mid-afternoon on a comfortable Friday in March, and he'd be leaving in a couple of hours for Kagura's art exhibit. She was going to unveil another painting at the downtown Tokyo art museum, and it was in his best interest to be there; regardless that the mansion they lived was from his fortune, if he angered his fiery-eyed wife, he quite possibly could find himself sleeping in one of the spare bedrooms rather than on the king size Swedish mattress in their master bedroom. Besides, the painting was one of their beautiful daughter Yuki and soon-to-be adopted daughter Rin, and Sesshoumaru admittedly enjoyed Kagura's work.

So, folding his arms across his stomach and sliding his eyelids together, Sesshoumaru allowed himself to relax until there was beep on the intercom sitting on the corner of his desk. He made a slight noise of agitation when Jaken's voice crackled into the room.

"Master Sesshoumaru," squawked the toad demon urgently, "there's a call for you."

Sitting up enough to hit the talk button, he replied coolly, "Take down their name and number, Jaken, and I will get back to them at my leisure."

"B-but, Master Sesshoumaru," verbally stumbled Jaken, "it's someone you surely would want to talk to!"

Sesshoumaru leaned forward more, his annoyance rising as he rather glared at the intercom. "Oh? And that might be…?" he asked, taking a sip of the half-filled cup of coffee from his desk.

"Onigumo Naraku."

His hand lingered above the talk button, his glare lessening into a more curious one that wrinkled his brow. Finally, he languorously pushed the button and murmured, "Transfer him."

"Y-yes, Master…. He's on line one."

"Thank you, Jaken," he said quietly before turning his attention to the flashing red light on his black business phone. Lifting the receiver to his ear, Sesshoumaru pressed it, hearing the other line click on. "Yes?"

"Tanaka Sesshoumaru…?" an oily voice, saccharine sweet slithered its way into the regal dog demon's ear.

"Yes, and this would be Onigumo Naraku, I presume." Sesshoumaru sat upright in his chair, as if the dignified posture could be seen by this vile creature-and he would be little surprised if Naraku could.

A dark chuckle echoed over the wire. "As sharp as always."

"Cut to the chase. Why are you calling me?"

"Mmm…" Naraku's smirk could be heard as he said, "I'm coming to Tokyo early, a month to be most precise, and I think it would best if there was some form of…proper welcome in order. Who better than you?"

Sesshoumaru's claw scratched slowly down the plastic receiver, a simper forming on his thin lips. "You must have other motives…I doubt this is just a paltry phone call."

Naraku chuckled again. "I merely wanted to meet with such an influential business such as yourself, and from such a highly regarded family…it only seemed fitting. It would reflect well on both of us press-wise, would it not?"

Sesshoumaru knew he was toying with him, and it bothered him, but he did not allow his irritation to shine through his tone. "So what exactly are you seeking in this sort of…welcome?"

"Some form of great party-the one that would be filled with esteemed company of your caliber, Sesshoumaru."

"I see…"

"I leave the preparations themselves in your very capable hands. I am sure you can think of something impressive. I have left my contact number with your assistant so you can give me a proper invitation when you do." There was a pause followed by a low, "And say hello to your dear little brother Inuyasha for me, would you? He seems to be doing well."

With a brief click, Sesshoumaru was left with dead air whispering in his ear. He stared around his well-decorated office once, digesting what Naraku had said in its entirety. That phone call had just been a polite way of saying "fuck you" and Sesshoumaru would be damned if he let that bastard have the last say.

He wet his lips before setting the receiver back on its cradle. He raised the mug of hot black coffee to his mouth and took a long swallow, polishing off what remained. Setting his cup down, he pressed the intercom button. "Jaken, I need you to get things organized for me. I'll send you a memo with the details later."

"Yes, Master Sesshoumaru… Does this have something to do with Naraku, sir?" he asked timidly.

"We're going to be playing a game, Jaken."

"A game, Master? What kind of game would that be?"

Sesshoumaru wryly smirked. "A gentleman's game."

Rising out of his chair, the dog demon stooped to lift his briefcase; perhaps he'd leave early and surprise Yuki and Rin by picking them up from school. The children seemed to always put him in better temperament. He made for the door, reaching into his pocket and extracting his sleek cell phone. Flipping it open, he paused, his thumb hovering above the first digit of the girls' chauffer, who usually picked them up from school in a Honda Element rather than a limousine-he didn't want either child picked on because of their financial status, as rich kids can be bullied, and they were his little dolls-but first he glided to the intercom.

