InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quadrille of War ❯ Oh the webs we weave ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Apparently I have this amazing ability to hook 6 readers enough that they reviewed (one person reviewed twice. . . the second time to tell me that the updates were really slow). Okay, so I'm a horrible fanfiction writer that NEVER updates. . . but I do what I can. Thanks for sticking with me through the seven months I hadn't updated this fic. . . and if you had given up. . . well, honestly? I don't blame you. That's more than half a year. I'm surprised that some people still read the things I post. Sigh. I'll try to make these posts worth while for you. . . Until next time! Enjoy the chappie!
 
Disclaimer: Inuyasha doesn't belong to me, but that's no reason to laugh at me.
 
Oh the webs we weave
By Hoshi-ni-Onegai
 
 
The crackling of a fire to her right roused her. The heat radiating from the right was a stark contrast to the cold to her left. Stirring awake she blinked her eyes open, attempting to focus them on something with in her line of vision. When her gaze adjusted it fell upon a darkened tent illuminated by a small fire in the middle. Groaning she lifted her head to look around noticing that the tent was obviously that of someone important. The tent was filled with the lavish desires of the most expensive tastes. A pile of the softest animal fur rested in the corner with silken sheets over it as a form of bedding. In another corner sat a small table of deep mahogany plated with gold designs. And so it went through out the room that was filled with the rarest of jewels, heavily embroidered clothing of royalty, and a rug covering the ground so as that nothing touched the dirt ground.
 
“You have got to be-” She halted in her words when she noticed that her hands were tied behind her back with the pole that held the tent up between her back and hands.
 
“You're awake.” She turned toward the voice and widened her eyes when she saw Onigumo walking in through the flaps of the tent. “You were out for six days, I worried maybe I hit you too hard.”
 
She tugged on the ties of her wrist but all they did was tighten further. She glared at him, “The men?”
 
Waving her comment off she sat on the bedding to leer at her, “Set free like we agreed.”
 
Feeling his eyes burning holes into her she looked away, “What do you plan to do with me? If you wish to hold ransom, you will not get it. The people of the Northern lands know not to comply to a ransom.”
 
He let out a hysteric laugh, “Ransom? Look around you my lady, that last thing I need is the Northern lands' wealth.”
 
“Then what do you want with me?”
 
Pushing himself off the bedding he crouched before her. Gripping her chin with his grasp he forced her to face him, “If you have to ask a question like that, you're more naive then I thought.”
 
She pushed her self against the pole, anything to inch away from the man. “Why me?”
 
Grappling her by the hips Onigumo jerked her to lie on her back on the floor. The forced motion pushed her arms in a manner not physically possible unless double jointed. Holding her screech as long as possible she could not help but let the shrill scream pierce the night air as both her shoulders dislocated.
 
Smirking he rubbed in the tears of pain that spilled over with his thumb. “Oh, did that hurt? I'll be more careful to be gentle next time.”
 
Biting her teeth down her eyes widened as she tried to swallow in the pain that coursed through her. The six days without food or water had taken its toll, and trying to stand the pain was draining her. Taking panting breaths she glared at him with fury. “There won't be a next time, or a first time.”
 
He scrunched his brows and gave a smile of scorn, “Oh, but being that you'll become my wife I'm sure you'll perform your wifely duties.”
 
Her eyes widened as she heard his words and felt his hand travel up her leg. “W-wife?”
 
“You're surprised? A marriage and I take control of your lands. And with a beauty such as yourself how could I resist?”
 
Feeling his hand traveling higher she clamped her legs shut. “I will never marry you.”
 
Leaning down he breathed in her ear, “And you think you can stop me?”
 
Suddenly the central fire in the tent and the candles through out the room were blow out by an unexpected rush of wind. Onigumo stopped his action and sat up, whipping his head back noticing that the racket that his men were making outside had stopped as well. That's when he felt it, a blade at his throat and an arrogant growl behind him. “She might not be able to stop you, but then again that's why I'm here.”
 
“Who the fuck do you think you are?”
 
“Doesn't really matter does it? Now, back away from the girl if you value your life.”
 
The blade pressed harder on his throat, and Onigumo's snarled at the feel of blood trickling down his neck. Pulling away from Kagome Onigumo moved his hand to his side attempting to reach for a dagger, but his creeping hand was given a firm kick by the unknown figure.
 
“How dumb do you think I am? Keep your hands up.” The voice glanced at the girl that was quickly falling into unconsciousness. Taking notice of the inhumanly bent arms he glared back at the abomination of a man. “Do you consider yourself a man doing that to a woman?”
 
