InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Arrival ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and co. Even if you try to sue me, you'll only get about $7 and a hair tie. So, it's just not worth it.

'…' Indicates thoughts

"…" Indicates words

A/n: I know Sesshoumaru-sama is OOC, but I'm making him act that way on purpose. It's my story, so I can make him that way if I want to ^o^.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

Kagome sat in her room and wept bitterly. Her hair was filthy and matted to her head and her face was sticky from crying. Her clothes were a crumpled mess and she hadn't moved for several hours. She had been in her room for three days and had no intention of ever leaving. She wasn't ready to face reality and move on. Sesshoumaru had been very understanding of that and allowed her to eat in the solitude of her bedroom. The only time anyone dared to bother her was during meals, when a servant would bring her food and some herbal tea to soothe her nerves a little.

Kagome curled up into a tiny ball and wished that she could disappear into her blanket. A knock stirred her out of her fit of depression. She sat up.

"Who is it?" she croaked, her voice hoarse and worn from weeping.

"Sesshoumaru," the voice replied calmly. Kagome paled at the mention of his name. She couldn't face the taiyoukai. Not after what happened when she arrived.

OoOoOo Flashback OoOoOo

Sesshoumaru guided Kagome through the enormous castle to her new chambers, stopping to describe important places that she might need to remember along the way. Kagome listened halfheartedly to his explanations, more interested in the architecture of the building surrounding her. She was so caught up in gazing at the ceiling that she failed to notice the taiyoukai's sudden halt, therefore, she bumped into him. She stepped back and blushed deeply.

"That is what happens when you do not pay attention. Now, this is your room. You may go anywhere in the castle except for the room at the end of the hall. My quarters are to your left. Meals are served at 8:00am, 1:00pm, and 7:00pm. You will be there on time if you wish to eat. Clothing has been provided in your closet. I will send a servant to tend to you later. Any questions?" he paused for a reply of some sort.

"No," Kagome mumbled sadly. Sesshoumaru was not satisfied with her answer, but let the conversation drop and left down the hallway toward his private library. He needed time to think and was sure that Kagome did as well.

Kagome opened the door to her room and was instantly awe-struck. Her room was simple, yet beautiful in its simple elegance. There was a queen size bed with violet silk covers. There was a door leading to a small balcony with a pretty view of the western forests. There was a large wooden wardrobe closet, which, she presumed, was an antique. There was an ivory desk with writing supplies as well as a small bookshelf on the far wall, opposite the door. What really caught Kagome's eye, however, was a large painting above the desk.

There was a young woman, clearly a great demoness, with a young demon in her arms. While the boy was smiling happily, the woman wore an expression of forlorn hope. The sadness and love radiated off of her. It was evident that she loved that child in her embrace very much, but there was something else, something wrong.

Kagome stared at the picture very hard for a few moments before gasping in shocked recognition.

'That boy... it's Sesshoumaru when he was little! I can't believe it! He looks so innocent and sweet. He was a cute little boy… like Souta and Shippou. He's still just as good looking as ever-' Kagome immediately ended that dangerous train of thought before it could go any further. 'Well, at least it got my mind off what happened.' Kagome climbed up onto the bed and wrapped herself in the warm, soft covers. Before she knew it, she had drifted off into a light, fitful sleep, filled with horrible nightmares of her anguish with Inuyasha.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

Late that night, when the moon was near its peak, Kagome awoke in a cold sweat. She sighed and tried, however futile it proved to be, to go back to sleep, to sleep away her loneliness and suffering. After about ten minutes of tossing and turning, Kagome pulled herself out of the bed, kicking off her tangled covers in the process. She looked around. The room was very dark, the only light being provided by the moon's pale glow. It was then that Kagome noticed a door across from her bed. She stepped hesitantly toward it and turned the doorknob. The door creaked open noisily. Kagome observed the room carefully. It was furnished more nicely that hers, but still not excessively so. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the bed, or rather, who was sleeping on the bed. She took several curious steps, until she was standing less than a foot away from it. Kagome paled when she realized that she was staring into Sesshoumaru's now wide-open amber eyes. His face was contorted in a snarl and he was growling. It sounded rather feral, too. The young priestess gulped.

