InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Settling In and The Discovery That Is Kagome ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Second Chance

Chapter Four: Settling In and The Discovery That is Kagome

Monday morning came with the usual hustle and bustle. For Kagome, that meant calling Sango at 5:30 in the morning to make sure she was awake as she struggled to put her clothes on, gather her lunch and her briefcase at the same time.

Sesshoumaru sat in a nearby corner, watching the madness as she scampered around him. 'Humans are so strange,' he thought as she hopped past him, trying to put on a pair of thigh highs and walk at the same time. Kagome glanced over at him and stuck out her tongue.

"I bet you think this is funny, don't you Chance?"

Sesshoumaru ignored her, resting his head on his front paws and staring back at the bandage at his side. He sighed irritably. It itched, not the wound but the bandage itself, and he knew if he scratched-

"If you scratch it, you'll have to wear the cone," Kagome warned, stopping long enough to shake her finger at him. Sesshoumaru ignored her again, but turned away from the wound and toward the wall. He watched Kagome out of the corner of his eye, wondering how in the world she managed to stay healthy with the way she dressed.

'She's still in her nightshirt, for goodness sakes.' He glanced at her alarm clock. 'And it's 6:03. She's going to be late.'

Ding-Dong!

Sesshoumaru lifted his head, his ears twitching toward the sound. 'I wonder who that is.' He started to growl as he walked down the steps to the front door. 'It'd better not be that 'Naraku' fellow. I believe I feel like biting someone today…'

Sesshoumaru climbed onto the loveseat, using the back of it to stare out the window. A teenage boy stood on the other side, a blue book bag on his back and cheesy grin on his face.

"Woof!"

He jumped, much to Sesshoumaru's pleasure as the teen looked around him. He finally looked to the window, his smile widening as he tapped the glass.

"Hey fella! Are you Chance?"

"Woof."

"I take it that's a yeah. Where's your mommy?"

'Where's your mommy?' Sesshoumaru replied sarcastically as he barked again. Kagome came running down the steps moments later.

"Chance, stop that! It's just my brother Souta!"

'Oh yes, she did say something about him coming over,' Sesshoumaru remembered as he turned to her.

His eyes rounded as he watched her run down the steps. She was fully dressed by now, with the wide legged black pants he'd saved from falling to the floor earlier this morning and a white blouse. Kagome was buttoning the blouse up as she came down the steps, giving Sesshoumaru a full glimpse of a black lace bra and the contents there in.

Sesshoumaru shook himself as she ran past, making himself forget his 5 centuries of celibacy as Kagome buttoned the last button before answering the door.

"Souta!"

"Hey Shorty!" Souta greeted as he came in. "Dressing and running again, I see."

"Shut up!" Kagome swatted at him, laughing when he jumped out the way as she closed the door. "Ok Souta. This is Chance. Chance, this is Souta."

"Woah," Souta gaped as Sesshoumaru sat down beside Kagome's hip. "Sango was right. That is a big dog."

"You talked to Sango?"

"Nope. Talked to Miroku."

"When?"

"This morning. He's sleeping on Mom's couch."

Kagome giggled as she walked into the kitchen. "What did he do?"

"Felt some girl up at a restaurant somewhere. Sango's pissed, so you shouldn't have to worry about being late."

"Oh crap! You're right! I have to go!" She handed Souta a sheet of paper. "This is a list of instructions for Chance. His food is in the blue lidded plastic containers in the fridge. Nuke it before you give it to him. Um, change his bandage once if it needs it, but otherwise don't worry about it. What else? Oh yeah! Feed him when I leave, once at 12:30 and again at 6."

Kagome grabbed her briefcase and scampered out the door with Souta and Sesshoumaru walking behind her. Kagome tossed her briefcase inside the car, then kneeled down and hugged Sesshoumaru.

"You be good, OK Chance?"

Sesshoumaru snorted, but nudged her hand in agreement. Kagome smiled. "That's my boy! And you too Souta! And no matter what, don't let anyone else in this house."

"Alright. I won't."

Souta and Sesshoumaru watched Kagome pull off, Souta waving when she did, before they went into the house. Souta walked into the kitchen, spotting the metal bowl in the corner. "That's yours, huh?"

'No, it's not. She just keeps random bowls on the floor for décor,' Sesshoumaru grumbled, turning away from Souta to nudge the 'frigerator door. "Alright," Souta laughed. "I get it. You need to be fed."

Souta grabbed one of the containers and tossed it into the microwave before picking up Kagome's list. "Wow," Souta whistled. "Kagome sure laid this out for you. It says here she'll call us at lunch time. Until then, I guess we're free men, right Chance?"

Sesshoumaru said nothing, watching the container rotate around the inside of the microwave. Souta laughed and scratched behind Sesshoumaru's ears. "A dog after my own heart. I think you and I will get along just fine.

*

True to Souta's word, Kagome didn't have to wait long for Sango this morning. As a matter of fact, Sango was sitting on her porch when Kagome pulled up. After an eventless drive, she and Sango reached their office, where one of the mail clerks was waiting for them.

"Hey, which one of you is Kagome Higurashi?" he asked, holding out a vanilla envelope. "That's me," Kagome told him, taking the envelope from him. "Thanks a lot."

