InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Same Thing, Different Time ❯ Saturday Night ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Same as any of the other chapters. Don't own any part. Not looking to gain anything.

Read below, after story for notes and such

Please Read and Review, but also use Email Author link too to write review. MM seems not to allow me to view any of my reviews, and I WOULD like to know what comments are made. Thanks.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -

Same Thing, Different Time

by: aishiteru_inu

Part 13: Saturday Night

InuYasha was nearly fit to be tied as he lounged on the limb of the sakura tree that he had been in earlier that morning. One leg was bent with his foot resting on the limb, while the other dangled limply over the side. The trunk of the tree supported the slumped posture of his shoulders more so than the back itself, and his arms were, as usual, crossed in front of his chest. He had long ago tired of playing and investigating one of the new items that he took from her room earlier, and now there wasn't much else to do except wait.

A low agitated rumble was issued out from deep within his throat. Very much longer and he would have to go track the little wench down!

That was about the hundredth time that thought had came to his mind over the past several hours and each time he found himself waiting just a bit longer. The urge was strong to go seek her out, but his denial of her and the unwillingness to leave the necklace unguarded kept him from doing that. So instead remained as he was staring fixedly at the archway of the gate through the foliage.

His ears flicked and listened to each and every footstep that came within audible range over the time that passed, and each time it made him just that much more bothered when he recognized that it wasn't hers.

The day's sun melted down in the distance leaving only the pre-fading light left. Through the branches and leaves, InuYasha watched as the horizon darkened, slowly making it's way across to eventually envelop the entire sky. Even the crickets started their evening serenade, just as the lights from the city below and beyond his lofty perch began to sparkle. The lantern lights of the shrine's courtyard had also began their muted glow.

The cooling of the evening air crept over him, but he wasn't going to budge until that stupid, raven haired girl returned! Oh…yeah…he forgot to mention ugly too!

Just who did that simple, 'ungraceful' human think she was anyway; going off like that and leaving the necklace behind somewhere? Somewhere that any demon could come across and snatch it away -- any demon, that is, except him! It irritated him even more to think how she must of enjoyed it, laughing at him as she fixed it on purpose so that he wouldn't be able to locate the damn thing! It wasn't even like she used any spells or charms to do it either!

In a surge of annoyance, InuYasha changed his position on the limb so that he was lying on his back. The leg that had been dangling over the side before now was placed on the limb with the knee bent upward while other knee was pointed off to the side. He put his hands behind his head and stared up at the further darkening sky between the leaves and branches of the tree.

The compiling emotions that had been mounting for quite a while now, overflowed and he snarled, "Bitch!"

Right, wrong, her fault or not, he blamed her as the reason that he came up empty handed in his search -- empty handed pertaining to the necklace at least, and for being clever enough to scent her room like she did, erasing all of her tracks. He blamed her for making him waste the day waiting for her. He blamed her for being somewhere he didn't know. He blamed her for this urge he had to seek her out, and he most definitely blamed her for thinking his ears were kawaii…!

His ears kawaii! How could she ever think his ears were kawaii? They were the one thing that 'stood' out more than anything else. They were one of the first noticeable things that made him so abnormal among the humans. Even his claws ranked a second to them. And, to the demon side……well, his ears were the evidence of his cross-breeding and lessened him in their eyes. But this girl, she thought they were something to be admired -- even played with! Stupid baka, doesn't know any better!

Heaving another frustrated breath, he wondered what was taking her so long to return when, as if in answer, images of what happened to her a couple of days ago started filtering into his thoughts. It would serve her right after all the inconveniences she had caused him in just a short time of a week! Anyway, she didn't have the necklace, and if something did happen then what did it really matter to him? It was only the jewel in the necklace that needed to be protected. Besides, if something did happen, then all it would do would be to make finding that little item just a bit more difficult…or maybe a bit easier since she wouldn't have the control of his collar anymore. Yeah, that would be good.

No sooner did he think that thought did his body lurch upward, only to twist around and land with his feet balanced on the limb itself while his hands wrapped around the sides of it. A pair of familiar chocolate eyes had appeared before him just as that last thought came to mind. The same eyes that had looked up at him that day he had rescued her from those gang members.

