InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Confusion ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: Okay, here is the deal with Kagome's training: Yukio will train her in the beginning. Then, Sesshoumaru will want to spend more time with her and away from Nika, so he uses the excuse of wanting to ensure Kagome's proper training to do so. He also will want to protect her from the Hentai. But, that'll be in the next chapter. Cause I don't feel like typing a long chapter right now. Next chapter will come real soon. Okay? Okay ^_~.

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or Sesshoumaru. I am just stealing them and making them act out what should really happen in Inuyasha!

-Sesshy: Yeah, that's right! I get the girl!

-Inu: No you don't! She's MY shard detector!

-Sesshy: She chose me as her owner, not you!

-Inu: Take that back, you bastard!

-Sesshy: You're the bastard… and Kagome's mine!

-Kagome: What am I, a toy that you guys don't wanna share?

-Inu: Damn straight!

-Kagome: (smiles) Inuyasha…

-Sesshy: Bad move, little brother.

-Kagome: Osuwari! (Inu crashes to ground)

-Sesshy: Let's get on with the fic already!

'…' Indicates thoughts.

"…" Indicates words.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

Sesshoumaru swiftly crossed the countless beds of flowers to where the Tsubaki, and hopefully Kagome, were located. He shook his head and tried to organize his thoughts and gain control of the situation. It unnerved the taiyoukai to no end. Ever since Kagome had entered his life, he had lost control of himself and his plans. She turned everything inside out and upside down. Yet, for some reason, he found himself enjoying the thrill of not knowing what to expect from the mysterious priestess.

He looked down when he felt something attach itself to his leg, knowing very well that it was Rin. He pet her head and stared at her apologetically. Kagome stood a bit aloof as the two wordlessly made up. Sesshoumaru cast her a sad glance before moving to pry Rin off his leg. The girl eventually complied and took off for the flower fields. Sesshoumaru motioned for Kagome to walk beside him and she obeyed the unspoken command. They strolled leisurely toward the energetic youth in the field ahead.

Sesshoumaru was the first to break the silence.

"I apologize for my behavior earlier." Kagome stared up at him, shocked. She was about to respond when he continued. "I offer no excuses for my lack of control, something required in a taiyoukai, even if they are in heat. I am sorry." Kagome looked off into the distance.

"It's not me you should apologize to. Rin was the one you hurt… but it looks as if she already forgave you." Sesshoumaru's brows furrowed. That wasn't the answer he wanted.

"Do you forgive me? That is what I asked for." Kagome's smile widened. She looked at him, their eyes locking in an unbreakable link. The look in her eyes displayed her forgiveness to him, but Sesshoumaru would not accept that alone. The uncertainty in his eyes tugged at her heart.

"I forgive you," she whispered, knowing that he needed to hear it, his reasons being his own. Sesshoumaru reached out and embraced her, holding her close to him.

"Thank you, Kagome," he whispered in response. He slowly and reluctantly released her, before she became suspicious of his intentions. Kagome just smiled at him, completely unaware that the last of his control was quickly slipping away. He moved to close the gap between their bodies.

Kagome instinctively took a step when she saw him drift closer to her. She instantly became aware of the predatory look in his eyes. The moment came to a startling halt, however, as Rin approached them energetically with two handfuls to weeds and flowers, ignorant of what had just been about to occur.

"Rin picked flowers for Kagome-neechan and Sesshoumaru-sama!" she handed them the flowers and returned to the field to pick more. Sesshoumaru looked at the cloudless skies above. Kagome watched Rin prance happily around under the warm sun. They remained that way, basking in the warm rays of sunlight and each other's strength.

"I have found a trainer for you. You will train in kenjutsu among other arts under this person. Is this acceptable?" he inquired. She nodded absently, not really noticing that he, the Lord of the Western Lands, asked for the approval of a human miko. "Good. Then your training will begin tomorrow after breakfast."

"Thank you… so very much, Sesshoumaru," she said softly. Sesshoumaru looked at the human standing next to him and realized that she was speaking to his as an equal, from one person to another.

"For what, Kagome?" he asked her softly. Her eyes became glazed over with sadness.

