InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Leash ❯ Mustard and Carrot Cake ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Do I honestly need to say it again now? Honestly.
A/N: Wow, the last time I wrote anything up here, it said I was working on finals...first semester finals... Not cool, not cool. I took second semester finals as well, and am now finished with junior year. (I kept saying this was my hardest year...). See, I'm not dead.
 
Someone you should thank: You should all thank my wonderful editor, Notoes, for coaxing me to get back to this. After having this sit on my desktop for a few months, I wasn't motivated to work on it. Why? Because I thought my writing sucked, eheh. So, yes, thank her for getting my butt in gear. Depending on the response I get on this will probably determine how soon I get to writing the next chapter rather than getting totally caught up in Out of This World.
 
To the cousin of Blackkirara: I've never been asked out via review before, and I'm honestly flattered. I just already have someone who is in love with me, and that I am in love with. Thank you, though.
 
Quick things: Sage is not like Kouga! Stop saying that! (Sorry. I don't hate Kouga he just...irritates me...a lot.) Sage is Sage, and you'll find out a little more about my boy once I get this chapter actually started. I thought I already described him, but I guess I'll give him yet another intro. I don't think he'll mind.
 
And where the heck did someone get the idea there was `passion' between Inuyasha and Kagome? There's never been any passion of that genre in this story and that's not about to change. He slept in her room just like he used to at the Shrine. They're still very new to this whole expressing feelings for each other thing, and they're only uncertain teenagers; just because you kiss someone doesn't mean you're suddenly going to be fervent with each other all the time.
 
Kudos to those of you who caught the kiss-on-the-lips thing (I'll explore that avenue later); thank you for catching my error last time, but please, always remember to be kind.
 
Last thing before we start: Sage and Mia are from my actual series (in which they are still in high school and their occupations are different) and, yes, I did think their names up. There's a joke about Sage's name, which you'll all get to see.
 
Chapter Thirty-Three: Mustard and Carrot Cake
 
“Now, now, Inuyasha,” laughingly chided Mia, stepping away from the door, “where are your manners?”
 
Inuyasha grunted indifferently, yet the entire group could see the look of wariness cross his face.
 
“So, where is he?” asked Kagome.
 
Mia smiled as Sage's voice smoothly replied, “Right here.” Clad in a pair of blue jeans and a long sleeved black tee-shirt, the blond-haired man entered the dining hall. He tucked a strand of his loose-curls behind his (currently) human ear with a great smile and a wave at the group.
 
“Sage is a half-demon, too,” Kagome whispered to Miroku.
 
“Really?” He looked quizzically from Sage to his friend. “He looks as if he were totally human. Remarkable.”
 
“Yeah,” Sage agreed as he looped his arm around Mia's shoulders, “but my senses are still as keen. So...I'm supposed to help Inuyasha act more polite? Ha—this should be fun.”
 
“Keh. I'll bet you don't know jack shit when it comes to this.” Inuyasha crossed his arms as Sage smirked back, raising an eyebrow.
 
“Is this a challenge?”
 
“More of a fact.”
 
Mia sighed, tugging on her husband's shirt. “Honey, please don't make this into a competition...or I'll be forced to hurt you.”
 
Sage chuckled at her light, blasé tone. “Aw, don't worry, hon.” He drew her to him gently before ducking down and giving her a peck on the lips. He smiled, kissing her forehead once. “Undeclared.”
 
Inuyasha blinked. Undeclared?
 
Mia nodded at her husband and walked over to the table with him. He pulled the chair out for his wife, she thanked him, and he helped her scoot in. “That's called proper etiquette in reference to a lady. You got that, Inuyasha?” Sage sat down with surprising grace and snatched an apple from the basket. “You walk her to and from the table, unless she's going to the bathroom or something, and make sure her chair is pushed back.”
 
“I understood that much,” the younger hanyou snapped, to which Sage started growling, snatching a knife with slight annoyance and running it over the red skin of the fruit in his hand.
 