Dammit! Where was she at? Why didn't she give any consideration to that when she left this morning? What if something had already happened and he wasn't even aware of it? It could already be too late.

Despite the intention of going and tracking her down, he argued with himself, refusing to budge any further. No! She isn't what matters!'

The tread of footsteps so light no human could have been able to detect the resonance as far away as they were, but he did; then again he wasn't really human either. The sound tickled his ears, which caused them to twitch faintly and they tuned more sharply into the rhythm of each step. He needn't have bothered to have been so acutely attuned for his other senses quickly confirmed that it was her. The faint smell of sakura blossoms and honey caught his attention.

There was another scent he caught around her also, but it didn't pose a threat. It had a sharp, tangy smell and his stomach reacted to that fragrance with it's own growl.

"Feh," he quietly complained, striking his midsection as if to make it stop.

Her footsteps grew louder until finally she appeared, coming up the steps, carrying some blue bags in one hand and a white one in the other.

Stealthily, InuYasha perched like predator toward prey, waiting for her to draw nearer……waiting until she was safely away from the danger of the steps so that there wouldn't be a repeat of what happened that morning. He watched her intently, his sharp gaze taking in her features -- including the smooth and jagged necklace that she wore around her neck!

Pushing himself back to support his entire weight upon his crouched legs, his eyes widened as he stared at her, his mouth dropping open for a brief moment before clamping tightly shut, gritting his teeth together and issued a very low snarl.

Dammit! She had had it with her the entire time and had let him believe that she had left it there! Stupid, stupid girl! Baka! Baka for going off like that without him there to watch out for her…or rather 'it'! Did she want to get herself killed?

He continued to watch as she moved - unknowingly - toward him with a light spring in her step and obviously unaware of anything else around her.

Just as she was passing by, InuYasha jumped from the limb that he had occupied nearly the entire day.

"Took your damn time coming back home, didn't you?"

Kagome let out a small yelp at the unexpected voice, not having considered that he would actually still be there when she got back, but then what else did she expect he would really do? She twisted around in the direction the sound came and there he was at the base of the tree, just as he had been that morning. His arms were crossed now and of course a scouring look was upon his face. He looked no different than the first time she ever saw him… except this time his feet were without the shoes.

"InuYasha, you scared me!" she accused hotly to cover her embarrassment. "Will you stop doing that?!" she said more as a demand rather than a request, and then lastly added, "What in the world are you doing here?"

In the mood he was in, he ignored her words and injected some of his own. "What in hells took you so long?"

"I told you I was going to the mall with my friends."

"And you make it a habit of staying out this late?"

"It's only 8:30." she retorted flatly in disbelief. "Have you been here all day?"

InuYasha gave a menacing growl and turned his head away as if in disgust, refusing to answer and silence was the only thing between them for a few moments. Then he said gruffly, "There's a lot of things out there that could happen to you. Or have you forgotten?"

What?! His words took her by surprise more than being surprised in itself. Where did that come from? Was that InuYasha saying that or did something take over his body?

"You…?" Dare she even say it? "You were concerned about me?"

"Hell, no!" He shot back, turning his blazing gold eyes upon her, his temper making him reckless with his tongue. "As if I care about some ridiculous, repulsive girl like you! I 'knew' you had the necklace! I just want to be sure that it's safe! Who in the world would care if you are?"

He couldn't mistake the hurt expression that came across her face even in the subtle radiance of the lamp lights. He couldn't have injured her more if he had slapped her across the face -- in fact, by the way she looked, it was as if he had done just that. After all, this was what he had wanted to do just a short time ago,…wasn't it?

He watched as her gaze fell from his and then she turned away to continue on toward her home without saying another word. His sensitive ears picking up the heavier tread of her footsteps.

"Kagome," he called out, but her name only tumbled forth in his head not from his mouth.

She had moved the reminder of the distance of the courtyard and had even climbed a couple of the steps, -- which lead to the upper landing where her home sat upon, -- when he noticed that she stopped, pausing for a moment as if wondering what she was going to do.

He saw her glance over her shoulder at him. The pained look still evident in her eyes. Uh-oh, big trouble! He had forgotten about the necklace that 'he' had around 'his' neck!

