InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Regrets ❯ Accepting the Consequences ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This was originally posted to Issekiwa on February 10, 2012 for Prompt #143 Pause or Paws. Tied for 2nd place.

I didn't originally intend to write this piece but then I saw the prompt and decided I should show Shippou learning about the consequences of his actions. I know it's short but the prompt had a limit of 250 words. I thought about expanding it like I did the previous parts but decided it could stand as is.

Title: Accepting the Consequences
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Prompt: Pause or Paws (Issekiwa)
Genre: Friendship
Word Count: 248
Warnings: None
Summary: Alone in camp, Shippou considers breaking his punishment. Part of Painful Regrets.

--------------------------

Shippou glanced around the empty clearing before his eyes settled on the yellow bag sitting innocently against a tree. His paws itched to reach inside and grasp the candy he knew it contained. Candy he hadn't been allowed in days. Glancing around again, he saw no sign of anyone returning to camp yet.

Slowly, he began to inch his way toward the bag. 'What's one treat?' he reasoned to himself. It seemed like months instead of days since he had any of the sugary treats. 'Nobody needs to know.' Within arm reach of the bag and the treats hidden within, he stopped. Kagome's disappointed face flashed before his eyes. His head dropped, then he shook it.

“No, I was bad,” he whispered. “I don't deserve any treats.” He never wanted to see that look on her face again. He turned back to his task of clearing a pit for the fire, without looking back at the bag.

From the tree they had paused behind on their return to camp, Kagome gave Inuyasha a knowing smile. “See? He knows he was wrong and he's accepting his punishment. Told you withholding treats and assigning chores would be punishment enough.”

He snorted. “Alright, you were right. Kid can learn. Happy?” He had been so sure the kitsune wouldn't be able to resist the allure of the candy.

Re-entering camp, they were immediately greeted by a happy Shippou who remained none-the-wiser that his earlier actions had been witnessed.


Converting /tmp/phpyrTnuP to /dev/stdout