InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 6: Shameless ❯ August Rose ( Chapter 31 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 31~~
~AugustRose~
 
 
 
Gavin stifled a growl and reigned in the almost overwhelming desire to chuck the remote control through the plasma screen television. Having spent the last hour and a half watching the fat bastard known better as Mickey B. as he bragged about the emails and the pictures, about his obsession with Jillian, he'd sat through about all he could tolerate. About the only thing he refused to acknowledge was tinkering with the brake lines on Jillian's rental car, and why would he cop to that? A man had died because of his sick fascination, and the charge that would carry would likely be murder . . .
 
Shooting another glance at the window, he couldn't help it as he stood up and strode out of the house onto the front porch, glaring at the empty driveway as the night shadows started to fall.
 
“Glowering at the driveway isn't really going to get her here any faster,” Natalie Jamison commented as she slipped outside and pulled the door closed behind himself.
 
He shook his head. “I know. . . It's just . . . Where the hell is she?”
 
Natalie slipped her arms around him and kissed his cheek. “Have you tried to call her?”
 
Gavin grimaced. “Yeah . . . her cell's shut off or out of range or something . . . It sends me straight to voicemail.”
 
“She'll be home soon.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
Scowling as the unsettling feeling that something was wrong that had been plaguing him all afternoon, Gavin heaved a sigh, leaning against the pillar that flanked one side of the porch steps and pinching the bridge of his nose as he closed his eyes. He'd been telling himself that he was only feeling that way because he'd been watching hours of Mickey B's interrogation, but was he? Casting his mother a surreptitious glance, he didn't miss the slight worry marring her features as she gazed at the empty driveway. She shook herself and cleared her throat, pasting on a bright smile as she hugged her son once more. “I'll get you some iced tea. How's that?”
 
“Thanks,” he said. The last thing he wanted was iced tea, but he knew that Natalie was just trying to settle his nerves.
 
`It's fine, isn't it? They caught him—that bastard . . . he's in jail. He can't hurt Jillian . . .'
 
`Rose . . .'
 
Blinking quickly as the soft whisper faded as quickly as it had sounded in his mind, Gavin shook his head and narrowed his eyes on the driveway once more. `G—grandma . . .?'
 
InuYasha stomped out of the stable, and he stopped short, scanning the landscape in much the same way as Gavin had done. When he glanced at the house and saw Gavin standing on the steps, he folded his arms together under the folds of his fire-rat haori and walked toward him.
 
“Who's the eel?” InuYasha asked without preamble.
 
Gavin blinked. “What's that?”
 
InuYasha snorted. “The eel-youkai I smelled when we were watching the perimeter of the ranch,” he clarified. “Who is he?”
 
Gavin shook his head. “There's no eel-youkai working here,” he said slowly.
 
InuYasha's steady stare shifted into a marked scowl. “Bullshit. I smelled him.”
 
A cold chill trickled down Gavin's back as he met InuYasha's darkened scowl. “What are you saying?”
 
InuYasha shrugged. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but in the end, he shook his head and stomped up the stairs. “Where's your mate, pup?” he growled.
 
Gavin's gaze lifted to the driveway once more. He dug the cell phone out of his pocket without taking his eyes off the lane.
 
Again he was sent straight to Jillian's voicemail, and he cinched his jaw so tightly that it ached. “Jilli, where the hell are you? Call me when you get this message . . .”
 
Clicking off the cell phone, he stared at it for a moment before dialing Sherry's number. She answered on the fourth ring. “Hello?”
 
“Sherry? This is Gavin . . . is Jilli still over there?”
 
“Jilli? No . . . She left with some guy awhile ago . . . I think she said he was her manager.”
 
Gavin gripped the phone so tightly that the plastic casing creaked. Willing himself to loosen his grip, he licked his lips and shook his head. “She . . . her manager? When? Where?”
 