"Have you eaten, InuYasha?" she asked quietly.

Whaaa…? His eyes widened a bit and his lips parted, thankful that she was far enough away that only he heard the sharp intake of breath he took. He was completely taken aback. After what he just said to her? She was asking 'him' if he had eaten? 'She' was concerned whether he had or not?

Where he stood, she could not see the almost boyish expression of regret on his face, or the bent tips of his ears. "No." came his own quiet reply.

She turned her face away and stood there a few moments, thinking, again about what she should really do.

She stood there long enough for InuYasha to wonder if she was just playing a trick, but then she moved, slightly at first. He didn't realize that he had been holding his breath, as he watched what she was going to do, until he saw her turn around and start to walk back toward him. She fumbled with the bags at first, placing all of them in one hand, then started rummaging through the white one that she carried. Her gaze remained downcast.

As she got within a couple of feet of him, she pulled out a pair of chopsticks and a small white, square-ish kind of box. Still, she would not raise her eyes to meet his.

She opened her mouth to tell him to sit, when her lashes swept upward as she caught herself in alarmed realization of what she nearly did. InuYasha also noticed that she had kept him from eating the ground, even knowing that he probably deserved it if she had.

As swiftly as she had glanced up at him, she looked back down at the box she held, giving him a faint smile as she held the boxed food out to him.

"I-If you don't mind, umm… eating after me. I-It's what was left over from what I had at dinner. It's -- It's really good, but… umm… there was just too much of it for me to eat it all myself. It might still be warm."

She returned her gaze back to his face.

How…? Why…? How could she be nice to him like that? He had just said something pretty mean to her and here she was offering him some food because she thought that he had gone without any all day!

Her generosity didn't sit well with him, and his brows started to knit together in a scowl; angry again. More at himself, but that wasn't going to stop him from taking it out on her! Yet the look in her eyes… as she stood there waiting for him to take what she offered…. The look that was there within them melted that course of his action, and he found himself reaching out and taking the box of food from her.

"Arigato," he said softly, glad that the night covered his shame and he settled himself down on the ground. The only evidence were his ears having a slight droop to them.

InuYasha opened the top of the container, the aroma of the food caused his stomach to growl, but he didn't care about that as he shoveled the first bites of food into his mouth.

She was right about one thing… it was good. He didn't even remember the last time that he had even eaten something that good.

So busy was he shoveling bite after bite into his mouth he had not taken notice that the girl had also settled upon the ground in front of him, her legs curled underneath. At least not until her fingers touched his hand, and he froze, shifting only his eyes from his food to her face. His mouth was partially open, stuffed full of food, and there was even a noodle that dangled down against his chin. She was smiling at him a little more fully now, and it lit up her whole face. Gods, she was pretty looking like that.

Kagome couldn't help the smile that spread across her lips at the expression that InuYasha had on his face, noodle and all.

"If you eat it a bit more slowly, you can enjoy it more." Her voice tickled his ears. She really had a pretty voice, softly and warm, especially when she talked softly like that.

"Feh," he growled, jerking away from her, and continued to eat his own way. Kagome retreated her hand, knowing that she over stepped herself.

"Umm… I still have most of my bottle of water if… you would like something to drink with that." She crinkled up her nose as she said, "If you don't mind sharing some more of my germs."

InuYasha glanced at her over top of the box, but didn't say anything; so she just went ahead and took it out of her pouch that she had, twisting off the top and setting it down near him. It wasn't long before he scooped it up and took a long swig of it, drinking nearly half of what there was, then wiped his mouth with the back of his arm before he sat it back down.

Kagome watched as he scarfed the food down; scraping every last piece out of the container. She wasn't sure, but she thought that while he had his face so crammed into the box that perhaps he had even licked the insides clean too. But she would never know because when he was finished with it, he squeeze it tightly, crushing it into a crumbled piece of trash. He wiped his face - including down his nose - again, and he dropped the crushed box on the ground to pick up the bottle water, finishing it off too.

Before he swallowed the last bit of it, Kagome voice filtered into his ears once again.

