InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Other Ways ❯ There are other ways... ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thank you for reading chapter one... (-Diana R. Flynn) (drf24@columbia.edu)

STOP! DON'T SUE!! I don't own Inuyasha or any of its characters. Long live Rumiko Takahashi!

.

.

.

.

.

A dream. A terrible dream…

He could still feel the pinpricks of sweat between his shoulder blades as his awareness seeped back.

There had been news of a giant snake that terrorized a village to the north. They'd followed the rumor to another ruined town, and a demon with a round shard gleaming like a lurid eye above its fangs. They'd fought. They'd found it.

Only they hadn't been first.

"Foolish Inuyasha. Why defeat the snake demon when you so kindly do it for me?" he shuddered at Naraku's voice in his brain. Just a dream. He flexed his forearm against the ground, shifting his weight to sit up.

The puppet had smiled its bare, corner-twisting smile, eyes twitching lazily behind the baboon to set on the young priestess. Inuyasha had turned his head long enough to see Kagome's knuckles go white against her bow. Something's coming. The monk muttered a warning.

A growl had built in his throat as Naraku spoke again, "And why defeat you when there are other ways?"

Not another sound. Not another flickered grin. Only motion. The demon's arm had sprung forward, throwing something green and blazing through the air. Kagome had been ready, but she would never be fast enough. He remembered his hands going flat against her shoulders. He'd meant to knock her down, out of the way…

He remembered the feel of her shirt against his palms, of the seething magic against his spine as the eerie green light had seared right through his fire-rat armor and sealed itself around them both.

Her eyes had glazed even has he'd felt her hand jump to his face. She choked something that might have been his name and then-

He was waking up; it didn't matter. Like all his childhood nightmares, the fear and the faces would all be gone before the sun was high. The real world held enough of those things.

Inuyasha braced his sore forearms against the floor and raised his head, inhaling deeply.

And blinked.

"The hell?!"

.

.

.

.

.

This idea has been kicking around in my head for some time now, and the migraines finally got bad enough to let it out to play.

Have I given you a bad review lately? Get revenge!