InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
 
It was four years before Sesshoumaru was able to return to look in on the hanyou and his mother. He traveled silently and without care to the outcropping of caves he had told the human woman to go to and yet upon arrival, he found the cave to be empty. He was able to still find Inuyasha's scent, stale and old though it was, but Izayoi's was long faded and barely discernable.
 
Following Inuyasha's scent, Sesshoumaru found the hanyou lying barely alive ontop of a fresh grave. The stone at the head of the mound held but one claw etched kanji - “mother”.
 
“Pathetic,” the inuyoukai said his face and eyes like stone.
 
Seeing red spots in the hanyou's silvery hair and on his claws, Sesshoumaru knelt down and looked closer at his half brother. A single silver brow rose, the hanyou had tried to claw off his own ears. Seeing the deep gash at the base of his left ear the inu stood, Inuyasha had nearly succeeded. It was clear to him that the pup hadn't eaten in at least a week, he most likely hadn't left his mother since he'd buried her.
 
“Father?”
 
Sesshoumaru's cold golden eyes snapped to the hanyou's face. The pup was too weak to move, but his golden eyes, Sesshoumaru could see his father in those eyes and it angered him beyond measure.
 
“Don't be a fool half breed,” Sesshoumaru said cruelly. “I would never lower myself to sire a pathetic hanyou such as yourself. Be glad the woman no longer has to bear the shame of your existence. It was not of my choosing that we share the blood of my father. It was your birth that caused his death.”
 
“Know this half breed,” Sesshoumaru's voice was cold as ice - as death. “It shall be I who brings death upon you. I shall be the only one to kill you.”
 
Inuyasha watched Sesshoumaru walk away. Letting his eyes close tiredly, Inuyasha returned to an uneasy sleep, his dreams dark and frightening.
 
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
 
Golden eyes opened onto a dark night lit only by the embers of the dying fire below. White puppy ears swiveled around as he turned his eyes down onto the sleeping group below. He hadn't thought back on that night in such a long time. In his own way Inuyahsa supposed that Sesshoumaru was promising his protection, but it sure never felt like it. Wanting for a distraction, he was both relieved and worried to find Kagome awake.
 
The hanyou's brow furrowed in concern. This was the fifth night in a row that he had found the girl awake. She had been so quiet and distracted lately and it had him worried. He hadn't meant to spy on her as she bathed, but it was then, two days ago, when he had seen that her back was covered in bruises, cuts and scratches.
 
Leaping quietly from his perch high in the tree, he snatched the miko from the ground and retook his place in the tree. Kagome looked upat him as he removed his fire rat haori and wrapped her up in it. He'd been making her wear the fire rat robe a lot more lately and although she'd wondered why, she'd also been secretly thankful for it. Feeling the cloth wrapped around her, warm with his body heat and heavy with his scent always made her feel safe and comforted.
 
“Go to sleep Kagome,” Inuyasha said as he tucked the girl into his arms and cradled her against his chest.
 
“Inuyasha,” she breathed his name tenderly.
 
Kagome tucked her face into the crook of his shoulder, sleep pulling heavy at her eyes. With a tired yawn, she fisted her hand into the white under kimono covering his chest and let sleep claim her. Mine Inuyasha's youkai blood and human heart spoke to him at once.
 
“Mine,” he agreed aloud, his arms tightening around the girl.
 
Looking down over his pack once more, Inuyasha blinked slowly. Tucking his face into the curve of Kagome's neck, the hanyou let sleep claim him as well.
 
 
 
<A.N.: Know that while this chapter is short, and my accessibility to a computer is rather limited, I am back. Sorry it's been so long.>