InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox: The Power of Letting Go ❯ Prologue: Letting Go ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan Inc. and Viz Media.
Story and all original characters created are owned by me.
 
 
 
Letting Go
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Prologue
 
 
Feudal Era: Eight years after the defeat of Naraku
 
 
“Oh, Kagome, what a pretty ring!” Sango lifted up Kagome's hand, examining the metal band on her friend's finger. The three jewels nestled between a cluster of diamonds were sparkling red from the glowing embers of the fire.
 
A movement at the doorway went unnoticed by both girls because they were so caught up in the moment of examining the pretty bauble.
 
Kagome flexed her fingers, her eyes sparkling as much as the stone. She smiled widely at her friend. “It's an engagement ring.”
 
“Engagement ring?”
 
“It means that I'm getting married.”
 
Sango couldn't contain the stunned expression on her face. “Married…?”
 
Kagome beamed, oblivious to the fact that she and Sango were no longer alone in the hut. “Yes, I'm marrying the man of my dreams. I'm so excited.”
 
A loud gasp from the doorway made Kagome whirl around and face a shocked looking Miroku. She caught a swirl of red and silver as the bamboo mat fell back into place.
 
Miroku composed his features and stepped forward. “Kagome, you're getting married?”
 
“Yes, Miroku. I guess you heard?” Kagome looked anxiously around Miroku's shoulders. “I… um… InuYasha… I should go explain…” Kagome brushed past Miroku, but his hand shot out to stop her.
 
“Let him calm down. From the look on his face, I'd say he was in shock at your news and, quite honestly, so am I. He's been waiting for you…” Miroku trailed off, a slight disapproving look on his face.
 
“No, Miroku, it's… it's not like that. You don't understand…” Kagome's eyes shone bright with unshed tears.
 
Sango stepped up beside her friend and put a supporting arm around her. “Miroku, Kagome cannot help who she falls in love with. You are in love, are you not, Kagome?” She shot her friend a questioning look.
 
Hurt blossomed up Kagome's chest at her friend's inquisition. “Yes! Of course, I am. He's the love of my life!”
 
Sango softened her features as she noticed Kagome's discomfort. “I'm sorry, Kagome. I didn't mean it like that. It's true that InuYasha has been waiting for you, almost pining for you. It's been five years…” Sango didn't want to continue hurting her friend with the way the discussion was going, but Kagome had to know the truth.
 
“Oh, Sango, Miroku, it's not like that!”
 
Miroku's interest was piqued. “What do you mean?”
 
“It's just so complicated!” Kagome gave into her tears as she broke down and sobbed.
 
Sango shot Miroku a distressed look. The monk heaved a sigh and gestured towards the fire and mat. Sango caught his gesture and nodded as she steered the distraught girl towards the center of the hut. She pulled Kagome down beside the fire as she prepared to boil some water for tea.
 
Miroku sat down on the other side of Kagome and waited until the girl's sobs subsided. As soon as her cries became mere hiccups, Miroku began to speak, “Kagome, we don't mean to upset you, but maybe it's better if you explained why it's so complicated?”
 
Kagome clutched her head and squeezed her eyes shut, distraught at the thought of the hurt hanyou. “I have to talk to InuYasha. I have to make him understand!”
 
Miroku simply shook his head. “I think it's best to let InuYasha calm down. Knowing him, he's off fighting a few trees.”
 
“All the more reason I should go to him!” protested Kagome as she started to move up off of the floor.
 
A hand on her shoulder gently but firmly pushed her down. Kagome shot a questioning look at Miroku.
 
The monk's face was solemn and firm. “Let him go.”
 
Those three simple words shot an arrow through Kagome's heart. Looking down at her clenched hands, Kagome softly confessed, “I already have.”
 
Miroku raised an eyebrow and let the remark slide. Kagome would tell him and Sango when she was ready. “We are still your friends, Kagome. You can confide in us, and we will support you, no matter what.”
 
Sango nodded her agreement and poured hot tea for the three of them before sitting down beside her grief stricken friend.
 
Kagome grasped her cup tightly as if seeking the warmth and comfort from the brew. Taking a deep breath she looked at her friends, not quite sure where to begin.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
A few hours and many cups of tea later, Kagome emerged from the hut. She was drained and confused, and her eyes were red and puffy from all of the tears that she had shed for InuYasha, her friends, and herself.
 
After she explained why she had been absent for the last five years, her friends offered their sympathies for her plight and her heartbreaking choice. They were at a loss at what to say. In the end, they said nothing. They simply sat by the fire giving her their unconditional love and support
 
Kagome took comfort in the knowledge that her friends knew her secret, even though they could do nothing to help her. That they knew the truth gave her the strength to continue her course.
 
After a while, Miroku and Sango updated Kagome on their life in the slayers' village and regaled her with tales of their growing brood. Soon the talk turned to old times as they reminisced on past adventures. Although it was left unspoken, they all knew it wasn't just InuYasha she was saying good-bye to it was the Feudal era, to all of them. Once she was back in her own time, Kagome would never cross the well again.
 
