InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 2: Defiance ❯ An American Girl ( Chapter 45 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 45~~
~An American Girl~
 
“What if she ran off?”
 
“Shut up.”
 
“She could have.”
 
“Will you shut up?”
 
“If she realized that she was marrying you---”
 
“Ryo . . . unless you want to die, you'd better shut up. Now.”
 
Ryomaru relented with a soft chuckle that irritated Toga just the same. Standing in the decorated garden behind the Inutaisho mansion while the string quartet played The Moonlight Sonata, Toga felt his hands---cold and clammy---shaking just a little.
 
The humans in attendance didn't seem to realize that they were surrounded by youkai. Sierra's family was oblivious to the fact that they were grossly outnumbered. In deference to Sierra's family, Kagura had included notes for all the youkai to keep their disguises on for the festivities. The humans had enough trouble dealing with the idea that Toga was youkai. They figured that it'd be best not to tempt Providence by allowing the youkai to show their true forms at the wedding . . .
 
All in all, the one brother Toga figured would be the most upset by the idea of his sister marrying into a youkai family didn't seem nearly as agitated by the news as Kevin had been. Brent had asked questions and had been a lot leery of the truth in it all but had actually not flipped out, or so Toga had been assured since Sierra had explained everything to him before Toga had arrived to escort her family to dinner.
 
Kagura had suggested since Sierra was American, that the ceremony be traditional in that sense. Toga had agreed since he would have agreed to just about anything by then, which was another reason that the youkai didn't stand out to the humans. Foregoing ceremonial garb and opting for suits and dresses, the crowd was nondescript at best.
 
“If she's smart, she skipped out the front door and made tracks for Chicago,” Ryomaru mumbled.
 
Toga didn't move his head as he shifted his gaze to the side to impale his baka cousin with a fulminating glower. “If you were smart, you'd shut the hell up,” he growled through clenched teeth.
 
“Who in her right mind would want your father as an in-law?” Ryomaru countered.
 
“I'm more concerned with my idiot cousins,” Toga retorted. “Now shut up or I'll---”
 
“Well, fuck me! She did show up!”
 
“Kami, I swear I'm going to put you out of my misery if you don't shut your yap, Ryo,” Toga threatened as two ushers pulled open the huge glass doors. All heads turned to catch the first glimpse of the bride, but Gin was the first to emerge from the house. Her silvery hair was only shades lighter than the short silk sheathe dress she wore. After gliding gracefully down the runner, she kissed Toga's cheek, careful to wipe away the trace of lipstick she left behind before she winked at her cousin and stepped aside.
 
Toga's mouth fell open as he gaped. He knew Sierra was beautiful. He never expected her to look quite like that.
 
Okay, so he had to admit that the extra time it took to alter the dress for her was time well spent. The simple style and clean lines of the spaghetti-strapped confection hugged Sierra's body only to gently flare around her tiny waist into a full skirt with a short train that glided over the white runner that had been rolled out hours ago. Tiny pearls caught the sunlight, lending her a brilliant glow as the sun poked out from behind fluffy clouds. Sierra slipped her hand under Brent's elbow and smiled at her brother before he slowly started the procession toward Toga, who bit off the low growl that escaped him when Ryomaru's elbow dug into his ribs.
 
“Knock it off, dog! He's her brother!” Ryomaru hissed.
 
Toga snapped his mouth closed and snorted. Brent whispered something to her, and her smile widened just before her gaze lifted to meet Toga's. He couldn't remember ever seeing her so glowing, so happy. Her shining eyes brightened even more as her lips trembled, but her smile didn't falter. Hair swept away from her face in a simple tail that curled down her bare back, Sierra didn't look away even after she stopped beside him.
 
He tried to smile but the emotion inside didn't seem right. Humbled that she would willingly agree to be with him, bemused by the sight of her, a smile seemed like an empty gesture. He wanted to kiss her, needed to touch her. She slipped her hand up to brush over his cheek. He caught her hand and kissed her knuckles and he didn't let go when he lowered her hand.
 
As much as he would truly love to take her far, far away, he'd waited this long. He supposed he could wait a little longer. The soft scent of roses mingled with apple blossoms as Toga tried to remember that he didn't dare drag her off with him now despite the merit the idea held. The tiny rosebuds that covered the hairpiece were strung together with tiny pearls, and the yards of lace that cascaded from the flowers fell past Sierra's waist. A tear slipped from the corner of her eye. He wiped it away, and she laughed. “Good thing I used waterproof mascara,” she murmured. Toga finally smiled.
 
