InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sachi ❯ Check ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don’t own ‘em, and I’m flatter than broke. ‘Nuff said, right?

 

CHAPTER 5

 

 

 

 

****************************** ****************************************

Three moves later, Miroku sat straight up with a little murmur of surprise, and leaned forward to stare. After a moment, he threw a half-laughing, half-incredulous glance at InuYasha. “I don’t believe it.” He frowned, then sat back, looking slightly stunned. “Damn. I can’t avoid it.”

InuYasha’s smirk only widened. “Who’s being stupid again?”

On her next turn, Kagome had Miroku’s silver general--and from the way Shippou started hopping up and down and squealing, it was a severe blow for him. After a moment of taking in the alert, excited looks coming from both InuYasha and Shippou--and the startled one coming from Miroku--she realized that the move had put her back into serious game play. Miroku was now on the defensive.

Four moves later, thanks to a mere pawn and a little advice from Shippou, she had one of his knights.

Twenty minutes after that--and after a heated group discussion before her every move--she had him in check. That time even she got excited.

That was when Miroku stopped giving her advice.

Fifteen minutes and one very intense chase across the board after that, Kagome moved one of her pawns next to Miroku’s king, and with a huge grin--Shippou practically dancing on her head--hesitantly declared, “Checkmate?”

Miroku just sat back and started shaking his head in disbelief. He blinked, and murmured something to himself. Then, heaving a good-natured sigh, he picked up the flat piece representing his king. With a flourish, he handed it to Kagome. “Well-played, my lady.” He shook his head again, mournfully. “I’ve been outdone by a beautiful woman. Ah, well. Life could be worse.” He looked at Shippou and InuYasha, who were--respectively--grinning and smirking triumphantly. “Although, in the interest of fairness, I would like to point out that this match was technically three-on-one.”

“Heh.” InuYasha grabbed the piece from Kagome and slapped it off to the side. “Face it, monk. You lost.”

Shippou was nodding. “Yep. For the first time since we came here, Miroku, you lost at shogi.” He tapped a finger on his chin. “I guess I’m going to have to start a losing tally for you now, too.”

Lips twitching at Miroku’s crestfallen look, Kagome pushed onto her feet, stretching slowly before glancing around the table. “Thank you for teaching me how to play,” she said, bowing to all three. “That was fun.”

Miroku waved a hand dismissively, eyes laughing at her formality. “It was our pleasure.” He paused, darting a sly look at InuYasha, who was trying his best--and failing quite miserably--not to seem like he was staring at Kagome. “Although…to save my pride after being beaten by such an amateur, perhaps a consolation prize is in order?”

Kagome looked surprised. InuYasha looked suspicious. Miroku nodded, his smile wicked. “A kiss, perhaps?”

“Keh!” InuYasha was on his feet before Kagome could react, stepping in front of her with a glare. “Perhaps you should clean up this mess, monk.” The faintest of warning growls could be heard hovering beneath his words.

Unconcerned, Miroku just gave a shrug and an ‘oh well’ glance at Kagome before he started gathering up the pieces from the board and the table.

“Kagome!” Shippou jumped from her head into her arms. “Since you and I just did the impossible,” he said, totally ignoring InuYasha’s start of indignation at being left out, “I think we should have some hot chocolate to celebrate.”

“Well…” She hesitated, and he didn’t hesitate to turn the full force of his best pleading eyes on her. She smiled, then glanced around the room. “Hot chocolate sounds good.” Her gaze settled on InuYasha. “That is, if it’s All right with everyone. It is getting kind of late.”

For just a moment, he seemed surprised by her questioning glance. Then he turned away, crossing his arms with an annoyed frown. “Tch. Don’t ask me. I don’t care what you do.”

With a slight roll of her eyes, she looked at Miroku, who waved his hand again. “I think hot chocolate is a wonderful idea. But please, go on without me. I want to make sure everything here is put away--and don’t even think about offering to help.” He cut her off before the words could leave her mouth. “Right now, you’re the winner, not the help. Go enjoy a reward.”

With a smile and a nod, Kagome turned with Shippou in her arms, heading for the kitchen. “I’ll be more than happy to make you some if you change your mind.” The two disappeared down the hall, leaving InuYasha and Miroku alone with the shogi pieces strewn about the table.

InuYasha’s frown didn’t subside as he stared at the doors they’d passed through. “That kid talks too much.”

Miroku gave a frown of his own and picked up one of the flat wedges of wood. “He feels comfortable around Kagome. We all do. There are bound to be slips every once in a while…” one black eyebrow lifted slightly as dark eyes flitted briefly over his friend,“…even from you.”

He scowled, but decided to ignore the pointed reminder. “He knows the difference between what’s ok and what’s not.”

“And he knows the risks,” Miroku agreed, rolling the piece--a king--between his fingers. “Maybe even better than you or I do. Remember, you’re not the only one with reasons to be here.”

The silver head turned, the golden eyes hidden from view. “Don’t worry. That’s one of those things I don’t ever forget.”

The king was slammed down with a dull bang, scattering shogi pieces across the floor and drawing InuYasha’s gaze. Miroku sat as unmoving as he had before, his wounded right hand now splayed as flat as possible on the table, staring intensely at the circular scar and the perpetually bent fingers. “Neither do I,” he said quietly.

InuYasha stared, first at him, then at the remnants of their game. A few minutes of understanding silence ensued as both men were lost in thought. Finally, InuYasha shook himself and crouched to pick up a few of the pieces at his feet. Miroku gave him a surprised look. “You’re not going to join them for hot chocolate? You are one of the winning party, you know.”

Standing again, a clawed hand tossed the pieces onto the table. “I’m not thirsty,” came the terse reply.

“Really?” Miroku brightened and stood, brushing the wrinkles from his loose dress-shirt. “Well then, if you’re not in the mood to have a drink with a pretty lady, I might as well--”

The wrinkles he’d just smoothed out returned as the dark material was bunched in the hands of his irritated employer, and he was jerked halfway across the table to stare into a pair of dangerous golden eyes. “How many times do I have to tell you to leave her alone?”

Miroku’s eyebrows shot up. “It’s not like I was planning on bothering her--” Clawed fingers tightened, and the captive man’s hands immediately rose in surrender. “Well…. You know, on second thought, I’m not really thirsty either. As Kagome said, it is getting late--I think I’ll just go to bed.”

With a snort, InuYasha released him and turned away, heading for the doors. Miroku stared at his retreating back as he readjusted his shirt. “It’s interesting…how you’re so protective of someone that you routinely try to ignore out of existence.”

