InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Protective love ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is a fan fiction. Anything OOC or against the plot is because of that. If you want the real deal, read the real deal. Rumiko Takahashi is a far more skilled storyteller anyway. And she is the one who owns all the characters as well. Nothing to sue here, people.
 
 
 
Kagome sat by a muddy pond. Her body was acing and her senses tingeled, indicating there was an evil yokai nearby. She was used to be aware of that by now. Here, in Narakus lands, no place was safety and every breath of air was stained with evil from the terrible yokai. Kagome raised her head to see the lands. It was all spoiled. No sun, no greenness, nothing of the good things in life was to be found here. Rotten corpses of the humans and yokais who had been foolish enough to try to defeat Naraku was scattered on the ground, making the stench in the air even more foul. And, some yards away, was the two small huts she and her friends had built. One for Inuyasha so he could recover from his latest encounter with Naraku and another one for Sesshoumaru, Jaken and Rin. It was morbid huts, built of wood, rocks and scrapped metal from weapons.
 
// But we needed to have some kind of shelter, otherwise Kaede and Miroku couldn't put up those strong barriers. And without barrier, Inuyasha would already be facing Naraku again - and Rin would be off to do anything she thought would help Sesshoumaru.// Kagome thought. // More so, Inuyasha has completely lost his grip since Kikyo was killed... //
 
Kagome averted her eyes and faced the pond again. It hurt too much to think of Inuyasha, to think of the way he still loved Kikyo in death and beyond. How he even found the hatred and jealosy of a dead woman placed in a fake body of clay and bones more loveable than Kagome - and always would. Tears filled Kagomes almond eyes and she held the last Shikon shard in a tight grip.
 
// I must remember that this pain only proves that I love Inuyasha. I musn't be fooled to believe that the jealosy and pain that comes with it is something bad or evil. I'm a human, that's why I feel that way. But I will only act out of love, not jealosy, anger or pain! //
 
The Shikon shard shone with a strong, light-pink light in her hand and Kagome looked at it with a sad smile.
 
// Who would have thought me shattering the Shikon jewel would bring me so much pain but also so much joy and love? I am thankful for that, even if the price is high. //
 
Kagome gasped as the shard suddenly lit up in a white flash of light, forcing her to close her eyes not to be hurt. A humming echoed in her ears and her body suddenly relaxed as the awareness of danger suddenly left it. Kagome opened her eyes. She was sitting on a green field, flowers everywhere and birds singing in the sunfilled sky. Next to her sat a miko in priestess clothing. Kagome had never seen her before and yet she knew instincivly who it was.
 
“Midoriko...” Kagome whispered.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
 
“FUCK! Inuyasha yelled and tried to squirm out of the thight ropes he had around him. Let me go, let me loose, I'm going to kill Naraku!”
 
“You can't do that. You're not healed yet!” Mirokus voice was stern but tired, as if had said the same thing one too many times.
 
“Besides, there's nothing you can do to defeat him”, Shippou added.
 
Inuyasha gave the poor kitsune a look that could have killed, but compared to the glaring gazes of ice Kagome could give it was a mild ogle. Kaede sighed and stood on her feat.
 
“This is the truth, I'm afraid. There is no yokai who can defeat Naraku by strength alone. We need to purify the Shikon jewel, and only Kagome can do that.”
 
“THERE'S NO WAY KAGOME'S GOING NEAR THAT CREEP! I AIN'T GOING TO ALLOW IT!!”
 
Inuyasha tried yet again to free himself from his ropes and screamed as his movements opened up his wounds. The rest of the group looked at him with a mix of surprise, pity and sadness. Only a few weeks ago, Inuyasha would have insisted on bringing Kagome along, assuring in a cocky voice he would protect her from any harm. This showed all to clear that even Inuyasha deep down knew Naraku was out of his league. Sango suddenly turned to Miroku and asked:
 
“Hey Hoshi-sama, where is Kagome anyway?”
 
Kaede was the one to answer.
 
“She's outside thinking for herself. I'll go get her.”
 
Kaede gave the tortured Inuyasha a stern eye.
 
“Perhaps she can make this one move less and heal more.”
 
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, what are we going to do now?”
 
Rin sat opposit to her chosen Lord and her eyes were worried. Her uncle Inuyasha was hurt and auntie Kagome was crying all the time. In her heart, Rin-chan was sure that Sesshoumaru-sama somehow could make everything better, but it seemed he was not up to do it right now. Jaken stepped up and shoved his face in Rins.
 
“How dare you ask Sesshoumaru-sama that? Don't you know it's up to him to tell us if he feels like doing so? Of cause Sesshoumaru-sama can do anything he wants! And whatever he wants to do, I'm sure YOU are not part of it! You are just a rude, silly human!”
 
“Jaken.”
 