The Christian minister they'd found to officiate the ceremony cleared his throat. After a last lingering stare, they turned to face the holy man, and the wedding began.
 
Toga tried to pay attention. Most of the ceremony passed by without much notice since all he could concentrate on was the way Sierra smelled, the happy smiles she shot him, the trembling in her hands as he slipped the small platinum circle onto her finger. He had managed to say, “I do,” without the embarrassment of being prompted. Still, Sierra's scent was too close, too warm, too inviting, and the sight of her looking so different and yet so familiar . . .
 
It seemed to Toga that the minister took his sweet time reciting the words that he'd waited to hear. Lecturing them both on their responsibilities, on their duties to take care of one another, to cherish one another, the minister droned on while Toga tried to keep his patience in check. He knew all of that, and he would make damn sure he lived by it. Sierra squeezed his hand, and Toga shot her a wan smile. The look in her eyes reflected his own wish that the man would get on with it. `If I find out Father paid the man to ramble on and on, I'll---'
 
“You may now kiss your bride.”
 
The words came so quickly that Toga blinked for a moment before they had a chance to sink in. He turned to face Sierra as the assembly broke out in murmurs. Sound faded as he stared into Sierra's eyes, as she smiled through a wash of happy tears. “So . . . are you going to kiss me, Toga?” she asked quietly.
 
That was all the prompting he needed. Tilting her chin with his crooked index finger, he brushed his lips over hers in a kiss meant to complete the ceremony. She leaned up, crushing her bouquet of blush tea roses against his shoulder as she caught his mouth and deepened the kiss.
 
Time and space fell away as the dim buzz of their rapt audience was forgotten. The only thing that mattered to Toga was the woman pressing against him with the softest whisper of silk and lace. Slipping his arms around her waist to pull her closer, he savored the feel of her, tried to assure himself that she was real, that she was his, that she would be with him forever. She acquiesced to him, surrendered herself in that kiss. He didn't want to remember anything, didn't want to feel anything but the warmth of her that radiated to him, the dizzying knowledge that they would have forever.
 
“Kami, dog! Come up for air,” Ryomaru's voice rudely intruded.
 
Toga reluctantly broke off the kiss before shooting his cousin a glower as Sierra giggled.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you, for the first time ever, Mr. and Mrs. Toga Inutaisho.”
 
The crowd clapped politely as Toga offered Sierra his arm and smiled down at her before escorting her back down the aisle.
 
He didn't really feel any differently, he decided. Then again, he hadn't been married long enough for that. If he could just get through the reception, he'd be home free.
 
Sierra sighed softly. “Are you as anxious to get out of here as I am?” she murmured as she leaned in closer.
 
“You have no idea,” he admitted.
 
She laughed. Toga grimaced.
 
 
-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-0-=-
 
 
“Do you think they'd miss us if we sneak off now?”
 
Toga missed a step in the dance as he glanced down at Sierra. She met his gaze with an impish smile, and while she didn't look tired, she did look quite anxious. “Are you feeling all right?”
 
“Oh, fine,” she assured him as her grin widened. She glanced around quickly as her smile turned bashful. “I just think . . . I'd rather be alone . . . with you . . .”
 
He stifled a groan. “Damn, wench,” he complained.
 
“Okay, Inutaisho. Step away from the girl.”
 
Toga's back stiffened as he slowly pivoted to stare at his newly acquired brother-in-law. Brent grinned and held a hand out to Sierra. She shot Toga an apologetic smile and stepped back, letting her brother take Toga's place as her dancing partner.
 
“If you do it, I'll never let you live it down.”
 
Toga turned and forced a grin as Gin laced her arm through his. “You look nice,” he commented, giving up on the idea of reclaiming Sierra---for now.
 
“Thanks,” Gin replied. “Congratulations.”
 
“You don't sound like you're having a good time,” Toga remarked.
 
Gin sighed. “Same old story. No one will dance with me because they're afraid of Papa, so the only one with enough guts to ask me was promptly threatened with the removal of crucial anatomical parts.”
 
“Uncle Yasha?”
 