That got him to pause, just inside the doors, a hand gripping at the frame. “I fucking well wish I could ignore her.” His rough-edged mutter was quiet, but still loud enough for his friend to hear, and then he was gone, vanished down the hallway.

Miroku stared after him, then around the room. “Well, then…” With a sigh, he knelt and began gathering up the pieces. “So…what do you think?”

A dry old chuckle came from beyond the open doors closest to his table, and the heavy shuffle of slippers preceded the entrance of the Sachi’s official housekeeper. Kaede was dressed warmly, in a thick skirt with her heavy woolen wrap around her shoulders, a small book in her hands. She stopped just inside the dining room, and watched as Miroku continued to collect and organize the game.

“I think that you all seemed especially spirited tonight. It was the loudest game of shogi I’ve ever heard you play. The Amigawas commented on it when they came in earlier. I assured them you wouldn’t disturb their sleep.”

Miroku seemed surprised by her answer, and his brow furrowed as he reflected for a moment. He smiled faintly. “Yes. I suppose we did get rather energetic.” He fished a rook out from under the table. “Well, it probably was one of the most challenging, entertaining games I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing. I’ve never seen Shippou so involved before,” he tossed the rook onto the table, his smile widening almost imperceptibly, “and Kagome and InuYasha worked…very well together. She seems to have a calming effect on him. It was the first time I’ve ever seen him play so cautiously.”

“Indeed. Kagome seems to be having a positive affect on everyone here. It’s been interesting to watch.” Kaede returned his smile. “I think, perhaps, her arrival heralds yet another dramatic change for the Sachi.”

“Change is already here.” He looked down at his hand, his smile fading. “But is it a good thing?”

Kaede considered him for a moment. “Are you worried about our unexpected guest…or about InuYasha?”

“Shouldn’t I be worried about both?” He started stacking the pieces in their box. “InuYasha is….” He hesitated, unsure of how much to say.

“InuYasha is being his usual stubborn self, and fighting his attraction to her with every fiber of his being.” She smiled again when Miroku shot her a surprised look. “I am old, Miroku, not blind. The air around those two is quite….” For a moment, her gaze turned far away. “Do you see that the interest is mutual? Kagome reacted to him from the start.”

“She is more accepting about it than he is.” Miroku agreed readily, then shook his head. “I don’t know, Kaede. I simply don’t know. If she looked like anyone else….”

Her eyes deadpanned, and her brows rose knowingly. “If she looked like anyone else, you would be sabotaging his efforts to avoid her at every turn? You would be pushing him instead of simply teasing him?”

Normally, Miroku would have laughed, but in this case, all he could manage was a reluctant nod and a tensing around his eyes and mouth. “It would be good for him. Shutting himself off, avoiding everyone, brooding constantly--it isn’t healthy. We both know this, and still that’s all he’s done since the moment we came here.” His fist thumped on the table almost absently. “A living death is not the same as peace.”

“And yet, in the three weeks since he brought her in here, she has already started to draw him out.” Kaede’s dark gaze drifted to the doorway that led to the kitchen. “InuYasha knows this. That is the source of his hostility.”

“I have to wonder, though, is she any better? Is it her…or is it her face? I have to admit, Kaede, I like her, but I’m worried.” He sighed. “Do you sense it? There’s something about her, something so faint that I can’t pinpoint it.”

“I do.” Kaede agreed. “I do not know what it is, either…but it does not feel evil or malicious.” She frowned, thinking. “Still, I do not feel that her arrival here is a bad thing, despite her appearance. Have you considered…contacting him?”

Miroku shook his head firmly. “No. InuYasha won’t even hear it, and I won’t go behind his back.” He considered seriously for a minute, then gave a frown of his own. “At least, not without a damn good reason.”

She quieted for a moment before speaking again, her tone serene. “It seems, then, that time is the only thing that will provide us with answers, Miroku. We will keep an eye on things, and step in only if we’re needed.”

With mutual nods of agreement and nothing more to be said, Miroku finished putting away the wooden wedges and got to his feet, leaving the rest of the box and the board on the table. “Well, since I have been effectively banished from the kitchen until Kagome departs, shall I accompany you out to your cabin, Lady Kaede?”

She gave him a dry look. “If you think the walk through the cold will not be too life-endangering for you, monk.”

He only smiled chivalrously. “Dear woman, you wound me. Anything for a lady in need.”

She pulled her wrap tighter in preparation for the frigid night temperatures while Miroku went off to find his jacket. Her old eyes lingered on the doorway, the wrinkles at their corners deepening as she contemplated the empty hallway beyond. “It has been quite a while since I’ve seen such a spark in the air.” She glanced around the empty room, eyes twinkling. “Such an interesting legend the Sachi has….”

And such a curious presence here. It does make one wonder….

***************************************************** *****************

He’d almost made it. He’d almost gotten by without any contact at all.

Almost.

“Your grasp on the game is amazing, Shippou.” Kagome’s voice came drifting out into the hallway just as InuYasha was walking by, and he stopped in his tracks as the sound resonated in his ears, sending an imperceptible shiver through the soft appendages. He scowled at the reaction and flattened them.

He’d really been hoping to avoid her altogether for the rest of the night.

“Here. Be careful, it’s hot.” He heard the dull clunk of a hardened clay vessel being set on the surface of the countertop. “We never would have won without you, you know.” She was smiling--he could hear it in the gentle warmth of her tone.

“I know.” Despite the smug declaration, Shippou sounded pleased. “I don’t ever play, but I always watch them play, so I know how both InuYasha and Miroku think. If InuYasha would just listen to me every once in a while, he wouldn’t lose all the time.”

I know how to play shogi, dammit! His scowl deepened. He should just go to his room and go to sleep. It’s what he’d been intending to do. He could still just walk right by. It wouldn’t even matter if they noticed him--it wasn’t like he was obligated to respond if they said anything….

“How do you know so much about rules and strategy, Shippou? Did Miroku teach you, or did you just learn on your own?”

A heavy silence followed her good-natured question, and InuYasha‘s attention instinctively turned back to the occupants of the kitchen. Kagome spoke again, obviously concerned. “Shippou? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

InuYasha rolled his eyes at the response, and made a mental note to talk to him later. If the kid was going to lie, he really should learn to do it better.

“My…. My father was the one who taught me how to play.”