Onigumo turned his head slightly and slanted his eyes in the dark, “You can see her in dark. . . You're a demon.”
 
The figure shook his head, “Close.” Lifting his right foot he set it on the back of Onihumo's neck. “Well, I guess it's our time to say good bye Onigumo.”
 
He cackled with no fear in his voice, “Naraku.”
 
“What?”
 
“You'll do well to remember my name half demon. Onigumo is dead.”
 
The figure shrugged, “Don't really care who you are, I'm just here for the girl.” With that he lifted his heal and slammed it into the back of his skull knocking him out cold.
 
Having taken care of the man and shoving him to the side the figure stepped toward Kagome. Walking around the pole he cut the ropes from her wrists and took hold of her left forearm. Bringing it to stretch out in front of her he carefully placed his right foot at her left underarm.
 
“This is going to hurt. Do you want something to bite down on?” Seeing her shake her head in a sign of no he wondered about the endurance of the girl. Shrugging he took a firm hold on her arm and pulled. Her gray-blue eyes widened as she tried to keep in her whimpers of pain. Raising his eyebrows he heedfully lowered her arm to rest on the ground next to her. Taking hold of her other arm he set him self in the similar position and glanced down at the girl. “You sure you don't want a piece of cloth or something to bite down on?”
 
She gave a gesture of refusal once again and he sighed. One thing was for sure, this girl was stubborn as hell. Pulling on her left arm until it popped back into place he glanced at the young woman and courage that she seemed to exude. Setting down the arm with the equal amount of care as the other he leaned over her, “You okay?”
 
Opening her eyes that had unknowingly closed, she tried to see through the darkness but was unable. Taking in deep calming breaths she could not hold on any longer to consciousness. Her head slumping to the side and her world went black. Seeing her limp figure he sighed, picking her up and carrying her bridal form out of the tent. Maybe it was for the best. With her completely out of it, she would not feel the pain that would otherwise be coursing through her shoulders.
 
Slipping out of the flaps of the tent with the girl in his arms, he observed the fallen men of the now known name of Naraku. Leaping through the camp he stole into the dense forest to leave a hoard of unconscious men in his wake, that would no doubt wake in a foul mood. Dashing through the underbrush and dodging low branches, he raced away even as the sun rose a few hours later on the horizon. Crossing the frontier of the Southern lands, he slowed down the moment his foot touched the neutral and sacred Central grounds, a land where no one had authority and violence was the gravest form of blasphemy.
 
Weaving through an even denser line of trees he came upon a rock cliff and hopped up to reach an overhang fifty feet up. Going behind a jutting rock he found the entrance of the cave he had been looking for and stepped in. Upon entry four heads turned toward the intrusion of the cave.
 
“Inuyasha!” A small fuzz ball of a fox demon attacked his leg but he made quick work of shaking him off.
 
“You're going to make me drop the girl you idiot.” Setting the young woman down on a makeshift bed of straws and blankets he turned his head toward the only other female in the room. “Tend to her wounds will you Sango?”
 
The young woman kneeled next to the unconscious Kagome, “She's just a girl. . . fifteen maybe sixteen.”
 
“Well one things is for sure, our client was right.”
 
Shippou rested upon the man's head that just spoke. “What was he right about Miroku?”
 
“That she would be an incomparable beauty.”
 
Sango glared at him, “Stay away from her monk.”
 
Grinning Miroky knelt down to grasp Sango's hands, “Oh do not be jealous my dear Sango! You are still the most beautiful woman in my eyes.” Rubbing her hands across his cheeks he sighed, “The only woman for me is you.”
 
Slipping her hand away from his she smacked him upside the head, “You're a man of the cloth you moron.”
 
He grinned as he rubbed the pain from his head, “And lucky for you I am part of religion that does not require celibacy in their monks.”
 
Blushing she turned away, “Still not your woman.”
 
Miroku stared at her a moment then turned toward the limp Kagome. “Then possibly our charge. . .”
 
His skull was met with the fist of an annoyed half demon, “Don't even think about it monk. Either way, she's way out of your league.”
 
“Yeah Miroku, why would a princess give you a time of day?” The small kit sniffed the laying woman, “What I don't get is why a girl like her is engaged to a guy like that.”
 
Inuyasha scrunched his brows, “A girl like her? You don't even know her.”
 
“She smells nice.” The youngest member of their group shrugged and hopped away to venture outside.
 
Sango smiled after the kit and glanced at Inuyasha, “So, does she?”
 
