InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Raw Hands ❯ Raw Hands ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, Kagome, or any other Inuyasha-related things. They belong to Rumiko Takahashi. I wish I owned them though.
 
Raw Hands
 
“Wench—”
 
“Honestly, Inuyasha, if you're too scared to do it, then just go back to the bench!”
 
“I'm not scared, wench! I just don't understand why you humans do something so insane as this!”
 
“Because it's fun!”
 
“Nearly taking off your own head with a blade and falling on your ass definitely seem like fun!”
 
Kagome huffed indignantly, glaring and pouting over her green and black scarf. Her mittened hands were crossed over her chest, as she balanced effortlessly on the off-white rented ice skates. Her partner was unwillingly dressed in a slightly too small grey jacket and jeans, having refused a scarf or mittens, only the requisite baseball cap jammed onto his head. Because of this, his hands were scraped raw from falling on the ice. He was clinging to the side of the rink, his feet unwilling to do what he told them.
 
It was so damn frustrating.
 
The night before Sota and Kagome had been planning their annual Christmas trip to something they called a skating rink. Inuyasha feigned disinterest, because he wasn't at all interested in where she was going, because she'd already coerced him into giving her the extra day in her time.
 
Sota, the little brat, had slying commented that Inuyasha had probably never been, and Kagome fixed her eyes on him, which made him gulp nervously. When she got something into her head, it was very hard to dislodge. Especially when it was about “broadening his horizons.” Usually he would refuse, she would yell, he would yell back, and eventually she would start crying and he would give in. Damn woman powers.
 
Granted, the ice cream she had gotten him had been good, and the restaurant with the different kinds of ramen had been heaven.
 
I should make her take me after I get out of this hell. Inuyasha grumbled, still clinging to the side so hard he could feel it beginning to give way under his hanyou strength. That would be a problem. If he broke her skating rink, then she would sit him and he definitely wouldn't get ramen. So he lightened his grip a little, despite the tight feeling in his gut that he was about to die.
 
“Come on, Inuyasha, it's not that hard.” Kagome coaxed, taking hold of his arm. “Lean onto me, I won't fall.”
 
“I'm not about to let go of the only thing keeping me standing.” Inuyasha insisted, mortified by his own fear. Other humans going by were laughing behind their hands at him, or pointing and talking about him as they swept by on their bladed shoes.
 
Goddamn humans.
 
His own pair had seen better days, and whoever had worn them before had stunk them up with sweat, though the humans obviously tried to cover it up with one of their chemical sprays. Overall, he was glad that Kagome had forced him to wear socks.
 
“Inuyasha, it's not very hard.” Kagome said soothingly, tugging on him, pulling him away from his lifeline. Reluctantly, he let go and subsequently latched onto her, feeling his feet threatening to take him onto his ass yet again. He hated this.
 
“Alright, good.” Kagome said, wrapping an arm around his midsection, which made his heart flutter. “Now, push your right foot out.”
 
Inuyasha tried, but his knee gave and he lurched into her.
 
This is a bad idea. This is a bad idea. This is a bad idea. This is a bad idea… Inuyasha chanted to himself, flustered at having to cling to her.
 
“Okay…” Kagome pursed her lip, obviously trying to think of something. “Let's try something else. Hold onto me.”
 
She effortlessly pushed her skate out and began to glide forward, Inuyasha wavering on his unsteady feet but moving forward on her momentum.
 
“Alright, now do what I do.” Kagome instructed, sliding her feet out slowly in rhythm.
 
Inuyasha hesitantly tried, and he didn't immediately fall on his ass, which was progress. Soon he was moving a little faster, and the rush of accomplishment filled his chest.
 
I'm not falling! I'm not falling! I'm not fall—wait, fuck!
 
Kagome had let go of him, and he frantically reached for her, but she was too far away. His awkward motion turned his feet, and he caught on a bump in the ice and fell.
 
Bright red and very annoyed, he growled out to Kagome, who was grinning and taking his hand. “What the hell was that for bitch? You made me fall!”
 
Kagome brushed him off, holding still while he used her to climb unsteadily to his feet. He clung to her, trying not to hurt her with his hands while still making sure she couldn't pull the same shit again.
 
