InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming ❯ Shattering Events ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Ten: Shattering Events

~*~

Kara had stayed a total of 7 days with Sesshomaru and Inuyasha thus far, realizing that she had felt the most at home than she had since she had moved to Japan. Inuyasha was like her brother… and Sesshomaru… a friend with benefits it seemed… She blushed, thinking about the handsome and complex senior. Yes, he definitely was complex. He contradicted himself, most always changed how he felt about things and was hard to figure out. Kara never knew what he was thinking.

She hadn't once seen a trace of any parental units around the Taiyoukai (A/N: Last name. I couldn't think of anything creative so I just figured I use it because in a regular story it would be Sesshomaru's title… yadeeyadeeya…) household and was wondering if they actually had living parents, or were they a case like she was?

"Yo Kara," Inuyasha called into the living room, making her jump a bit from her sprawled out position on the couch. He popped his head in the doorway from the kitchen, staring at her.

"What?" She replied, leaning her head back so it draped over the couch, her vision catching the junior boy in upside down distortion.

"What's our homework for Chem. on Monday?" He asked, disappearing back into the kitchen and out of her sight.

Kara yawned but answered him, telling him it was on page 396 and that they had to balance equations and find the mol-to-mol ratios* of all the substances. "It's getting late and it's not too hard so don't stay up too late, Inuyasha," she told him as he passed her on his way to his room.

"Gotcha. `Night," he mumbled, heading down the hallway and out of sight. Kara heard the distant sound of a door closing. She yawned and made herself more comfortable on the couch, too lazy to actually go downstairs to her own bedroom. Anyways, she might be able to catch Sesshomaru when he came home from work. Kara drifted off to sleep without a thought in her mind or a care in the world.

She awoke when she felt heat and weight sag into the couch on top of her body and a light touch brush her forehead. Her eyes fluttered open, slightly blurry from sleep but she could make out Sesshomaru's attractive face and could smell a hint of his deodorant, feeling slightly turned on because it smelled so good. She smiled softly at him, her hands going up to roam in his hair, stopping when she felt a small bump on his head, one she had never noticed before.

Sesshomaru's golden eyes widened as she searched the area on his scalp where his scar was and instantly distracted her by groaning and closing his eyes, lying down on her body, trapping her beneath himself. She gasped but relaxed, her soft body like a mattress beneath him.

"You know what? For weighing much more than I do, you're not squashing me to death, Sesshomaru," she whispered playfully in his ear, arching against him so she could stretch and have slightly more freedom to move. The senior chuckled, propping himself up on one elbow to look at her, his hand going to run through her soft, fragrant chestnut-mahogany hair.

"But of course. I am just so capable that I do not squash you to death when I lay on you. I have better things to do," he replied, rolling his eyes, acting annoyed. He started to get up when Kara grabbed his hand and pulled him back down, her arms sliding around his neck, seducing him into a kiss that surrendered him back to his spot on the couch. His arms snaked around her slender form and traced the curves of her body softly as their mouths worked against each other, their soft moans disappearing into the caves of the other.

Sesshomaru broke the kiss, his lips trailing down her soft throat. She gasped sharply when he came to where her collarbone and neck met and the senior smirked. One of her ticklish spots… "No, don't do it Sesshomaru…" she scolded him, her voice slightly husky and dissatisfied.

He was about to raise his hand to tickle her when the sound of the back door bursting open caught both of their attention. Kara's eyes widened when Sesshomaru leapt off the couch, getting to his feet quickly, his body rigid. "Sesshomaru?" she whispered, sitting up but he look he gave her silenced her.

Kara heard someone stumble around in the kitchen, hiccupping and letting out burping sounds as a stranger walked hazily into the living room. She looked at him in confusion, realizing who this man might have been. He had long flowing white hair and for an older man was extremely handsome. He was very built, much like both of the Taiyoukai boys but had a slightly more mature aspect to him. Cold, golden eyes viewed the scene around the living room, seeing Kara lying, disheveled on the couch and Sesshomaru looking ready to either run away or pounce on him. He's their father… she thought, unable to move under his intensive and scrutinizing gaze.

"Why the hell's it so dark in here…" Sesshomaru's father mumbled, taking a swig out of a beer bottle that was clutched in his hand. "And why's a girl like this in our house at this hour?" He asked, his deep and hoarse voice that was bittered by the liquor seeming impenetrable.

"I'm Kara-" Kara began to say and stood to bow and introduce herself formally when Sesshomaru put out his hand and made her sit back down. She did so, wondering why he did that.