Gin's pretty face contorted as she shook her head. “Nope . . . Ryomaru, the baka hypocrite. You know, he brought Nezumi with him, and he's yet to even look at her?”
 
Toga's gaze sought out the girl in question. Sitting alone at a table toward the back of the yard, Nezumi looked distinctly uncomfortable, and he had to wonder just how Ryomaru had been able to talk the tomboy into attending a wedding, of all things. “Why did he bring her?”
 
Gin tugged on Toga's arm and dragged him out to dance. “She said something about owing him a favor.” Frowning as she stared at the girl in question, Gin slowly shook her head. “You know, she would be really pretty if she'd stop hiding in those oversized clothes she wears.”
 
Toga considered Gin's statement and nodded. Nezumi was dressed in an impossibly baggy pin striped suit that could have easily fit Ryomaru, and for a moment, he wondered if his cousin had loaned Nezumi the outfit. Black hair pulled off her face in a severe knot at the nape of her neck; she didn't even use a hint of makeup to accentuate the delicate features of her face. Had it not been for the sternness of her hair, she would have been very pretty in spite of her outrageous clothing.
 
Toga shook his head. It wouldn't matter if she was drop-dead gorgeous. Ryomaru wouldn't notice Nezumi. She was his and Kichiro's best friend and had been for years, and if Toga knew anything about the twins, he knew that they gravitated toward flashier women.
 
“If you ask me, I think she's in love with the baka,” Gin remarked as her eyebrows drew together. “Stupid Ryo. He'd never notice. He takes her for granted.”
 
Toga hadn't thought of that. Leaning his head to the side as he danced with his cousin, he stared at Nezumi. To his surprise, he couldn't help but notice how her gaze sought out Ryomaru time and again as the idiot strolled from woman to woman, basically making the rounds as his date sat quietly and watched. “What the hell is wrong with him?” Toga growled.
 
Gin sighed. “I told you, Ryomaru no baka.”
 
“Feh!”
 
The song ended, and Gin leaned up to kiss Toga's cheek. “Go find your mate, Toga.”
 
He bowed slightly and pushed through the crowd, acknowledging words of congratulations without paying attention as he scanned the assembly for Sierra. He finally spotted her standing with his father and mother, and Toga blinked in surprise as Sierra laughed at something Sesshoumaru said. While it boded well that his father was warming up to her, Toga couldn't help the little groan that escaped him, either. Sierra's proximity to Sesshoumaru would absolutely prevent Toga from implementing his `sneak-away-with-Sierra' plan.
 
“Father. Mother,” he greeted as he slipped an arm around Sierra's waist.
 
“Congratulations, Toga,” Kagura said as she tugged his arm to pull him down so she could kiss his cheek. “I trust you'll take care of her.”
 
Toga grinned at his mother. “Of course.”
 
Sesshoumaru pulled a white, legal-sized envelope from his jacket. “From your mother and me.”
 
Toga took the envelope and glanced at Sierra. She shrugged and waited for him to open it. He did and raised his eyebrows as he stared at the document. “Are you sure, Father?”
 
Sesshoumaru nodded once. “We'll see how you do with this one.”
 
Sierra leaned closer to look at the deed. Toga let her take it. “Taishocorp?” she read with a slight frown. “Isn't that half the company?”
 
Sesshoumaru shrugged. “Not quite. It'll all be yours one day, anyway. It's time for you to take some responsibility.”
 
Toga made a face. “You make it sound like I've never worked in my life,” he commented dryly.
 
Sesshoumaru broke into a rare smile. “Funny. I don't recall you working since you returned from the States.” Toga relented with a curt nod. “In any case, you'll take over after you've returned from your honeymoon.” Sesshoumaru's gaze narrowed as he sighed. “If you'll excuse me . . .”
 
Toga turned to watch his father's retreat and couldn't help the surprise that filtered over his own features. Sesshoumaru was striding purposefully toward Ryomaru, who was staring down one of the guests---a wolf youkai and son of one of Sesshoumaru's lawyers. Nezumi was shaking her head, staring at Ryomaru like he'd lost his mind, and Toga had to wonder just what had caused the altercation. Knowing his baka cousin, it didn't take much.
 
“Excuse me,” he murmured as he kissed Sierra's knuckles. With a sigh, he headed toward his cousin.
 