“Miroku,” Mia said gently as she pushed herself away from the table, “why don't you go out and enjoy yourself for a couple of hours? Maybe go for a walk or something. Sage and I have it all under control here.”
 
“Hmm? Oh, yes, that sounds like a fine idea.” Miroku rose gratefully from the table. “Inuyasha, Kagome—I trust the two of you will behave. Best of luck.” As he paced to the doorway, he couldn't help thinking that even if Sesshoumaru decided to make his life a living Hell after tonight, he'd at least walk down the primrose path beforehand.
 
“Come on, Kagome,” Mia smiled. “Let's double check your dress.”
 
Kagome got up and toddled after the older woman. “Ok.”
 
Waiting until the girls disappeared into the hallway, Sage fixed a glower on Inuyasha. “Since I have to teach you to be a gentleman in less than twenty-four hours, you'd better pay attention.” He drew the knife over the apple's skin again, eyes not leaving Inuyasha, like a hawk on its prey.
 
“And if I don't?”
 
“Well, then,” the apple skin peeled in an even ribbon into Sage's palm, “Naraku's going to make a total fool out of you.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Kagome and Mia had just finished going over the details of the `improved' ball gown, to which the teenager had gleefully squealed over the seamstress's innovations, when they had decided to return to the dining hall. Now Kagome stood blinking bemusedly in the threshold while Mia sighed exasperatedly from the doorway.
 
The table was a mess, with strawberry jam, bits of bread roll, and cheese littering the tablecloth. Chairs had been thrown to the floor and amongst the wreckage; Sage and Inuyasha were having a sword fight with butter knives....
 
So much for manners in fine dining.
 
“They're not honestly...dueling or something, are they, Mia?” Kagome looked back to the seamstress only to watch as the young woman strode resolutely ahead of her, seemingly unhearing. “Uh, Mia?”
 
“Oh, they are,” she hissed. Just as Sage parried a thrust from Inuyasha's butter knife, Mia sharply yanked him by the collar of his shirt towards her. She released the fabric as he toppled rearwards and landed on his butt. “Sage!” His head snapped up to look at her. Mia was fuming. “I can't believe you! How can you start a fight with your cousin!”
 
“Cousin?” chorused Inuyasha and Sage simultaneously.
 
“Well, yes,” Mia said calmly, “though far-removed....”
 
“Really?” inquired Sage, truly intrigued. “How'd you find that out?”
 
“When I was talking to Sesshoumaru earlier.”
 
“Huh... Who woulda thunk it?”
 
“I don't know, but...that still doesn't excuse your behavior. Either of your behavior! What is wrong with you two morons?”
 
Inuyasha's dog ears had collapsed against his head as her voice rose to a shout. Through a squinted eye he could see her dark brown eyes flicker to reddish-gold. He vaguely wondered if she was part demon, too. He glimpsed at Sage, who seemed to be taking this fairly well, but it was growing more and more evident that, he too, was getting annoyed.
 
When Mia took a break in the middle of her, “I can't believe you would start a food fight just because he made fun of you for looking human!” speech, Sage leapt to his feet, sapphire eyes crackling to a dark ruby. He used his advantage of height over her and hollered back, right into his wife's face, “Why the hell are you yelling at me for?”
 
“Because you're an idiot!”
 
I'm an idiot? You're the one who wanted to marry me!”
 
Mia ground her teeth, before turning to the young betrothed couple—who were now standing side-by-side with wide, disbelieving eyes—with a painfully sweet expression on her face, “We'll be right back.”
 
The pair watched as the older couple crossed noiselessly into the hallway, Sage allowing Mia to go ahead of him before shutting the double doors with a bang.
 
Inuyasha glimpsed helplessly at the butter knife prior to tossing it onto the mess of strawberry jam in the center of the table, whistling innocently; suddenly, inciting Kagome's wrath didn't seem all that enticing. Today was a nice day to play it safe with women, he decided. “So, do you think they're done?”
 
As soon as the question slipped out of his mouth and his fiancée turned to answer, a new yell brusquely broke the air.
 