Immediately, InuYasha’s eyes closed as his palm hit his forehead. Shit. His parents. He sighed, then glanced around the darkened hallway helplessly, torn between the need to make his presence known to the two in the kitchen, and the desire to get as far away from her as possible.

“Your…father?” Kagome realized right away that she’d stepped into yet another area that she shouldn’t have. Her voice was suddenly quiet, and filled with uncertainty. “Shippou….”

“Shogi was his favorite game. He used to say that you could read everything important there was to know about a person from the way they played a game of shogi.” Surprisingly, his young voice was calm, almost matter-of-fact…if a little thick. Still hidden out of sight, golden eyes tightened in a wince--half in sympathy, half in annoyance. At least the kid wasn’t crying. “I haven’t actually played since he and my mother died.”

“Shippou….” Her voice was soft again, delicate as a velvet glove. “You miss them, don’t you?”

“Yeah.” Suddenly, he perked up again. “But it’s all right. I like it here. The Sachi’s a fun place to live.” His voice lowered conspiratorially. “Weird things happen here all the time.”

Her voice lowered accordingly. “Like beating Miroku at shogi?”

InuYasha’s eyebrows shot up when he heard Shippou give an oddly familiar-sounding snort, and his voice rose to its previous self-importance. “Nah. That was pure skill. My father used to say that any game can be won given the right strategy and proper attention to detail.”

Kagome laughed. “Your father sounds like he was smart.”

“Oh, he was. Very.” Pride and enthusiasm shone like a beacon through his words, brightening his tone. “My father was an absolutely brilliant fox. I mean he was an--”

Damn.

Jaw clenching tight, InuYasha stepped around the doorframe and into the kitchen. He stopped just inside, his eyes falling on the singularly adorable scene of Shippou--cross-legged on the counter in the middle of the room, cup in hand--gazing earnestly at Kagome as she leaned against the countertop next to him, chin resting on her folded arms, mug sitting off to the side. Despite himself, his gaze lingered on her form, distracted by the way her oversized shirt clung to certain parts while softening others, serving only to accent her curves instead of hiding them.

“--actual, literal genius. He was two different kinds of doctors, and he was so smart--”

She knew immediately. Her eyes darted a covert, sidelong glance to where he stood in the doorway, then locked on him, widening slightly.

How does she always know?

He couldn’t figure it out--it was like she had some internal radar, set only to him, that let her know whenever she was anywhere near him. Maybe that was how she kept showing up wherever he went.

“--that he won all kinds of awards--so many, they covered a whole wall in his old office. He even worked for the government. He…helped with…” Shippou suddenly realized that he didn’t have her complete attention anymore, and trailed to a halt, following her eyes to the doorway. Pale green eyes widened when he saw InuYasha, and he gave a tiny squeak.

The high-pitched noise finally allowed him to break away from the magnetic hold she had on him, and he sent a hard glance at the younger youkai. Shippou winced, but thankfully Kagome didn’t notice. She straightened from her comfortable slouch over the counter and offered a hesitant smile. “InuYasha. Did you want some hot chocolate? There’s plenty.” She nodded to the stove, where an actual pot sat half-filled with heated milk.

He hesitated, frowning at Shippou. “I just came to get my boots.”

She gave him another smile, this one much more cheerful. “Well, while you’re here, you might as well have something warm to drink, right?” Without waiting for an answer, she turned to the stove, already reaching for a cup.

Oh, hell no. Tell her no! He opened his mouth to tell her to forget it, but Shippou--damn that kid--was already talking.

“Yeah, InuYasha. You may as well stay--after all, you did help us beat Miroku…a little. Besides, Kagome makes really good hot chocolate, and it’s cold outside. Hot drinks always taste better in the cold.”

“A little?!” He glared at Shippou, protest forgotten. “What the hell do you mean, a little? I’m the one who got her his silver general!”

Shippou sniffed. “Maybe, but without me she never would have gotten the bishop that opened up the way for her to get to his king. My contribution was obviously more important than yours.”

“What?! She never would have gotten anywhere near his bishop without my help.” Somehow, he was across the room and leaning against the end of the counter before the words had finished slipping from his mouth.

Wait a minute…What the hell happened to getting my shoes and getting the hell out of here?

“Now, now.” He felt the heat of smooth glass press into his palm, and blinked down at the mug of hot chocolate that now rested between his hands. And her scent…her light, interesting, natural scent was right there, right under his nose. He looked up to find her returned to her lean against the counter, chin propped up on her palm this time so that she could look at them both. “It sounds like beating Miroku is a big enough accomplishment for both of you to have gotten together, don’t you think?”

While he stared dumbly at the smile flirting with her mouth, Shippou gave it some thought. “I guess so. But don’t forget yourself, Kagome. You played really well for your first time.”

He looked down at the steaming liquid in his mug. Dammit. Smells good, too.

Unexpectedly, some deep, secluded part of his brain stirred, reacting almost tauntingly to the thought. Which one--the drink…or the girl? The muscles in his jaw tightened, the back of his teeth grinding together as he fought both the flush and the charged, sultry heat that responded to the errant whisper in his mind.

The girl. Most definitely the girl.

He snorted. It had been more years than he could remember since the more instinct-driven part of his brain had had any significant influence over him. He didn’t know why it was choosing now to bug him, but he had no problem ignoring it. “She could use a few pointers, though. Her first move wasn’t so great.” For lack of anything better to do, he lifted his cup and took a gulp--then jerked away, coughing and cursing softly when the chocolate flavor seared into his tongue and down his throat.

Shippou sent him a solemn, slightly condescending look from the corner of his eyes. “You should be more careful, InuYasha.” A smirk was hidden deep in the tone of his voice. “The hot chocolate is hot.”

“I know that!” He scowled.

“Well, it was my first time, I think. I’ll just have to practice more, won’t I?” Kagome was looking down at her cup, slightly amused by his carelessness, slightly put out by his criticism. “If I play more, I’m bound to get better, right?”

“That’s a great idea,” Shippou cocked his head and took another sip. “InuYasha, you can be her partner, and I’ll be her coach. That way, we can teach her faster.” He nodded, looking extremely pleased with himself and his solution.

His eyes widened in alarm. “Who the hell said you could volunteer me?”

Shippou looked indignant. “You have to help. You were part of the victory. Besides, your strategy could use a little work.”

“Yeah, a little part.” He sneered sarcastically, paused, then frowned again. “And what the hell do you mean ‘a little work’ ?”

“You haven’t beaten Miroku in five years,” Shippou pointed out. “It wasn’t until all of us played together that we beat him. Of course you could use the practice.”