“What's going on?” Toga asked as he sidled up beside Kichiro.
 
Kichiro spared Toga a glance before nodding toward his brother. “Ryomaru caught him talking to Nez.”
 
“Just talking?”
 
“Think so.”
 
“He's ignored her the entire time and gets bent out of shape because someone else pays attention to her?”
 
“Apparently.”
 
Sesshoumaru stepped between Ryomaru and the wolf, pinning each with an icy glare. “You wouldn't be trying to ruin Toga's reception, would you?”
 
Ryomaru snorted. “Hell, no.”
 
“Are you sure?” Sesshoumaru asked.
 
Ryomaru stepped back. “Of course, Uncle. Wouldn't dream of it.” Shifting his glare to the wolf youkai again, Ryomaru cracked his knuckles. “Just stay away from her.”
 
The wolf wasn't impressed with the implied threat. “Didn't realize I couldn't be friendly.”
 
“Knock it off, Ryo,” Nezumi gritted out between clenched teeth. “Baka.”
 
Ryomaru snorted as he glanced at Nezumi. Something in her expression gave him pause, and Toga was surprised to see his cousin immediately drop his territorial stance. “Feh. Whatever,” Ryomaru grumbled as he shoved his hands into his pockets.
 
A warm hand slipped into Toga's, and he glanced down as Sierra shot him a questioning look. “Is everything okay?”
 
He nodded as he took her hand and led her away for another dance. “Just fine,” he assured her as he swept her into his arms, all thoughts of his idiot cousin fleeing from his mind as he focused on his new bride.
 
Sierra traced a finger along his lapel with a soft sigh. “I've looked forward to my wedding day ever since I was a little girl,” she mused as he gaze lifted to meet his. “As often as I've imagined it, though, I don't think I ever thought I'd feel the way I do, right now.”
 
Toga's eyebrows lifted as an enigmatic little smile turned up the corners of her lips. “Oh? How do you feel right now?”
 
A light blush crept over her cheeks as her eyes took on a brighter sparkle. “Like I really want to get out of here.”
 
Toga chuckled. “But this is your day, isn't it?”
 
She moved in a little closer as her blush deepened. “I'd rather it be our day, Toga.”
 
He made a face. “If I thought for a second that we really could sneak away . . .”
 
She sighed again. “All right, fine.”
 
He stopped dancing and kissed her. Her hands slipped around his neck as she relaxed against him. Sound faded as everything around them seemed to dull. The only thing in the world that mattered was there in his arms, and he knew that he was exactly where he was supposed to be.
 
She broke the kiss and shook her head with a wry smile. “You should warn me before you do that,” she told him, her voice shaking and a little husky.
 
He took her hand in his and resumed the dance. Her fingers trembled in his grasp. `No doubt about it,' he decided as he stifled a sigh, drawing her closer to him. He had to get them out of there soon . . .
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~ *~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
In case you want to see… Sierra's Dress www(dot)thebridalshop(dot)com/Dere_Kiang/dk1398(dot)htm and her veil www(dot)thebridalshop(dot)com/tg8241(dot)htm Thought I'd share the joy… lol!
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
Sari-15 ------ cjflutterbye ------ suzehowe ------ DarklessVasion ------ serending (Yeah, Sierra is a `girlie' girl, but I actually don't think she cries nearly as much as Kagome does… lol!) ------ tinkerbell ------ Iggy Lovechild ------ Lena17 ------ Aitu ------ LadyOrion
==========
FFnet
Rinicat ------ WiccanMethuselah ------ Flames101 ------ Ryguy5387 ------ myeerah ------ xSilverShadowsx ------ Drake Clawfang (Not in the traditional sense, no.) ------ ILOVEINUS589 (I won a lovely personalized Journal. Brent won't be in Purity 3 …) ------ TheFanaticInTraining ------ SilverStarWing ------ Toya's Gurl ------ agent-doo ------ Kenshin's Gal (He did remove his concealment: `When they still didn't look like they wanted to believe it, Toga sighed and removed his concealment.')
==========
AFFnet ------ AScom ------ ATnet
GgBg4u ------ Snowfall ------ catt ------ deep serenity ------ Midnight_Sparrow ------ akdreamer ------ Beccapatty ------ Shiga
==========
Final Thought fromSierra:
Married, huh?
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Defiance): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~