"For rescuing me… rescuing me from Inuyasha and Kikyou, from myself… You kept me sane; you still do." Sesshoumaru nodded in understanding. He understood all too well, except, he had never had anyone to comfort him… except Nika. That was why he was so patient with her, why he put up with her teasing and flirtatious attitude. However, for some reason, he couldn't stand it anymore. He had never even thought to do that before Kagome arrived. She did something he thought no one would ever be able to do; she opened his eyes and his heart again. He would never admit it to anyone though. He was secretly and silently grateful.

"I am glad I was able to help you." With that, Sesshoumaru turned and left. Kagome watched his retreating figure curiously.

"Glad to help me… since when? He's a strange one." She went to play with Rin for a while, to get her mind off the taiyoukai who had as of late been extremely kind to her. Rin welcomed her company with a toothless grin and a squeal of delight. Kagome began absently holding the flowers Rin gave to her and weaving them into little flower crowns while she was deep in thought.

'Why is Sesshoumaru. Who is usually trying to kill Inuyasha and I, being so nice and understanding? Maybe I should ask him… no I couldn't do that. He would probably think me ungrateful and revert back to his old self. I don't want him to stop treating well. For some reason, I care about his opinion of me. It's almost as if I… I think I should ask Hana. She seems understanding enough to at least listen to me. She is the only female I can talk to. I'm sure as hell not gonna talk to Nika!'

Eventually, she gave up picking flowers and decided to talk to Hana about her problems. Rin was left alone in Jaken's care [a/n: I almost feel bad for the disgusting thing…ALMOST].

Kagome found Hana within minutes. Unfortunately, the demoness was speaking to Yukio and Katsuga. The young miko sighed and reluctantly left down the hallway. Along the way, she bumped into someone and fell back onto the floor from the impact. She heard the loud complaining of the person she had collided with and winced.

"Watch where you're going. I was standing here for ten minutes and you come along and disturb my train of though! Are you blind? What's your problem? Are humans really that dense?" Nika stopped when she smelled salt. She looked carefully at the human girl before her on the floor and sniffed, confirming her suspicion of smelling tears. The Nika reached down and offered her hand to Kagome. Kagome looked at her as she sighed agitatedly. She felt the human take her hand and effortlessly lifted her to her feet.

"You humans are so frail. Did you just hurt yourself or something?" Nika asked disdainfully. Her tone was soft though, showing her genuine concern. Kagome shook her head and burst into tears of frustration and confusion. The female youkai's eyes widened considerably before she hesitantly reached out and put a comforting hand on Kagome's shoulder. Kagome immediately leaned into her and Nika rubbed her back gently.

"What's wrong? Tell me what's troubling you, human." Nika's voice was gentle and soothing. Kagome looked at her and Nika immediately led the sniffling girl to her room, understanding Kagome's silent plea for privacy. She sat down next to her and waited for her to talk.

"I am confused." Nika remained silent, allowing Kagome to put her troubles into words. "I used to travel with Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru's younger half-brother. I was in love with him, but he loved someone else. I was just a shard detector and his love's reincarnation. I knew that, but I couldn't help what I felt for him. Then, I saw him mark her as his mate. I ran away from them, from him. Sesshoumaru was my enemy up until that point in time, but he brought me here and took care of me… cared for me. He has been infinitely understanding and kind to me, yet I don't know why he would care if my heart was broken. He even put his pride aside to apologize for acting so rudely at breakfast. He hugged me. Why is he acting like that? Is he playing with my feelings and emotions in my time of weakness? I don't understand it at all!" Nika, who had been listening intently the whole time, hesitated before answering.

"I think it's because he sympathizes with you. He has felt great pain and loss because of Inuyasha. It is not my place to tell you what transpired in his past, only he can tell you such things, but it is obvious to me that he wants to be the one to heal you. If he saves you, he might be able to move on and clear his conscience of his mother's death. He still blames Inuyasha for destroying his family and for the death of his mother, and he blames himself for not being able to stop his mother from dying," Nika explained. Kagome smiled at the demoness.

"Nika, Sesshoumaru must really love you! You're the best!" Nika smiled arrogantly.

"Of course I am! Nothing but the best for my Sesshy!" They both laughed. Kagome smiled at Nika thankfully.

'I guess she isn't so bad. She is actually not the airhead I thought her to be, but a very wise woman. She is very understanding and kind when she needs to be, too. I hope we can become good friends someday.'

"Oh! Before I forget, let me remind you to keep your filthy human hands off MY Sesshy!" Nika commanded with a huff, her tone dead serious. Kagome sweat-dropped.

'Or, maybe not…'

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>