InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quadrille of War ❯ Secrets That We Keep ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author Notes: I'm surprised I have gotten this far in this fic already. . . honestly, I hit the ground running with this fic and with the short time in I have most of the storyline figured out ready to be written. . . I hope you don't give up on this fic or “Remembering You” if you are a reader of that as well. . . either way, enjoy the chappie!
 
Disclaimer: I own the patented Inuyasha torture device I like to call my laptop. . .
 
 
Secrets That We Keep
By Hoshi-ni-Onegai
 
“I'm surprised you're back so quickly.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes at the prince. “You said that if I came back earlier than the fourteen days, you'd pay me a quarter of the payment of each day I was early.” He gave his famous smirk, “Now give me my payment. The original amount and the seven days I came early.”
 
The prince gave him a death glare at his blatant rude tone. “I knew a hanyou like you would only be interested in money.” He gestured for one of the servants to come forward. The man held a hefty sum of money in a pouch and reached it out toward the half demon. “Now that you have your payment I assume you would like to leave.”
 
“That's usually the drill.”
 
“Why don't you stick around for my bride-to-be to come out? I'm sure you would like to wish her well in marriage.”
 
Hearing his words Inuyasha's eyes darkened. “Marriage? What? Now?”
 
The prince shrugged, “No time like the present I always sa-”
 
“Kouga!” The prince's words were cut off, as a livid Kagome slammed the side doors to the thrown room open. Storming up to where Prince Kouga of the Eastern Lands was sitting arrogantly at his throne, Kagome yelled. “I can not believe you! Of all the things to do!”
 
That's when Inuyasha and crew noticed Kagome state of dress. Instead of the traveling garment she had been wearing earlier, now she wore an embellished royal wedding gown in the style of the Eastern Lands. Her hair was pulled away from her face with a veil cascading down her back and she was slightly made up. If anyone thought her to be pretty before, now she was gorgeous. Angry- but still gorgeous.
 
“Where do you get off calling yourself my intended?!” With her words Inuyasha's ears perked up in attention. This was a new development. And any development where the wolf demon got his ear yelled off was a good one in his book.
 
“But Kagome you're my woman. It's assumed that we would marry eventually.” Kouga said in a panic as he tried to calm the furious young woman.
 
“Your woman! Don't make me laugh! You know very well that my father arranged my marriage long before I was born and it was definitely not to you! And what about Ayame?! She's still awaiting for you in Canis!”
 
Kouga smiled nervously, “You know he won't agree to marrying you Kagome. Also, Ayame is only a duchess. A union of the two monarchs of different lands would be a union for greater peace.”
 
Kagome waved his comment off, “I don't care if he will marry me or not. This is not a time when I should be worrying about such things. Our lands are at war with the Southern Lands. I will not have the deaths of some many of our people upon my hands because I decided to settle down with a husband.”
 
Pivoting on her heel she stomped away from him as she ripped the veil from her hair and tugged the arm-high white gloves off her fingers. She had been forced into this get-up, unable to protest before she had been tossed around by the female servants to be dressed to be Kouga's bride. She stopped in her steps as she noticed that Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango, Shippou, and even Kirara were there and in her path out the main doors.
 
“Oh. . . hi. . . um. . . I'm slightly ashamed of my outburst back there, so please don't mind me.” Kagome blushed as she avoided eye contact with everyone. She felt as if she had betrayed their trust, and she still had yet to work up the courage to look them directly in the eye.
 
Kouga's yelling came up behind her as he pulled her away from any proximity of Inuyasha. “Get away from the filthy hanyou Kagome! He was considered the best for the retrieval of kidnappings but there is no need for you to even speak to one of such disgusting blood.”
 
Inuyasha growled and was about give the prince a piece of his mind when Kagome did it instead. “Don't you dare call him or any half demon filthy or disgusting.” She ripped her arm away from his grasp and said in an icy tone. “There are moments when I can tolerate and even enjoy your presence Kouga. But I will not let you say such things of any creature that exists under the sun.”
 