"No problem."

She and Sango stepped into their office, closing the door behind them as Kagome ripped through her mail.

"Oh no…."

"What?" Sango asked, peering over her shoulder. "What is it?"

"I have to go to County General today."

"That's not so bad."

"It is when it's Dr. Asuri."

"Oh no…" Sango groaned. "Not the Wind Witch."

Kagome nodded solemnly. "It says I have to be there at 8:30 this morning."

"Well you'd better get going. Don't want to be late. She's bound to be in a bad mood as is."

"Don't remind me," Kagome groaned as she walked out the door. "See you later."

*

Kagome walked up to the emergency room desk minutes later, flashing her identification.

"Hi, I'm Kagome Higurashi from Social Services. I'm looking for Dr. Kagura Asuri."

"You poor dear," the nurse sympathized, pointing down a hallway on Kagome's left. "She's the first door on the right."

Kagome thanked the nurse, then walked down the hallway and opened the door. Inside, a woman sat at the break room table, a cup of coffee in her hands as she looked over a file of X-rays. Her hair was pulled up in a neat bun, and her brown eyes were bloodshot and weary from lack of sleep. She glared up at Kagome, her coffee and work forgotten as she scowled.

"And just who the fuck are you?"

Kagome mentally sighed. 'Yup, the Wind Witch is in rare form today.' "I'm Kagome Higurashi, with the Department of Social-"

"It's about time one of you lazy assholes got here," Kagura grumbled as she took a sip of coffee. "I've tried to get someone here all night."

"I just received the assignment twenty minutes ago."

Kagura rolled her eyes. "Whatever. You good for nothings should have to work nights too. I've been here since 9:00 last night. But then again, you guys never do you fucking jobs anyway."

Kagome's eyes narrowed, taking a deep breath before opening her mouth. "Is there something you wanted, or did you just call us to aggravate us?"

Kagura scowled, but nodded. "Yeah. I have a little girl here that you should talk to, but then again, you guys have proven to be incompetent sons of bitches-"

"Alright, that's it!" Kagome slammed her hand down on the table to get Kagura's attention. "I don't know what you have against the department, but it doesn't have a thing to do with me. You called, I came, now what the fuck do you want?!"

Kagura blinked, then smiled. "They sent me one with fire this time. Good." She extended her hand to Kagome. "Dr. Kagura Asuri, but you can call me Dr. K."

"Kagome. Was that a test of some sort?"

Kagura nodded. "You're the first to pass. I normally make people cry. Bunch of fucking pussies. Come on." She lead Kagome out of the room and further down the hall, stopping between two doors. "The door on the left is the kid herself. The door on the right is her parents. They're Rev. and Mrs. Holland. They brought their daughter here last night, about 9:30 last night. I'll tell you what's physically wrong with her after you talk to her parents."

Kagome nodded as Kagura opened the door. Inside was a small waiting room, with a man and woman sitting on the couch. Kagome smiled as she came inside, Kagura sitting beside her on the couch on the opposite side of the couple.

"I'm Kagome Higurashi, from the Department of Social Services. How are you?"

Rev. Holland shook her hand as Mrs. Holland gave her a weak smile. "We're doing so-so. It's been a stressful weekend."

'Now that I can testify to,' Kagome thought as she nodded her head. "I understand. Could you tell me what happened?" She pulled a tape recorder out of her briefcase, sitting it on the coffee table between them. "Do you mind if I record this?"

"Not at all," Mrs. Holland said, shaking her head slightly. "Go ahead."

"Thank you." Kagome pushed the record button, then nodded. "Now if you could start with Friday morning."

"Friday morning was a regular morning at our house," Rev. Holland started. "We have no other children, except for Kanna. She's our angel."

"We tried so hard to have a child," Mrs. Holland interjected. "For years, we suffered through miscarriage after miscarriage. We'd nearly given up when Kanna was conceived."

Re. Holland smiled. "Yeah. Kanna is our little miracle." He smiled at Kagome sheepishly. "But you didn't ask that. Friday morning was, as I said, typical. I drove Kanna to school, then when to work myself."

"What do you do Rev. Holland?" Kagome asked.

"I work at the local tire plant. My wife is an interior decorator."

Mrs. Holland nodded. "Kanna's babysitter picked her up from school that afternoon. When we picked Kanna up from the babysitters-"

"at around 6:00," Rev. Holland told her.

"Yes, at 6, she was unusually quiet. She didn't eat dinner that night either."

"We figured she didn't feel good," Rev. Holland said. "So she went to bed. She slept through Saturday morning cartoons-"

"Which she never misses," Mrs. Holland said with a sad smile. "She loves the Power Rangers."

"When she woke up it was the same. She barely ate, and she started limping. I asked her what was wrong and she said she fell out of bed sometime during the night."

"We took her word for it until last night," Mrs. Holland said next. "I checked in on her at about 9:00-"

"Her bedtime is at 7."

Mrs. Holland nodded. "I sat down on the bed, and sat in something wet, and kinda warm. I thought she'd had an accident, but when I cut the lights on-" She stopped, her rattled nerves choking her voice. Rev. Holland hugged her, looking over her shoulder to Kagome.