InuYasha’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “That’s sounds funny coming from a kid who won’t even touch any of the game’s pieces.”

He regretted the words almost before they left his mouth. If he’d given it even a fraction of thought beforehand, he never would have said them.

Shippou’s face fell, and his bangs falling to hide his eyes as he stared down into his cup. Shit. InuYasha frowned, feeling guilty, angry with himself for his thoughtlessness. The last thing he’d wanted to do was remind the kid. He knew how Shippou felt.

Kagome wasn’t happy about his comment, either. She surprised him by shooting him a reproving glare before turning her attention back to the smaller youkai. “It’s ok, Shippou. He doesn’t have to help. I’m sure we’ll do just fine on our own.”

Shippou looked up, opening his mouth to protest. Then he stopped. Darting another side look at InuYasha, he gave a casual nod. “I guess you’re right, Kagome. I can help you better than InuYasha can.” He shrugged. “Besides, Miroku would probably make a much better partner anyway.”

Clawed fingers tightened around his mug.

“I’m sure we can get him to help.”

Kagome smiled, happy to see Shippou emerged from his brief melancholy. “Miroku would make an excellent teacher.”

“I never said I wouldn’t help,” he snapped, irritated beyond what the conversation warranted.

Shippou beamed triumphantly, while Kagome just looked doubtful. “Really? You…don’t mind?”

“Keh.” He glared at Shippou, well aware that he’d just been goaded into doing something he didn’t want to do, yet completely unwilling to back out of it. “What I mind is not being asked.”

Kagome shared a quick grin with Shippou before she bowed her head respectfully. “I would be most grateful for any help you could give me.” She peeked up at him. “Please?”

InuYasha stared at them both, his grip threatening to crack the glass of his mug. Why the hell does it feel like I lost all control the second I stepped into this room? Correction. He’d felt out of control since the moment he’d plucked the woman across from him up out of a river in the middle of nowhere. He sighed. “Yeah, whatever.”

Fuck.

The kitsune and the woman shared another smile, then started discussing the best time to practice, while the hanyou tuned them out with a grimace and glanced at the doors leading outside. He was seriously debating walking out now, before things got even worse. He took another sip of his chocolate, this time with more caution.

“You seem awfully young to know so much, though, Shippou. You can’t have been playing for that long. You said your father taught you how to play, right?” Kagome sounded thoughtful. “And you came here with Kaede…. How long did you say you’ve lived at the Sachi?”

He almost choked again.

Shippou shrugged and produced a long, thin piece of string from somewhere on his body, and proceeded to twist it in intricate patterns around his fingers. “Five years. Same as everyone else.”

“Then…you must be older than I thought you were.”

Shippou paused to give her a very solemn, very adult look. “I’m a youkai, Kagome. I’m older than I look.” The look dropped as abruptly as it had appeared, and he resumed his play with the string. “Probably by only by a few years, though. I really am still a kid.”

“Oh.” She took a moment to absorb that statement. InuYasha was positive she was going to ask how old the kitsune really was, so her next question was a complete surprise. “So that means…you all came here at the same time?”

Not to mention an aggravation.

Shippou didn’t even blink. “Yep. We came here together, we opened the Sachi together, and we’ve all been running it ever since.”

He set his mug down with a little too much force, and it gave a sharp thwack, drawing both of their attention. He scowled. Shippou’s eyes widened…then rolled in exasperation. He gave him his ‘I’m not stupid, you know’ look, and InuYasha’s eyes narrowed in a silent challenge of ‘Oh, yeah?’ Shippou stuck out his tongue, and InuYasha seriously considered giving him another thump just for the disrespect.

Kagome didn’t notice. She was too busy staring hard at her mug. “Together? But…I thought you didn’t know each other until after you came to the Sachi.”

It was InuYasha’s turn to roll his eyes. Shippou’s look turned sheepish, and he opened his mouth to answer, but InuYasha cut him off, still frowning. “No, Shippou didn’t know us--Miroku asked Kaede to come with us when we came out here. We needed someone to clean, and Kaede…. She needed something to do.” His mouth gave a disgruntled little quirk. “The runt was just part of the deal.”

“Oh.” Unexpectedly, she smiled. “I think you got a good deal, then.”

Her smile distracted him, and he blinked over her phrasing. “Good deal?” He repeated. The words felt odd coming out of his mouth. They weren’t exactly ones he’d used before--at least, not in reference to his current situation.

Shippou’s eyebrows rose and he echoed the hanyou. “Good deal?”

Her smile became a full-fledged grin. “Of course. Without Shippou, it would get boring fast around here. Because he’s here, things are fun and exciting--and he’s very popular with the guests.”

InuYasha just stared at her, while Shippou perked up, eyes wide. “Really?”

She nodded. “Really. How many other people normally get to see kitsune magic tricks every day?”

It took a moment of thought, but eventually, Shippou’s wide-eyed expression transformed into a slow, blooming smile. “Not very many, huh?” The kid didn’t even bother to gloat--he just beamed happily and sat a little straighter. “And the customers do really like me, don’t they?” He resumed sipping on his hot chocolate, contemplating his thoughts quietly.

Golden eyes blinked in astonishment, then turned to regard the woman off to his right. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen Shippou smile like that. She’d only been here for a little under three weeks--and one of those she’d been unconscious. Just a few simple words from her, and suddenly all was well with the world? When did she and Shippou get so close?

She noticed his scrutiny, and her cheeks flushed a bit as she looked down at her mug, half-filled with hot chocolate that was now only lukewarm. He wished she would just finish it. She’d done nothing but fiddle with it distractedly ever since he’d entered the kitchen. It was almost as if she couldn’t drink it while he was there. For some reason, the thought bothered him.

It wasn’t like he didn’t know he made her nervous. The anxiety in her scent--the subtle spike of adrenaline that sharpened it whenever he got anywhere near her--was impossible for him to miss. And that bothered him too.

Of course, not all of that anxiety was the bad kind….

His jaw clenched. “Your drink’s cold.”

She looked up at him, startled, then down again. “Oh, it’s….” The glass rolled between her palms, and she sighed. “Yes, it is.” Her eyes returned to his, and she tilted her head with a faint smile. “It’s ok. I’m not really thirsty anyway. It was more about holding something hot--in case you haven’t noticed, it’s cold around here.” The smile turned teasing. “But then, you’re not really bothered by the cold, are you?”