Rolling his eyes Inuyasha turned away, “Stop being so righteous. People will start think you mean it.”
 
Kouga glared at him, “Do not use a tone like that toward your superiors.”
 
The half demon snorted, “Do you see a crest on me? I don't belong to any of your kingdoms. So, from the way I see it I see us as equals.”
 
“Why you insolent-”
 
“He is right though. I am no more of a creature of the world than he is. I highly doubt if my birthright will matter in the after life.” Kagome smiled sadly.
 
Kouga sighed, “Please let us step away from this issue and speak of a union between our lands.”
 
She prompt responded the prince with a glare. “There will be no union.”
 
“Then an alliance to defeat Onigumo. He killed your father and destroyed my land and massacred a town in my domain, I will have my strongest fight at the side of your men. Inuyasha!”
 
Scrowling the hanyou in question yelled back. “What?! I'm right fucking here you know, there is no fucking reason to yell.”
 
Ignoring his comment Kouga continued. “You and your men shall fight in the war against the South.”
 
Inuyasha barked out a laugh, “Yeah right. You can send your own men on a suicide mission to war but you're not dragging me into it. I don't have any stupid oath to keep with your land so if you'll excuse me.”
 
“Then fight with me Inuyasha.”
 
Hearing the gentle but firm words from the woman he had escorted for the past couple of days he stopped in his tracks. Turning only his head he spoke to her with only his profile showing but no looking at her directly. “Why should I? I'm not about to fight for the arrogance of kings and most definitely not for the arrogance of a princess.”
 
“Princess?” Kouga's questioning voice was cut off when Kagome raised a hand in a show of silence.
 
She stepped toward the turned away hanyou. “Then fight for the people of this pathetically divided land. Because of Onigumo we have brothers fighting brothers and the people's blood staining the ground. Join me to destroy that bastard and I assure you that no one will ever ask for the swing of your sword ever again.
 
After a pause Inuyasha sighed, “Why do you care so much?”
 
“Why don't you? These are your people.”
 
At her remark he spun around and glowered at her. “These aren't my people. The humans spit on me for my youkai blood, and the youkai try to kill me for my human blood. I don't owe anything to anyone. If you wanted my help you shouldn't have shunned me from the day of my birth.”
 
Soaking in his words and the pain that she heard behind them she nodded. Gathering up the skirt of her dress she settled herself of the ground to be sitting back upon her ankles. Bowing deeply, her forehead to the ground in front of her, with her hands at either side of her head.
 
“Then I bow before you, begging for your alliance in the war. I have never shunned you Inuyasha, and I never will. I admire your strength and skill. And I see it as a vital asset to our side. Please, fight for my people.”
 
“What are you doing Kagome?! Get up!” Kouga tried to pull her up from her place on the floor.
 
Kagome tugged her arm away from his graps and lashed out. “This man is the key to having a glimmer of hope for victory!”
 
Hearing her words and seeing the stern look in her eyes Kouga sighed. Turning his head toward the half demon he grumbled. “How much will it cost me for your services?”
 
Inuyasha glared at the prince. “My services? I'm not going to fight in a war I don't believe in.”
 
“I can hardly believe that. You're easily bought.” Kouga sneered back at him.
 
Kagome stood up and rested a hand upon Kouga's upper arm. “Leave him be. He may be a vital part of this war, but he will be of no use to us if he does not believe in the fight.”
 
Seeing the interaction between the princess and the prince he turned on his heel. “Let's go lecher. I don't want to stay in this kingdom longer than I need to be.”
 
The monk that had been quiet, along with the rest of their motley crew, sighed. Smiling and facing Kagome he bowed. “It has been a pleasure rescuing you your majesty.”
 
Following the monk's example everyone but the turned away Inuyasha followed suit and bowed. Seeing the gestures of her previously comfortable travel companions she bowed toward them as well. “I am in debt to all of you. Thank you for your help and courage.”
 