"InuYasha? Why is it that you want my necklace so much?"

A shock of surprise went through him even though he did not let on to her about it. Instead he swallowed what he had in his mouth, wiped his lips with the back of his hand just to prolong answering her, and then tossed the empty container down beside the crushed box he'd discarded moments ago.

"Baka!" he insulted her despite her kindness to him. "As if you can't figure that one out. It's so I can become a full demon."

Kagome was shocked at his answer, not understanding why anyone would want to become a demon at all. Demon's were mean and nasty and did terrible things -- at least that's most of them were from what she heard.

"Why?"

"You're a simpleton. If you haven't notice already, stupid, I'm only half."

Kagome was quiet as her gaze wondered over his features. She had never met a real demon before -- half or otherwise, so how would she know? Kaede hadn't mentioned to her why InuYasha wanted the jewel so badly, only not to allow him to have it.

Her expression was thoughtful, and then, because of his words, she said offhandedly, "So you want to be even more unpleasant and rude."

Whatever he expected to hear her say, that wasn't it, and it loosened his tongue once again in defense.

"If you would just give it to me, then you wouldn't have to put up with me any longer." Then, not able to stop himself, he added spitefully, "I know that I can't stand having to be around you anymore than I need to be! The sight and smell of you makes me so sick I want to puke! And I know that you must feel the same! So why don't you do us both a favor and just give me the damn thing!"

His temper was hot as he stared into her face. She just stared back at him, the same pain filled eyes from just a short time ago glazed back over her expression.

Oh, man, his ears flatten to his head, he hated that look.

Finally her eyes dropped from his, but even in her shy innocence, Kagome wasn't backing down from him.

"Did I mention cruel? And hateful…" she added as she reached down to pick up the trash he had thrown down, stuffing it forcefully into the empty bag. "and… and… I don't know why you think I would ever want to give you something that would make you even more so! God forbid you ever be whole! You're bad enough as it is with only half!"

She didn't give him a chance to say anything else as she jumped up and ran toward the house.

InuYasha could only watch her go, watching as she disappeared over the top landing. He could have given chase and easily caught her, but he didn't even attempt to budge.

That was definitely not how he had planned on the day going… or ending for that matter. And he had even further distanced himself from the item that he sought to have.

Shortly after she had disappeared, he heard the light sounds of her footsteps returning. Looking up, he saw her standing at the top of the stairs again.

"InuYasha?" she called out to him with a calmed tone, waiting until she was sure he was still there and that she had his attention. When he replied, "What?" her voice, full of all the hurt he had just administered upon her, ordered, "SIT!"

There was a short lived yell, then a KA-THUNK which was soon followed by a series of muffled groans.

'Yes,' she thought, 'it does still really work, and it worked really well indeed!' And on that note, Kagome turned on her heel and marched back to the house.

'Baka!' InuYasha chided himself after he was able to lift his head off of the ground.

================================

Well, it had been a good day up until she got home at least. First InuYasha and now her mother! She should have just stayed at Ayumi's house, but, considering the talk she just had with her mom, that wouldn't have been an option once she called to ask if she could stay. This day was surely ending on a sour note, not believing just how a wonderful day turned so bad so fast.

And now she was grounded!

There was no possible way for her room to be in the state that her mother said she found it in, -- not unless Sota, -- the little brat, -- got into her room again and tore it up. He had done that a couple of times before, looking for things that wouldn't have been in her room in the first place.

As she reached the door to her room, Kagome pushed it open and stared with an open mouth. There were shoes, and pieces of clothing, strewn over the room. There were things knocked over on her dresser and her bed was a mess.

That little brat; he had to be jumping on it again! Why couldn't he do that in his own room, his own bed? Oh, of course, if it were his room messed up then he'd be the one in trouble, not her!

She closed the door with the appearance that nothing was wrong all the while she was steaming mad. No wonder her mother grounded her to doing house work tomorrow!

Walking over to the bed, she set the bags down, and immediately started to fix her bed again; pushing the mattresses back in place, straightening the sheets and comforter, and replacing the stuffed animals back in their places. Next, she picked up the shoes that were scattered and replaced them in a neat, organized row in the closet. She took out two empty hangers and moved back over to the bed.