He eyed the smile warily before lifting his mug to his mouth, and dropping his gaze, focusing on the smooth white of the counter instead of her. “Youkai bodies are tougher than human ones. For you, the cold is a problem…for me, it’s just there.” He hesitated, then shrugged. “But even I feel the cold when it’s bad--especially in Hokkaido. We have the harshest winters in Japan.”

Gray eyes widened slightly. “Sounds serious. Is there anything special we have to do to get ready?”

Moderately surprised at her concern, he just shook his head. “We’re fine. The Sachi is pretty well-insulated for something that was built so long ago. We have a heating system and a generator, we keep the fires burning, and everyone dresses warm.” He paused, eyeing the oversized button-down shirt, jeans, and thin cotton socks that she’d been wearing all night. No real layers to speak of…. Come to think of it, that had been her basic outfit for the past few weeks. “You have more clothes than that, right?”

“Oh…umm…well….some.” She blushed. “When we went into Sounkyo, Kaede helped me pick out a few things, but there was a lot she wanted me to get, and…. Well, it wasn’t my money, so….”

“You didn’t get everything she told you to, did you?” Golden eyes passed over her again, lingering, just briefly, on the material-softened, rounded swell of her chest before abruptly jerking back up to her face. Black eyebrows twisted in an annoyed quirk. “Shit. You’re going to need warmer clothes. You at least had enough sense to get a jacket, right?”

“Yes.” Her blush hadn’t subsided--had, in fact, only deepened with his obvious perusal of her body. “And boots for outside in the snow. I just…” Her shoulders straightened a little, slightly defensive. “I thought I could do without some of the more--”

“Never mind,” he interrupted, with the dual purpose of sparing them both an awkward explanation and apology, and forcing his own attention away from her. “We’ll go back into Sounkyo in a few days.” He frowned. “Just make sure you get everything Kaede tells you to get, ok? Don’t worry about money. Keeping everyone warm in the cold is more important than a little cash.”

She nodded, color still warmly flushed. For a few moments, the kitchen was quiet.

He would have enjoyed it, too--if it weren’t for the way she kept glancing at him from the corner of her eyes. She was studying him obliquely, her expression intent, questioning…slightly troubled.

Now she was making him nervous, and he didn’t like that at all. A growl welled and hovered somewhere within his chest, but he managed to keep it in check--only barely. He fidgeted, a fine tension spreading through the muscles of his body, putting him on edge. “You got a problem?”

His irritated demand startled her, and he caught a quick reactionary flash in her gaze. “I…” She hesitated, then looked away. “No. Sorry.” Her voice was flat, her brows tensed--just short of a frown.

The flicker of vexation sparked a reluctant interest. That temper of hers again. Except for that damn splinter incident, her attitude around him always seemed to carry an undercurrent of uncertainty, and a rather irksome shield of politeness. That changed when she was angry. She acted different, looked different--less cautious and more natural, more intriguing. It was like she forgot that they were strangers.

Not that he wanted her to be more familiar with him…. But he didn’t like the thought of her being afraid of him, either. It was damned annoying when they lived in the same fucking house.

Abruptly, she sighed, then moved away from the counter, heading over to the sink. He kept his eyes fixed on his mug, but his ears twisted to follow her movement across the kitchen.

“Ah!”

At her tiny gasp, he looked up, tensing, half-expecting to see that she’d somehow hurt herself again. But she was just standing in front of the sink, transfixed, the hand holding her mug suspended in the air over the drain.

He considered her suspiciously. What now? She didn’t look hurt. Her back was to him, so he couldn’t see her face, but it looked to him like she was staring out the window.

“Outside--it’s…” She whirled, and was suddenly dashing forward, socks slipping on the polished wood of the floor, mug still in hand. “It’s snowing!” She rounded the counter--and him--her face alive with pleasure and excitement; almost before he knew what she was doing, she’d reached the sliding doors leading outside and thrown them wide open. He stared in surprise as the freezing air rushed in on a breeze, overwhelming whatever warmth that had been lingering in the kitchen.

“Oh…” She breathed out the word, and a faint cloud passed from between her lips, hanging suspended for a moment before dispersing. “Look….”

“Snow?” Shippou perked up as he darted after her, crossing the room in a series of quick jumps before landing on her shoulder. The two of them stilled, remaining unmoving in the doorway as they looked with awe out into the darkness beyond.

Shippou’s head tilted as he leaned forward to peer more carefully around Kagome’s neck and shoulder. “Ooooh. You found the first snow of the season, Kagome.”

InuYasha gave a slight roll of his eyes at the comment. With a quiet, exasperated sigh, he wrapped his hands around the remaining warmth of his mug and followed reluctantly--even though his nose had confirmed her words the moment she’d opened the doors. He stopped at the now open section of wall, leaning his shoulder against the edge opposite Kagome and Shippou as he turned his gaze in the direction that had them so enraptured.

Sure enough, just beyond the slope of the overhanging porch, bits of white were drifting through the air in silent, gradual descent. It hadn’t been snowing for very long, and the tiny flakes had only just started to dust the ground. The pale light, spilling from the kitchen behind them, spread out into the shadows, highlighting the way the coat of white served to soften the rocky grass and trees of the surrounding landscape.

By morning everything would be covered in a fine, powdery white.

He stared unblinkingly, a slight frown marring his brows. The first snow of the season. Always the same. Always so sudden. One day, you were surrounded by the endless evergreen of the forests and mountains--and the next it was all gone, hidden away beneath a blanket of pale, frozen ice. He’d watched it every year for five years, and he still wasn’t quite sure how to feel about it. It reminded him a little too much of things he wanted to forget.

Still, it was a good thing. After all, snow was big business in Sounkyo. It brought in the sports enthusiasts to ski, and the tourists for the ice festival. First snow was a highly anticipated and welcomed event in town. He’d seen it far too many times to count, and heard far more arguments over it than he’d ever wanted to be a part of.

Speaking of arguments….

The smallest corner of his mouth turned up in a grudging smile at the thought that occurred to him. “Heh. I guess baba was right after all.”

He said it mostly to himself, but Kagome caught the murmured words. Her head tilted as her attention went to him, her glance questioning. For a breath of time, their eyes connected and held across the open space of the doorway.

His shoulder lifted in a careless shrug. “She and the monk had a bet going on whether it would snow before the end of the week or not.” He smirked, reluctant to drop her gaze. “Miroku just lost.” Her response was a gentle smile of amusement, and for another heartbeat, peace reigned across the porch.