The half demon glanced at her, then returned his stare back at Kagome. “Does she what?”
 
“Smell good.”
 
Whipping his head toward her he yelled, “How the hell am I supposed to know?”
 
Sighing Sango faced the girl and studied her, “She does not look worse for the wear. Well, considering what she went through.” Circling her fingers around the girl's wrist Sango noted, “Under fed probably since the day she was captured, but I don't see anything else wrong with her.”
 
Crouching down on the other side of Kagome, Inuyasha rolled up the left sleeve of her robe. Upon uncovering of the skin Sango gasped. The monk looked after hearing the shocked girl and widened his eyes in surprise. Upon the otherwise unmarred skin was a discoloration of deep purple and blue that spread across and around the surface of shoulder. The bruise faded into the slightly tanned skin of the girl, and the same was revealed when Sango rolled up the other sleeve.
 
Knowingly raising his brows, Inuyasha sighed. “The bastard really did a number on her, dislocated both her arms.”
 
Miroku nodded, “I heard her scream as we were fighting the demons of the camp. I wasn't sure if I could simply just leave so you could handle the situation inside.”
 
Sango looked upon the girl with pity then set about searching through her things for a salve. “If we had moved in a few minutes earlier this wouldn't have happened.”
 
Inuyasha huffed, “Yeah, and if we went in a few minutes later, we would have a raped girl on our hands. She's just lucky we got there.”
 
Sango stared at the girl pensively as she rubbed in the salve. “We can't move her right now, I wouldn't even know how we would go about doing that.”
 
Miroku nodded and sat near the entrance of the gave, “Yes, it would be wise to hold off on moving her.”
 
Inuyasha growled at the thought, “The longer we wait the longer it is until we get paid.”
 
Giving him a deadpan stare Sango pointed him out the entrance. “Stop being a jerk and go find some food. This girl is going to need it when she wakes up. And take Kirara with you.”
 
Grumbling the half demon stomped out with the fire cat demon in tow, leaving Sango to tend to the starved girl.
 
Hours later, after the day started, ended and the night began, the smell of cooking meat wafted Kagome's senses. Due to her empty stomach she stirred awake, her body telling her to wolf down the meat that was a few quick paces away.
 
“She's stirring.” A feminine voice said as it made its way toward her.
 
Kagome feigned sleep as she sensed the woman coming closer. When the presence of the woman was looming over her Kagome snapped her eyes open startling the amethyst-eyed
woman. Deftly Kagome reached for the dagger that was strapped to her inner thigh and flipped it in her hand to hold it against Sango's jugular. Not averting her gaze from the woman Kagome demanded an answer. “Who are you?”
 
That was when Kagome in turn felt the sharp blade of a sword at the back of her neck. “That, bitch, is the woman that has been tended to your wounds. Now, this is the second time since yesterday that I've had to hold a person at sword point. I'm not one for idle threats, so why don't you put that dagger away before I lop your head off.”
 
A face of anger crossed her face as she loosened her grip on the dagger and slowly placed it back in the strap. The sword at the back of her neck lifted, she glanced back to witness a large demon blade transform as it was sheathed into an ordinary sized sheathed. Whipping her head around completely, her widened gray-blue eyes met with annoyed golden amber. In her vision stood a tall, lean muscular build, silver-haired, dog-eared half dog demon. Dressed in the red clothes of a warrior, but he wore no crest, swearing no allegiance to a kingdom.
 
“Y-you're. . .”
 
The half demon raised a brow at her, “Surprised a princess knows her way around a dagger.” He tilted his head studying her. Raven black hair that seemed to shine with a tinge of blue, a small limber body that was in no way belonging to `just a girl' as Sango had put it, and the deepest of stormy blue eyes. Adorning the clothes typical of the Northern royalty showed an obvious indication of status.
 
He was taken back from his reverie when she spoke once again, “You're Inuyasha.”
 
He smirked at that and faced the monk, “Hear that Miroku? My reputation precedes me.”
 
“Don't be arrogant Inuyasha, the ladies see it as unattractive.” Miroku stood up and crouched before her. “Excuse my brute friend here. He doesn't know how to treat a woman, let alone a princess.”
 
She took in the sight of the dark purple-eyed man with a short black haired ponytail at the nape of his neck wearing the customary garbs of a monk. Confusion ran across her face, “Princess?”
 
The monk smiled, “Yes, do not worry, we know of who you are. Your betrothed from the Eastern lands was the one to contract us into retrieving you.”
 
“Betrothed? Contract?” Kagome continued to speak with a confounded tone.
 