“YOU'RE BEING MEAN!” they heard Mia shout.
 
“WELL YOU'RE BEING AN UNBELIEVABLE BITCH TODAY! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?”
 
“What's my problem, Sage? I'M LOOKING AT IT!”
 
“ME?! Like I said, YOU'RE THE ONE WHO WANTED TO MARRY ME!”
 
“MAYBE I FELT PITY ON YOU ALL THESE YEARS!”
 
“Wow...” whispered Kagome to Inuyasha. “And I always thought they were happy together.”
 
“Yeah,” agreed the half-demon as the volume quieted to a harried murmur. “Me too. Hey, Kagome?”
 
The girl peered back at him. “Yeah?”
He gingerly took her hand into his. “When we get married, let's not fight like that, ok?”
 
Kagome's gaze softened. “You...you brought it up...you know.... The marriage thing...”
 
“Yeah, so, what's your point?” he asked gruffly, averting his eyes from hers.
 
Kagome smiled, squeezing his hand. “We won't fight like that...and...I'm glad you brought that up, Inuyasha.”
 
His ear twitched towards her and he turned to face her. “How come?”
 
She shrugged, blushing lightly. “I wasn't sure what you thought of the idea now.... I mean...we could—“
 
“DON'T YOU WALK AWAY FROM ME!”
 
”I'm tired of fighting with you, Sage.”
 
“WE'RE NOT FINISHED YET!”
 
“...GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU JERK! LET ME GO!”
 
“NO!”
 
“LET GO!”
 
“NO!”
 
The resounding sound of flesh-meeting-flesh cracked into the room.
 
The couple looked to the door (and cursing Fate again as it toyed with their timing) as everything went dead-silent. Waiting a minute or so, the silence remained, sans the odd muffled noise.
 
“Do you think he killed her something?” Kagome found herself asking.
 
Inuyasha, equally curious, responded, “I dunno. We should probably check.”
 
With mounting worry, Kagome and Inuyasha slunk to the closed doors. They lingered for a moment to brace for...whatever they saw before swinging one door open and poking their heads through.
 
The hanyou's jaw dropped as he blinked. “What the...?”
 
His fiancée simply drawled a noncommittal, “Um....”
 
Sage was hugging Mia to his chest, rubbing her back. His wife had her arms thrown over his shoulders and was currently kissing his cheek, which was a vibrant pink.
 
“I'm sorry I slapped you, Sage,” she murmured before moving her lips up to kiss his temple. “I'm really sorry, I just really was angry with you, and...”
 
He nodded slightly. “I know, babe, it's ok. I deserved it. I was in your face; I should have just left you alone and not grabbed your wrist. You forgive me?”
 
Mia smiled at him. “Yeah, I forgive you.” She finally moved her lips to place them on his, and after a long kiss, whispered, “I really am happy I married you. I married you because I love you. You know that right?”
 
“Of course.” He gave her another short peck on the lips before turning his attention to the young couple in the doorway. “What? Where you expecting one of us to be dead or something?” he laughed.
 
“Uh...” the pair droned.
 
“Sweetheart,” Sage looked down to his wife when she beckoned, “I'm, ah, getting a craving.”
 
“For what?”
 
“Um...frozen carrot cake.”
 
“Carrot cake?” Sage blinked quizzically.
 
“Frozen carrot cake,” Mia corrected. “Oh! And mustard!”
 
Sage did a double-take. “Mustard?” His jaw hung agape slightly.
 
She thought for a moment before bobbing her head decisively with a smile. “Yup. That's all.”
 
Scratching the back of his neck for a moment, Sage chuckled lightly at his wife's rather innocent face. “All right, I'll go down to the store and get you something. And you - “ he jerked his thumb to Inuyasha, “you're coming with me. We need to talk, man-to-man.”
 
Inuyasha blew out his cheeks slightly before letting out a resigned, “Yeah, yeah.”
 
Mia smiled before letting go of her husband, giving him a peck on the cheek and saying, “Kagome and I will clean up the mess you made.”
 