"One more thing, Jaken."

"Yes, Master Sesshoumaru?"

"Water my snake plant."

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, I'm open, Kohaku!" shouted Souta as he jogged a few paces ahead of his friend.

Kohaku nodded his head once, dribbling around Miroku and kicking the soccer ball over to his friend. "It's all yours!"

Souta slid for the ball only to have it snatched away by Inuyasha. "Huh?" The boy didn't even have the chance to blink as the half-demon, who had down-played his demonic speed and strength the entire scrimmage, shot the ball at the goal.

The ball sailed over Kohaku's head and into the net.

"Nice shot," congratulated Miroku, exchanging a high-five with the hanyou; over the weeks he had spent hanging out at the Higurashis, and doing the operative work for Sesshoumaru, the pair had grown to be good friends.

Inuyasha smirked. "Heh."

"Oh, you two are so mature," Sango's voice called out as she and Kagome walked over the soccer field with sport bottles for all in their hands.

"Tell me about it," added Kagome. "Two teenagers playing against two little boys-what a hollow victory."

"Whatever," retorted Inuyasha, the smirk not leaving his face. "You're just jealous because you stink at soccer."

Kagome narrowed her eyes. "As if. I remember Souta having to teach you how to play, so don't give me that. Besides," she flashed him a smirk of her own, "I'd run circles around you, dog boy."

Miroku chuckled. "She's right, Inuyasha. Kagome is an excellent soccer player."

The girl beamed.

"Keh." He crossed his arms.

Sango made an admonishing noise in the back of her throat as she tossed a couple of bottles Souta and Kohaku's way. "You know, Kagome," she handed one to Miroku, "we should join this little game." She came to Inuyasha and bopped him on the head with his sports bottle.

"Hey! What's that for?" He snatched the drink out of her hands and undid the cap.

"For beating my little brother in soccer." Sango opened her lemon-lime drink. "Kagome and I asked you two to help practice with the boys, not crush them."

Kagome nodded. She smiled suddenly and held up a finger. "I've got an idea."

Wiping a stripe of purple away from his top lip, Souta inquired, "What is it, Sis?"

"How about we pick teams?" she asked. Kagome grinned even more as the boys bobbled their heads in near unison. "You and Kohaku can be captains."

"Are you gonna play, Kagome?" shyly queried Kohaku, red blush creeping into his cheeks.

"Of course!"

Sango giggled lightly into her hand. "Do you want Kagome on your team, Kohaku?"

"Uh…" the boy drawled, his face flaring up like a fluorescent red light bulb. "Um…y-yeah…"

Souta's gaze flickered happily between his best friend and his sister. "Well, she's my sister, so I guess she can be on your team."

"Hey, twerp," broke-in Kagome, "I'm not some kind of possession you can just trade off."

"Can too!" the boy cheered. He busted out laughing when his sister started to chase him. "Well, I pick Sango!" Souta managed above his snickers. He finally stopped running when Kagome managed to poke him and leave him be.

"Looks like they're trading sisters," commented Sango with a soft smile.

"Then…" Kohaku thought for a moment, "I want Miroku on my team."

Souta grinned hugely. "Then I get Inuyasha!"

Inuyasha swallowed the last bit of his drink and set his bottle to the sidelines where Miroku and Kagome's unopened bottles sat. "Well, are you ready to play, kid?"

"You bet!"

The foursome of boys had been playing soccer for well over an hour. Sango and Kagome had sat and chit-chatted at the edge of the soccer field, where their brothers' teams practiced, and had only disappeared to retrieve the sports drinks from the ice chest in the back of Miroku's car.

Now everyone was playing a fair game of three-on-three. At first, Souta or Inuyasha would shout out the score, but after a while, everyone began to forget who was winning until the entire game became a giant, jumbled, laughing tussle that was a cross between rugby and volleyball.

Even so, everyone had enjoyed themselves, and Inuyasha had begrudgingly admitted that, when the game was still actually soccer, Kagome was a good player…but not as good as he. (That comment had earned him a short, yet playful, cuff around the dog ears).

By the time Miroku dropped Kagome and Souta off-Inuyasha had run alongside the car a majority of the time, as there were not enough seatbelts for everyone ("Show off!" Sango had shouted from the shotgun seat)-everyone was exhausted. The Higurashi siblings, and their hanyou, were bidding farewell to their friends when Inuyasha's flip phone rang.