The monk dipped his head slightly and waved for his companions to see themselves out the door. As they slipped out of the grand hall Kagome couldn't help but stare at the backs of her rescuers. She doubted she would ever forget them or their self proclaimed leader with silver hair.
 
Months later we find our heroes doing hero like things. Being that they did not go to war, it is expected they replace their actions with something equally as worthy right?
 
“So they want us to get rid of rat demons?” Inuyasha scowled. He wanted a fight, a real one. Not one where a strong poison sprinkled around the farm could fix.
 
“It is a service they are willing to pay for. . . I see no reason not to do it.” Miroku pointed out.
 
Sango shrugged. “I'm not about to say no to a job that's giving us money for it.”
 
This had yet to lift Inuyasha's spirits. “How much are they paying us?”
 
Miroku scratched the back of his head. “Nine aurums. . .”
 
“What?! That's it?! That'll barely feed us all one meal!” Inuyasha continued to grumble as he marched toward the rat demon infested house.
 
The monk smiled at Sango, “Inuyasha truly is just a softy inside. He probably would have gone off to do the job for two aurums.”
 
Sango smiled as well as she reached into her pouch for some herbs and her flint. “Might as well get started and smoke these things out.”
 
A few days later the group can be found at the base of a tall tree with a saddened girl being calmed by Sango.
 
“It'll be okay little girl. Inuyasha will get your kitten out of that tree for you.”
 
The said hanyou raised a brow. “What makes you think I'm going to waste my time getting a cat out of a tree?”
 
Sango gave him a stern look, “You'll be up and down in no time! Just get the kitten would you?”
 
“I'm a dog! I shouldn't be saving cats from trees!”
 
She responded with a roll of her eyes, “Yes, because you get along with all canines. You barely stayed in the same land as Kouga before you got us rushed out of their like common thieves.”
 
Muttering about unpaid favors Inuyasha easily leapt to the high branch that the kitten had somehow found itself in. He gave the feline a deadpan look, “I can't believe I'm saving the enemy.”
 
Scooping up the kitten he jumped off the branch to land deftly next to the girl. Motioning for the girl to take her pet he soon turned away to continue on whatever path the group had been on.
 
“God, I'm tired of these charity cases. We haven't had a real job in weeks! With the power like my wind scar, your wind tunnel, and Sango's hiraikotsu, you'd think people would be lining up for our services.”
 
Miroku tilted his head, “But aren't you the one that turned down fighting in a war? If you really want to see more action I recommend we go to the city of Felidae and hope that Princess Kagome still needs our help.”
 
With a contemplative look Inuyasha voiced his thoughts, “It's been months. Doubt she remembers who we are.”
 
Shippou frowned at that, “I don't think so! I'm sure Kagome wouldn't forget us! We saved her!”
 
Inuyasha shrugged, “That's usually how it is with those kinds of people.”
 
“I don't know who you met, but Kagome was kind to us!” Shippou growled at the older youkai. The princess had treated him well and cuddled him on occasion. He was not about to let anyone bad mouth her.
 
Inuyasha glared back, “She lied to us.”
 
Miroku stepped in to stop the immature fight he could see starting. “She may have withheld her identity, but she did not blatantly lie to us.”
 
Turning away from the group Inuyasha marched on. Miroku sighed and glanced at Sango that held a similar expression to his own. Inuyasha had felt deceived by Kagome not telling the whole truth. Although he had yet to say so directly, it was obvious to everyone in the group. Miroku and Sango went as far as to guess that the self-proclaimed lone hanyou had started to develop feelings the young northern monarch. But then again they could have been completely off base.
 
Later that afternoon the group stood by watching as Inuyasha foolishly decided that he had a sudden need to be violent.
 
“Are you sure you should be doing that?”
 
Inuyasha ears perked at the monk's question and tilted his head back slightly. “Why not? I checked if there were any villages near by or any packs of youkai. The only thing that are in the way are trees.” Raising his sword once again he smirked. “I need the practice anyways.”
 