“Sounds like a good idea...and sorry `bout that.” Sage smiled apologetically before stealing one last kiss from his wife and heading down the hall. “Let's go, Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha looked to Kagome, who smiled encouragingly at him with a nod, and stalked after the older hanyou. He eventually fell in step with Sage near the end of the hall. Even so, Sage continued to hum some nameless tune to himself with his hands in his pockets and did not speak until they reached the grand entryway.
 
They both kicked off their house slippers and stepped into their shoes by the door. Sage tapped his boots once before snatching the black leather jacket hanging on the coat stand and slipping it on.
 
Curious, Inuyasha followed him. As he stepped into the noontime sun, Inuyasha stared in wonderment at the shiny motorcycle parked neatly on the crest of the villa's circle drive. “Is that yours...?”
 
Sage smirked. “Yeah. Mia's dad gave it to me when I turned sixteen.” He lifted his helmet from where it was suspended from one of the handlebars.
 
“Her dad? Why didn't yours give it to you?”
 
Bowing his head, Sage slid the helmet on and flipped down the visor before answering. “My old man walked out on me...I didn't meet him until my sixteenth birthday... He never knew me beforehand. He was too busy with his wife and new kids.” He swung one leg over the bike.
 
Inuyasha stared, surprised, but keeping his mouth in a grim line. “Still bitter about it, eh?”
 
He adjusted his position, hands gripped tightly onto the handlebars. “Yeah, but I've got Mia in my life and a pup on the way—my old man is the least of my worries now. The past can't be changed, Inuyasha, but my future is something I can look forward to. It's unknown, and while I can't plan for it, I sure as hell can be prepared. I know that, no matter what, Mia will always be by my side, and I will be by hers.” He turned the key, and the motorcycle roared to life. “I'd give you a lift on this, Inuyasha, but I think I'll make you run alongside for now.”
 
“The hell...!” Inuyasha balked. That motorcycle was so enticing. He really wanted to take it for a ride of his own.
 
There was a smirk in Sage's voice. “Maybe I'll let you ride it later. For now, I don't want to be held responsible for the off-chance that I crash and your head makes brain soup on the roadway.” Knocking back the kickstand with a foot, he revved the engine once. “Ready, cousin?” He didn't wait for a response before zooming down the path.
 
Inuyasha watched for a moment before smirking as well and speeding after on foot.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Kagome looked on as Mia hummed softly to herself, using a wet rag to clean some of the mess from the table cloth. “Um, Mia...?”
 
The young woman looked up. “Yes, dear. What is it?”
 
“Uh...” Kagome scuffed her slipper over the floor. “Do you and Sage always fight like that?”
 
Mia tipped her head before laughing. Her face settled into a comfortable smile as she removed various objects from the table cloth, simultaneously rolling it up as she went along. “No, not really. We get along very well, actually. It's just a matter that, sometimes, we butt heads. Marriage isn't an easy life, and it's not always rosy. But even so...” She wiped another deposit of the assorted mess of jelly and butter, letting her hand linger there, thoughtfully. “I wouldn't change it for the world.”
 
Kagome nodded slightly. She toddled over to help the seamstress finish tidying up the table. They could have used the servants but they were all so hopping-busy that it was probably for the best they were cleaning up themselves Kagome figured.
 
The room was filled with an odd quiet, with the exception of Mia's humming, and Kagome glanced around rather worriedly. Tonight was the night of the ball. Tonight she and Inuyasha would confront Naraku...
 
A shiver ran down her spine. She had a bad feeling.
 
Even so, Kagome shook her head; she didn't want to think about anything negative right now. She was troubled enough as it was and dwelling on it more probably wasn't going to help matters.
 
So, instead, she decided to ask the seamstress another question. “So, how long have you known Sage?”
 
“Too long,” Mia laughed in response. “I'll put it this way, Kagome,” she stepped away from the table and looked towards the girl, “We've known each other so long that I used to beat up Sage when we were kids.”
 
Kagome giggled. “You were always close, huh?”
 