Shippou squealed, anticipation gleaming on his face. “Hey! If it snows enough, I can take you out sledding tomorrow, Kagome.”

InuYasha cast a critical gaze over the clouds in the sky. “No way. There won’t be enough snow tonight.” His eyes drifted back across the small distance. “Besides, she doesn’t have the clothes to play out in the snow, remember? We sure as hell don’t want her getting sick after she just recovered.”

“Oh.” The little kit’s excitement subsided, before abruptly brightening. “That’s ok. By the time we get the heavy snow, you’ll be all set. InuYasha said we’d go back into town soon--and next time he won’t let you come back without everything you need.” He turned back to the frozen scenery just beyond the door, his chest swelling with importance. “I know all the fun places to play in the snow. Just wait until we get a good storm--then I’ll show you.”

InuYasha glanced at the falling snow with a quiet snort. “Yeah, if you can get away from Kaede long enough to play.”

Apparently, Shippou hadn’t included his impending punishment in his plans, and his expression fell again with dismay. Kagome sent Inuyasha a quelling frown that he pretended to ignore, then smiled reassuringly at the child on her shoulder. “It’s ok, Shippou. I’m sure Kaede won’t mind if you’re just showing me your favorite spots.”

Shippou nodded, then shivered. “Brr. It’s starting to get cold in here.” He glanced over his shoulder to where his empty cup sat abandoned on the counter, then down at Kagome. “Hey, Kagome. Can I have some more hot chocolate?”

She blinked up at him. “Don’t you think it’s getting late? You should be getting to bed.”

His eyes went large and begging. “Please? Just a little more, then I’ll go to bed. I promise.”

“Well…” Gray eyes focused across the porch once more, inquiringly. He blinked back, realizing he was staring--again. Gritting his teeth, he forced his gaze back out the door, refusing to acknowledge her. His ears gave a brief, involuntary flick at the soft sound of her sigh. “Only a little more.” She shifted to move away from the door, but it was Shippou’s lighter weight that thumped to the floor as he jumped off her shoulder.

“Don’t worry, Kagome. I can get it myself.”

He was still staring outside, so he couldn’t see her, but her answering smile was plain in her voice. “All right. Be careful.”

InuYasha scowled, wondering if it was a good idea to let the smaller youkai handle anything near the stove. He glanced over his shoulder, watching Shippou hop up onto the countertop and grab at the still warm pot of milk, reassuring himself that the kid wouldn’t burn down the kitchen, too.

The muted shuffle of cloth on wood directly behind him startled him. His head whipped back around just in time to move away from the door, out of the way of her hand as she grasped hold of it and slid both shut, cutting off the freezing outdoor current that had been filtering inside. Then, running her hands along her sleeves with a little shiver of her own, she turned to face him.

He stared back, wary of the fact that she was now standing only a few feet away, regarding him with a mixture of curiosity and hesitation. His nostrils flared gently as her scent invaded his personal space, and he blinked, disconcerted by the instant churning tension in his gut.

She offered him another smile. “Would you like some?”

He couldn’t for the life of him figure out what she was talking about, and his scowl only deepened with his confusion. “What?”

She rolled her eyes. “Hot chocolate,” she clarified, pointing at the empty mug in his hands. She reached out. “Since Shippou’s getting more, I thought you--”

She was going to touch him. He could swear his heart actually stopped beating. Panicked, he jerked his hand away from her fingers, at the same time stepping back to put some room between them. “No!” He practically growled it at her, completely unnerved by his reaction. “And don’t stand so fucking close!”

Kagome snatched her hand back, and for a moment she froze, staring at him in surprise. Her cheeks flared a brilliant red--caused by either indignation or embarrassment, he couldn’t tell which--and she threw up her hands. “Sorry! You don’t have to yell, you know! It’s not like I was going to make you take any!”

“Hah!” Irritated at his overreaction, he took his embarrassment out on her. “As if you could! And I didn’t want any in the first place!”

Kagome’s eyes darkened as her mouth shut with an audible snap of her teeth. The look she gave him warned him she was just about out of patience. “If you didn’t want any, all you had to do was say so!” Her hands settled on her hips, and her foot gave a frustrated thump. “Do you always have to be so rude about everything? Would it kill you to be just a little considerate sometimes?”

“It’s just the way I am!” She was glaring at him. She was angry. And from the aggravation lighting her expression, she was ready to fight…

And just like that, something deep inside of him loosened, and he relaxed. “Fucking get used to it.”

She was going to lose it. InuYasha watched the struggle with her temper play in fascinating detail across her features. He fought down a wayward smirk. Finally, here was safe territory… This he was familiar with. This he could deal with. His back straightened, and another part of him--a different part, one he hadn’t felt for a while--flared to life, a subtle hint of adrenaline pushing a heady rush through his veins.

“You….you’re a real jerk, you know that? I was just trying to be nice.”

Her voice had definitely risen in volume, and a small part of him took note with a twinge of satisfaction even as he took exception to the remark. “Jerk?! It’s not my fault you have to have everything spelled out for you! And what you were being was a pain.”

“A pain!” Damn, she really was pissed now--stormy eyes widened and swirling with emotion, face alive, chest heaving with the effort to keep control. “You’re one to talk! With the way you treat people, it’s a wonder you don’t chase away your guests the second you meet them!”

“Keh!” He crossed his arms, scowl firmly fixed in place. “Like I care about the guests. If I had my way, I’d never even have to see them!”

He swore he could hear her teeth grind. “If you don’t care about the guests, then why run an inn?!”

“Tch.” The muscles around his mouth tightened and he gave an involuntary half-sneer. “It’s not as if I had--” He froze. His brain caught up to his mouth, and the words stuck in his throat as he realized what he was about to say.

Idiot! Suppressing a wince, he snapped his mouth shut and glanced away, his jaw clenching tight to cut off any other stupidity that might try to come out without his permission. If he could have kicked his own ass without looking ridiculously stupid, he would have. Had he forgotten his reason for being in here in the first place?

He stilled, his eyes flying back to hers in utter bemusement.

He had. He couldn’t believe it. He’d forgotten. For just a moment, for just a breath…he’d completely forgotten.

Shit.

Kagome’s frown had taken on a dubious cast as she glared at him, her expression a curious mixture of frustration and suspicion, her anger beginning to waver at his hesitation. “InuYasha?”

He dropped his gaze, forced it away from her and glowered at the floor. He’d been in here to make sure the kid was good…and here he was the one who almost said something he shouldn’t have. Just what the fuck was going on? He couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt so…off balance….

