InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reincarnation ❯ Meeting a Friend ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reincarnationby FireFalcon1414
 
Disclaimer: I do not own, in whole or in part, the Inuyasha series. All rights belong to Takahashi Rumiko. I do, however, own the plot to this fanfiction and I'm very proud of it!
 
 
Chapter 5: Meeting a Friend
 
She awoke the next morning to the wonderful feeling of all those friendly little aches and pains she had managed to gain herself the day before returning with full force and a “Good Morning, Kagome!” The first thing she did was roll over with a groan - using as few bruised muscles as possible - and attempt to go back to sleep.
 
The second thing she did was jump out of her skin when Iyashii came bounding in singing, “Today you get to meet Sango! She came home last night and is really looking forward to meeting you!” with an added “Oh, and if you want to take a hot bath in time for practice, you really should get up now.”
 
A hot bath sounded like the most amazing thing in the world. All of her numerous bruised muscles agreed on this.
 
Because of this agreement, the third thing Kagome did that morning was get up, closely followed by stumbling down the stairs and along the walkway in her pajamas - receiving several very confused looks from the guards she passed on her way - while Iyashii trailed along behind with a training outfit matching the one from the day before.
 
After a quick soak that she wished was longer, she managed to convinced - bribed - the bruised muscles (which were feeling much happier after being exposed to soothing water, even for a mere ten minutes) that she would take that longer soak after dinner, she dressed in the assigned clothing and jogged to the dojo, arriving just as the first rays of sunlight gilded the horizon. She paused to watch, an experience she was sure she would've enjoyed more if her right tricep hadn't chosen this moment to twitch (read as: spaz), sending a jolt of pain along her arm. Note to self: Staffs are hard on my upper body, she decided.
 
“Hey! You! Get in here, before you're late - again!” Reikou demanded, and set about teaching her human pupil how to fight using daggers both close-range and throwing.
 
 
Again, her instructor held onto her until the last second, making sure she had the last throw just right before letting her go.
 
Kagome rushed out of the dojo and up to her room. “Iyashii!” she wailed quickly and mournfully even as she was stripping the sweaty top from her torso, “I need to change! These clothes are all smelly! I can't meet Sango like this! Am I late? When is she coming?”
 
Iyashii chuckled. “Don't worry, dear, I told her to come an hour after noon. And I told Shippou that his lessons will be an hour after that, as well, so no need to fear. Now you have an hour to bathe and dress in more suitable attire for a lady of your stature.”
 
“Oh. Thank you, Iyashii,” Kagome said absently, having zoned out at the idea of having time for a proper bath before she'd even hoped. I never bathed this much at home… Either this era likes cleanliness more than the history texts indicate, or I've found a distinct disliking for feeling sweaty, sticky, dirty, grimy, and otherwise… icky. Probably the latter. And that feeling has been appearing more and more often as of late, she thought dryly before actually hearing the rest of what Iyashii said. “Wait, what? A lady of my stature? What stature is that? I'm no lady!” she cried, confused.
 
Iyashii laughed. “Surely you jest, my dear! Sesshoumaru-sama would let no human into his home who he did not hold some small respect for, and none to stay in such home without some great respect; and Sesshoumaru-sama does not respect lightly! You must be of some stature, therefore. Otherwise you'd not be living here with us.”
 
“I… guess that makes sense. But I'm really not a lady. I'm just a regular teenage girl,” Kagome insisted as she changed into a more casual robe and looped her arm through Iyashii's, beginning the walk to the bathhouse.
 
“A regular teenage girl who is the reincarnation of a legendary miko? A regular teenage girl who is a miko herself? A regular teenage girl who lives with the Demon Lord of the Western Lands in his home? A regular teenage girl who is training to defeat a formidable evil who has already destroyed the lives of half of Japan?” Iyashii teased.
 
Kagome scowled. “Well, a not-so-regular teenage girl. And I don't remember telling you any of that! Besides, we're not even sure if I really am a miko. I'm just the reincarnation of one.”
 
“Shippou speaks eagerly when asked the right questions. And I have my bets on your being a miko; you wouldn't stand a chance against Naraku otherwise.”
 
“Well, thanks for the vote of confidence,” Kagome grumbled.
 
“Oh, dear, if you follow your training I have every confidence in your success! Like I said, I do believe you to be a miko!”
 