“Yeah... He was always the love of my life.” Mia handed the tablecloth off to one of the servants who came into lend a hand.
 
Kagome looked down slightly. “I always hoped I'd find the right guy. You know, after a few years of getting to know each other and dating... Hm?” She peered up again to follow Mia with her eyes as she moved away from the now-clean table.
 
The seamstress took a seat in one of the chairs near the window and motioned to the other across from her.
 
Slowly, Kagome walked over and sat down, while the servants finished the rest of the cleaning.
 
“Kagome, you were waiting for the long courtship sort of thing, weren't you? The `normal' way of becoming engaged.”
 
“I just wanted to fall in love like a normal person, is all....”
 
Mia nodded slightly. “Just because you didn't meet in the most conventional of ways doesn't make your love any less meaningful or any less real. It just means you were different, and different can be very, very good.” She smiled gently, touching a hand to Kagome's arm. “So, just...go with it. Love comes as it does. Sometimes the most extraordinary love is for the most extraordinary people.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Sage whistled as he walked out of the small grocery store, his quarry swinging to and fro in his plastic bag, while Inuyasha followed behind him, one eyebrow quirked. Smiling lightly as some children ran past towards the beach, Sage glanced back at his cousin. “Why do you look so sour?”
 
“I don't get it.”
 
“Don't get what?”
 
“How you can be a total ass one minute and be Mr. Nice Guy the next.”
 
Grinning, Sage replied, “What can I say? I'm a complex person.” Inuyasha simply snorted as Sage stopped by an ice cream vendor and bought two vanilla cones. Handing one to Inuyasha, he ambled over to the docks and promptly sat down. He waited until his cousin dropped unceremoniously beside him. “I know you and I didn't get off on the right foot, but I will say that I just want this stupid ball to go over well.”
 
Inuyasha grunted and took a lick of his ice cream. “...So, you really think this manners thing is gonna help?”
 
Sage nodded. “Absolutely. It looks good, and basically tells this Naraku guy that you can beat him on any play field, ya know?”
 
“Guess you're right.”
 
“I usually am.”
 
They stared out at the ocean. Sunlight sparkled off it, and boats cut through it as they headed towards various destinations. The smell of sea salt assaulted both hanyous noses, as did the scents wafting down from the villa.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes for a minute. Though he wouldn't admit it aloud, he was getting nervous. And when he got nervous, he got argumentative and snappish - Inuyasha knew that. He'd always been that way. It wouldn't exactly be easy for Kagome, either, but he felt guilty; she'd never had a choice in this matter.
 
If there had been a way to free her from having to marry him...would he?
The real reason for them being together was to protect the Shikon no Tama, primarily, so once that was safely out of Naraku's grasp, there'd be no reason for her to stay. She could get on with her life, and be normal.
 
But, deep down, Inuyasha knew he didn't want that. He knew he cared about her, and he couldn't think of life not with her - she'd become such a big part of his life over the past several months - but... Did he love her?
 
Inuyasha opened his eyes, sighing slightly.
 
He was pretty sure he did, but...the words just seemed to get stuck in his throat. He just couldn't say them. The more and more he thought about the ball tonight, the more and more he wondered if Kikyou would be with Naraku... If, when he looked in Kikyou's eyes, he'd see her again and...
 
No, he shook his head, that's enough. Stop thinking about that. It'll only cause trouble. That old adage of “Thinking negatively will cause bad things to happen” just might come true. He glanced over to his fair-haired cousin; his jacket was off and his groceries were resting on top of it, and he seemed to just be staring into the abyss. “Hey, Sage.”
 
“Hm?” He turned his blue eyes over to Inuyasha, finishing the last bite of his ice cream cone (it then occurred to Inuyasha that he must have polished off his while he was thinking).
 
“What's the deal with you and Mia?”
 
Stretching his arms above his head, Sage let out a pensive sigh. “Well, we just love each other. Not much more to it than that. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love getting the chance to protect her, but Mia's not exactly a damsel in distress. I think,” he looked down smiling at the ocean as it lapped against the posts beneath the dock in wavering circles, “she saved me in a lot of ways.”
 