Sango and Miroku glanced at each other and sighed as they watched their companion swinging his sword like a caveman.
 
Readying himself and sniffing the air he grinned, “Kaze no kizu!” With a defining swing of his sword Inuyasha let release a demonic gust of wind that cut savagely through the landscape.
 
Shouldering the heavy blade he let an arrogant smirk creep across his face. That is, until a glowing pink light streaking across its path cut up the kaze no kizu
 
“The fuck?!” Whirling his head in the direction of the arrow he snapped at the shadowed figure. He glared at the figure but inwardly he was ecstatic. If someone was trying to sell him a fight he wasn't about to deny them. “Come out! I've been itching for a good fight.”
 
Sango and Miroku ran up to where Inuyasha stood and readied themselves as well. “What just happened?”
 
Not taking his eyes off the figure Inuyasha shrugged, “No idea. But if he wants a fight he'll get one.”
 
A tense moment later the figure stepped forward and lowered not his, but her, bow in surprise. “Inuyasha?”
 
His eyes widened in shock. Although he was in the Northern Lands he still had not expected to see her, actually, she was the last person he expected to see.
 
“Kagome?”
 
Kagome made quick work of the distance between them. Coming up to them she glanced from one person to another and back to Inuyasha. “What are you doing here?”
 
“That should be our question.”
 
She frowned at that, “These are my lands.”
 
Miroku stepped in and responded in Inuyasha's stead, “We just happen to be traveling through your lands your majesty.”
 
Kagome sighed and shook her head. “Don't call me that. There is no reason that you should treat me any differently just because I'm not who you thought I was.”
 
“With all due respect, I am sad to say I cannot call you so informally.”
 
Looking away she scratched the back of her neck, “This is one of the reasons why I didn't tell you who I was.”
 
“What? There were other reasons?” Inuyasha gritted out.
 
She locked eyes with him and crossed her arms shrugging. “Of course there were reasons. One of the first things taught to you as a royal is to never give away your identity to those unknown to you. It didn't matter to me that you came because of Kouga's orders to rescue me, I still wasn't sure if you weren't about to sell me to the dogs the moment you got the chance. Or worse, kill me.”
 
Sango nodded, “That's understandable.”
 
Just then a rustle came from the way of the trees from which Kagome came. The panicked voices of a plethora of men could be heard. “Lady Kagome!”
 
Inuyasha glanced down at the now groaning Kagome. She stood herself tall as the first couple men breeched the line of trees. Dressed in the armory and carrying weapons of the Northern royalty, this was obviously the royal army.
 
“Lady Kagome!” Coming to be a few feet away from her a tall and well-built man in his mid twenties came up to scold her. “Do not run off in such a manner. Are you injured my lady?”
 
Letting out an exasperated sigh Kagome smiled softly, and genuinely at the man. “Of course not Kazuma.”
 
He smiled back at her, “I worry when you run off depending upon your sixth sense.”
 
“Sixth sense?”
 
Kazuma and the hoard of men following him readied their weapons to be aimed at Inuyasha that had voiced his question. “Who dares to harm our Lady?”
 
Rolling her eyes Kagome sidestepped to stand in front of Inuyasha in a form of protecting him. “Stand down! For God's sake! I can defend myself if he meant any harm!”
 
The men obediently put away their weapons and Kazuma smiled. “Since the incident from a few months ago, you cannot blame us for being worried.” He nodded toward Inuyasha but continued to address Kagome. “Do you know this man?”
 
Nodding she introduced her past saviors. “This is the group of rogue demon hunters I told you about. This is Sango, Miroku, Shippou, Kirara, and this, Kazuma, is Inuyasha.”
 
Taking in the features of the hanyou Kazuma's eyes widened a fraction. “He looks just like-”
 
Kagome raised her eyes brows, smiled, and nodded. “I know. When I first saw him I thought he came back from the dead.”
 
