InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quadrille of War ❯ A Trade ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: My second Inuyasha fanfic, my third fanfic overall. It's been a while since I started writing fanfics and I hope that my writing is improving. It's been a long three years and it's a start of a new one in the end of November. I hope you like this new fic. It is AU, but I tried to make anyone too OCC. Also, the setting of this story is not feudal Japan. Heck, it's not even Japan, only the names of the characters are Japanese. That'll be further explained as the story continues, but I thought I'd clarify as to not cause confusion. The time period? Well, it's in a world that doesn't exist, and a time that doesn't exist. . . but imagine a world with a sense of the ancient Greek/Roman/Arabic/East Asian influences. . . if that doesn't make sense, well, you're not alone. I'll do sketches of their clothing one day, that might clear things up. Anyways, this is a fic to all those readers out there that have been faithfully reading. And if you know me well enough, you'll know what I'll say next: enjoy the chappie!
 
Disclaimer: Do I own Inuyasha? No. Do I make money off of anything I write about Inuyasha? No(but wouldn't it be great if I did?). Do I own any of the characters in the series `Inuyasha'? No. Do I own the rights to any of the storylines in the series `Inuyasha'? No. Do I continue to torture the characters due to my sick twisted mind just because I want to? Yes.
 
A Trade
By Hoshi-ni-Onegai
 
 
 
The wind whistled the trees and grass, sending an eerie sensation through out the camp. On the edge of the encampment stood a young woman with obsidian hair and a steely gray-blue gaze. Staring out into the woods, with the cluster of resting soldiers behind her she studied the trees. The only sounds in the night consisted of the jovial chatter of the men, clattering of equipment, the crackling of the burning wood, and the incessant whistling wind.
 
Shuffling up to where the woman stood the soldier caught her attention and bowed slightly toward her. “My lady Kagome.”
 
She nodded to the soldier that was serving guard duty, “Yes Rinji?”
 
He lowered his head to whisper to her, as if afraid there were spies in the bushes attempting to hear his words. “The night forest is quiet my lady, but the wind does not settle.”
 
Turning away from the soldier she fixated her eyes on the dark tree line once again. “Tell the men to stand guard, the air is far too unsettling to brush off.”
 
Bowing once again he made his way toward the other soldiers to give the announcement. However, he was stopped in his tracks when an arrow pierced him through the heart. Hearing the bone chilling scream Kagome turned to see the soldier fall to his knees, eyes widened and staring off into the forest from which the arrow came.
 
“Rinji!” Sprinting through the grass and leaping over a log, she raced toward the fallen body.
 
“My lady no!” A soldier tackled her from the side so as the arrow that shot out would not hit her.
 
“Mamoru!” She stared with horror at the arrow that stuck through the soldier's left shoulder.
 
The soldier gave a struggled smile, “Only a scratch my lady.”
 
Taking control of her nerves she grabbed the side of the arrow that protruded the most and broke the end off making Mamoru groan with agony. Ignoring the sounds he made she took hold of the other end of the arrow and tugged it out cleanly. Seeing the blood oozing out freely she took the dark blue cloak she had been wearing and ripped a long stream of cloth from the edge. Tearing the shirt away from the injured shoulder she tightly wrapped the cloth in a makeshift bandage.
 
Her task complete she glared into the trees. Standing she yelled at the top of her lungs, “Come out you coward!”
 
A hush fell across the camp and the surrounding forest. The perpetual wind stilled and the only thing heard was the crunching of leaves below the feet of many men coming their way. Hearing the sound of hundreds of feet coming to the tree line the soldiers in the camp made a circle around Kagome, protecting her from any impending attacks.
 
A deep voice chuckled as he stepped out of the darkness of the dense forest and into the clearing. “Protecting your charge, how touching.” He tilted his head to peek through the wall of men that blocked him from the woman in the center, “Your men are very loyal Kagome, wouldn't want to lose a single one if I were you.”
 