The half-demon, who didn't receive a lot of calls, gave a slight jump in surprise as the cellular phone beeped from his pocket. He whipped it out, knowing before he even answered who was on the other line. "What is it, Sesshoumaru?"

"Be expecting Kagura and myself at roughly nine thirty tonight. There is something we need to discuss."

Inuyasha glanced from Kagome, who stood quietly at his right, to the rest of the company who also listened intently. "What's that?"

"Naraku."

Kagome watched as her fiancé's face drained a bit of color until a darker, angrier hue overtook his tanned skin. (The sunburn had only been a temporary, one day ordeal and Inuyasha had never burned since). She delicately laid a hand on his arm.

The hanyou's left fang hooked over his bottom lip. "What's he up to?"

"We have to welcome him… We will discuss this further later tonight."

"But-" Inuyasha began, yet was cut off by the sharp beep, signaling that Sesshoumaru, once again, had ended the conversation. He gave a short growl before hastily slapping the phone closed and stuffing it in his pocket. "Stupid, lousy…" his voice drifted off into, thankfully for Souta's easily influenced ears, incoherent curses and swear words.

Miroku glimpsed to Sango in the passenger seat and then to Inuyasha. "I guess we will be seeing you soon. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, guys," said Kagome, waving at them as the Toyota drove off.

"Sis?" Souta spoke up from her side. "What's Inuyasha so mad about? Who's this Naraku guy?"

"Never mind, Souta," she answered before ushering him up the shrine steps. "Let's go inside. Come on, Inuyasha." Her cobalt eyes flickered to where her fiancé had been standing only to find he had vacated that spot. Still sensing his aura very nearby, Kagome started up the stairs with Souta toddling up with her.

Inuyasha watched them from the safety of the Goshinboku, wanting to get away for one spare moment-more away from Souta than from Kagome. That kid would probably read him his rights with all the questions he more than likely had. He sighed, reclining against the bark of the sacred tree as his mind began to collect and his thoughts became lucid. "Looks like Naraku's made his first move…"

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

At precisely nine-thirty that night, the Higurashi family was going about their various activities like usual. Souta was back to playing some fighting game, while Grampa was playing a losing game of chess with Mama.

"They'll be here any minute now…" Kagome said quietly, tugging on one of the loose threads on the throw pillow in her lap. "I wonder what they have to say about Naraku…"

Inuyasha sat beside his fiancée on the couch with his arms crossed over his torso. "I'm sure everything will work out fine, Kagome. Sesshoumaru may be a total ass clown, but he does know how to keep his cool." Glancing over, he mumbled, "In the meantime," he snatched the pillow away from her hands, "will you stop fiddling with that?"

"Hey!" she protested, swinging an arm towards him as he leaned back with a chuckle, holding the dark green throw-pillow out of reach. "Give that back!"

"Nothing doing," snickered Inuyasha, waving it up higher as he arched over the arm of the sofa. He laughed more as his fiancée rather gave a growl. "What's wrong, Kagome?" he drawled with a smirk. "Can't reach that far?"

"Give it back, Inuyasha!" Kagome swiped at it again, only to be thwarted like before. She paused for a moment, her muscles coiling a little bit, her mind completely focused on the pillow, Kagome sprung on Inuyasha. She pushed him backwards, the pillow fell from his hands, and she became face-to-face with her fiancé.

Or, more accurately…lip-to-lip.

Kagome's face flared red, as did Inuyasha's. Here she was, sprawled over the length of his body, eyes wide and lips against his while the pillow lay forgotten on the floor. Inuyasha's chest rose and fell evenly, pushing her torso upwards as well in the process while they both continued to make sounds of discomfiture in the backs of their throats. She lingered there for a moment, too stunned at their highly embarrassing predicament.

This really wasn't how she imagined her first, real kiss to be-mashed up against the guy's lips without actually kissing-kissing.

Gingerly, she carefully sat up and backed away a bit, only to have Inuyasha's hands dart out and grab hold of her forearm. "Huh?"

"Don't…" he whispered huskily, drawing her to him, and Kagome found herself obligingly bowing towards him while one of his hands moved to the small of her back.

As she could feel Inuyasha's warm breath teasing the little wisps of hair about her face, Kagome heard a sound rap on the frame of the sliding front door. With a yelp of surprise, the girl tumbled off her fiancé and landed smack on her rump.