As daylight faded to dusk outside, Kagome said her farewells to Sango and Miroku. Sango clung on and cried at losing her best friend, not caring about the fact that she had not seen her in the last five years. The finality of Kagome's departure was almost too much to bear.
 
Miroku simply looked at her sadly and pulled her to his chest, whispering softly in her ear. Kagome returned the hug, nodding at his request.
 
She had already said good-bye to Shippo the previous day, before he left to go to the Kitsune Temple. It was hard to say good-bye to the little kitsune cub that she had raised, but she hadn't seen him for five years and, in that time, he had grown up. With InuYasha, Sango and Miroku's help, he had made a life for himself without her. They all had. They had let her go five years ago. Now, it was time to do the same. She had to let her friends go.
 
She had to say one more good-bye before she left the hardest one yet. Rubbing her tired eyes, she heaved her backpack onto her shoulder and wearily started off towards the Goshinboku tree in search of InuYasha.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
He sat in the tree staring off into the distance, her words echoing in his numbed mind… I'm marrying the man of my dreams I'm so excited … With each replay, the knife thrust harder into his heart until it was bled dry.
 
His troubled thoughts turned to the past week as events replayed themselves over in his mind.
 
When Kagome showed up in the Feudal era a week ago, the first person she saw was InuYasha. On that day, for some unexplainable reason, he was drawn to the Goshinboku tree. Now, he knew why. When he saw the familiar hand reach up out of the well and he smelled her sweet scent, it was as if time stood still. He raced to the well and helped her out. He was elated to see her again. Then reality came crashing down as he remembered the last time he went to her time.
 
At first they were shy around each other, not sure what to say or do. After all, it had been five years since she had left and, quite frankly, they did not part on the best of terms. After she hesitantly told him why she was back, he pounced on the notion of helping her. He escorted her to the slayers' village where Sango and Miroku had settled down.
 
On their journey there, they tiptoed around each other, carefully treading on the shaky foundation of their friendship. He was unsure how to bridge the widened gap between them, but then Kagome offered an olive branch, and InuYasha hesitantly took it.
 
By the time they reached the slayers' village, the ice had melted and Kagome and InuYasha's relationship, while still fragile and unsteady, had eased into a comfortable companionship of old.
 
Sango, Miroku and Shippo were ecstatic at seeing their friend and had enthusiastically agreed to help when she briefed them on the reason for her return.
 
A week of traveling with Kagome by his side made InuYasha feel alive again. Joking, laughing and teasing, the group had fallen back to their old camaraderie of years past when they were hunting down Naraku. Sure, it didn't matter that they were all eight years older, or the fact that Miroku and Sango were now married and had a family together, or that Shippo was almost as tall as Kagome. InuYasha could close his eyes and envision how they all used to be in the days before the separation. With only the six of them Kirara had joined them as well it was easy to live that fantasy.
 
Now, she had done what she had come back to do, and InuYasha was going to lose her all over again. He closed his eyes and breathed through his mouth as the pain in his chest constricted.
 
A sudden movement caught his attention before her sweet scent was carried up to him.
 
“InuYasha…” Kagome's soft voice called out
 
InuYasha pressed himself closer to the branches. If he didn't come down, then she couldn't say good-bye, then she couldn't really go, could she?
 
When he didn't answer, she begged him to come down.
 
When the scent of fresh tears hit his nose, he silently cursed and dropped down beside her.
 
Crouched in front of her, he looked at the woman standing silently watching him, her eyes red and swollen. This was the woman whom he loved with all his heart. He would do anything for her anything.
 
She reluctantly explained why she had to go, her voice breaking up. It was hard to catch her words in between the sobs and hiccups. She faltered when she said that she was going to get married.
 
He stared at her with disbelief and betrayal. She was in love with another man. His numb mind could not process the fact that she had no intention of ever coming back. She was leaving him again.
 
Kagome slowly approached him. When he did not move away, she hesitantly put her arms around his waist and hugged him with all her might.
 
He clutched at her, squeezing her body to his, holding onto her as if she was a lifeline and he was a sinking ship. Somehow, his lips found hers and he kissed her with unrestrained force, unleashing all the betrayed passion in his soul.
 
Kagome feverishly kissed him back, all rational thought flown from her mind. InuYasha this was her hanyou, the one that she loved. And she had to leave him
 
Gasping as she pulled to the surface of reality, she pushed him away, shaking her head. “No… No, I can't do this.” Her voice shook with wretched emotion. “I have to go…” She tentatively took a step back, then another and another, until she was running, running to the well, away from the man she loved.
 
InuYasha stood in shocked silence, his body frozen and his feet betraying him as he watched her approach the well.
 
He stared at her with desperation lacing his eyes. His voice was harsh and low when he begged, “Kagome, don't go…”
 
Kagome paused with her back turned to the hanyou. Her head was hung low and her breath came out in ragged rasps. She dared not to look up look at the pain etched in InuYasha's face.
 
Miroku's words suddenly came back to her; the words he whispered reassuringly in her ear before he let her go, “Don't worry, Kagome. We'll take care of him for you. Live and be happy.”
 
“InuYasha… you have to…” Kagome swallowed audibly. You have to let me go.”
 
With that, she jumped into the well.