InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Heartbroken Again ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha and Co. (But I do own Nika, Yukio, Katsuga, Yukino, Tsukino, Reiha, and Hana ^_~.)

'…' Indicate thoughts.

"…" Indicate words.

Overcoming the Past

Chapter 18: Heartbroken Again

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*

Kagome sighed and sunk deeper into the bubbling water of the hot spring. She smiled as she recalled overhearing the rather inappropriate conversation of the two taiyoukai she had come to know and love dearly. It had surprised her at first when Sesshoumaru had accused Yukio of lusting after her; she had always thought he was just pretending. What surprised her even more was when Yukio returned the accusation, telling Sesshoumaru to end whatever lusts he had toward her. Kagome fumed when she thought about how he didn't deny that his feelings toward her were entirely lustful. But then...when he left the room and she saw the look in his eyes, she felt all of her anger dissolve. He looked so guilty and confused and she felt her heart ache at the memory of it. There was the proud taiyoukai and the heir of the Western Lands standing in the hallways and ready to beg the forgiveness of a human girl for desiring her body. How the mighty have fallen!

"The poor guy..." she mumbled. "Those to will probably hold a grudge for a long time. I wish there was something I could do to fix things between them, but I am the cause of the problem."

"That's not true, you know, Kagome-chan." Kagome turned around and saw Nika standing there in a bath robe staring down at her. Kagome blushed slightly at being caught talking to herself naked while bathing. "Their pride and honor is the problem. They are still men, no matter what species they are."

"You heard?" Kagome asked quietly, her voice displaying her discomfort. Nika nodded while she stripped and joined Kagome in the water. After relaxing for a long moment, Nika continued.

"I was talking to Tsukino and Inutaisho in the room down the hallway." Kagome paled when she heard that, but Nika didn't seem to notice or care and continued. "Inutaisho was really angry when he heard that you were the object of their desires. He turned red in the face and began to bellow bizarre orders to the servants. I left before he could snap at me and make me do something like cleaning or cooking..." Nika then seemed to recognize Kagome's panicked expression and tried to calm her down. "I'm sure that he won't say anything to mean to you; Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha are too protective of you to let that happen. I think I am now, too." Kagome laughed softly at her last comment.

"To think you used to hate me. It's funny how things have turned out. When I first came to feudal Japan and began to search for the shards of the Shikon Jewel, I thought for sure that I would end up with Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru would play no part in my life...but when I met Rin, I began to wonder whether or not I had misjudged him and now he and I are...well...I don't really know. He is really important to me, but I don't think it's the same with him. I am just a way for him to feel better about losing his mother and I am dispensable when he is done." Nika laughed and patted Kagome on the head like a child.

"Don't even worry about, Kagome-chan. Sesshoumaru may not act like it, but I think that you might very well be the one he values most in his life. He really does care; I can tell. I'm surprised, however, that you cannot."

"If that was true, then why doesn't...why can't he...why is it I am so afraid he doesn't care about me the most?" Kagome exclaimed, tears forming in her eyes. She gasped when she realized what she said. Nika smirked and pinched one of the miko's flushed cheeks.

"You're so cute, Kagome-chan! You're cute, but incredibly naïve when it comes to love. You want him to care because you care. It's that simple." Nika's smirk grew into a wide, goofy grin. "Don't worry about what others say, just follow your heart and things will work out the way they should." Kagome stared pensively at the demoness before her.

"How do you know, Nika-san?" Nika smiled knowingly and wiggled her eyebrows.

"I have my ways..." came her reply before she rose and wrapped herself in a robe. "Now, I'm gonna go find my Sesshy before his father or the old hag does!" She looked back over her shoulder and smiled winningly at her friend before exiting the room and closing the door behind her. Kagome remained in the water for a few more minutes before getting out and changing into the kimono she had been given not too long ago. She stepped out and turned her head to find Sesshoumaru waiting beside the doors, leaning casually against the walls in a way that Kagome could only describe as 'sexy.' She blushed when he turned his gaze to her and examined her from head to toe, his eyes hungrily tracing every curve of her body. Kagome blushed deeper when he didn't say anything but continued to stare.

"Ano...Sesshoumaru?" Her words seemed to stir him from his stupor and he lifted his eyes to her face, slightly embarrassed to have been caught admiring her figure. The kimono she was wearing showed just enough of her body to catch someone's attention, but left enough to the imagination to keep him wanting more.

"I would like to apologize for my unacceptable behavior as of late. It is inexcusable, regardless of my reasons and motives; they are irrelevant. You shouldn't have had to hear such things."

"Sesshoumaru-" Kagome began, only to be gently cut off.

"Please accept my apology." Kagome hesitated, not knowing what to say, but quickly nodded when she saw he was waiting for an answer. The taiyoukai let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding. "Thank you."

"Everyone says or does things that they regret sometimes, Sesshoumaru. It is the only way my species can grow. Humans depend on it, and I am almost certain that youkai aren't too different in that respect, judging by the way you've trained me." Sesshoumaru grunted and held back a light-hearted chuckle.

"You are too observant for your own good, Kagome," he noted. Kagome frowned at him in irritation.