Inuyasha had bolted up right, his dog ears ringing painfully. "Did you have to screech so loud?" he moaned as he rubbed at an ear.

"Yes, I did," she retorted with just as much ill-humor as the even knocking occurred once more. "Look, I better get that. Sesshoumaru's here."

"How can you tell?" Inuyasha snapped, now stomping after her.

She whipped her head around to glare at him. "I can sense him, genius. Can't you smell him with that sensitive nose of yours?"

Inuyasha snorted lightly. "Naturally."

With a strangled sigh, Kagome opened the door to find the somewhat amused face of Sesshoumaru and the woman with him that the girl did not doubt to be his wife Kagura, as she herself had never laid eyes on the Mrs. Tanaka Sesshoumaru before. One hint was the expression she shared with her husband, and the other being that she had the same color hair as little Yuki. The obvious air of confidence she gave off, much akin to the fair-haired demon with her, solidified Kagome's assumption-she doubted Sesshoumaru would choose a pushover as his wife.

"A lovers' tiff?" asked Kagura, a half-smirk crossing her red-painted lips.

"Eh…" Kagome shook her head, still warm in the face-there was also no doubt that Kagura would know who she was. "No, just a little bickering with an idiot."

Kagura nodded knowledgeably as the girl let Sesshoumaru and herself in. "Well, you know the old saying: Don't fight with stupid people because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow a tad. "Are you implying something, dear?" he asked, as cool as ever.

She looked to him, removing her long, grey trench coat. "Of course not. Would I ever say such a thing about you?" A flicker of a smirk twitched over her mouth. "You knew well enough to show up to my exhibit tonight."

He strode over and placed a hand on her shoulder before reaching over and taking her coat and slinging it over his arm. "You know I would not have missed it, Kagura."

"I know you wouldn't have dared."

"Well, then," Sesshoumaru chuckled dryly, "there leaves only one idiot in the room…" His pale peering scanned over to Inuyasha.

The hanyou folded his arms. "Keh. Why is that our conversations turn at least once to make me the butt of some joke?"

Sesshoumaru's lip lifted slightly into a semi-smile. "Perhaps it is your natural disposition of being an ass."

"Listen, Sesshoumaru-" began Inuyasha in loud, obvious annoyance as he raised a fist.

Kagome hastily cut of his rant, which would have surely turned into a string of colorful words, by placing a hand over his mouth. "Sesshoumaru," said the irate hanyou's fiancée, managing to keep a forced smile as Inuyasha continued to burble expletives into her palm, "what exactly do you have to tell us about Naraku?" She removed her hand with some satisfaction when the half-demon stopped throwing a tantrum in exchange to hear his brother out.

The older demon stared down at Inuyasha and his betrothed before striding majestically to take a seat on sofa the couple had been previously waiting on.

Kagura followed suit, her long hunter skirt shifting as she crossed her legs. She nodded at the young couple, signaling that it would be best if they also found a place to sit-that this might take some time. She watched with satisfaction as the two understood and found spots-Inuyasha in a blue recliner with Kagome perched on the arm.

Silence stretched indolently as her husband took his sweet time feeling settled. Too much silence had a tendency to annoy her, so, with a flickered glance of her ruby eyes, Kagura suggested, with a directive tone, "Perhaps now would be a good time as any to drop the dramatics and tell them outright, Sesshoumaru." She simpered indulgently as her husband looked to her and returned the expression.

As Sesshoumaru made the final touches of becoming comfortable on the couch, Inuyasha felt a newfound respect for Kagura. She had managed to do the seemingly impossible-make Sesshoumaru do as told. Good thing Kagome did not have that kind of control over him.

"I was contacted by Naraku this afternoon," started Sesshoumaru. "He apparently is making his visit to Tokyo earlier than expected. The original date he was to be here was sometime in May." Absently running a claw over a button, his listless gaze came to light upon his brother. "He has decided to come in a month-he will be here in April. Naraku is…" he leaned back a bit, "mocking us. Or more accurately-you, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha's amber eyes snapped with heated dapples of crimson. "That son of a bitch…!" he hissed behind gnashed teeth, his voice carrying throughout the room in a smothered growl. "How dare he?"

Touching a hand gently to the fuming hanyou's shoulder, Kagome's cobalt eyes moved from her fiancé to Sesshoumaru. "So what exactly are we going to do? This was obviously a…tactic of some sort. We can't let Naraku think we're imbeciles or something." Catching the slight glint in his eyes, the girl continued, "And I doubt you would allow him such a pleasure."