"It was blood, Ms. Higurashi. We rushed her here." He looked from Kagome to Kagura, his eyes welling with tears. "What's wrong with our baby Dr. Asuri?"

"We're still running tests," Kagura assured him. "But the instant we know, you'll know."

"Did she say anything as to how this could have happened?" Kagome asked. "Did she get hurt at school, or anything like that?"

"She said it wasn't school," Mrs. Holland replied. "But that's all she said. She won't talk to us."

Kagome nodded, shutting off the tape recorder and standing up. "Do you mind if I talk to her, and record the conversation? Perhaps she could tell me something useful."

"Of course not," Rev. Holland told her. "Do what you have to."

"Thanks." She and Kagura stepped out of the hallway, leaving Kanna's parents with a little reassurance before closing the door behind them.

"Ok, that's their version. Here's what I have." She handed Kagome the yellow file in her hands. Kagome flipped through it, paling slightly as she did so.

"What the hell…"

"It's bad, Higurashi," Kagura told her. "I don't know what happened to that kid, but it wasn't anything from school. She has bruises all over her back, like someone pushed her against the wall. And I don't even want to guess how she received the vaginal and anal tears."

"Oh God…" Kagome covered her mouth with her hand. 'What happened to this kid?' "Do you think the parents did it?"

"No." Kagura shook her head. "Don't think so. It's like whoever did this was angry with her, and they just don't seem to be that type."

"Yeah, they all don't…" Kagome mumbled as she gave Kagura the file. "Well, where is she?"

"Are you alright? You look pale."

Kagome sighed. "As well as can be expected. Now let's go." They opened the door to the room on the left. Inside was what Kagome guessed to be Kanna, with a man in a brown cotton trench coat sitting on the edge of the bed. He had a notepad and pencil in his hands, occasionally running a hand through his spiked black hair.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk to me hon?" he asked, a pencil and notepad in his hand. "I'm sure you're parents won't mind."

"Just who are you and what do you think you're doing?" Kagura asked, jerking him off the bed and tossing him out the door.

"I'm Detective Kou-"

"I don't give a shit who you are!" Kagura hissed as she shoved Kagome outside and closed the door behind them. "Who do you think you are, going in there without my permission?!"

"It's my case!"

"I don't give a fuck if it's your birthday, you stay your ass away from my patient!"

He smiled suddenly, pointing a finger at her as he started to laugh. "You're Dr. Asuri aren't you? The boys at the precinct warned me about you."

"What…" Kagura growled. Kagome groaned. 'Please don't make him say what I think he's going to-'

"You're the Wind Witch, right? The one who's mouth will blow you away?"

'say.' Kagome shook her head, then stepped between the two before Kagura could rip him a new one. "We have a more urgent matter on our hands people," she chastised. Kagura took a deep breath, but nodded.

"You're right Higurashi. I'll kill him later. Until then," she pointed her finger at the detective, poking him in the chest as he backed into the wall on the other side. "Stay. Out."

"Yes mam'me," he said with a salute. Kagura growled. "You die for that too."

"Come on," Kagome grumbled, grabbing Kagura and dragging her into the room. "Ignore him," she whispered once the door was closed. His head appeared in the door moments later, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously with a wolfish grin plastered on his face.

"Hey, who are you?"

"I'm Kagome Higurashi-"

"Social Services, right?" Kagome nodded. "Well, can I count on you helping me out here?"

Kagome shrugged. "I'm not trying to get cussed out because of you, but I will tell you whatever I get."

"Thanks love." He disappeared, leaving both Kagome and Kagura steaming.

"I told him to stay out of here."

"Just who does that jerk think he is, calling me love?"

They both shook themselves out of killing him, turning around to look at the other occupant in the room. Kanna sat in bed, her shock of white hair blending in with her sterile surroundings. She glanced at them with dull brown eyes, then turned back to the Looney Tunes special on TV.

"Hi Kanna," Kagome said as she walked toward her. She took a seat in a chair beside Kanna's bed, Kagura sitting on the other side as they looked at her. "I'm Kagome and this is Dr. K. We're friends of your parents."

Kanna glanced at them again, then looked away. Kagome sighed. This might be harder than she thought. "How was your weekend?"

Kanna said nothing, her attention still on the TV above her.

"You want to hear about my weekend?"

Kanna said nothing, but Kagura urged her to go on.

"Alright then. I adopted a dog Friday." Kanna finally turned to her, her curious eyes a sure sign she was listening. Kagome smiled and nodded. "Yup. He's pretty big too, but friendly. He was hurt this weekend, so now I'm taking care of him. He has a big white bandage on his tummy." Kagome demonstrated on her own stomach. "And everyday I have to change it. He has these cool markings on his face, and he's this big." She held her hand a couple of feet off the floor, smiling when Kanna's eyes widened. Kagome leaned in closer to her and whispered.

"I personally don't think he's a dog. Don't tell anyone, but I think he's a man in a dog suit."

Kanna smiled, and Kagome and Kagura smiled too.

"He's pretty smart, and sometimes I get the feeling that he understands me. Do you have a dog?"