“You did well.” Kagome praised warmly. “You went a little ways on your own without falling.”
 
“Yes, but then I fell.” Inuyasha retorted sharply, still shamed.
 
They tried the same thing again, except this time Inuyasha didn't trust Kagome to hold onto him and latched firmly onto her arm and coat. He couldn't stand up straight, because she was much shorter that he was, but at least this way he wouldn't fall.
 
Slowly and clumsily they made their way across the breadth of the oval of ice, and then went towards tackling the length. He felt Kagome loosen her hold on him, and he responded by wrapping the arm that had originally been holding her jacket around her back and latching onto her hip and stomach.
 
I can't believe I let her make me do this. Inuyasha grumbled, annoyed at the flightiness in his lower abdomen. He hated being unsure, and not able to move assuredly. If something attacked them, he would have no way to defend her, or even to run away. He would fall straight on his pathetic ass and be stuck.
 
They made it to the other end of the rink. Kagome turned a bit faster, and to his great surprise, Inuyasha didn't fall over. A little more confidently, he began to make the same sweeping motion with his feet, and felt the drag lessening. By the time they were back to where they started, he was keeping up with Kagome, and not pulling her back. Eyes bright, embarrassment gone, Inuyasha pushed forward confidently, missing Kagome's cry of surprise when he sped up and started dragging her. He had already loosened his grip on her, and didn't notice when he let go of her.
 
It was so odd to feel the cold wind rushing past his cheeks without feeling the steady drumming against his bare feet as when he was running. He could also go longer on one leg that when he was running.
 
Huh. This may have some merit. Inuyasha started a bit when Kagome came up on his other side and took his hand.
 
“See,” she said proudly, “you've got the hang of it.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened, as he realized that he had indeed learning this annoying skill. Kagome was smiling at him, and the thought made him feel all fuzzy inside. She had wanted him to learn something that she enjoyed, and he had done it. Heart filled with pride, he pushed off hard, and then promptly crashed into the barrier.
 
“You need to learn how to stop, though.” Kagome giggled, helping him pull away from the side. He grumbled, but now that he knew how to go he could easily stop.
 
“Hah! I've mastered this skill of yours, wench.” He asserted proudly, puffing his chest out.
 
Kagome smile warmly. “Good job, Inuyasha.” His heart expanded in his chest. “Will you go around with me a few more times?”
 
“That's easy!” he huffed, but took her hand nonetheless. He was still somewhat unsteady on his feet, but he didn't need to latch onto her anymore.
 
Far too soon for him, Sota came over from wherever he had disappeared off to.
 
“Nee-chan, I'm going home with Hitoru.”
 
“Okay. Be safe.” She said.
 
Inuyasha smiled internally. Thanks kid. Now I can get her to take me to the ramenya.
 
When Kagome shivered, he shook her gently.
 
“Silly wench, coming to this cold place with not enough warm clothes. You should get out.”
 
Kagome huffed at him. “I'm fine.”
 
He growled. “Wench, you're getting cold, and the last thing we need is for you to get sick right before we go searching for more Jewel shards.”
 
Kagome frowned at him, and looked like she was about to argue, but stifled it and headed for the exit. Walking back out was awkward, and he could feel some sore places on his feet where the shoe had rubbed uncomfortably. He skinned out of the shoes and the socks as soon as he got to the bench, and glowered at Kagome as she took hers off more slowly.
 
“Put your sandals on if you can't wait for me to be done.” Kagome grumbled.
 
Inuyasha protested, but her glower was enough to make him search out his shoes where he'd left them under the bench. He'd though they would be stolen if they were left there, but they hadn't been.
 
Huh. Thieves must be pretty damn stupid here.
 
Kagome was still fastening on her shoes, so she made him carry both sets of bladed shoes back to the counter where they'd gotten them. The same kid with bright green hair and way too many face piercings took them, a bored look on his face. By the time Inuyasha got back, Kagome had her bag and was ready to go.
 
She didn't look incredibly happy with him, but still allowed him to take her bag and drag her out by her hand.
 
“Inuyasha, please let up. My hand hurts.”
 