Wait. Yes he could. And it hadn’t been any more pleasant then than it was now. His fingers tightened around his mug, and he came this close to shattering the sturdy glass.

“Are you…All right?”

At the sound of her voice--closer now--he looked up. She’d taken a few steps forward, and stood only about an arm’s length away from him. He transferred the glare to her, hoping that she wouldn’t come any closer. It was bad enough that he had to deal with her scent being so near. Breathing out, he forced himself to focus, allowing some of the adrenaline--and the tension it generated--to drain away before he responded. “It was already one.”

She blinked, slim brows rising in confusion. “What?”

“The Sachi.” He turned, heading for the appliance half of the kitchen. “It was already an inn when we got here. We took over right in the middle of a festival. There were a lot of guests that we couldn’t cancel, so….” He shrugged, setting the cold glass of his mug on the smooth countertop cutting the kitchen in half. “We just stepped in and kept going. We didn’t have a choice.”

“Oh.” Almost absently, she followed him. “Didn’t you ever try to change it?”

Golden eyes blinked, the twist of his brows giving him a harassed look. “Why bother? It works. People know the Sachi; they come for the location and the legend. It’s been like that for a long time. It’d be stupid to try to change it now.”

A thoughtful, hesitant frown had her gazing at the countertop instead of him. Her fingers rubbed at its smooth surface for a moment. “But then…doesn’t that mean that you do enjoy it--at least a little? Especially something like this.”

Now he was just confused. “What do you mean?”

“Well, it seems to me that an inn is something you can only do if you enjoy doing it--you know, dealing with people,” she gave a tiny roll of her eyes, “maintaining the inn, stocking the appropriate supplies. Almost all of your time and energy goes into making sure everything is working right. We all have to work hard to make sure the Sachi runs properly, and that the guests are comfortable and happy.” She paused, then lifted her eyes to meet his. “I really don’t think it would work if everyone didn’t enjoy it at least a little.” A faint, gentle smile lifted the corners of her lips. “Even you.”

She’d surprised him again--and again, all he could do was stare at her, at a momentary loss.

She didn’t say anything else, just continued to stare at him with that tiny, knowing smile of hers. Eventually, he just relented, his features softening almost unconsciously as he gave a rueful shake of his head, his tone grudging. “Yeah, well…maybe.”

She rewarded him--and that’s what it felt like, a reward--with a bigger smile, then her fingers reached out across the counter. He watched them curl around rim of the cup in his hand, and felt as she tugged gently. He frowned and tugged back. “Hey.”

She rolled her eyes and gave another tug. “You’re finished with it. Let me clean it so I can get some sleep.”

He gave a snort and pulled the mug out of her grasp and held it up out of her reach. “Who says you have to clean everything before you go to bed? I’ll do it.”

“But--” He gave her a narrow look, and she shut her mouth. The expression on her face, and the blush that accompanied it, told him that she, too, was remembering the last time they’d stood in the kitchen like this.

She pursed her lips and dropped her gaze to the floor. “Fine. Then I’m going to bed.” She started to push away from the counter, but hesitated and looked up. Her lips parted again, and she started to say something else, but seemed to change her mind at the last second. Instead, she gave him another gentle smile and a soft “goodnight” before turning away from the counter and heading for the door.

He had no idea how it happened. He didn’t see what she tripped over, didn’t catch whatever it was that snagged at her sock-encased feet. But he did catch the surprised gasp as it escaped her lips, and he did catch the slight look of panic that crossed her features as they slipped out from under her and she started to fall.

And then, for some reason…he caught her.

It wasn’t much. Just his fingers grasping around her elbow. Just her arm winding around his forearm. Just enough to steady her.

Nor did it last very long. It was just enough time for her to realize that she hadn’t hit the ground, and scramble to get her feet under her again. Then she pulled away from him, embarrassment filling her face with color.

But…for a few scant moments…it had been pure electricity. The place where her hand had gripped at his bare forearm--why the hell had he pulled his sleeves up in the first place anyway?--burned, sinking in to absorb into his bloodstream. A heated charge spread underneath his skin as his heart gave a solid jolt and his blood went rushing to places it shouldn’t go.

He fought himself. He had to force his fingers to release her arm, when what they really wanted to do was tighten, to give in to the odd temptation to yank her forward…to feel the full impact of her body against his. His nose gave a slight, involuntary twitch, clinging to her scent even as he dropped his arm back to his side and stepped back to put more distance between them.

And when they finally stood apart, the atmosphere, heavy with expectation, draped over them like a warm cloak, momentarily impeding both breath and sound. He saw her bite her lip, then open her mouth to offer an apology, and abruptly cut her off before she could. “Idiot.”

He paused, then frowned. What the fuck? He had meant to sound harsh, not like…whatever the hell had just come out of his mouth. Not…soft. Not gentle. Irritated, not tolerant. A glance at her wide eyes told him that she’d noticed it, too. Red-faced, he looked away and swallowed in an attempt to regain his regular brusqueness. “Maybe that’ll teach you. Wear slippers next time.”

He heard her hesitate, heard her sigh, then sensed her nod. “Yes. Thank you.” He blinked, his ears twitching on his head. Her voice was even softer than his had been. Another hesitation. He kept his gaze determinedly glued to his mug--which had somehow made it onto the counter in front of him. Then another “goodnight”, followed by the soft thud of her feet as she left the kitchen.

It wasn’t until he was absolutely sure she was gone that he let his hand fist around the feel of her skin. The heat was back--the subtle, throbbing hum in his veins that was ready to flare out of control. If he relented, if he let it prod him into action, he would give in to the temptation to follow her, to coax her into more than a simple touch. The indications were there. She was interested in him, drawn to him even. It wouldn’t take much.

If he gave into it. If he allowed it blossom.

A growl rumbled deep in his chest. Dammit! It was a warning. A warning that he was about to step into territory where he didn’t want to go. Kami knew he didn’t ever want to go there again. Not ever.

His mouth curled into a sneer and he shook his head. The whole situation was fucking ridiculous. She was just a simple human. She shouldn’t be able to effect such havoc on his peace of mind. He was supposed to be over that kind of pure idiocy.

He didn’t even want to think about his disgraceful behavior in the kitchen tonight. If Miroku had seen any of that… He shook his head again and turned on his heel, muttering a few choice swear words as he headed for his room.