“How would we be able to tell?”
 
“I'm not sure, exactly; it's not like I am one.”
 
“Then where would I find one? I do want to know!”
 
Iyashii paused to think; then, “If I were you, I'd ask Sesshoumaru-sama to aid you. He must know of one nearby; it's in his profession to know of powerful beings on his land.”
 
Kagome nodded decisively. “Alright, then! I'll ask him tonight at dinner.”
 
“You might not have to wait, milady,” Iyashii said quietly, suddenly formal as she slipped her arm out of Kagome's grasp. “He's coming out of the bathhouse right now.” She fell back a respectful few paces, keeping her eyes lowered.
 
Kagome hesitated before plastering on a gigantic, fake smile and waving “Hello” to Sesshoumaru. He acknowledged her with a cold stare that made her wish she hadn't done anything to attract his notice, but stopped when he reached her on the path.
 
“You have something to say to me?” he asked monotonously, eyes not leaving hers. She had to consciously focus on holding her knees steady so they wouldn't shake.
 
When he stares straight at you like that, it's more that a bit disconcerting, she thought nervously, shifting her eyes away from his to glare directly ahead, at what happened to be his chest.
 
She glared without pause, until he interrupted her with “Don't waste my time; and look me in the face when - if - you speak to me.”
 
Well, it just so happened that this tone of voice was specifically the one that pissed her off. Anger gave her a backbone, and her glare rose to his frigid one as she snapped back, “Well, if you're going to be rude, I just won't ask you my question!”
 
“Very well,” he said, moving to go around her.
 
“Hold it! Let me talk to you!” she exclaimed, grabbing his sleeve in her hand to hold him still as she continued to glare.
 
He blinked, the first outward sign of emotion he'd shown. “Did you not just say…?”
 
“I did! I changed my mind!” She looked down, took a deep breath, made a visual effort to calm herself, and looked back up at him, with that fixed fake smile beaming again. She opened her mouth to speak, but he did first.
 
“Do not lie to me, girl.”
 
“Wh-what? I didn't say anything! You wouldn't let me! How could I lie to you?” she cried, outraged.
 
“Perhaps not your words, but your face lies. Do not smile if you are not happy,” he said simply.
 
“Well, if we're counting facial expressions, your face lies, too!” At the shadow of puzzlement she found behind his eyes, she answered the question he wouldn't ask: “You don't show people what you're feeling any more than my smile does! If you feel emotion, show it to me! Relax your face; you don't have to be so stiff all the time; and you especially don't have to lie to me.” Then, on an impulse, she reached up, grabbed the taught skin of his cheeks, and massaged them around, trying to forcefully relax them.
 
Meanwhile, he was too shocked to react, simply standing there on the path to the baths while she massaged his cheeks, staring fixatedly at this young woman that had fallen into his household to create havoc and shriek at his sensitive ears that his face lied.
 
She eventually realized what her hands were doing and dropped them to her sides with a quiet “Eep!” She then shifted her weight several times under his stare, glanced from Iyashii to a tree behind Sesshoumaru to the ground between them, and finally up at his chest - directly in front of her - from beneath the imagined safety of her eyelashes. He hadn't moved or spoken. Until he did.
 
He was shaking. Just a bit, and just his chest, but it was definite. She was beginning to worry if he was alright when she heard a quiet snort come from above her head - his mouth, she supposed - and realized he was laughing. Chuckling, more like, but even that was hard to tell, other than the slight shaking and single snort, and the humorous glimmer in the gold of his eyes.
 
She would've asked why he was laughing if she wasn't just so relieved that he wasn't killing her on the spot.
 
When she'd gotten over her relief - a full fifteen seconds - and was about to ask him, he answered before she could. “My mother gave me the same speech, a long time ago; complete with cheek rubbing.” He then turned and left.
 
Iyashii sneaked back up to where Kagome stood, looking after him, and they both stared for a short while before Iyashii interrupted the silence to say, “That was very, very strange.”
 
Kagome responded with, “I sometimes worry for his sanity.”
 
“I've lived here for the past twenty-five years. That worry has become a constant in my life. Come, we should hurry if you want that bath.”
 
It was only as Iyashii was dressing Kagome in a simple green kimono that she pointed out, “You never did ask him about the miko.”
 