Sherry paused, as though she was considering her answer. “In Helena . . . we'd just found Minnie's dress . . . it was just after lunch . . . maybe two? I took the baby in to change her before we started back, and when I got outside, this man was there, and Jillian said that he was her manager and that they needed to talk . . . She said he'd bring her home . . . she's not home, I take it?”
 
“N-no, she's not . . . Damn it . . . Listen, if she calls you, will you call me right away?”
 
“. . . Is Jillian in trouble?”
 
He grimaced, not really wanting to cause Sherry concern, but . . . “I . . . I don't know.”
 
“O-okay . . . Call us after you find her so we know everything's all right?”
 
“Sure . . .”
 
Hanging up the phone, Gavin slammed open the front door and strode over to the gathering of men who were still watching the interrogation DVDs. “Cain . . . Jillian's manager . . . what's his number?”
 
Cain glanced up at Gavin and did a classic double take. “Dan? I'm not sure off the top of my head. Why?”
 
Gavin rubbed his hands over his face in complete exasperation. “Sherry said that some guy showed up while they were shopping, and Jilli said he was her manager. She left with him hours ago.”
 
Cain stared at him for a moment before digging his cell phone out of his pocket.
 
“Never mind,” Ben commented, holding his phone to his ear. “I got it.” Tapping his claws on the arm of the easy chair, Ben waited for Dan to answer the phone. “Dan? Hi, it's Ben . . . yeah . . . Yeah, I need to ask you: are you in Montana?”
 
“Is he?” Gavin growled.
 
Ben shot him a look but didn't respond. “I see . . . Uh, no . . . yes . . . They did catch him. He's in jail, but . . . Gavin said that someone claiming to be her manager took off with her earlier, and we haven't seen or heard from her since . . . I see . . . Okay, thanks . . . Right. You, too. Bye.” Snapping his phone closed, Ben narrowed his gaze as he met Cain's foreboding expression. “Dan's still in Canada visiting his son.”
 
“Then why would Jillian take off with someone and say he's her manager?” Gavin snarled.
 
Evan shot InuYasha a thoughtful look. “She was with that human girl and her pups, wasn't she?”
 
“Sherry? Yeah, but—”
 
Evan snorted. “Maybe he threatened them.”
 
Gavin grimaced. That made sense; damned if it didn't. InuYasha's question echoed through his head, and he glanced at the hanyou. “The eel-youkai I smelled when we were watching the perimeter of the ranch . . .”
 
Cain cleared his throat. “What if Mickey B. was telling the truth? What if he really didn't have anything to do with Jillian's rental car and the accident?”
 
“That's what I was thinking, too . . .” Ben allowed.
 
Gavin rubbed his face and stifled a growl. “Sherry said that he took her from the parking lot at one of the stores where they'd shopped. I'm going.”
 
Gin, Madison, and Natalie emerged from the kitchen with trays of iced tea. Stopping short, Gin slowly looked around at the sober faces before finally settling on her mate. “Cain? What's wrong?”
 
Cain stood up and strode over to her, kissing her forehead and giving her a thin smile. “It's okay, baby girl. We're going to go look for Jillian.”
 
Gin's eyes widened in worry, and she gripped Cain's forearm. “Jillian? But you said she just went shopping . . .”
 
He nodded. “Don't worry, all right? We'll be home before you know it.”
 
“Zelig, maybe you should stay here,” Ben said slowly.
 
Cain shot his general a menacing glower as he headed for the door. “Save your breath, Ben.”
 
Ben hurried after him, catching him by the shoulder when he stepped out onto the front porch. “I understand why you want to go, but—”
 
Cain shook Ben's hand off and shook his head stubbornly. “She's my daughter, Ben.”
 
“It could be dangerous, damn it! Will you stop and think about it? You're the tai-youkai—”
 
“And that doesn't mean a fucking thing if my daughter is in trouble. If something happens to me, Bas knows what to do . . . and you'll be here to guide him if he doesn't.”
 