Kanna shook her head no. Kagome frowned. "That's too bad. Do you want one?"

Kanna nodded.

"Then perhaps you'll get one." Kagome moved to stand up when Kanna cleared her throat.

"What's his…" Kagome stopped, sitting back down as she urged Kanna to finish. "What's his name?"

"Chance."

Kanna nodded, liking the sound of it. "Will you bring him to see me?"

Kagome nodded. "If you're parents say it's ok, then yeah I will."

"OK." Kanna smiled, relaxing against the pillow behind her with a wince. "I can't wait."

"Kanna," Kagura asked. "What happened to you this weekend?"

Kanna sighed, watching as Kagome pulled out her tape recorder and pushed record. "What's that?"

"This is so that I won't forget what you say." Kagome smiled. "I have the worst memory. I can't remember my own name sometimes."

Kanna giggled. "It's Kagome."

Kagome grinned back. "Thank you. See, told you I forget. So I'm going to record this, OK?"

Kanna nodded, then started with what her parents had already told them about Friday morning, then about school and the little boy that tried to take her cookie at lunch. Everything was a typical kid day until after school, when her babysitter picked her up. The woman took her home, then left her with her husband to run an errand.

That's when it took a turn for the worst, starting with Kanna breaking a glass and the man shoving her against the wall.

Kagome and Kagura listened, paling as Kanna told them what happened afterward. The detective stepped into the room during the telling, only to suddenly turn green and rush out of the room.

Kanna sighed again when she finished, then turned to Kagome. "Will Mommy and Daddy hate me?"

"What would make you think that?" Kagome asked, reaching out to tuck a snowy strand behind Kanna's ear.

"He said that if I told, my Mommy and Daddy would hate me."

"No darlin'," Kagura told her. "They won't hate you."

Kanna nodded, satisfied with Kagura's answer. Kagome turned off the tape recorder, putting it back in her pocket as she and Kagura stood up. Kanna grasped her wrist before she left, her brown eyes slightly wet.

"You promise you'll bring Chance to see me?"

Kagome looked at Kagura. "I don't know if I can bring him to the-"

"I'll make clearance for him," Kagura interrupted. "Bring him Friday."

"Friday it is," Kagome chirped, a bright smile fixed on her face. "Now if you'll just wait one moment, we'll send in your mommy and daddy."

"OK."

Kagome and Kagura stepped out into the hallway, where the detective sat in one of the plastic waiting chairs with a bucket between his legs.

"I bet you two think I'm a punk, huh?"

Kagome shook her head as Kagura nodded. "No, of course not."

He smiled sheepishly, setting the bucket on the floor. "It's empty. After the first couple of runs past the nurse's station, the nurse at the desk gave me this. Real nice lady, if you ask me."

"Well, we didn't," Kagura grumbled as she lead them to her office beside Kanna's room. Inside, Kagome played the tape, watching the detective turn pale as Kanna's voice filled the room.

She shut it off when it finished.

"What kind of monster-"

"I don't care what kind of monster, detective," Kagura interrupted, anger rolling off her in waves. "But when you catch the bastard, bring him here first. I only want five minutes."

Kagome sighed, blinking back her reaction. "What will you do now, Detective…"

"Oh yeah," he reached out and shook Kagome's hand. "Kouga Sandival. I was trying to say that when the good doctor kicked my ass."

"Whatever. Just do your job and catch this sick fuck. If he would do this to a kid, imagine how dangerous he is to the rest of the world."

"Yeah. I'm not looking forward to telling her parents."

Kagome mentally groaned. She'd forgotten about that little unpleasant detail. "Ok then," she sighed. "Let's go."

Kouga came with them this time, sitting between Kagome and Kagura in the waiting room. Kagura explained what happened, while Kouga told them what Kanna said. Kagome could understand the shock on their faces, and the outrage and tears that came with it. The man was a close family friend, and had never given them a reason to question his actions before. Kagome, Kagura and Kouga assured them that everything possible would be done to help them before Kagura escorted the Hollands to Kanna's room, leaving Kagome and Kouga in the waiting room.

"Are you ok?" Kouga asked. "You look a little pale."

"I'm alright," Kagome told him. "I just need a minute." He nodded in understanding as Kagura walked back into the room.

"So what's to be done now?" she asked.

"Well," Kouga said, standing up and plunking his notepad back into his pocket. "I'm going to the station, type up the report and get a warrant for the guy's arrest."

"And I'm going to the solicitor's office," Kagome said, standing up too. "Do you have an extra copy of Kanna's medical reports?"

"Two extra, actually," Kagura said as she handed Kagome and Kouga their copies. "I thought you guys would need them."

"Thanks Dr. Asuri," Kouga said. "I'm going to get this guy's address from the victim's parents."

"I'm going too Dr. K," Kagome told her as they both walked out. "I'll see you later."

"When the trial comes, I'll be more than happy to testify against this prick," Kagura growled. Kagome smiled, patting her shoulder. "Thanks Dr. K. You know, you're not so bad."

Kagura smiled, waving her off as she sauntered down the hallway to Kanna's room. "Yes I am, and don't you forget it."