Inuyasha let go of her, blushing embarrassedly. Kagome grabbed his hand as he pulled it away, running her soft hands over it. She'd taken off the mittens sometime, so there was no obstruction between their skins.
 
“You have worn the gloves, Inuyasha.” She chastised. “Your hands are all torn up.”
 
His hands were still pretty raw, but at least they weren't bleeding anymore. But he wasn't about to wear the constricting things just to keep his hands unblemished. They'd taken a lot worse.
 
“I'm sorry, Inuyasha. I probably caused you a lot of injuries. Are you okay?”
 
She looked embarrassed, and very contrite. He scoffed and turned away, but she had been around him long enough to know that it meant that she didn't need to worry about him and his injuries, to which she always responded the same way.
 
“It does too matter, Inuyasha. I'll put some bandages on it when we get home.”
 
Inuyasha frowned. If she thought he was injured, then they would go straight home, and then he wouldn't get to go to the amazing ramen store. Dammit, he should get an award for putting up with all this shit, and he was going to get it.
 
“Kagome, I ought to get a prize for going to do all this shit with you.”
 
Her face fell, and she turned away. Inuyasha was confused, until he realized what it must have sounded like to her.
 
“N-no! I—I just—Can't we get ramen!” He blurted. “It was nice to go out with you, but I should get ramen for having my hands all scraped up and all.” He felt like an idiot, playing the weakling who was suffering from insignificant injuries, but when she turned back to him and smiled her smile, it was all worth it.
 
“Insufferable jerk.” She grumbled, and his ears would have flattened if they hadn't been squashed by the baseball cap. She plodded proudly ahead, grumbling under her breath.
 
Inuyasha, sensing not only a sit but a refusal to return to the Sengoku Jidai, ran after her to placate her. Kagome in a snit was scarier than any youkai.
 
“Kagome—”
 
“I'll take you to get ramen.” She said, her voice careful. “After all, you put up with me all day, so you deserve a reward.”
 
Somehow Inuyasha didn't see this as an improvement.
 
I approached that badly.
 
No shit.
 
Dammit… stupid, confusing, irritating woman.
 
They did get to the ramen shop, and Inuyasha's mouth began to water.
 
“What are you getting, Kagome?” He could always try some of hers, and that way he'd get to try two different types of ramen in one day.
 
“I'm not getting anything. This is for you.”
 
He growled at her. “Kagome, you're already too thin to be skipping meals. You're going to pass out and then I'll have to carry you.”
 
Kagome looked at him funny. “You think I'm thin?”
 
He huffed. “Of course, you're small and thin and unprotected, and you need to be taken care of.”
 
He realized that that probably didn't sound great either, and waited nervously for her to start yelling at him, or sit him and stalk off.
 
“So, you're the one taking care of me?”
 
He was surprised, but responded nonetheless. “Yea, Kagome. I take care of you.”
 
He was more than a little shocked when she stepped forward and hugged him. Shit, he'd thought he was in trouble, but evidently he wasn't.
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha. It must have been uncomfortable to not be able to stand on the skates. I'm sorry that I made you uncomfortable.”
 
Inuyasha shrugged, snorting. “You gave up your family time to be with me and teach me how to fall on my ass.”
 
She laughed, but her eyes were warm again and she took his hand.
 
“You're a little rough, you know? But that's you, and I can't change that.”
 
Inuyasha felt a little horrible, knowing that he hurt her all the time with his insensitivity, but at least she had the sit power to tell him when she was pissed off, if not why.
 
“You can sit me when we get home.” He said dejectedly.
 
Her smile faded a little. “You went out of your comfort zone for me. I couldn't sit you for that.”
 
Inuyasha felt better after that. He would do anything for her, of course.
 
“So, what ramen flavor do you want?” she asked.
 
“Can't I have them all?”
 
“Inuyasha, you need to pick one.”
 
“Two?”
 
“There's ramen at my house that's cheaper, so only one for here.”
 
“Can I have some of yours?”
 
“I wasn't going to get any.”
 
“Yes you are!”
 
“Only so you can eat it, baka?”
 
“No, so that you eat!”
 
“Fine, fine.”
 
“I win!”
 
AN: This popped into my head one morning. I basically sat down and wrote it in one shot. I think it's pretty cute. -- Akihana