Ben narrowed his eyes and glared at Cain. “Godspeed, Zelig.”
 
Gavin didn't wait for the others. Breaking into a sprint down the driveway, he dialed Sherry's phone again to find out exactly what store they were at when the man showed up. Waiting for Sherry to answer, he condemned himself a thousand times for ignoring the feeling that something was wrong, he cleared his throat and tried to swallow the rising tide of panic that was threatening to consume him. `Jilli . . .'
 
`Rose,' the voice in his mind whispered again. The sound was a little clearer than it was before, and this time he flinched when he recognized it.
 
`Hold on, Jilli . . . I'll be there . . .'
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Did she get on a plane or not?” Gavin snarled, slamming his hand onto the counter and glowering at the receptionist. She jerked away at his display of vehemence, and Cain grabbed his shoulders, pulling him back before he could do something really stupid, like grab the girl and shake her.
 
“Calm down, Gavin. Losing your temper isn't going to get us anywhere.” Evan hissed in his ear.
 
“Damn it . . .”
 
Cain shoved past the two, glaring at the receptionist with an expression that Gavin figured was as close to `pleasant' as the tai-youkai could muster at the moment. “Look, she's my daughter, and she wouldn't have gotten onto a plane willingly. Do you remember her? She's tall—about six feet tall—really pale bluish-silver hair . . . pale blue eyes . . .”
 
The woman shook her head, grimacing apologetically. “I'm sorry, sir. There's been no one who met that description that I know of, and even if there were, I really cannot disclose that sort of information . . .”
 
Gavin jerked himself away from Evan's grasp and stepped up to the counter once more. “She's famous, for God's sake—Jillian Zelig! Are you sure you didn't see her?”
 
“Jillian Zelig? I would have remembered her,” the girl insisted. “I'm sorry, sir.”
 
“This ain't gettin' us nowhere,” InuYasha growled. Stomping away, he dropped to his hands and knees, crawling around on the faux marble floor as he tried to locate Jillian's scent. Luckily, he wasn't down there long enough to draw too much notice though a few people standing nearby did give him rather odd looks. “Found it,” he growled, hopping back to his feet and darting toward the security check only to be stopped by the guards while people who were patiently waiting in line complained.
 
Cain rolled his eyes and heaved a sigh. “I'll be back,” he said before striding after InuYasha, who was busy yelling at the guards.
 
“She got on a plane,” Gavin insisted, digging a picture out of his wallet. “Here . . . this is her. Are you positive you haven't seen her?”
 
“I'm positive, sir,” she maintained, glancing at the picture then starting to hand it back. She stopped suddenly, though, bringing the picture back up to study it closer. Gavin could feel his claws digging into the counter as he scanned her face, as he searched her expression for any semblance of recognition. She shook her head, her brows drawing together in a show of confusion, and she bit her lip. “There was one woman . . . but her name wasn't Jillian Zelig . . .”
 
Gavin had to reign in the desire to smash something. Evan put a hand on his shoulder and nudged him aside. “Listen . . .” he said, leaning across the counter to get a better look at the nametag hanging around her neck. “Molly—Can I call you `Molly'?”
 
“Sure,” she replied, smiling despite herself.
 
Gavin was sorely pressed not to thump Evan upside the head. Evan's penchant for not being able to keep it in his pants certainly wasn't going to help Jillian now. Evan shot her one of his lazy grins that reminded Gavin of a Cheshire cat. “What everyone's trying to say is that Jillian could be in potentially serious trouble. We have to find her and help her. I mean, she's marrying this guy next Saturday,” he said, jerking his head toward Gavin. Gavin grunted in acknowledgement, crossing his arms over his chest and glowering at nothing in particular. “She's been in love with him since she was a little girl. Does that sound like a woman who wanted to get on a plane with some strange guy?”
 
The girl looked completely mesmerized by the smooth quality of Evan's voice. It was all Gavin could do not to roll his eyes and smack the crap out of Evan. His schmoozing wasn't helping, and they were wasting precious time, weren't they?
 