Kagome smiled back, watching as she disappeared inside before leaving the hospital for her car. She opened the door and got in, buckling her seatbelt and starting the car. Kagome sighed as she replayed Kanna's words in her mind, resting her forehead against the steering wheel.

'What is wrong with people?'

>Tap-Tap!<

Kagome looked up wearily, then smiled as Kouga tapped her window again. "You ok?" he asked. Kagome pointed to the passenger side, then opened the door so Kouga could get in.

"You ok?" he repeated when he closed the door. Kagome nodded. "As well as can be expected."

"Tell me about it," Kouga groaned as he leaned back. "I transferred from homicide for this?"

"You worked in homicide?"

"Yeah, for three years. Couldn't take it, so I transferred to the special victim's unit." He sighed again. "I never thought this would be as rough as it is."

"How long have you been a cop?"

"Just 7 years. Joined when I turned 18. What about you? How long have you done this?"

"Started when I turned 20."

Kouga turned to her, propping his elbow on his door as he did so. "You don't look like the type to do this. What got you started?"

Kagome sighed. "In 8th grade, we took the Career Assessment Test."

"I hated that thing," Kouga interrupted. "It said I should have been in construction."

"Mine said this, even thought I wanted to be a singer. So I agreed to go on one of those study days with a social worker. She took me to the morgue to view a three year old. Turns out the kid had a hard life. Dad was great, but Mom used to choke it on purpose. She liked the attention others gave her when she did it. I can't remember what the medical term for it is. Anyway, she got carried away and the kid died."

Kagome shook her head, then rested it against the wheel again. "The social worker said that it hurt her, but she had to do the job anyway. She said that if no one did, who would take care of the kids that needed someone." Kagome smiled weakly at him, closing her eyes when he smiled back.

"She said social workers were guardian angels, protectors of those who couldn't protect themselves. I guess she had me hooked. I joined the volunteer program at 18, then started working for the department a couple of years later."

"Wow," Kouga muttered, gazing at her in a newfound light. "That's…touching…"

"That's a crock of shit," she muttered, smiling when he started laughing. "But thanks."

"No problem. I'm handy with the shit. Just ask the boys back at the station."

"I'm sure you are," Kagome watched as he stepped out, then rolled her window down before he walked away. "Hey!"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks a lot."

Kouga smiled, then nodded once. "No problem. You ever need anything, you know where to call."

Kagome shifted her car into gear, then waved as she drove away.

*

Kagome stood at the solicitor's office, the file and the tape recorder in her hands as she knocked on the door.

"It'd better be good," came a gruff voice from inside. "Or else it's someone's head on a stick Vlad Dracul style."

"It's me Kagamaru," Kagome called. The door opened moments later, revealing a short, stout man with hazel eyes and jet black hair.

"Kagome, how good to see you," he said as he stepped aside and closed the door behind her. "Now what do you want?"

Kagome shook her head at him, laughing when he frowned. "I'm not here for a cordial visit," Kagome said as she handed over the tape and the files. Kagamaru took them, watching her face as he read through the yellow folder. He exhaled slowly, then reached inside his desk for a pair of earphones. He listened to the tape, his face placid and cool as Kagome waited for a reaction.

"Well, it looks like you have a doozy here," Kagamaru told her as he put the tape on his desk.

Kagome nodded. "What do you want us to do?"

"I want you, the doctor and the detective to stay on it. I'm going to have a search warrant issued for the guy's house, and I'm going to recommend him not to be granted bail."

"Thanks," Kagome said as she stood up. "Thanks a lot Kagamaru."

"You're welcome. Anything to the girl with half my name."

Kagome rolled her eyes, but stopped when he grasped her wrist. "Hey, are you alright?"

"Why does everyone keep asking me that?" Kagome nodded. "I'm fine."

"Have you had lunch?"

"It's not time, is it?" She glanced at the wall clock. 12:23. "Oh wow. I forgot."

Kagamaru nodded. "That's what I thought. Have lunch with me."

"I don't think so…"

"Come on Kagome. Have a big, greasy burger with artery-clogging fries and a tooth-rotting soda with it. What do you say?" He nudged her suggestively, an evil smirk on his face. "You know you want to….I'll even spring for a brownie sundae…"

Kagome cracked. "With nuts?"

Kagamaru nodded. "And whipped cream and fudge sauce."

Kagome frowned, then grinned as she took his arm. "I hate you, you know that…"

"That's my girl," he said as he grabbed his briefcase and escorted her out the door. "I knew that sundae would do it. You deserve it."

*

Sesshoumaru looked at the clock on the wall, then sighed and laid back down. 'It's only 6:14. She's not close to here yet, I think.' He stood up and checked the window, peering outside for her blue monstrosity. 'I really hate that car. She should get a new one, or change the color.' He glanced around him, smirking as he watched Souta sleep surrounded by textbooks.

'That kid isn't bad either. I'd guess he's 19 and Kagome's 22. He's pretty protective for a younger sibling.'