The monk was smacked upside the head once again by the amethyst-eyed woman with long black hair tied up in a high ponytail wearing the clothes of the legendary demon slayers. “She just woke up monk, stop confusing her with more information.”
 
“I was merely attempting to be friendly with her. What with Inuyasha being the first person she encountered, she must not have a good impression of us.”
 
“Hey I resent that lecher! I'm the one that rescued the wench in the end.”
 
Sango sighed ignoring the other two and faced the other young woman with a smile. “How do your shoulders feel?”
 
Kagome blinked slowly in surprise, “You're not angry?”
 
“About the dagger? No, a little thrown back, but not angry.” Sango reached for her sleeve to slip up but the other girl pulled back. “I'm not going to hurt you. We're not going to hurt you.”
 
“Yeah, can't have our pays being cut.” Inuyasha grumbled as he sat down cross-legged against the wall with his sword between his legs and arms.
 
Giving him a glare Sango faced back to Kagome, “Don't mind him, he's just being an ass. Now, let me see those wounds of yours.”
 
Kagome winced as her sleeve was pulled up to show the angry bruise. “I'm going to fucking kill Onigumo the next time I see the bastard.”
 
Sango stopped in her movements of reapplying the salve to stare at the woman. Miroku was taken by surprise as well and stood also staring. Inuyasha was the one to smirk, “Got a quite a mouth on you princess.”
 
Kagome shook her head, “I'm sorry, I usually don't curse. . . it's just. . . well, how would you feel if you were abducted and almost raped for the sake of land?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged, “Isn't it always about land?”
 
She stared at him, “If that isn't the most jaded comment I've ever heard I'm not sure what is.”
 
“Well, since you're up to attacking Sango and curse in the name of Onigumo, I think you're up to traveling tomorrow back to your betrothed, princess.”
 
“Kagome.” She said as she glanced down at Sango rubbing in the salve.
 
“Huh?”
 
She turned her gaze away from the woman and smiled, “That's my name, not princess.”
 
Miroku walked toward the fire that had a roasting wild boar over it, “Well Miss Kagome, if you're hungry you're welcome to eat.”
 
She nodded her thank you when handed a piece of meat along with everyone else. “So the three of you travel around rescuing damsels in distress?”
 
Miroku chuckled, “If the situation calls for it yes, but we're a bit more versatile than that. We also have two other traveling companions in our group.”
 
Suddenly a bounding ball of fur came tumbling with a purring cat demon following him. “We found acorns!”
 
Smiling Miroku motioned toward the happy kit. “Speak of the devil.”
 
Shippou stopped in his tracks when he saw the awoken girl. Creeping toward her carefully he studied her. Kagome smiled down at the small demon. “Hello there.”
 
The kit grinned, “You're pretty.”
 
Kagome chuckled, “Why thank you. A compliment from a handsome demon such as your self is an honor all in its self.”
 
Holding an acorn with his fingers he offered it to her, “You can have this. It will protect you one day if you ever find yourself in danger.”
 
Smiling she nodded and took the acorn in her fingers. “It'll never leave my side.”
 
The rest of the night was passed with a meal of roasted boar and small talk between everyone except for the quiet Inuyasha that sat in the corner. When everyone was off to sleep Kagome tossed around in her bedding. Sighing in exasperation she picked herself up and snuck out the entrance of the cave. Out in the open air she breathed in the night air and sighed. Noticing there was no way off the cliff face but down she shrugged and sat down on the edge with her legs dangling.
 
“You know, you could get yourself killed out here by yourself.”
 
Kagome glanced back at Inuyasha, then turned her gaze back to the forest canopy. “Or I could get killed if you pushed me off the cliff.”
 
Plopping down a few feet to her right Inuyasha stared over the trees. “Keh.”
 
“So what are you doing awake? Shouldn't you be resting up for the journey tomorrow?”
 
He turned his face away in a feigned annoyed gesture, “I'm not some human that needs a full night's sleep.” He glanced toward her, “So what's your excuse?”
 
She sighed, “I've been asleep for the past seven days. I wouldn't be able to sleep even if I wanted to.”
 

Silence lapsed between the two as they both studied the night. Not finding any oncoming threats he stole a look at Kagome. Feeling his gaze on her, she turned toward him, but he quickly turned away pretending to have not been looking. “So you're a man for hire.”
 
He shrugged, “You could say that. Whatever anyone asks me to do, I'll do it.” Smirking he turned his head toward her, “Well, for a reasonable price of course.”
 