The deep voice resounded in the small hut and Jaken turned around, shivering, to face his Lord.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama, gomen, she's just so stupid and stubborn, she does not know her place yet -“
 
“Rin's question is not improper. However, this Sesshoumaru will not answer it now.”
 
Rin immediately started to smile at his words. Her Sesshoumaru-sama was going to do something in time, and that was all she needed to know. Sesshoumaru saw her and felt that strange feeling inside once more. He could not leave Naraku be, since his goal was to become the strongest yokais of all, but there was more to it. His worthless halfbrother of a hanyo was this very moment recovering from yet another close-to-death encounter with Naraku. Sesshoumaru would never admit it to himself, but a part of him had always considered Inuyasha as a member of the pack since he was halfbrother by blood. Now also Jaken and Rin was meber of the pack, as was also the followers of Inuyasha. Especially the miko, Kagome, who had so often come to Rins aid. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha both recognised her as the highest ranked bitch in the pack. But for now, there was nothing they could do. Inuyasha had to heal first. Then, when fully recovered, he could be the decoy Sesshoumaru needed to come close enought to Naraku. And then, Sesshoumaru would kill that discusting yokai.
 
 
Kaede saw Kagome sitting by the pond. She was too far away to be considered safe and that worried Kaede. She walked as fast as her old legs could take her but it still took several minutes for her to end up by Kagomes side. Panting, Kaede was about to scold Kagome when her miko senses suddenly told her to harken. Swiftly Kaede took another look at Kagome, who calmly raised her gaze to meet hers. Kaede took a deep breath as she saw the strong and steady glowing of miko power surrender Kagome.
 
// This is more power than Kikyo ever had. What has happened here? //
 
Kagome rose and faced Kaede, her movements graceful and clam in a way they hadn't been for ages due to hurt, pain and tiredness. This starteled Kaede, but she was even more starteled by the look of determinent peace i Kagome's eyes. Kaede has seen that look before. Her elder sister Kikyo had that look in her eyes for just a few hours, once, a long time ago. That peacfull knowing of how to end something hard, she had looked that way after she and Inuyasha had come to an agreement. He would wish to become human and she would be free of her task. However, it didn't work out as they planned. But what had happened to Kagome?
 
“Kaede. I must ask you to bring the others, save Inuyasha and Shippou. I need to talk with you all, even Sesshoumaru, Jaken and Rin.”
 
Kagomes voice was as calm and sweet as ever, but it had a tint of sorrow. It was the voice of someone who had already made up her mind and was prepared to face the conseqences. Kaede knew she had to obey her as her senses recoginsed her as a priestess of the highest rank.
 
“Hai, Kagome-sama. I will bring them.”
 
“Oh, and Kaede. Please bring me more arrows as well. I will need them.”
 
 
 
“HEY! Where d'ya think you're going without me? If you're going to fight Naraku, I'm coming too!”
 
“We're not going to fight Naraku. Kagome has something to talk to us about, we'll be back in a moment.”
 
Miroku spoke over his shoulder as he left the sealed hut to unseal the other to let Rin out. In this hut, yokai or hanyo was not allowed to leave. In the other, humans wasn't.
 
“Then bring Kagome here instead so I can hear too!”
 
“You are not fit to participate in a conversation. Kirara and Shippou will keep you company and look after you, so just relax and heal.”
 
Sango used the tone that clearly told Inuyasha that this would be the scenario, but he still refused to give in.
 
“If you're going to speak about Naraku I must be there too! He's mine to kill! Lemme talk to Kagome!”
 
Nobody responded and Sango left the hut. Shippou and Kirara crawled into a corner as Inuyasha started to growl and then with a spat tried to untie his ropes. He hated the feeling of his torn body, hated the feeling of Narakus poison flowing through his veins and he hated to feel weak. He couldn't help his rage, couldn't help that he was embracing it - because behind the rage was the sorrow. Kikyo. He had now forever lost Kikyo and that knowing alone left Inuyasha at the boarder to madness. He tossed and turned on the floor, trying to get free, growling all along. Shippou hugged Kirara for comfort. He hated to see Inuyasha like this and he could understand why Kagome did not want to see him. He only wished he and Kirara could have been allowed to come to the meeting too.
 
In time, Inuyasha stopped fighting. Panting, he fell into an exhausted sleep laying on his side. Shippou silently walked up to the tortured hanyo and looked into his sleeping face. There was no peace there, no ease or relieve. Whatever was in Inuyashas dreams it was as bad a reallity or worse. Shippou exchanged an eye with Kirara who transformed and padded to the other side of Inuyasha. She lay her body along his back for support and comfort, her head alined with Inuyashas. Shippou crawled into the space between Inuyashas chin and arms and nuzzeled into his chest. It did not take too long before Inuyashas breaths was more at ease and his face relaxed. He dreamt that his love was cuddling behind him and their little child was safe in his arms. In the dream he was sure who his love was even without seeing her face. For this feeling of comfort and safety, it could be only one...
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------