Sesshoumaru turned his stare to the house around him. It was smaller than he liked, but guessed it fit Kagome perfectly. The living room was right at the front door, with the kitchen on the other side and a set of stairs in the living room. There was a small bathroom before the kitchen, with a back door that lead to the woods inside the kitchen. Upstairs were three bedrooms and two bathrooms, one in the hallway and another in Kagome's room.

Sesshoumaru stilled as a pair of voices approached the door.

"No thanks Mr. Naraku," Kagome said as she fumbled with the keys. "I can't go to dinner with you tonight. My brother is here, and I don't want to leave Chance by himself."

"Then perhaps I could stay with you."

The lock clicked, then tumbled open. Sesshoumaru stood by the door, as still as marble as Kagome opened it.

"That's ok Mr. Naraku. I'm sure you have something else you'd rather be doing."

Naraku blocked her way inside, stepping between Kagome and Sesshoumaru. "I do, but they all include you."

Sesshoumaru growled, not liking the lust that poured from the man before barking his head off. Souta bolted from his nap, a monstrous textbook landing from his lap to his foot on the floor.

****

SF: Believe me people, if you've never experienced this then you don't know what you're missing. It feels like a steam roller is trying to flatten your foot into a Looney Tune style pancake.

****

"Shit!"

Naraku jumped forward, nearly bowling Kagome over to get out of the way. Sesshoumaru smirked at Naraku when he looked at him, then barked some more.

"Chance! Stop that!"

Sesshoumaru stopped barking, but that didn't stop him from growling, his clenched teeth and narrowed eyes promising death by jugular extraction.

"Chance," Kagome warned, then held her hand to his nose. Sesshoumaru sniffed, then stopped growling as Kagome scratched behind his ears.

"He's feisty, isn't he?" Naraku joked. Sesshoumaru glared at him, a short growl escaping his lips before grabbing Kagome's pants leg and tugging back inside.

"Chance! I-I have to go Mr. Naraku! I think he's hungry!"

"Alright then," Naraku said. "But be sure to feet that beast. It wouldn't be pretty if he ate the wrong thing."

Sesshoumaru ignored him, favoring instead for getting Kagome away from him. He could sense her fatigue, and her willingness not to deal with him today.

Kagome closed the door behind her, then gave Sesshoumaru a hug. "Did you miss me boy?"

'Hell no,' Sesshoumaru thought, but nosed her neck anyway. He sniffed gently, catching the scents of others who'd been around her and the salt of unshed tears. He could also sense that hugging him made her feel better, so he rested a giant paw on her shoulder to comfort her.

"Thank you boy," she whispered, her voice weary and hoarse.

"Are you ok Kagome?" Souta asked, holding his abused foot. Kagome nodded, standing up as she did so. "Yeah, I'm good. I saw cousin Kagamaru today."

"Really?" He frowned then, peering at her closely. "If you saw him, then today wasn't a good day."

"It was fine, like I said. Do you mind giving Chance his dinner? I need a shower."

"Sure!" Souta chirped, pushing her toward the steps. "You go ahead! You need a bath anyway! You stink!"

Kagome reached back to hit him, but laughed as he jumped out of the way as she hit air instead. "You're such a prick Souta."

"I know, but you love me."

Kagome groaned, then turned and disappeared up the steps. Sesshoumaru followed Souta into the kitchen, watching the old microwave dance as Souta sighed.

"You know Chance, you might be good for her."

Now this captured Sesshoumaru's attention.

"I mean that. Her job is sheer hell. All day she's under stress of the worst kind, then she comes here where she can't get any peace for some creep hitting on her every chance he gets. Oh," he smiled and scratched Sesshoumaru's ears absentmindedly. "No pun intended."

He kneeled so he and Sesshoumaru were face to face, his hands on Sesshoumaru's shoulders. "Look, I know you're just a dog and all, but I think you could help her. Would you promise me that you'll take care of my sister? I don't want that creep Naraku near her, and I'm afraid work's gonna make her crack."

Sesshoumaru nodded, surprising Souta when he shook his hand. Souta's eyes widened then flickered in understanding. "You know what? Kagome says you're more than just a dog. She might be right…"

"Souta! Chance! What are you guys doing?"

Souta put his finger to his lips, giving Sesshoumaru a sly wink as Kagome's footsteps came closer to them. "We won't tell her, will we?"

"Woof."

"That a boy!"

"What are you guys talking about?" Kagome asked as she came in, dressed in a pair of pink sweat pants and a white tank top. Souta grimaced as Sesshoumaru looked away.

"What in the hell do you have on?"

"They're called pajamas, and I think they're cute!"

"You would. Anyway," he reached inside the microwave and dumped the contents into Sesshoumaru's bowl. "I've changed Chance's bandage already. His hair is growing back, which he seems to be thrilled about. The cut doesn't look nearly as bad as you said it did. Oh, and we went for a walk around the park near here. I don't know how you're going to walk him without help."

"I don't need help, do I Chance?"

Sesshoumaru snorted and looked away, only for his eyes to close as Kagome scratched his ears again. 'I love it when she does that…'

"See, Chance agrees."

Souta scoffed. "Yeah right. You're influencing him."

"Whatever. It's my dog."

"I know but he likes me more. Look, I could stay here tonight."

Kagome glanced up at him skeptically. "Why?"