Kazuma gave Inuyasha once over than looked toward Kagome, “It's only at first glance. They have completely different faces and the ears. . .”
 
She laughed a bit, “Yeah, I noticed that too.”
 
At this point Inuyasha growled toward the conversing two. “Stop talking about me as if I'm not here.”
 
Brandishing a sword one of the soldiers from behind Kazuma came up to stand between Kagome and the growling hanyou. “Step away from my lady you demon.”
 
The soldier in question received a resounding smack to the head from his lady. “I told you to stand down Takayuki! Don't make me beat you to next week.”
 
“But my lady he growled out you. . .”
 
Rolling her eyes she deftly gripped the blade of the brash soldier's sword and tugged it away from his grasp. “This is the man that saved my life, he has the right to growl at me every so often.” Flipping the sword in her hands she held it by the hilt and sheathed it back into Takayuki sheath. “Now keep your sword away until there is an actual threat.”
 
“Are you saying that I'm not a threat wench?” Being called placid and unthreatening was something Inuyasha never forgave.
 
She responded with a glare. “Are you about to threaten me in my own lands?”
 
“We're in your wild lands princess, you practically have no jurisdiction here.”
 
“Princess? Don't be an insolent fool, she is no princess.” Again Takayuki came up to say indignantly, but was quickly pulled away by the back of his uniform collar by Kagome.
 
“Leave him alone.”
 
Confusion raced across the face of Inuyasha, Miroku, and Sango. “You're not a princess?”
 
It didn't matter who voiced the question, because it was the same one on everyone's mind. No matter who voiced it the expression on their faces were different. Miroku and Sango confused; Shippou playing with a stray butterfly a few feet to the side; Kirara along with the tiny kit; Inuyasha. . . well, a flash of hurt and betrayal was evident on his face but it was soon dashed away with a mask of stoicism.
 
Kazuma was the one to push away the disturbance-causing Takayuki and stepped forward. “She is our Queen.”
 
Inuyasha feigned disinterest as he snorted, “You're a married wench?”
 
Kagome shook her head, “No. When my parents both died, it was my obligation by birth to take the throne.”
 
Kazuma smiled down at the young monarch. “She has reigned justly and well for four years.”
 
“And you have fought well at my side for all of them.” She returned the smile and anyone around them would notice that their was an unspoken acceptance between the two.
 
Sango furrowed her brows in question. “At your side?”
 
At Sango's question Kazuma frowned at Kagome, “You didn't tell them did you?”
 
Huffing she crossed her arms, “It's not exactly something you go telling every person you meet.”
 
“Considering the situation did you not believe it would be useful to know?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, “You honestly think that it would have been useful? Do you even think they would believe me?”
 
“But my lady. . .”
 
“And stop calling me my lady!”
 
Inuyasha glanced at his companions then back at the disputing two. It seemed as if Kazuma was scolding Kagome for some reason, which seemed unusually being that she was queen. “So what were you hiding this time?
 
Seeing that Kagome was having difficulty responding Kazuma sighed. “My self and these eighty-two men serve under Queen Kagome of the Northern Lands. She is the leader of our kingdom and the General of the army.”
 
“General?”
 
Glancing at Kagome, Kazuma saw that she wasn't resisting or forcing him to stop, he nodded. “Yes, the serving General of the army. . . You might know her as Ken wo Furu Otome, or the Maiden that wields the sword.”
 
“Or Kagome: war fighting extraordinaire.” Tugging on Kazuma's sleeve she rolled her eyes then motioned for the men to head south. “We don't have time for late introductions. We have a war to fight.”
 
Nodding Kazuma tilted his head toward Inuyasha and his companions and soon followed suit with the other warriors. Kagome stood still while the men were making their way then turned to look at her one-time companions. “It was nice seeing you all again. You are welcome in my lands as long as you wish. But Inuyasha,” seeing that she received the attention of the temperamental hanyou she smiled. “Please don't destroy my lands' wildlife with your sword anymore.”
 