“I'm sorry, sir,” the girl said slowly, shaking her head and looking genuinely upset. “I know there wasn't a woman who fit that description . . . not really . . .”
 
“Not really?” Gavin growled, shouldering Evan aside. “Was there someone who resembled her at all?”
 
She bit her lip, obviously unsure as to what, exactly, she dared tell them. “I'm sorry . . . I really can't give out that information . . .”
 
“Another name,” Evan cut in, reaching across the counter to grasp the girl's hand and squeezing her fingers gently. “She might have used another name? Come on, baby . . . throw me a bone, here, will you?”
 
Gavin opened his mouth to tell Evan to knock it off since his flirting wasn't really helping a damn thing. Jillian's voice echoed through his mind again, a hint of urgency tingeing the word with gentle meaning. It was a name he'd recognize, certainly . . . his grandmother's name . . . `Rose . . .'
 
“Rose!” Gavin blurted. “Did anyone use the name `Rose'?”
 
The woman blinked in surprise. “Well . . .”
 
“Please,” Gavin implored. “Please . . .”
 
“She'll thank you for it; I promise,” Evan added, resting his elbow on the counter and rubbing the pad of his thumb gently over the girl's knuckles. “Molly, please.”
 
“There was . . . one woman . . . tall, graceful . . . but she had black hair.” Leaning forward as though she didn't want to speak out loud, Molly shifted her gaze from Evan to Gavin and back again before she went on. “She was with this guy—I remember because I thought he was kind of a jerk . . . He wouldn't let her talk at all, and when he gave her name so I could check her identification, she sort of leaned forward and said that everyone called her Rose. Sort of gave me this strange sort of look over the top of her sunglasses . . . Her eyes were really pale blue—like . . . ice, I guess . . .”
 
“Jillian!” Gavin exclaimed. “Where did she go?”
 
Evan shook his head and shot Gavin a quelling glance. “What was she wearing?”
 
Molly shrugged. It was obvious that she didn't really want to divulge the information, but whether she was telling them because she believed that Jillian really might be in trouble or because Evan was still rubbing her knuckles, Gavin didn't know and honestly didn't care so long as they found out where Jillian was . . . “She was wearing a plain brown dress. It seemed odd to me; not like what I'd picture a woman like her wearing. Sort of . . . old-womanish, I guess . . .”
 
Evan nodded. “Where'd she go, Molly? Please . . . we have to know.”
 
Molly grimaced. “I could get into real trouble if I tell you . . . I could lose my job . . .”
 
“Or you could save Jillian's life,” Evan added calmly. “Please.”
 
She didn't look like she was going to tell them. Sparing a glance over his shoulder, Gavin stifled a frustrated sigh when he noticed that Cain and InuYasha were still arguing with security. Feeling as though he was getting nowhere fast, Gavin gritted his teeth and willed himself to remain calm despite the nearly overwhelming need to smash things to pieces.
 
“She . . .” Trailing off as she glanced around again, she winced. “Denver,” she finally whispered. “Denver with no connecting flights.”
 
It took a minute for Gavin to realize that she had told them, after all. As comprehension slowly sank in, he couldn't help the small sigh of relief as he slumped forward on the counter for a moment. “Thank you!” he breathed, standing up straight and digging into his pocket for his wallet. “Get me on the next plane to Denver, please.”
 
The girl nodded and keyed information into the computer terminal, licking her lips as she scowled at the screen. “There's one flight leaving from Gate 7 is ten minutes, but that's hardly enough time to—”
 
“I want on that plane,” Gavin stated again.
 
“Me, too,” Evan added.
 
“And two more tickets,” Gavin remarked, glancing back at InuYasha and Cain once more.
 
“I'm sorry, sir. There are only two seats available on that flight, but there is another flight leaving in an hour for Denver . . .”
 