"A vile thing like that is worthy of being crushed," Sesshoumaru said flippantly, as if he were merely commenting on the weather.

"To put it quite simply," furthered Kagura, touching a hand to her husband's in an unobtrusive brush, "from what Sesshoumaru has told me, Naraku is expecting us to throw him such a grandeur party-he'll no doubt bring the press with him, so we're going to give him the finest greeting and make him eat his own disgusting thoughts."

"He'd blackmail you otherwise," remarked Kagome, catching on. "He'd make your family to look rude and your reputations would be ruined."

Kagura smiled softly, almost viciously. "Precisely. We're going to fight fire with fire."

Inuyasha, who had calmed down considerably, or enough to converse without dropping the f-bomb after every third word, crossed his arms over his chest while his fiancée moved her hand from his shoulder. "But where exactly is the irony besides throwing this big ass party? How do we upstage him?"

"This is much like chess, but it's much simpler than you think, little brother," said Sesshoumaru with that familiar gleam of sadistic mischief in his eyes.

"How's that?" queried Inuyasha impatiently.

"Naraku mentioned you by name."

Sesshoumaru's frank reply left both Kagome and Inuyasha flatfooted.

"Well then," Inuyasha was the first to recover, "I guess Naraku's been keeping his eyes and ears alert."

Without batting an eyelash, Sesshoumaru murmured, "Most probably keeping track of Kagome and the whereabouts of Tetsusaiga."

Kagome's face paled a little. "I g-guess so. That would make sense." The idea of Naraku watching her, in any form, freaked her out.

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed into a glare. "So…what the hell's going on?"

"In the great honor of Onigumo Naraku gracing us with his presence," Sesshoumaru said with utmost, deadpan sarcasm, "we will hold a ball of sorts. And to put the icing on the cake, it will be at my summer home-your estate, Inuyasha."

"A ball…in my home…?" whispered the hanyou in disbelief. "Uh, I hate to break it to ya--but I don't know anything about ballroom dancing."

"I am not surprised. We will all meet at the estate promptly tomorrow around midmorning, and will reside there for the remainder of the preparations." Sesshoumaru ran a claw delicately over the back of his wife's hand. "It will be good for you to know the layout of your own home, and a month should be sufficient for that."

"What am I going to do about school?" asked Kagome, feeling a little frantic. "A whole month? But I've mock exams coming up in two months, and I really have to be ready!"

Half-smiling in a rather pleasant way, Kagura answered, "I'll have that straightened out with your school. You're just spending a month-long vacation with your family, and you'll have to bring your schoolwork with you, if you plan to study while there."

Kagome nodded gratefully as Inuyasha spoke again. "Is a month really necessary? We could learn the layout of the place in a week probably." He slouched in the recliner, rocking his fiancée a bit as he did. "What's the point of hanging out and watching all the little preparations being made? I'll be damned if I let that asshole Naraku go by me with out beating the shit out of him."

"That is exactly why Sesshoumaru and I are keeping you two in the mansion for a month," said Kagura, enjoying the irritated look on her brother-in-law's face.

Inuyasha gave another quiet snarl. "Why the hell can't we just annihilate him or something? It's not like anyone would miss him… Besides, chess is a war game, Sesshoumaru, so it'd be fitting at least."

"At least you have some form of common knowledge in that head of yours," quietly retorted Sesshoumaru. "There are, little brother, many strategies one must follow in the art of war. This tactic is knowing how to be refined and defeat your foe through the wiles of society-this, my dear Inuyasha, is something you are ignorant of."

"You fucking bastard…" ground out the half-demon, sitting up straighter as he resisted the urge to rush over and whack Sesshoumaru-it'd probably only help to serve his point. "So what are you going to do, Sesshoumaru," simpered Inuyasha, "teach me how to be sneaky and underhanded without actually doing a damn thing?"

Sesshoumaru's lips flipped into a smirk, solidifying his brother's accusation. "I must take you from social infancy to manhood in one month… I suggest both you and your fiancée pack appropriately."

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I know, it took a while, but I was in a bit of writer's block. School's starting soon, and I still have a few things I need to do, and they take precedence. (See my live journal, or 'homepage for further details). I just recovered from a pretty nasty fall a few days ago, so… I wrote a poem that's getting some cool reviews. Hopefully I'll have more time, and the muses will be in better temperament, for the next chapter.

~Moonlight Shadow