As she turned away to go off with the tail end of the men Inuyasha spoke up. “I knew.”
 
Stopping in her tracks she glanced back a bit. “Wha- . . . How?”
 
“I. . . I didn't know you were the Maiden exactly. . . but. . . I knew you were a fighter, or someone that was hiding their strength.”
 
She gave a defeated shrug. “Doesn't really matter anymore does it?”
 
“I didn't know that the Maiden was noble woman, let alone the Queen of the Northern Lands. Or that you actually existed, you're more of a legend than fact.”
 
“Most people don't. . . and I'd see it as a favor I would like to return to you if you were to not spread that knowledge to my enemies too much.”
 
“Is it really that big of a secret?”
 
There was a pause when she seemed as if she was thinking it over then she smiled sadly, “I guess not.”
 
With no response from Inuyasha left, Kagome gave a final glance at his companions and tilted her head in their direction. Looking at Inuyasha finally, she raised her right hand to fist it in the air and held it over her heart. “May the gods be kind and protect you in battle.”
 
Hearing the beginning of the parting words of warriors Inuyasha raised his right arm in the same gesture. “And may the gods be kind and protect you in your life.”
 
Traditional reply given Kagome nodded. Inuyasha looked upon the woman with a new light. The helpless princess he had thought her to be had melted away to be replaced by the strong willed queen that did not blink at the idea of leading her army into battle. This was no ordinary royal serving his duty; this was a royal serving a duty that was not expected of her. Yet it was undeniable that he had heard the stories of her bravery and the battles she had won. The travel robes of the princess were also not present, but the clothing of a warrior with a lethal heirloom of a sword strapped to her waist. This was not the image of the princess that had plagued his thoughts even after three and half months. No. This was the presence of a queen and warrior that he respected a great deal more and that he would no doubt be unable to cast out of his thoughts as well.
 
“Let me fight with you.”
 
Hearing the barely audible whispered words of the half demon Kagome turned around. “With me?”
 
Locking his golden amber eyes with her stormy azure gray ones Inuyasha took a step forward. His hands making quick work of the hilt tied to his waste, he brought the sword horizontal and before him. “I give you the allegiance of my sword to fight along side you in battle.”
 
She stared at Inuyasha completely beside her self. This was something she was not expecting. Nor was she expecting Miroku to do a similar gesture with his staff; Sango with her hiraikotsu and Kirara transformed to her larger form standing proudly next to her; and Shippou with a hand full of his trickery leaves.
 
Glancing back she noticed that her men had stopped in their motion onward but did not approach her. Looking for the face of her seraphim, Kazuma, she gave him a questioning looking when she finally found him. Raising his brows he smiled, Kagome nodded and smiled back as well.
 
Revolving back around to look upon Inuyasha with his still raised sword Kagome nodded. Stepping toward the half demon she clasp her right hand over his that held the hilt of the sword. “I give you the gratitude of my people as you fight along side me in battle.”
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
A/N: Check out fanart for this fic at http:// hoshi-ni-onegai.deviantart. com (take the spaces out, or go to my profile and click on my homepage) and tell me what you think!!!!
Hope you liked this chapter! Review and tell me what you think! . . . please?
 
Thank you to my five reviewers!!!!!! (ff.net and mm.org combined that is):
 
Kagome's Reincarnation: Thank you for reading both my stories~ I will try my best to update as quickly as possible so please don't give up on me!
 
Tahitianbabe: I'm proud of myself that I was able to update within a month, hahaha. I always look forward to your reviews. ^o^
 
IchikoKitsuneKoumori: Kagome happy? hahaha, you apparently don't know my other works
 
twinsnake1706: I'm glad I got you hooked. . . although that does make me feel a bit like a drug dealer. . .
 
inuyashaloverr: muahaha! now you know who the intended is. . . I know, when the mystery is revealed it's not as amazing as one would hope it to be, but oh well *shrugs*
 
 
Till next time! ^o^