“All right,” Gavin agreed. “Just book me on this one. Those two can catch up.”
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Leaning back against the high headrest in the business class section of the small plane, Gavin closed his eyes and sighed. The guy seated next to him kept trying to chat with him, and the last thing he wanted to do was make small talk with a perfect stranger who seemed bent on showing Gavin photographs of his new son.
 
Evan was seated toward the back of the plane—the only available seats weren't situated together—and that was just as well. After the deplorable display with the receptionist, Gavin was ready to throttle his soon-to-be brother-in-law despite the nagging thought that maybe—just maybe—Evan really had helped to get the information on where Jillian was headed. Of course, the looks on InuYasha and Cain's faces had been almost comical, too. When Evan and Gavin had hurried through the security checkpoint, both had looked completely shocked until Gavin, without slowing his pace, had hollered over his shoulder, “There's another plane leaving in an hour for Denver!” He supposed they'd both be able to figure out that's where Jillian had headed.
 
`Hold on, Jilli . . . I'm on my way . . .'
 
`G-Gavin . . .?'
 
`Jilli?'
 
`You got my message? Rose . . .?'
 
`Yeah, I got that. Smart girl.'
 
`I . . . I thought you'd recognize your grandmother's name . . .'
 
`I did,' he assured her. `Of course I did.'
 
`Gavin . . . I want to go home . . .'
 
He grimaced but didn't open his eyes. He could feel her drawing him closer, and the feeling was enough to soothe the frayed edges of his emotions. `I know . . . where are you? Do you know?'
 
She whimpered. `I don't know . . . He took me to a hotel after we got to Denver, and he gave me a shot of something. Then I fell asleep . . . I think I'm still asleep . . .'
 
`Oh, God . . . He hasn't . . . he didn't . . .'
 
`He said they need me, Gavvie . . . but I just want to come home . . .'
 
`Okay, Jilli . . . just hold on. I'm on my way. I promise . . .'
 
`. . . O-okay . . .'
 
`Jilli?'
 
`Hmm?'
 
`Don't cry, and don't worry, all right?'
 
`. . . All . . . right . . .'
 
Her voice faded from his mind, and Gavin grimaced. He wasn't sure what to make of it, but at least he knew that she was still safe. Sure, he'd heard tale of youkai being able to talk to their mates over distance if the situation was dire enough. Still, he hadn't really believed it could be done, but . . .
 
But there was no denying that she really had been talking to him. He'd heard her as plain as day. She was scared. He could sense it in her voice. She was really scared . . .
 
`Hold on, Jilli,' he vowed, sitting up and burying his face in his cupped hands. `Just a little longer . . .'
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~ =~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
serendith:
You know I almost feel sorry for him - pulling this when Cain, InuYasha, Ben and Gavin are all together and already pissed ... almost. I also was wondering - do any of your future fanfics ever include a human male pairing with a youkai female? I was thinking about this the other day and how intimidating the pack is to Gavin and how much worse that would before a human - also if a human male would even be accepted. Then I started thinking about what a great character that would be. However, I must admit that I love the "knight in shining armour" that the inu's tend to be. Anywho ... thought I would throw that out there. Thanks for updating so quickly!
 
You know, that's an interesting question … Too bad I can't answer it … heh heh heh
==========
MMorg
kds1222 ------ inuyashaloverr ------ sprsnc20 ------ JasonC ------ PurpleNeko-chan ------ Acheronlover ------ leeksandmisosoup ------ Deceptress ------ artemiswaterdragon ------ OROsan0677 ------ AppallinglyCopacetic ------ Kitty BoBo
==========
Forum Reviews
cutechick18 ------ ErinBerin ------ TenshiKaika ------ Piett ------ OROsan0677 ------ angelfire777 ------ My Own Self ------ psyco_chick32
==========
Final Thought fromGavin:
Time to earn some hero points
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Shameless): I do not claim any rights to InuYashaor the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~