Dumping out the contents of one of the bags, Kagome lifted up a large, plain, bright red tee shirt and placed it on a hanger, then picked up a similar one only it was black and placed it on the remaining hanger. She turned to take them over and hang them up in the closet, but wound up sitting down on the bed to stare at them. She had gotten them for InuYasha while she was out, and now she felt really foolish for doing that.

In all the times that she had seen him, he had always had the same thing on -- red torn tee shirt, faded jeans with the knees ripped out of them. It really wasn't her business why he only wore that, but she found herself picking these out for him anyway. She had some ridiculous image in her head about handing them to him and him being pleasantly surprised, but that came crashing down after the run in with him just a while ago. Now she didn't know what she would do with them.

With a heavy sigh, she walked over to the closet and stuck them in to put them out of the way for now.

Kagome resumed her task of cleaning the mess that was made of her room.

'That little brat,' she thought as she picked up the tiny white pills of her Midol and replaced them back into the blue labeled, white bottle. These little babies were more precious than gold when it came 'that time of the month' and her cramps would start up. Nothing else seemed out of the ordinary in the drawer other than a couple of empty wrappers, but she didn't see any of the contents anywhere. Maybe she had just left them in there herself, she thought with a shrug.

Her next task was to go through every drawer that stood open, finding them in disarray and having to go through to reorganize her stuff. Right now, if she got her hands on her brother, she'd more than likely strangle him to death!

Lastly, she straightened the top of her dresser. As she stood there setting things back in place, Kagome looked at herself in the mirror, then looked at the necklace she had around her throat. She frowned a little. Yes, it seemed that things started to go bad every since she gotten it. Maybe she should just give it to InuYasha after all. He wanted it so badly. It would be away from her and then he could deal with whatever consequences came from it.

She touched the smooth surface, noticing that it looked a bit deeper blue than what she remembered it being. It was barely noticeable. Perhaps her mind was playing tricks with her, but she wasn't in the mood for games or tricks right then. Reaching behind her neck, she unfasten it. For some reason, she just couldn't stand it on her any longer and once removed she laid it upon the dresser top.

All she wanted to do now was put it all behind her: The necklace, her mother, Sota, InuYasha…. With a sigh she moved back over to the closet and pulled down the portable stereo that she kept on the top shelf when she wasn't using it; usually opting to use her personal smaller one anymore, but she felt the need to hear a fuller sound. No, that wasn't right, she felt the need to feel the sound.

Once she set the unit up, she selected a CD that would satisfy the need she had and plopped it in and set it to start playing. As the music started drifting out of the speakers, she moved past the window back to her bed and dumped out the contents of the other bag. Black tights, black long sleeved spandex leotard, and a white see through skirt. She wasn't a ballerina, never was, but loved to dance and sometimes pretended she was one. And when she saw the outfit on display, just like those tee shirts she bought, she had the urge to get it.

It took the whole of one song to change, but before the next one started she had positioned herself in the middle of the room and readied herself for it to begin. When it started it's soft, mellow rhythm, Kagome body began moving with a fluidness that matched; gliding about the room, limbs stretching, bending, reaching in long languid movements…

She was lost in her own world; allowing everything else to disappear. Only the music mattered right then and as it played the built-up tension started slipping away from her. She was oblivious to everything except the sound that flowed through her. Oblivious to the muted white glow upon the dresser; oblivious to the golden yellow eyes that watched from outside her window.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* END Of Part 13 *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Well, how was that? Hopefully I caught my spelling mistakes and all that.

Did that clear up what the tiny white pills were from the last chapter?

Note: Even though I have watched many of the shows from the series, there is still quite a few I haven't seen (sigh). So don't get upset IF how I describe her room is different than the series is. I had to guess. I had to make beyond what little I've seen of her room.

I thank any and all reviewers of my story. It does encourage me to continue to write.

Also, anyone that's taken time to read down this far, please note that I have a one-shot called "The Picture That She Drew" and another short story called "Pulling Her Down" if you're interested in checking it out, I'd appreciate it along with reviews on it. Thanks to the ones that have already.

Aishiteru_inu RRRRUFF!