"You aren't much better, you know. You are the one who encouraged me to analyze everything with great diligence and care," she argued arrogantly. Sesshoumaru could no longer suppress his amusement. Kagome noticed this and also began to laugh, realizing just how comical they sounded quarreling over nothing. Sesshoumaru looked out the window and noticed that the moon had risen rather high.

"Come, you missed dinner as well, didn't you? I am sure you are hungry." Kagome stomach growled in response to the idea of food. She blushed and Sesshoumaru smiled slightly before turning toward the dining room with Kagome beside him, talking and laughing along the way.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

When they arrived in the dinning room, Sesshoumaru and Kagome both took a seat in the middle of the long line of chairs and Sesshoumaru ordered a light meal to be set out for them. Kagome noticed that he did not sit at the head of the table as a taiyoukai normally would and decided to ask him.

"Sesshoumaru, why aren't you sitting where you usually do?" Sesshoumaru looked at her and then at his normal seat before answering.

"There are many higher youkai here who deserve respect. While my father is here, he is the true Taiyoukai of the West. Besides, I would much rather sit next to you." Sesshoumaru was pleased when his last comment evoked a blush from the innocent maiden beside him. The food was then served and eaten in a comfortable silence until Yukino wandered in and took a seat, ordering a servant to bring her a salad of some sort. She glared at Kagome, her eyes displaying nothing but hatred for the miko and Kagome found herself returning the glare with a fiercely possessive gaze of her own. Sesshoumaru watched the exchanged with interest. He was certain that Kagome wasn't aware of the challenge that Yukino's scent was suggesting, but noticed that she had somehow accepted it anyway. After a long staring match, Yukino huffed and stood.

"You are nothing to me; remember that. Sesshoumaru is mine. He would never lower himself to having any serious relations with a human wench like you," Yukino spat belittlingly and smiled when Kagome's resolve wavered. She then turned to the stoic Sesshoumaru. "Sesshoumaru-sama, I suggest you remember who you are and what your responsibilities are as heir of the western territories of Japan. This adolescent plays no part in your future. Break off whatever connection you have with her now if you care at all for her well-being, before Reiha-sama has an opportunity to send her assassins to take care of your business for you. I hope you will head my warning, Sesshoumaru-sama. I have no desire to see you in pain over a human." She watched Kagome for a few more fleeting moments before scurrying out of the room, satisfied that she had gotten her message across.

Sesshoumaru turned to look at Kagome questioningly when she let out a sigh of relief. She saw the curiosity in his eyes and decided to explain.

"I was really scared! She looked like se was ready to bite my head off or something." Sesshoumaru just continued to stare at her and Kagome grew self-conscious. "What exactly are you staring at, Sesshoumaru?" Sesshoumaru started when she put a hand on his forehead and another on her own. "Nope...you don't have a fever... What's with you?" The taiyoukai looked away, purposely avoiding her eyes.

"It doesn't really matter..." he mumbled before rising from his chair with indefinable grace that only Sesshoumaru could possess. "Thank you for having dinner with me...but it won't ever happen again. You are a liability to me and this Sesshoumaru will not tolerate such weakness." With that, Sesshoumaru stalked out of the room, leaving a confused and distressed Kagome sitting alone at the long dinner table.

"Did I do something wrong?" she wondered aloud, not noticing that she was not alone in the room. A tall figure stepped out of the darkness and approached Kagome, stepping quietly so as not to be heard.

"Kagome..." Kagome stood and whipped around to face the person she had been avoiding since his arrival.

"Inuyasha..." she replied, her voice wavering slightly. She noticed the serious expression on Inuyasha's face.

"This is why I didn't want you to get involved with a full demon like Kouga or Sesshoumaru, Kagome. Their pride is most important to them and it doesn't matter who you are to them; if you do something to displease them, they deny ever knowing you." Kagome didn't speak and Inuyasha could smell the salt of her tears. "Please don't cry, Kagome. You've shed enough over me; you don't need to cry for him, too. Sesshoumaru's a jerk anyway!" Inuyasha froze when he felt Kagome threw herself into his arms and cry harder.

"I don't even know what I did. I am so sick of this high society... I want to go home!" she cried, burying her face in Inuyasha's fire-rat kimono top. That was when she noticed the charm necklace dangling around his neck. She lifted it into her hand and opened the heart-shaped locket. Inside were the pictures they had taken in a photo booth in her time. She dropped it and looked at him sadly. "I'm sorry." Inuyasha gave her a pained smile.

"I did it to myself. It was my own stupidity that blinded me and left me in the dark...led me to make all the wrong decisions," he paused and looked down at her devastated small form. "Don't take the easy way out, Kagome. It's not worth it."

They remained silent and Inuyasha comforted Kagome far into the night until her tears subsided and she fell asleep in his arms. Inuyasha lifted her up bridal style and carried her to her room. He lied her down and tucked her in, brushing his lips against her forehead before exiting the room. Once outside, he leaned against the door and collapsed to the floor. He lifted the open locket into his hands and stared miserably at the faces smiling back at him. A single tear rolled down his cheek and onto the picture.

"I'm sorry..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*