"It's not your business, father," Sesshomaru said firmly to his old man. The elder white-haired man's eyes narrowed in anger as his position became rigid also. Kara realized that rigid=angry for both father and son.

"What do you mean it's not my business? This is my house you little brat," he growled, taking a long gulp from his bottle.

"It's not anymore. You only come here once every two weeks and you don't even pay the bills anymore. I take care of the house. I don't live off of your financial support anymore," the senior shot back, glaring up into his father's angry golden eyes. Sesshomaru was extremely tall, most likely 6"2 or so, but his father was at least three inches taller than he was.

Kara watched them bicker and argue for a while before she stood between them, her eyes hard. "Both of you. Stop it," she said, silencing the both of them. "Father and son should not fight like this," she added, shying away when she saw the horrifying look that Sesshomaru's father was sending her. He continued to give her that frightening stare before he laughed and coughed a bit after.

"Sesshomaru, you'd do well to shut your little ##### up. Do you pay her to fight your battles for you?" The older man asked, watching as Kara's face blanched and Sesshomaru's rage started to grow.

"Don't you ever say that again, you old bastard," The senior growled, his voice dripping with malice and well concealed anger. His muscled form trembled slightly as he fought his control well.

"Why? What's wrong? Does this ##### actually mean something to you? I thought you were all for finding a well prized woman in the future, not paying women to spread their slim legs for you to give you joy," His father spat, shoving Sesshomaru out of the way so he could better look at Kara. He approached her, looking her over. "Besides. If you're done with her, I'd like to take a round," he chuckled darkly, tears sliding down Kara's cheeks as she screamed when he grabbed her around the waist.

Kara tried to fight his grip, kicking him in the shins and biting his hands that had traveled up to touch her face and knot in her hair, but he was too strong. "Sesshomaru!" she cried, pleading. "Inuyasha!" she called out, hearing stomping from down the hall.

"Dad!" Inuyasha yelled, Sesshomaru and himself both leaping on their father while he continued to touch Kara. Inuyasha was thrown with ease by one of his large, bulking arms, slamming his head against one of the stereo speakers, while Sesshomaru, too stubborn to admit defeat, got his father in a headlock.

The boys' father let out an array of choking sounds while he grasped his eldest son's arms, dropping Kara as she scurried over to Inuyasha, slapping at his cheeks lightly and calling out his name to bring him back to his consciousness. Sesshomaru's father managed to break free from his oldest son's strangling grip and threw him backwards. Sesshomaru was ready for this and leapt to his feet, gasping and falling to the ground in pain when his father's beer bottle made harsh contact with his back, pieces of glass scattered about as the smelly fluid entered into the seeping wound. He lay there motionless, unable to believe what had just happened. He heard Kara call out his name and heard her shrill cry when she was forced backwards by his father.

"Sesshomaru," he heard his father's voice call, his deep, hoarse voice mocking a soothing nature. "You will never take me down. You will always be younger, smaller and dumber than I am," he added, chuckling down at the young man who was now lying in a pool of his own crimson blood and liquor.

Sesshomaru looked up just in time to see Kara advancing quietly behind the older man, holding up a folding chair and felt somewhat relieved.

"He may be too injured to take you down, but I'll finish you off for him!" Kara yelled, slamming the metal folding chair down over Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's father's head, watching with relief and slight guilt as he pummeled down onto the couch, unconscious. It was at this moment that Inuyasha groaned and sat up slowly, massaging a developing lump on his head.

"Oh Kami-sama…" he muttered when he got a good look at his older half-brother. "I'll go call an ambulance and the police…" he said quickly as he rushed dizzily to the phone. Tears slid down Kara's cheeks as she dropped the chair she had been holding and splashed down into a puddle of blood next to Sesshomaru.

"Sesshomaru… Are you still with me?" she asked quietly, her voice cracking. He did not move his head but his eyes moved to meet hers. Kara let out a sob of revelation and put a hand to her mouth as she went to remove his shirt.

"No. Don't do it," he told her, his voice raspy from pain, as he winced. "It… hurts…" he said, his voice in wonder and disbelief.

"I have to look at it. Inuyasha's calling the hospital so let's clean you up a bit before we take you there," she told him, keeping herself as rational and calm as possible so she wouldn't upset him. Sesshomaru groaned when she removed his tattered and bloodied shirt, wincing when she tried to mat up some blood with a washcloth. "Stop complaining," Kara teased, kissing him on the top of the head. "At least you don't have glass shards wedged in your back," she finished, hearing him grunt in annoyance. At least he was still being his normal self. It helped to keep her emotions at equilibrium.