Inuyasha watched Sage's movements intently. “Whaddya mean?”
 
“I wouldn't be who I am without her. She's taught me how to love and to care, and she's always encouraged me and believed in me when no one else did.” He hunched forward and rested his folded arms on his knees. “She agreed to marry me and give me a child - the pup thing is a running gag between us, just like I'm more of a bumbling fool than a wise man. I'm the un-sagely Sage.” He went quiet for a moment as the sounds of the small ocean town rang through the pair's ears. Inuyasha watched him expectantly. “For all she's done...I owe her my life.”
 
Inuyasha blinked once. “...You think she's done all that?”
 
In the back of his mind, Inuyasha remembered what Mia had said to him: Behind every great man, Inuyasha, there is a great woman who will push him towards that greatness.”
 
Sage smiled lightly. “All that and more. Obligation is one thing, and love is another. Mia gave me a reason to follow my heart and do the right thing. I'm sure you feel that way about Kagome, Inuyasha, even if you won't admit it.”
 
Opening and closing his mouth once, Inuyasha just snorted, but didn't deny it.
 
Shuffling backwards, Sage stood up and picked up the groceries and his jacket. “Come on, Inuyasha. Let's get back before my wife's cravings get really bad. Oh, and I'll even let you ride the motorcycle back.” He grinned.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Sage and Inuyasha returned with Mia's mustard and carrot cake, to which she hugged them both tightly, and ate her food quickly - the carrot cake still frozen. From there, she and Sage had gotten back to work with finishing up their etiquette class. Thankfully, Inuyasha seemed to have a turnaround and was acting like quite the perfect gentleman.
 
Kagome simply beamed.
 
By the end of the lesson, the couple was acting flawlessly poised, and their teachers couldn't be happier. The ball would start in three hours, so Kagome and Inuyasha had to prepare. They walked Sage and Mia to the front door.
 
“Thank you so much,” Kagome said, reaching out and hugging Mia again.
 
“Oh, it wasn't a problem - really,” the seamstress assured.
 
Sage smirked as he snagged Kagome around the shoulders and gave her a gentle squeeze. “Agreed.”
 
“Well, you kids be careful tonight, ok?”
 
Inuyasha looked at Mia quizzically. “Aren't you coming?”
 
“Yes. But, you two must realize - I'm sorry if this'll give you the jitters - but Naraku, and whomever he brings with him, will be paying attention to you two, and probably Sesshoumaru and Kagura.” Mia touched a hand to her husband's arm. “Sage and I will be there for moral support, but I have faith in you two.” She smiled gently.
 
Sage nodded. “Absolutely. Now, scoot your butts inside and get ready. We'll see you in a few hours.”
 
Kagome smiled. “All right. Thank you and see you soon!” She grabbed Inuyasha's wrist as he said, “Let's go!”
 
Watching as the doors shut after the young couple, Mia and Sage exchanged a slow smile. Standing on her toes she gave him a soft kiss to his lips. “So, love...?”
 
“Yes?” Sage looped an arm around her waist as they made their way to where the motorcycle and her car waited.
 
“Do you think they thought that was a real fight?”
 
He chuckled. “Probably.” He pulled her close and gave her a squeeze.
 
“Oh well.” Mia laid her head on his chest, laughing softly. “I'd say our plan worked.”
 
“Mm-hmm. Showed them how not to act. I knew an undeclared challenge with Inuyasha would show him how to behave though." Sage laid his head against his wife's. Now to make sure that Naraku doesn't try and pull a fast one tonight....”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: -dies- Tired... At least I finished this chapter. I do hope everyone likes this, and that I will get more motivation to write more on this. (And I'm now 18. Happy me).
 
Now to continue working on Out of This World and download Final Fantasy VIII music.
 
Moonlight Shadow
 
P.S. Please excuse any `bumpiness' in this chapter...like I said - staring at it for months on end makes one's brain go “duhhhh...”