 
Kagome made it to the prearranged meeting place with only two minutes to spare, quickly dressed in the kimono, hair still wet in its bun. She fidgeted for the minute she was alone in the room before Iyashii came in to announce Sango's arrival. The older woman left the room as her daughter - wearing that same old taijiya outfit - came in, leaving the girls some privacy.
 
Kagome stared. That fuzzy feeling - a cross between déjà vu, having it on the tip of your tongue, and not having a clue - was rushing her again, and staring was all she could seem to do. Sango, for her part, was seating herself across the small table from her and unceremoniously pouring herself a cup of tea. She raised her eyes slowly from her cup after taking a sip to meet the stare and ask, “For what did you ask me here, my lady?”
 
Kagome's throat closed at Sango's voice, and memory's flooded her. All she could choke out was “San… go…?”
 
The other girl grinned, overjoyed, even as traces of tears sparkled on her eyelashes. “Kagome! Do you remember me?” she asked eagerly, quickly rising to come around the table and put a hand on her friend's shoulder.
 
“Yes,” Kagome said, grinning as well, as she threw her arms around Sango's neck and hugged with all her scrawny, twenty-first century girl's might.
 
Sango laughed. “Kagome, I can't believer you're here! You came back! And you remember me. Do you know where the others are? Kirara, Shippou, Inuyasha? Miroku?”
 
Even Kagome, distracted by her happiness, heard the slight increase of hope at the last name, and her grin grew, if possible. “Kirara and Shippou are living here; I'm sure Sesshoumaru can help us look for Miroku; he's been surprisingly helpful.” Her smile faded a bit. “I… don't think Inuyasha's coming back, though. I don't know why. I just… don't think I'll ever see him.” Her eyes fell from Sango's face as she let herself be hugged again.
 
“Don't worry, Kagome. He was the love of your last life; he doesn't have to be the love of this one.”
 
“Speaking of past lives, Sango,” Kagome began, curious, “how do you remember everything? I admit, it makes my job a hell of a lot easier than I'd expected, but I'm curious…”
 
“I remembered everything ten years ago, when I was forced to watch Kohaku die. Again,” she added, all traces of smiles gone now. “My theory is that the repetition of experience and trauma triggered it. Ever since then, I've been training to become as good as I was fifty years ago; if I couldn't defeat Naraku then, I won't be able to now unless I'm even better. So I'll just have to get better.” She smiled weakly, and Kagome hugged her fiercely once more.
 
“I still can't believe you're here!” she cried. “It's too wonderful. I must be dreaming.”
 
“I hope not; I'd hate to wake up from this,” Sango answered, and they both laughed and set into their meals happily, speaking of past entertainments and future hopes.
 
Somewhere in this meandering conversation the two touched on the topic of training. “This wolf demoness is a real bitch - if you'll pardon my language. She drives me into the dust, then makes me get up and does it again!”
 
“Ha! I suppose you have a limited amount of time. She has to work you as hard as she can, if she wants you to be ready in time to battle Naraku.”
 
“But I don't think she's being so hard on me because she wants me to learn; she just flat-out hates me! You should've heard her bad-mouthing humans. We got into a fistfight. Even Sesshoumaru was worried about that one; but I got a few good punches in, if I do say so myself.”
 
Sango laughed. “Well, congratulations, then. But seriously, if you're having troubles with your teacher, you should ask Sesshoumaru for a new one!”
 
“I would, but I sort of get the idea that there aren't too many females in his army, y'know? And I think I'd rather be taught by a female than a male, just `cause it might get a bit… awkward. But I do wish there were a few more options; there must be some other women fighters somewhere!”
 
Then there was a moment of silence in which they both felt very stupid.
 
“I could teach you,” Sango pointed out casually.
 
“You could teach me,” Kagome agreed.
 
And so they decided to ask Sesshoumaru about it soon.
 
This decision led to discussion of that same demon.
 
“Kagome, Sesshoumaru's been so kind and helpful to you in this incarnation! And he was so nasty fifty years ago. I wonder what happened?”
 
“Well, I wouldn't exactly say `kind,' but helpful, yeah. I don't really know why. Add it to the growing list of things to ask him about?”
 
“Definitely.”
 