After Kara had dabbed up most of his blood, she helped him to sit up gently, minding his back. She pulled him to his feet, knowing that he used some leg strength so it wouldn't have been so ####### her to pull him up. Sesshomaru leaned on her slightly for support as he stood, his eyes closing as he bore his pain. The young woman ran her fingers soothingly through his hair to keep him calm and giggled a little.

"Even though you were lying in all of that blood, your hair is still a pure and beautiful white. You're amazing," Kara whispered to him, kissing his bare chest as she laid her head on it.

"No, you are. I never knew you had that in you… You… saved me," Sesshomaru's baritone voice said into her ear, his breath tickling it. "Thank you…"

Kara looked up in wonder. He had thanked her? Uh oh… That wasn't a good sign. And in fact it wasn't. Sesshomaru's body started to become heavier as it sagged down onto the floor in unconsciousness. Kara was worried but knew that he would be fine once the ambulance came to get him. Her gaze went over to his father who was knocked out. It would be a whole lot safer around here when they took him to jail too…

"The authorities'll be here in a few minutes," Inuyasha told her, his hand clutching his head. "My head hurts! AUG!" He complained. Kara took the time to quickly wash the blood off of the wooden floor before it stained and then got the junior boy an ice pack.

The police came and questioned Kara and Inuyasha, cuffing the older man who was lying unconscious on the couch when they had heard Inuyasha's side of the story about the abuse he inflicted on Sesshomaru all of his life, taking him away. Then, the ambulance arrived, taking Sesshomaru.

"You kids want to ride with him in the vehicle?" A woman asked, her dark eyes questioning both of the high school students as Sesshomaru was carted in a stretcher out to the ambulance.

"I'll drive over later. You can go, Kara," Inuyasha told her, ushering her along. Kara nodded and followed the woman, stepping carefully into the vehicle next to Sesshomaru, watching him with heavy eyes as the ambulance drove to the hospital. He was unconscious the entire time.

Kara wanted to go into the room with Sesshomaru when they arrived but was forced to be out in the waiting room. "He'll be fine in a matter of hours. We'll come to get you, we promise. Is that young man your boyfriend?" A nurse asked her in calm curiosity.

Kara's face turned beat red. I don't know… Is he? "Um… Well… sort of…" she half-responded.

"I see," the nurse smiled all-knowingly, disappearing into the room.

~*~

Sesshomaru's eyes flitted open when a bright light shone into the room. He groaned and looked around, not knowing where he was. His back was in pain still but not so much that he couldn't move. He looked to his side and saw Kara sitting in a chair, her upper body resting at the foot of his bed in a peaceful sleep. To rouse her, he moved his feet around, startling her as she jumped and looked around quickly, gasping in surprise when she saw him sitting up, staring at her.

"You're awake!" she exclaimed as a happy and relieved smile lit her features. "I was so worried!" She ran to the head of his bed, gently falling into the embrace he was offering her. She sighed and kissed his neck gently, relaxing more when he smelled her hair.

"Where is my brother?" he asked emotionlessly.

"He's getting some food I guess. I was half-asleep but I could still hear him whining about the headache he had and about how hungry he was. OOH! Saturday morning cartoons!" Kara exclaimed, reaching over Sesshomaru and grabbing the remote to the TV that was above his adjustable hospital bed. After she turned the TV on, the senior cupped her face in his hands, kissing her softly before she replied with emphasis. His tongue slid into her mouth as he tasted her and groaned at how delicious she was. Kara responded to him, her lips twisting in unison with his as they deepened their desperate kiss, breaking apart when someone cleared their throat.

"Now that was something I didn't need to see…" Inuyasha mumbled, his face red. Kara's face beamed and she disentangled herself from Sesshomaru. "HA! I KNEW IT! You guys DO have something going on!"

"Shut up, brother. You're making an ass of yourself," Sesshomaru said in monotone, his eyes shifting to the door when Kagome's head popped in.

"I came as soon as Inuyasha called me! Are you all alright?" she asked, her high and sweet voice worried as she entered the room.

"We're fine," Kara replied, sitting down in a chair to watch the television, her cheeks still flaming slightly. Her eyes met Sesshomaru's and she ducked behind her hair to hide more blushes that threatened to surface.

Things were different from that day. Sesshomaru realized that it was not just physical attraction he had towards the girl named Kara. It went deeper. So deep that he realized… he might have fallen in love with her…

(A/N: End of the chapter! Do dee do dee do! My birthday was yesterday! SWEET SIXTEEN!)