She rolled her eyes and turned toward the forest, “And they say chivalry is dead.”
 
Serious expression crossing his features he glared at the waning moon. “Chivalry doesn't get you bread in your stomach and clothes on your back. Don't get ideas that I'm your savior or anything. Your intended was just willing to pay my fee to come rescue your ass.”
 
“How charming. Aren't you just the perfect knight in shining armor.” A saddened look came across her, “With the turmoil that's going through the lands these past few months I'm not surprised by your attitude. There are people dying and less people willing to fight in the name of their kingdom because of it. Can't really blame them, the world is becoming a place where it really is every man for himself. Soon, the Central lands won't even be safe anymore.”
 
“The hell would a princess know about the true turmoil of men? You hear about the what happens in the battles but you have no really have no idea.”
 
Kagome leaned her head forward hiding her face with her bangs, “Maybe you're right. A princess wouldn't really know the sufferings of men.”
 
Inuyasha glanced at the girl, maybe he had been to harsh? He sighed and looked away, what did her care? As long as he was paid for his services he did not care about much else. The rest of the night was spent in quiet as they silently watched the sun rise to start another day.
 
Later that morning the five companions and the rescued princess could be seen trekking the path through the Central paths toward the Eastern lands. Kagome walked next to Sango, preoccupied by her thoughts of what was to come. She was grateful that she had been saved before she was raped and being returned to more peaceful lands, but the Eastern lands? To her intended? When had she gotten around to getting an intended?
 
“Kagome?”
 
The girl in question was brought out of her musings when Shippou addressed her. Smiling at the kit that rested on Miroku's shoulder that walked in front of her, “Yes Shippou?”
 
“You're a princess right?”
 
Her thoughts jumped a moment at the question, “You could say that.”
 
“What's it like? Living in a castle, with everything you could ever want brought to you?” At Shippou's question Miroku glanced back and Sango turned her attention toward the two.
 
A faraway look came over Kagome, “Lonely.”
 
“Keh.” Everyone's attention was turned toward Inuyasha. He continued to look forward not giving the girl a glance. “Surrounded by people that submit to your every whim. Yeah, sounds like a real lonely existence.”
 
Miroku swung his spiritual staff to hit the half demon upside the head. “Do you not know the meaning of tact?”
 
Kagome shrugged, “That's okay. He's right, a princess is constantly surrounded by people. . . but sometimes that's the loneliest existence.” She chuckled, “Then what would I know right?”
 
Feeling the awkwardness of the situation Sango tried to change the subject, “So, this intended of yours. How did you two meet?”
 
This time Inuyasha did glance back but quickly turned forward. Kagome scrunched her brows, “Honestly? I don't remember.”
 
Sango smiled, “Childhood friends?”
 
“I think the engagement was forced upon me.” Kagome shrugged in her mind. Well, at least she was not lying. Avoiding the truth a bit, but not lying.
 
“An arranged marriage?” Miroku questioned.
 
Thinking it over Kagome nodded, “In a way.”
 
“So is there a set date for the wedding?” Sango queried as she pet the soft fur of Kirara that rested within her arms.
 
“Not that I know of. . . then again my intended could have easily set a date without me knowing.”
 
Inuyasha turned his head slightly, “I'd get rid of a guy like that.”
 
“Thanks of the advice Inuyasha.”
 
Sango scorned the half demon, “Don't say things like that. For all you know Kagome might be in love with this guy.”
 
Inuyasha lowered his brows at that but continued on forward. Kagome did not deny Sango's statement, what was she supposed to say? This time, she was the one to change the subject, before she revealed something she did not intend to. “So how much longer till we get there?”
 
“What? You're already tired?” Inuyasha mumbled on about weak humans.
 
Kagome glared at him, “When are you not a jerk?” She shook her head, “No, I'm not tired. Just want to know how much longer I'm going to have stand you.”
 
Miroku was the one to answer before Inuyasha could say anything worse, “Including this day, it is a journey that takes the whole of three days.”
 
Kagome nodded, “Going from just before dawn to well after dusk right?”
 
The five companions were surprised. Sango tilted her head, “How would you know that?”
 
Biting her lip Kagome looked away, “Well, they say it takes an average of ten days to go from the Eastern lands to the Western lands and also from the Southern lands to the Northern lands. Being that the Eastern lands and the Southern lands have a distance between them that is almost exactly half, you would assume that the average person would take five days. Being that you told me it would take three days, it would mean that you travel for longer periods of time during each day than the usual traveler. A common traveler would go from sunrise to sunset, hiding away most of the night from the nocturnal demons that hunt.”
 