She glared at him making her way toward her men and gesturing for them to let her pass. “I will kill you for attacking the men of the Northern lands, Onigumo.”
 
Throwing back his head he laughed at her, “Such an old name you use to call me Kagome! I no longer go by that name.”
 
Gesturing for an archer to take aim at the man she seethed, “I don't care what pet named you picked up along the way. Stand down now or I will tell Haru to shoot.”
 
Smirking he motioned for someone to come out from behind a tree, “Do you know the names of all your men? Let me test you, sweet Kagome.” From his right stepped forward a large foreboding snake demon holding at sword point a man dressed in the armor of the Northern lands. “Do you know this one?”
 
“Takumi!” She took a step toward the captured soldier but was held back but one of the other men. “Kazuma.”
 
Looking down at her he shook his head, “Stand back my lady.”
 
Onigumo laughed, “Yes stand back my lady if you want to see dear Takumi die.”
 
Kagome glared and stepped forward ignoring Kazuma when he tried to hold her back. “You will not kill him or any of my other men.”
 
Smiling Onigumo motioned for the rest of his men to step forward. With the sound of hustling armor “Do you see all my men here? All two hundred sixty-nine of them? Do you think your eighty-three. . . well, I supposed with Rinji dead eighty-two men, will be able to defeat us? Most of them are demon you know.”
 
Her blood boiling she stood tall, “What do you want?”
 
“Straight to the point aren't we my lady.” Not getting a response from her he smirked, “I want you.”
 
Tilting her chin down she continued on with a steely glare, her next words coming out as a growl. “Now who's being straight to the point?”
 
“Come with me and I'll let your men go. Simple trade with simple rules.” He gestured for the snake demon to press the sword closer to the soldiers neck, “So, what will it be?”
 
Kagome glanced over at Takumi then back at Onigumo, “Fine, but my men go free before I go with you.”
 
“My lady!”
 
The roar of the men made her glance back and smile sadly, “Once Takumi is released take the injured Mamoru and Rinji's body with you and leave. Return back to our lands, you will be safe there. And by all means do not look back.”
 
“But my lady Kagome!”
 
She shook her head, “Don't worry Kazuma, I will by fine as long as I know the men of the Northern land are out of harm's way.”
 
Stepping in front of Onigumo she stood in full rage. “Now let the men go.”
 
Pulling out a rope from his robes he took her wrists and tied them tightly together. With a final tug he disable her hands, “Heard some interesting rumors about you Kagome. Can't have you escaping can I?”
 
“Let them go.”
 
Onigumo smirked and nodded his head toward the demons that backed away into the woods. The men looked upon their charge with worry as they gathered their weapons and fallen men. Kazuma stopped and turned with Mamoru at his side, both bowed deeply toward her. Kagome smiled and bowed back to them but was forcefully pulled back up by Oniguma yanking her hair.
 
“You'll never bow for anyone else but me.” Grabbing her upper arm he hoarded away into the trees and away from the concerned eyes of the Northern lands' soldiers.
 
Struggling to get out of his grasp she yelled through clenched teeth, “I will never bow to you!”
 
Smiling he raised his fist and slammed down on the back of her neck knocking her out, “We'll see about that.”
 
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
 
A/N: I know what you all are thinking. Why the hell is this fanfic author that is notorious for slow updates even considering taking on another fic? Well, my answer to that question is that as much as I love writing “Remembering You” I realized that I was getting bored with just writing that one story. Also, it's been hard as hell staying part of the canon being as that story is a continuation, and if you've been reading, you know all those connections to complicated myths? Yeah, I don't pull that stuff our of my ass quickly you know. “Remembering You” is such a taxing story that I need another one, an AU, where I can write anything. AND IT WOULDN'T MESS UP THE CANON. Evil canon. . . if don't know what canon means. . . uh. . . look it up? Anyways here is my new story, and I know this a short chapter. . . think of it as a hook. If it doesn't hook that many readers in I'd like to know why (that's the reason for reviews people).