InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Puppies and Memories ❯ Puppies and Memories ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Puppies and Memories
By Majicman55
 
 
“Hello, Mama.”
 
Mama Higurashi nearly dropped the teakettle when she heard that voice. “Ka-Kagome?” Mama turned around slowly, certain she was hallucinating.
 
“Yes it's me, Mama.”
 
Mama hurriedly set the teakettle back on the stove and rushed to embrace her daughter. “You have been gone for so long. I…we thought we had lost you.”
 
“I'm okay, Mama. I'm fine.”
 
“But it's been months since we saw you!”
 
“Ah. Well, as to that…”
 
“…and you had me so scared with your talk of it being the final battle and whether the well would still work.” Mama looked at Kagome. “You won, didn't you?”
 
“Yes, we won.”
 
“Miroku and Sango?”
 
Kagome giggled. “They made it.”
 
“And Shippo?”
 
“Yes, Shippo too. He still lives now. Not too far from here, either.”
 
“He does?”
 
“Yeah. I think he wants to meet his grandmother.”
 
Mama smiled. “Did Sango's poor brother survive?”
 
Kagome looked down and sighed. “No, I'm afraid not…but he did die with honor and made Sango very proud of him.”
 
Mama screwed up her courage. “What about InuYasha, and Kikyo?”
 
Kagome frowned slightly. “Kikyo found her own peace, of sorts.” Kagome decided not to tell Mama about how Kikyo had helped them defeat Naraku; but then had tried to kill her when she had pleaded with the undead miko not to take InuYasha to hell with her.
 
“And…and InuYasha?”
 
“Oh. He's outside in the car.”
 
“The car?” Mama was perplexed. “I thought he didn't like cars.”
 
“He's used to them.” Kagome paused. “It's been a long time.”
 
“But, dear. If you came back through the well months ago, why didn't you come see me then?”
 
“I…we…didn't come back through the well.” Kagome looked out a window at the old well house. “Nobody will travel through that again.”
 
“Then how?”
 
Kagome smiled. “When Naraku was defeated and the Sacred Jewel made whole, all that remained was to make an unselfish wish and the jewel would disappear forever.” Kagome fidgeted a bit. “InuYasha did not wish to become full youkai anymore, so he offered me the jewel so that I could make the wish.”
 
“And did you?”
 
“Sort of. We argued about it for days. You remember how we always argued…right, Mama?”
 
Mama Higurashi giggled. “But I could tell you loved each other.”
 
“Yes, we did…and still do.” Kagome continued, “One day I tried to give the jewel back to InuYasha, but he wouldn't take it. We were both holding the jewel when it began to glow. That's when we both said it.”
 
Mama Higurashi looked sternly at her daughter. “Kagome, you'd better tell me what's going on.”
 
“InuYasha finally said he loved me and the only wish he could think of was that he never wanted to live without me.” Kagome smiled. “I felt exactly the same way about him…and said so. Of course we mated right there and then.”
 
“Kagome!”
 
Kagome's eyes looked slightly glazed. “It went on for so long and was so wonderful.” Kagome's eyes refocused. “I think we slept for nearly two days after that…and, when we awoke, many things had changed. The well didn't work, for one.”
 
It was Mama's turn to have her eyes start to glaze over. “Are you saying what I think you're saying, Kagome?”
 
“I guess you could say I'm not your little girl anymore.”
 
Mama Higurashi was fanning herself. “I…I feel a little faint.”
 
“It took us years to figure it out completely, Mama. InuYasha and I, we just don't age.”
 
“So…you're saying…”
 
“Yup. Five hundred seventeen and still counting. When we mated, I came to share InuYasha's lifespan. Picked up a few other useful traits, too…like healing faster, and better senses and increased strength and stamina.”
 
“And what about InuYasha?”
 
“Seems to have cooled his temper a bit,” replied Kagome. “I've also developed my miko powers. Kaede helped train me at first, and I've trained myself over the years. I can even tell you why grandpa's ofuda don't work.”
 
Mama Higurashi even giggled at that; then turned serious. “He was heartbroken when you didn't come back.” Mama noticed her daughter was looking downcast. “But he'll feel much better to see you…and so will Souta.”
 
Kagome brightened considerably. “I've missed them both.”
 
Kagome's mother turned pensive. “Wait. Do I have any puppy-eared grandchildren running about?”
 
“Ummm…wellllll….”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Oh, a few.”
 
“Kagome.”
 
“Oh, okay. A few thousand.”
 
“Thousand?” Mama was hyperventilating.
 
“Oh…no. I mean, if you count grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren…”
 
Mama sat back up. “That's a little easier.”
 
“It was hard, Mama.”
 
“What was hard, dear?” Mama was slightly lost in a vision of herself surrounded by delightful, puppy-eared grandchildren.
 
“You have to understand. We, InuYasha and I, don't seem to age, but our kids do. Oh, they live a long time, but…well, let's just say that now I understand how you must have anguished about me.”
 
“I'm so sorry, dear.”
 
“We've come to accept it.” Kagome sighed. “What else can we do?”
 
There was a knock at the back door. Mama looked up to see an elegantly dressed man standing there, shifting nervously from foot to foot. “May I help you, sir? The shrine is closed right now.”
 
The man looked at her quizzically.
 
“You still have on your concealment spell, InuYasha.”
 
“This is InuYasha?”
 
The man before her removed a necklace and suddenly appeared as the InuYasha Mama knew.
 
“Oi, Kagome. You were taking so long, I parked the car.”
 
“It's okay, InuYasha. She should see you again, anyway. She should see her son-in-law, don't you think?”
 
“You told her, then.”
 
“Yup. And she didn't faint once.”
 
“You mean like how you fainted when you found out the well wouldn't work anymore?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“And like how you fainted when you found out you were pregnant from our very first lovemaking?”
 
Kagome blushed, but glared at InuYasha. “Just keep it up, dog boy, and there won't be any more pups for you.”
 
“Feh! You always say that…and how many have we had?”
 
“InuYasha!”
 
“Last time I counted, it was…”
 
“Shhhh! She will faint.”
 
Mama was just staring at InuYasha, who was mouthing “hundreds and hundreds.”
 
Kagome was glaring at InuYasha. If looks could kill, he'd be one dead dog. He just smirked.
 
“Mind if we use Kagome's old room?” asked InuYasha. He turned to Mama. “She may look angry to you, but my nose tells me different.”
 
“Osuwari!”
 
“Hah! You can't do that anymore. You took that off, remember?”
 
Kagome was fuming. Then a look of concentration appeared on her face, followed by a glow around InuYasha's neck.
 
“Osuwari!”
 
<CRASH>
 
“Aaagghhhh!”
 
“Sorry about the floor, Mama. We'll get it fixed for you.” Kagome looked at her mate, who was slowly recovering. “Sometimes I think I should get him fixed.” Kagome got up and proceeded to the stairs.
 
“Where are you going?” asked Mama.
 
“Up to my room. When dog boy there recovers, tell him I'm up in my room seeing if I still fit in my old school uniform.” Kagome looked at her mate. “He'll know what to do.” Kagome ran up the steps.
 
“Like a couple of teenagers,” Mama thought. Just like I remember.”