Silence fell upon them until they heard Inuyasha laughing, “You're a piece of work princess.”
 
Catching the insulting tone in his voice she glared at him, “What?”
 
He smirked, “What? Did one of your bodyguards explain all that to you? If I were you, I wouldn't' trust what they say. Eighty-three bodyguards and couldn't even protect one whimpering princess. . . wait, it's eighty-two now isn't it?”
 
She glared him and stomped past Miroku to come face to face with him. Raising her hand she slapped him across the face and glared up at him. Although at a shorter stature she kept her own as she lifted her chin to seethe at him. “No one, and I mean no one talks about my men that way. If you utter another word of insult about my men I will rip your ears off and shove them down your throat.”
 
Inuyasha was taken aback by the amount of strength that was within that one slap, but was more surprised by her threat. Not the fact she gave a threat, but the promise of it, that it was not an idle one.
 
She continued on in her rage. “Those men put their lives at risk everyday for me, but more importantly for their native land. They fight for the kingdom and its people, while you fight for money. They are the most honorable men I have ever met, while you can be bought.”
 
Inuyasha had been willing to let it slide, especially after his uncalled for comment of one of her men dying; however, with her outburst of him being dishonorable he gripped her upper arm. His claws dug into her arms, a sensation that was much more painful because of her bruise. Kagome, because of her pride, did not flinch not wanting to show her pain. Snarling he glared her, “I would watch that mouth of yours.”
 
“Or what? You'll sell me to the first slave trader we come across?” There was no way she would back down now.
 
“No, because I'm not one of your bodyguards. My assignment is to take you back to your fiancée, I was never told you would need to be alive.” He tilted his head and sneered. “Just as long as I get my money right bitch?”
 
He shoved Kagome away but she made a skilled one step back to catch herself. Sango went up toward them to separate the two and glared at Inuyasha, “What the hell is wrong with you?”
 
“She talks of honor and defending land when she knows nothing.” Inuyasha gave a final hostile stare to Kagome, “Get off your high horse princess. You know nothing about me, I'm a half demon. A breed you obviously have no experience with.”
 
He walked ahead but Kagome yelled out, “What does it matter what you are, when you don't care about who you are as a creature of this world?”
 
He stopped in his movement but after a second he continued on. Miroku sighed and clasped Kagome's shoulder motioning for her to keep walking as well. “Please do not judge Inuyasha by what you see today. He always gives off the impression of a pompous ass with little to no morals, but in my life I have never met someone as noble as him and as loyal to his friends. He has lived a difficult life and I'm afraid it has hardened him.”
 
Kagome looked on with a stoic expression at Inuyasha. “I know all too well about what you're talking about.”
 
The rest of the morning was spent trekking the paths through the Central lands in silence. No words were exchanged as the scenery changed from the dense forest to an open plain to a hillside. A few hours past high noon and a few hours before sunset Inuyasha glanced over at Miroku nodding. Apparently it was a signal indicating for them to rest and eat their one and only meal of the day.
 
Without a second glance back at the group Inuyasha disappeared behind a small line of trees that grew close to the path. Noticing that Kagome watched him leave Sango sighed, “Don't worry about him. He probably just left to brood.”
 
Shippou smiled up at Kagome, “He's a lot nicer guy than he lets on.”
 
She nodded and followed the way Inuyasha had left, ignoring everyone else's advice against doing so. Weaving through the trees she found herself clearing the densely growing vegetation and stumbled upon a small river. A few feet to the left sat the sulking half demon on a boulder.
 
He did not turn his head but his ears swiveled toward her, an indication that he knew she was there. Tentatively she walked forward to stand next to where he sat.
 
She glanced at him then looked back at the river. “I'm sorry.”
 
After getting over the initial shock he stared at her, “Are you serious?”
 
Nodding she continued to watch the water flow steadily, “I shouldn't have said what I said. . . I don't know anything about you, I shouldn't have judged so quickly.”
 
He lowered his brows in question, “What made you change your mind about me?”
 
She stared at him then smiled, “What makes you think that I did change my mind?”
 
“Then why the hell are you apologizing?”
 
She shrugged, “I might be right in my judgment, I might not be. But you're the one that's going to have to prove me right or wrong.” Glancing back at the trees she tilted her head, “Besides, your friends are completely convinced you're this softy inside. And I'm willing to find out on my own.”
 
Inuyasha continued to stare at her then looked away to stare down river. “I never apologize.” She raised her eyebrows at him as he turned to look back at her, “But I know owe you one.”
 