 
Dinnertime came, as it often will. Sango had accompanied Kagome to her lessons with Shippou, and they'd gotten nothing at all done between their excitement, but Kagome didn't mind. Sango also took the liberty of joining Kagome at dinner, making it much easier to bear than it had been when just the ever-charming Sesshoumaru and herself to make intelligent conversation, if it could be called that. In any case, she now had someone with which to team up against Sesshoumaru in the verbal spats, which they could not seem to come into contact with each other without having. As they seated themselves, the girls turned bright smiles upon the unsuspecting demon lord. He eyed them suspiciously.
 
“Sesshoumaru-sama,” Kagome said in a friendly manner, “you remember Sango, the taijiya who traveled with my preincarnation, right?”
 
His eyes shifted from face to face, still suspicious, before he gave a cautious, “Yes.”
 
Their grins widened, and Kagome continued, leaning a bit closer, “Then you know what a good fighter she is, right?”
 
“… Yes.”
 
“And you know how horribly Reikou and I get along, don't you?”
 
His eyes narrowed. He was beginning to see where with was going. “I understand the situation. The teaching arrangements will not change.”
 
What?” both enraged girls cried, causing him to wince a bit.
 
He raised a hand to rub his ear indignantly while explaining, “Reikou will work you as hard as you must be to learn what is needed in the limited time we have. Your friend - Sango -” he nodded to her, “- would go easy on you. You would not learn. You would die in battle.”
 
Sango scowled, and Kagome crossed her arms with a huff. “Fine. But with Reikou, I might not live long enough to see battle.”
 
“I'd rather have you killed by Reikou than Naraku. The latter would absorb you, making himself stronger. We cannot afford the chance.”
 
Both of the girls' scowls deepened, but neither could think of a comeback; so they moved on to the next question.
 
“Sesshoumaru, how can we find out if I'm really a miko?”
 
He sighed, putting down his bowl of food as he realized he wouldn't be eating much at this meal. “I take it you mean without putting yourself in mortal danger?”
 
“Exactly.”
 
He paused to think. Kagome and Sango waited. “I suppose,” he said slowly, “we would have to find someone of spiritual power. Another miko, or monk.”
 
“So? Are there any of those in the area?” Kagome asked eagerly, noting in the back of her mind that Sango had seemed to perk up a bit at the word “monk”. “She - or he - could train me! And I do need training; I don't know the first thing about being a priestess!”
 
“There is an elderly miko living to the North of here, on the border. Her husband died long ago, but she lives with her son. She may not want to leave him,” Sesshoumaru said hesitantly, and Kagome's eyes narrowed.
 
“You seem somewhat against this idea. Explain. Now.” He looked at her coldly. “Please?” she tried, giving her best impression of big, hopeful puppy eyes.
 
He looked away, disgusted. “I simply falter at the idea of allowing more holy creatures than necessary into my home. I am, after all, a demon.”
 
I keep forgetting that… Kagome thought. “What about me? You seem to think I'm a `holy creature.' Why do you allow me into your home? Hm?”
 
“You are necessary.”
 
“Which brings us to our next question!” Sango put in before an argument could form. “Why are you being so helpful to us? I thought you hated us. At least, you did in our past lives.”
 
“I did not hate you. You were merely in the way.”
 
“Which doesn't answer our question,” Kagome observed.
 
“Why should I answer it? All you need to know is that I am being helpful.”
 
“Oh, so now we're simply on a need-to-know basis, eh?” Kagome exclaimed, and Sango sat back, rolling her eyes, having realized it was fruitless to try to avoid conflict with these two.
 
“I was never under the impression that we were not,” Sesshoumaru responded.
 
“Well, we weren't! Listen: my favorite color is green, I've never been in a fight before coming to this time, my father's feared the Bone-Eater's Well since Aunt Kagome disappeared, my mother hasn't ever spoken a word that I know of, my cat is overweight, my favorite food is oden, and I have issues with narcissistic people! There! Six things you'll never need to know about me! Now it's your turn!”
 
“I did not ask you for useless information. Why should I give it?” he said monotonously.
 
“And there you go again; lying with your face! And your voice, too, now! You show no emotion, but I know you feel it. Let me see it! You have to be angry with me. I'm yelling at you! Yell back!”
 