Souta shrugged. "I don't know. You just look a little pale today."

Kagome shrugged, then lightly punched him in the arm. "Work is hell, what can I say? No, I think I'll be alright tonight."

"Are you sure?"

Kagome stepped over Sesshoumaru and his food bowl to the living room, where she started picking up Souta's books and stuffing them inside his book bag. "I'm sure, now get."

Souta laughed as she tossed his books to him, and as she pushed him out the door. "Alright, but if you need anything, call."

"And risk you sending Miroku over here? No way! See you tomorrow!"

Kagome smiled as she shut the door, then walked back into the kitchen and popped a frozen dinner in the microwave.

"This microwave is working overtime, huh boy?"

Sesshoumaru looked up, but did nothing as she opened a cabinet and pulled out a bottle of wine. "Let's see here," Kagome whispered as she dug around a cupboard, plucking out a glass seconds later. "Only one glass, or else things will be a little weird."

She could just see it, her sloppy drunk when Naraku made one of his surprise visits, and waking up in the morning with him in bed beside her….

Kagome shook her head viciously, earning a strange look from Sesshoumaru. "Not how I want my first time to be, thank you very much," she whispered as she poured a glass and took a sip.

After dinner and one more glass, Kagome sat in front of her fireplace on the couch, watching the flames as Sesshoumaru sat under her feet. He worried over her alcohol intake, but figured that one more glass couldn't hurt her.

'Most likely will give her a killer headache in the morning,' he mused, his head on his paws as he looked up at her. Kagome's feet were propped up on the coffee table, with the wine glass swirling in her hands.

"You want to know something Chance?" Kagome slurred, setting the glass down at her feet. Sesshoumaru looked up, but didn't sit up as she continued.

"This world is screwed up. You know that? It's amazing how many sick people go free in a day, roaming around under everyone's nose until they snap and do something horrendous." She sat back, her head resting against the back of the couch as she sighed.

"You know what's worse than that? Knowing that no matter what you do, you'll always be too late. Too late to help, too late to stop the screaming, too late to stop the hurting and too late to keep their lives from changing. No matter what, you'll always be too late." Kagome sniffed, the scent of tears filling the air. Sesshoumaru sat up, gazing at her as tears streamed down her face.

"I'm always too late. They'll never be the same, and all I can do is hold their hand and tell them everything is going to be ok. The years of therapy, of regret and blaming themselves for an instant when they couldn't defend themselves and that's all I can do."

Kagome hiccupped this time, gasping a little around the lump in her throat. Sesshoumaru jumped onto the couch beside her, resting his head in her lap. Kagome gave him a watery smile, scratching behind his ears as she did so. "Did you know that if a man rapes a woman, he gets life but if he rapes a child he gets 7 to 8 years? Why is that? Isn't it the same crime? Perhaps it's not as bad to scar an innocent child for life in the eyes of the law. I don't understand."

She leaned back again, her eyes closing as sleep threatened to take over her. "Mama says that the best blessings come from the biggest trials. I hope she's right, because I'm so tired. I'm tired of being too late. For once, I want to stop it before it starts…."

Sesshoumaru looked up, tracking a tear as it slid down her face in her sleep before resting his head on his paws again. 'Why me?' he asked himself. 'If it were not for that presumptuous miko, I would be in my own lands, with my own companies instead of being here, listening to this. But,' Sesshoumaru looked up at her again, watching as her chest fell and rose with every breath.

'She is…different, in some way. Souta is right to worry. She is too fragile for what she does, and what she goes through in a day. Why does she though? Why does she even care?'

Sesshoumaru sat up, then used his teeth to close the grate on the fire before walking back to Kagome's side. 'She is something, like a bright light among the darkness, a pure creature among demons. Maybe this is why such things hurt her, and why Naraku is so drawn to her." Sesshoumaru grasped her hand with his teeth, using enough pressure to wake her without scaring her.

'I made a promise and I intend to keep it. I will take care of this human as well.' Sesshoumaru pulled slightly, making sure not to tear Kagome's flesh as he tried to wake her up. She sighed but rose, standing up and gracing Sesshoumaru with a happy smile.

"What is it Chance?" she asked as Sesshoumaru pulled her toward the steps. "Are you trying to tell me something?" Kagome giggled at this, nearly stumbling on the steps as she followed him. "Were you Lassie in a past life Chance?"

Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes, taking the comment as a drunken insult as he tugged and pulled her toward her bedroom. He walked her to her bed, standing beside her as she hovered over the bedside.

"Do you want me to get in Chance?"

"Woof."

Kagome nodded, tugging the covers back and sliding between them. "Alright. See, I'm in here." Sesshoumaru sat beside her as she tucked herself in, then waited for her to go to sleep before going back to his own blanket. 'This creature is curious,' he concluded as he watched her. Her face was purely angelic to him, a small innocent smile on her face as the street lamp outside shone through the window. 'Only one more week,' Sesshoumaru thought as he glanced out into the night sky. 'Then I must leave her. Now I know why Inuyasha hates his time of the month.'