She smiled, “Thanks. I know that's as close to a sorry as I'm ever going to get from you and I appreciate it.”
 
He nodded, “I shouldn't have said what I said about the men of the Northern lands. . . especially about the one you lost.”
 
Kagome looked away, “I can't believe. . . god, and Rinji was still so young.”
 
“Did he die protecting you?”
 
She shook her head, “That's the thing. He was just walking toward the men in the camp and an arrow pierced his heart.” She fisted her hands in rage, “It was a cowardly shot by Onigumo.”
 
He continued to question her, “Did you get captured in the space of the distraction?”
 
Kagome sighed her next words, “I never got captured.”
 
Confusion ran across his features. “What?”
 
“I turned myself in. . . Onigumo had us surrounded and there was no escape. He offered the trade of the men's lives for me. Obviously I accepted the trade. I was taken prisoner and knocked out for six days. When I woke up he talked about how he wanted me as his wife and whatnot. That's when he dislocated my shoulders and you came sweeping in.” She smiled up at him, “My hero.”
 
He blushed at her smile and words. Quickly turning away he gave his signature response: “Keh.”
 
“I really haven't thanked you for that. Preventing rape, and popping my shoulder back into its socket. I'm just glad someone that knew how to do that came instead of someone else.”
 
He glanced back at her and raised a brow, “Someone that knows how to prevent rape?”
 
She chuckled, “No, someone that can relocate my shoulder. I could have lost the use of my arms if you did it wrong.”
 
The half demon faced back toward her, “I was surprised that you didn't take my advice on biting down on something. You could have bit off your tongue or shattered your teeth.”
 
She shrugged, “I wasn't too worried about that.”
 
“How. . . I'm not sure if I should be asking this.”
 
Kagome laughed, “Now you're observing some tact? Just ask the question.”
 
He lowered his brows, “How do you know you weren't raped during the six days you were knocked out.”
 
Kagome smiled, “My dagger. It was still strapped on the inside of my thigh when I woke up. Anyways, I don't think Onigumo is the type of guy that would rape a girl in her sleep and not rub it in her face the moment she wakes up.”
 
“You're taking the situation lightly. I mean what happened to you, because you take what happened to the men very seriously.”
 
She shrugged, “These kinds of things happen to me all too often to worry about all the time.”
 
He was taken aback in surprise. “You're taken hostage a lot?”
 
Kagome froze before answering, she couldn't very well tell him the truth. . . “Yeah, you could say that.”
 
He lifted an eyebrow and sighed. Hopping off the boulder he stood next to her. “Look, I know you're skirting around certain things because you want to keep certain things hidden.”
 
Her eyes widened, “I don-”
 
He smirked, “Don't worry about. I get it. You won't be hearing about my deepest darkest secrets, I don't expect you to tell me yours.”
 
Kagome smiled at that, “Thank you.”
 
Turning away he walked toward the trees. “Let's get back princess.”
 
Catching up to him she shook her head, “The name's Kagome.”
 
Unknown to the young woman the half demon was hiding his blush and a stirring of new emotion was going through him because of her.
 
Once again on the path to the Eastern lands the companions walked in silence. Slightly irritated by the constant quiet, Kagome faced Sango and posed a question. “I've been wanting to ask you a question Sango.”
 
The demon slayer brought her attention to the only other female companion of the group, besides Kirara of course. It had been years since she held a conversation with another woman, Kagome was a nice break from the masculine topics of conversation her long-time companions addressed. “Go ahead.”
 
Kagome nodded as her eyes looked toward the emblem and grabs Sango sported. “You wear the uniform and crest of legendary demon slayer tribe, but from what I've heard the entire tribe has been killed off.” Noticing the immediate saddened expression on Sango's face Kagome waved her hands in front of her. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked something so personal.”
 
Shaking her head the demon slayer sighed, “No, it's fine. It's just. . . you're right. My demon slayer tribe was massacred years ago. . . I was the only survivor.”
 
Kagome nodded sympathetically, “I'm sorry.”
 
“It's not your fault. It was the fault of a hoard of demons. They swooped in without warning and took out the entire tribe. . . my family. . . I was lucky enough to have been attacked, but thought to be dead. After they left I sifted through the remains of my once great village but there were no survivors except for Kirara.
 
“I buried the dead- all of them. Afterwards I put on my slaying clothes, strapped on my hiraikotsu, and left my village forever. A few months later I ran into Inuyasha, Shippou, and Miroku. Due to a series of events I thought that Inuyasha was the demon that sent the other demons to attack my village so I tried to kill him.”
 
