InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pinkie Swear ❯ Coming Home ( Chapter 13 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
 
Week/Prompt: Week 1: Cold Comfort
Word Count: 250
Rating: PG
Summary: At the end of Sesshoumaru's wanderings, he returns to where his heart is.
Warnings/Author's Note: Character death. Written for mf_sanctuary on LJ.
 
=#= Coming Home =#=
 
She sits in the cold alone, playing with the snow. Her little body shivers, her fingers are clumsy as she carefully packs and smoothes until a form takes shape under her industrial hands. Sweet and beguiling, perfect in its entirety, the snow puppy sits looking up at her with adoring eyes. She sings to it a wordless humming of a lullaby as she pats it delicately on the head.
 
For a long, long time, he watches her.
 
Her actions become more and more lethargic; her head droops as her hands turn blue and her misty breath comes slower and slower. Her head turns, and she looks at him for the first time.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama,” her lips form the words and the wind sighs his name.
 
Matted snow falls from his shaggy coat as he squeezes between two pine trees to stand before a tiny, weathered grave marker. His frailty is such that he can easily fold the great length of his true form into the small clearing, his ragged tail tucked neatly over his nose as he lies down in a circle around her.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama!” she says with more vigor, struggling to her feet as she runs over to bury her face in the bristly, steely grey of his fur.
 
His canine whuff is an affectionate, tired greeting as he patiently endures her clamoring until she is snugly tucked under his chin. The small, hard warmth of her body soothes him, and his last breath comes out as a contented sigh.
 
=#=