It couldn’t continue. She wasn’t going to go away anytime soon, and he’d proven that he couldn’t ignore her. If he couldn’t ignore her, then godsdammit, he would learn how to deal with her. He could find a way to be around her without damaging his sanity. Maybe…. Maybe he could inure himself to her presence if he just exposed himself enough.

Besides, he was tired of eating all his meals cold.

And Miroku was right. She was a good cook.

****************************************************************** ****

In the silence of the kitchen, nothing stirred for the longest time after the Sachi’s owner and newest employee had exited so abruptly. The two empty mugs sat abandoned--and still dirty--at their spots on the counter. The stove remained on, still heated just enough to warm the small pot that remained on one of the ranges. And one tiny, wide-eyed kitsune sat stock-still on his fluffy tail next to the stove, his own mug still half-full.

Green eyes stared at the door, at once both disbelieving and thoughtful. “They forgot me.” The young voice sounded both shocked and awed. “They actually forgot about me.”

The young features morphed into a childish sulk. “That dumb InuYasha--it’s all his fault. He made Kagome forget about me.” Then, the sulk cleared, and the pondering look returned--this time accompanied by a hint of speculation.

Outside, a faint scraping could be heard. The doors were once again thrown open, and Miroku stepped inside--shoes in one hand, the other still brushing at the snow in his hair. His expression was not pleased as he turned to pull the doors shut, mumbling to himself. “It’s already later than normal in the season. It couldn’t possibly have waited another day?”

He sighed, then started to head out into the hallway, only to stop short in surprise when he spotted Shippou sitting all alone….next to the stove. Which just happened to be open. Warily, he glanced around the kitchen again, half-expecting this to be some kind of trick.

When nothing appeared out of place, he turned his attention back to the counter. Shippou hadn’t even looked up from his deep reflection of the liquid in his mug. Slightly confused, Miroku approached the counter from the opposite side. “Shippou? Don’t you think it’s time for you to be in bed?”

Shippou made a non-committal sound. “I promised Kagome I would go to bed as soon as I was finished with my hot chocolate.”

Miroku eyed the boy for a moment. “Uh-huh. And where is our lovely new housekeeper?” He spotted InuYasha’s abandoned mug and picked it up, taking the opportunity to be completely unsanitary by replacing it with his shoes.

Shippou frowned in response. “She already went to bed.” His head gave a little tip. “So did InuYasha.”

Miroku, half-way around the counter on his way to the sink, froze. “Pardon?”

Finally, Shippou looked up. “InuYasha and Kagome already went to bed. They left me in here all by myself. I think they forgot I was here.”

Violet eyes widened. “Ahhhh…” Miroku didn’t seem to know what to make of that statement. “InuYasha and Kagome went to bed? At the, uh, same time?”

Shippou’ brows twisted, giving him a perplexed look, then he shook his head. “Nu-uh. Kagome went first.”

Miroku took this as good news and relaxed. “So InuYasha decided to stop in here after all?” Shaking himself, he started moving again.

Shippou watched him reach the stove and close off the burner before he removed the remainder of the pot of milk, and headed for the sink. “Yep. He said he came here for his boots, but…I don’t think so.” Pale green eyes rolled in exasperation. “He doesn’t trust me.”

Miroku sighed and turned on the water. “InuYasha doesn’t really trust anyone, Shippou.” He paused, rinsing out a mug, then spoke again, his even tones flowing with pointed reprimand. “And neither should you.”

Shippou gave the older man a decidedly InuYasha-like scowl. “But Kagome lives here.”

“Yes, she does. For now.” The response seemed to give the youkai pause, and for a moment he watched Miroku rinse out the dishes. Miroku glanced at him, around the kitchen once more, then sighed again. “Wait a moment, and I’ll walk you out to the cabin, ok?”

The orange head bobbed obligingly, then stilled as his expression once again grew thoughtful. “Hey, Miroku?”

“Hmmm?”

“Can’t we just keep Kagome?”

Miroku froze again. Then, without a word, he reached out, shut off the water, and picked up a dishtowel to dry. Shippou waited patiently.

It was only after he’d gotten everything put away that Miroku turned to face him, his expression serious. “I think that’s probably up to Kagome more than anyone else, Shippou.”

“Oh.” He thought hard for a minute. “But if she wants to, she can stay, right? She can stay and be part of the Sachi?”

Miroku’s brow furrowed, and he gave a vague shrug. “Maybe.” He grabbed the kit by his tail, and headed around counter, snagging his shoes as he went by. “Come on. It’s late even for me. You must be tired--and you’re working with Kaede starting tomorrow morning.”

They reached the porch, and Shippou watched Miroku slip into his shoes. “But we can keep Kagome if InuYasha wants her, right?”

Once again, Miroku paused. This time he chuckled. “Now there’s an interesting question.” He straightened, considering while Shippou hopped up onto his shoulder. Then he laughed again. “Well, I suppose if InuYasha decides that he wants to keep her, then maybe….”

Shippou was already nodding his head. “Yeah. I thought so.”

The Sachi’s manager eyed its youngest staff member suspiciously as they started down the steps. “Why, exactly, do you ask, Shippou?”

Shippou blinked back at him, the wide innocence in his eyes not quite enough to hide the sly glint beneath it. “Because I’m going to keep Kagome, of course.”

Miroku’s expression went from suspicious to uneasy, though it was almost impossible to tell as they were enveloped in the darkness of the path that led out to Kaede’s old cabin. “You sound like you think it’ll be easy.”

Shippou yawned, finally betraying his tiredness; but when he answered, his voice was filled with the simple confidence of youth. “It will be.”

 

*************************************************** *******************

A/N: Umm…. *waves shyly* Hello, everyone. See? I do live…sort of…maybe.

Blah. I feel terrible that this took so long. I really wanted to get it done and posted a long time ago--I originally intended that the two chapters only be a few days apart--but life has been very harsh of late, and depression doesn’t really help one write. (I am here to testify: writer’s block really does exist! And if it actually took a physical form, I would cheerfully hunt it down, maim it, shoot it, slice it, and torture it. Then I would kill it.)

Also, I actually had it written not long after I posted that last chapter, but the kitchen scene seemed all wrong to me, so I didn’t feel I could post it. I ended up scrapping and re-writing the entire scene--not once, but TWICE. I think this one came out the best of the three. (ah, and thanks to blackberry and barachan22 for their post-posting input)

*sigh* Please tell me if anything seems off. This is one of those things that you stare at for too long, and it could be better or worse than you think it is.

And as always, already plodding away on the next chapter.

Cheers and blessings,

~Quill