“She didn't stand a chance.” Inuyasha called back as he kept walking forward.
 
Sango smiled, “Anyways, we figured out it was a series of deceptions. I was going to keep traveling on my own but Miroku and Shippou invited me to join their traveling group. I decided to stay after Inuyasha saying he didn't care either way.”
 
Now it was Kagome's turn to smile, “You found another family.”
 
Shrugging with the smile still in place Sango spoke, “If you could call this dysfunctional group a family.”
 
“Family doesn't have to be only about blood. Don't get me wrong, blood is important but sometimes it's not the most important thing.”
 
Inuyasha smirked, “With a phrase like that people will think you don't like your parents that much.”
 
Kagome shrugged, “That couldn't be further from the truth. My parent are. . .” Her words trailed off as her attention was taken toward the dense woods that lined them to the left.
 
Scrunching his brows he followed her line of vision, “What are you looking at?”
 
“I thought I heard something.”
 
The half demon laughed, “Trust me, you won't hear anything before I do. Besides the freakishly cheerful chirping of trees there is no other noise from those trees.” Continuing on the path he called back, “Hurry it up, I'm not about to make this trip longer than it needs to-”
 
His words were cut off when he heard a thump behind him. Turning quickly he saw Kagome hitting the ground as an arrow piercing through her kimono right at where her heart would be. In a flash he was by her side, “Kagome!”
 
Gasping for breath she stared with widened eyes at the sky. Pulling in enough air to gasp out to Inuyasha, “Get them.”
 
“But!”
 
She shook her head just faintly, “I'll be fine. Go.”
 
Staring at her a moment he nodded sternly and leapt off toward the source of the arrow. Adrenaline pumped through him as the need and determination to catch the culprit. The forest scenery rushed passed him as he kept chase. How did he not smell them? How did he not hear them? And more importantly how did Kagome sense someone there?
 
The trees suddenly halted when he came upon a river. Sniffing the air he caught no scent nor did he see any tracks to tell him where they had gone. Having probably taken to continue upon the water to loose him, he had lost them. Kicking dirt up and glaring up, then down the river he contemplated trying to follow them but knew that he would not catch them. Whoever they had been were fast enough to lose him. Growling he spun back toward the direction from which he came.
 
Coming upon the path again in record time he found his companions huddled around the laying form of the fallen girl.
 
“Is she dead?”
 
His long-time companion all turned to glare at him. But what caught his attention more was the bitingly sarcastic voice of the Princess. “As much as you want me to be, I'm not dead yet.”
 
Coming to stand over the group he was surprised to see that Kagome was perfectly fine except for a light hole piercing through her clothing. “How. . .”
 
Rubbing the spot over her chest she winced, “I'm going to end up with a bruise there.” Noticing the confusion still marring Inuyasha's face she gestured toward the forgotten arrow next to her. There it laid, the weapon of assassination, but instead of piercing her heart, it pierced an innocent looking acorn. “That's the acorn Shippou gave me for good luck. With this kind of incident I think everyone should carry one of those things around.”
 
Remaining silent he looked from the arrow then to her. Something was off here. She had sensed that something was within the line of trees when he hadn't. He had also seen her raise upon on her toes so that the arrow would hit her in the heart instead of the shoulder. He wasn't sure if the archer had meant to injure her or kill her, but in the end Kagome was the one that had controlled the outcome. Staring at her for a long moment he turned his gaze away from her and made a point to continue on their journey.
 
Ignoring the grumbling of the group and calls of him being insensitive he kept on. Too many questions were spinning around in his head. Did Kagome know that the acorn would be hit the acorn instead of her if she moved slightly? Did she know that if she stayed in the position she was in she would have suffered an injury to the shoulder? But then that could have much easily been avoided with her ducking if she held that kind of speed. He stole a glance back at the girl that was walking, surprisingly steady despite what had just happened. Had she taken the arrow so close to her heart so that whoever had shot her would believe her to be dead?
 
Whipping his head forward he frowned. If that were true that means he had been a pawn in her deception toward the archer. She told him to chase after them, forcing them to flee and not be a witness to her lack of injury or death.
 
Who and what the hell was Kagome really?
 
A/N: PLEASE do not try to relocate a shoulder of a person. . . I have only seen it done by a professional ONCE and the last thing you want to do is do it on your own and fuck the person's arm for the rest of their lives. Call for help or take them to the hospital, unless you're a professional you should not relocate a person's arm. I know, I know, they do it in the movies but trust me, it is not that simple.