"What do you want?"

<^>^<^>

Sesshoumaru had been woken from his sleep by the sound of a door creaking open. He didn't bother moving, believing that the intruder would leave once they saw him sleeping. However, when the faint scent of jasmine and spring rain assaulted his senses, Sesshoumaru bolted up and met the gaze of the girl who had been plaguing his dreams. He growled warningly at her, but it came out sounding a bit more feral than he liked. The effects of his dream still had not worn off. He had to stifle a moan at the thought of Kagome writhing in pleasure beneath him, her quiet moans begging him for more, her delicate fingers on his body.

Sesshoumaru shook his head almost imperceptibly. He knew that he was going into heat. His mating season was swiftly approaching. That was the only logical explanation he could deduce for his dreams and thoughts. Besides that, he could tell. He could feel it. His instincts were having a stronger effect on him than usual. He quickly turned his attention to the cowering miko beside him.

"What do you want?" he snapped at her, his voice harsher than he had wanted. He reprimanded himself when he saw her flinch at his tone.

"I-I couldn't sleep. I saw that door over there and was c-curious where it led to," she explained, slowly backing away from the growling dog demon. "G-gomen ne."

"Leave now," he commanded harshly with a growl. Kagome noticed that his breathing was labored and that his eyes held a predatory look. "Leave right now or you won't be leaving tonight at all." Kagome took the time to look him over once, causing her to blush profusely as she noticed his arousal. She slowly backed away from the bed and out of the room, closing the door courteously behind her.

OoOoOo End Flashback OoOoOo

"Kagome?" Sesshoumaru's voice inquired worriedly. Kagome snapped out of her reverie and gave him a shaky response.

"C-come in," she stuttered. The door slowly opened to reveal the Demon Lord of the Western Lands. He slowly stepped in, followed by someone Kagome had never seen before in her life.

"Kagome, your training will begin today. Get ready immediately." With that, Sesshoumaru left, closing the door behind him. Kagome stared at the door in shock.

"Training…?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

A/n: Sorry this chapter wasn't very long. It was kind of typical, too. Anyway, my computer got messed up and right when I finished typing this chapter, it crashed and my file and some important stuff got erased so I had to redo it. It was longer, but I don't have the time to type all of it again. Sorry. Also, suggestions, structured insults, compliments, ideas, etc. are ALWAYS welcome!

Japanese Words:

Taiyoukai: demon lord

-sama: lord (very exalting honorific that can be placed at the end of a name)

miko: priestess (It literally translates as village virgin.)

gomen ne: I'm sorry/ I'm so sorry

Review Responses (I get so few of the that I can actually respond to each one ^_~)

Aira^o^: omg. I completely forgot about Shippou!!! Poor kit's been alone with a pervert and a total jerk. He's probably scarred for life. Anyway, thanks for reminding me about him. I'll fit him in real soon. ^-^

Black canary: Glad you think it's interesting. I don't, but I guess that's just me hating my own work. lol

Yokai Yume: He is acting pretty strange, ne? Well, I guess he feels for Kagome and wants to protect her since he couldn't protect his mom. Also, in my story, he has always respected her for her courage in battle and her amazing abilities to put up with Inuyasha and for using the subduing spell XD.

Kinyta: I'm glad you like it. I hope it stays as good.

Godzylla3: You have a natural talent for flattery and giving people too much credit. Not that it's a bad skill to have =D ! Well, I have a tendency to slack off as I get into my writing. It always seems to get worse as I go along, so I hope you can help keep me on track and tell me when it starts to happen. It would really be appreciated.

Please r/r!!!!!!!!!!