Rather than yelling, his voice lowered until she had to strain to hear his words: “It is dangerous for political persons such as myself to show their emotion in public. In private I will laugh at your antics and yell at your anger, but in public I will remain unmoved.” She was suddenly very aware of the fact that his hand was on the back of her neck, squeezing, and that that hand was tipped in very long, very sharp, and very demonic fingernails. She looked up at him, unable to hide the hint of fear. And then the hand was gone and he was standing up, towering above her, looking down at her pitiful state. “I am finished with my meal. We will set the date to go in search of the miko tomorrow. Until then, good night.”
 
She shivered slightly when he was gone. “That was creepy,” she said to Sango, who nodded agreement. Silently, they ate the rest of their meal and left, waving to Rin and Shippou, who were talking animatedly at the far end of the table.
 
They met Iyashii outside the dining hall. “Kagome, dear, what did you say to Sesshoumaru-sama? He didn't seem terribly pleased when he came out; not that he ever does, but he went outside and hasn't returned. I really do worry about him, you know…” She then turned to her daughter. “Honey, it's getting to be a bit late. You should head home.”
 
“But, Mom-”
 
“Don't argue with me, Sango. Tell your father I'll be home as soon as I can, alright?”
 
“Yes, Mother,” Sango said quietly. Kagome walked with her to the front door, and they hugged good-bye. “It's alright if I come back tomorrow, isn't it?”
 
“You might want to let Lord Frigid cool off a bit, first - not that it's possible,” Kagome warned. “The evening, then?”
 
“See you then. And remember to bug him about going after that miko.”
 
“Of course.” They hugged again, and Sango left for home.
 
Kagome was left with nothing to do, and a surprising amount of extra energy. She turned to Iyashii. “Where did you say Sesshoumaru went?”
 
“Outside; but you shouldn't bother him, unless you plan on apologizing - which I doubt. As I said, he seemed less than happy.”
 
“Which way did he go?” Kagome asked, ignoring the older woman's advice.
 
Iyashii sighed, finding it impossible to avoid the inevitable; she motioned to the door leading to the southwest garden. “If you go out there, I'm not going with you,” she warned as a last effort. Kagome grinned, said goodbye, and left through the indicated door.
 
This garden was full of sweeping trees, and tasteful wind chimes hung eerily from each, harmonizing to form a soothing song. She found Sesshoumaru sitting on the ground under one such tree, staring intently upwards. Before she could speak, he said, “I thought you'd have given up by now.”
 
Her face, softened by the chimes, hardened at his words. “I'm not one to give up so easily,” she retorted.
 
He turned his head slightly, still not facing her, but giving her a three-quarter view of his face. His eyes remained on the stars. “I thought I'd have scared you away.”
 
“I don't scare so easily, either,” she said quietly, the hardness melting as she realized this was all the apology she'd get.
 
“Good,” he said, head turning back to its original direction. She moved to sit beside him, and he didn't protest.
 
There was a moment of silence; then she asked, “I love the wind chimes.”
 
“My mother grew all the trees in these gardens. They went untended until Rin came along; she adores plants. She planted all the flowers and hung the chimes.”
 
“It's very soothing.”
 
“Yes.”
 
More silence. Time passed. Kagome yawned.
 
“You are tired. Go to bed.”
 
“If you can stay out late, so can I.”
 
He sighed. “I am a demon; I can go over a week without sleep.”
 
“Well, I'm a human. I can spend a night outside with a friend.”
 
“`Friend'?” Though she couldn't see him, she could tell he was watching out of the corner of his eye. That had gotten his attention.
 
“Yeah. Even though all we ever do is fight, we're friends.”
 
A pause. “Friend.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Go to sleep.”
 
“I'm not leaving you out here alone.”
 
“I never said to go to bed. I said to go to sleep.”
 
She blinked. Without asking, she grabbed him by the arm, hugged it to herself, and closed her eyes.
 
He didn't move away.
 
She didn't let go.
 
 
Author's Note: Alright, everyone, here's your chapter. Just so you know, I'm starting a mailing list, so leave a review asking me to send you an email when I update and I'll be sure to add you. Make sure your account has a valid email address, though, or if you don't have an account then leave the email address in the review, because otherwise it won't work. As you probably know, I've been having EXTREME PROBLEMS motivating myself to write lately… as in, for a while I thought I'd dropped it. Then I got a couple reviews and emails from readers, and decided I'd try to write a bit more. And I did. And this is the result. Very late, but better than nothing, right? And it was fluffy! Yay for fluffiness!
~FireFalcon1414