He glanced at Kagome, then outside once more before closing his eyes. 'The new moon, how I despise you…'

-----

Ok, before anyone wigs out on me and gets this story deleted, let me explain why I wrote this. I'm a part of the Guardian ad Litum program in my community. It's a volunteer program for people who want to help abused and neglected kids like Rin, Shippou and Kanna in this story. No, I don't think rape is cool, especially when it happens to a child. I found out the other day what Kagome said: That you can get life for rape, but only 7 to 8 years for sexual abuse on a miner. To me, that's bass acward and it shocked the hell out of me. I figured that if I didn't know, you guys didn't either. So that's why I wrote it.

Kagome's breakdown in the last part of the chapter is what a lot of these people go through. They feel useless, like all they're doing is pacifying the problem even thought they're working to stop it. These people are like teachers: Overworked, underpaid and under appreciated.

If you didn't like this chapter, forgive me. It wasn't meant for you to like. It was meant to inform and enlighten. As an author, whether of original pieces or just fan fiction, I feel it's our privilege and our duty to spread the word about the injustice in the world. That law is one of them. Thanks for your time, and for taking the time to read this.

Striking Falcon

P. S. Big ups to Sakuru for the 'Bring Chance to work' idea.

P. P. S. Does anyone else find it ironic that Kanna's the daughter of a reverend? ^.^

Responses:

Meow-chan: See, there is one thing I forgot to mention: Kagome and I in this fic are the same height. So, since I'm 5' 1", that means she is too. A friend of mine has a Great Dane that, to me, is 6' 1" standing on it's hind legs. It likes to put it's front paws on my shoulders when it sees me. That's about as big as Sesshou is in this fic. And Sango did call him Mighty Dog, after all...

Katt: Thanks a lot! This story is rather cute!

Aira^o^-chan: I would want one, but my dog might freak! I have a black lab, and my brother has a german shepard. Eve doesn't like the german at all. I don't know why. It might have something to do with the way they play. {::shrugs::} Yup, Sesshou will turn human soon. I think her reaction might be rather...interesting. -.-*

Dark Neko-Chan: Don't give Sesshou any ideas. You know how he gets. {::sees the grin and groans::} Hey, you two can't kill him yet! I still need him!

Suzuko: I'm sorry about having to wait so long for the updates. It takes one week for me to get the Little Muse to give me the idea, then one week to type it.

Sukiro: I think it is working! I've noticed a lot of new reviewers the past couple of weeks. Thanks a lot for helping! Don't worry about having a pathetic review! Any review is a good one!

NoLabel: It's not, isn't it? I hate it when it does that. It might be gearing up to crash....but I hope not. It might just be protesting my brother's use. {::blushes::} Thanks for the devotion! I'm flattered.

Animegirl38: I would give you Eve, but she would miss me. Oh well. Thanks for the review!

Tessa3: You're right about one thing: There is NO WAY you and Silver Fox are going to be put together. Silver Fox: We're grown folks. We don't need your permission. SF: Alright then, I'll just fry you both... Silver Fox: And I'll soak you.... SF: Then we'll be some fighting asses in here then. I said no. Silver Fox: Like we care. {::hugs t3::} SF: {::shakes her head::} See what you've done. Anyway, Chance gets his own bed, but he does get to see a lot of good stuff. Thanks for the Kai19 recommendation. I'll get on that as soon as possible.

Kikitravel: He said that because...well, he is. He never lost his status when Kikyou went ka-blam on him, it's just that he needs a translator for the woofs and the barks. You'll see who his translator is in a while. Naraku is human, and so he doesn't speak dog.

White Deer: Sesshou: WHAT DID SHE SAY?!!!! SF: Woah big fella. Nope, Sesshou's not going to get neutered, but I think you just traumatized him.

Em Starcatcher: I had a neighbor like him. It only took one pot of hot water hitting his head to stop that. The inspiration for Chance's size came from my brother's German Shepard. It's HUGE and eats everything it can get it's paws on. It ate a Butterfinger of mine one time, wrapper and all. Nope, I was a cat person, but had one that changed my mind. {::shakes her head::} I can't believe Inu-chan said that.

Lady2U: Thanks a lot! I'm coming with another chapter shortly. I even have the name down! Normally I don't know the name of the chapter till I write it.

Jazzylady: I agree. The happy dance must be done at some time or another. I'm coming soon, as scheduled. Thanks for the love! It's returned 8 fold!

Crazyoldwoman: {::SF shrieks, waking half the house and the Inu cast::} OH....MY...GOD!!!!!!! I can't believe you read this! I found your story a couple of days ago and nearly died laughing! It's like BeyondWords all over again! Oh, but {::clears her throat, sits down and acts civilized::} thanks so much for reviewing! Most of the stories are finished...ok, one is finished, the others are still in the writing. I'm working on it though. I update this story every other Sat.

Pruningshears: I have one of the new ones. As a matter of fact, Kagome's car is mine is a certain retrospect. That's what I plan to do to it. Moms had an old one when I was like 5, but she had to trade it. It didn't like to go up hills, so it wouldn't.

Kaze31: I'm coming with more in two Sat.

Rain of Stars: He is rather big, but one must remember that he's not a normal mortal dog. Yup, Naraku gets his, promise. {::nods in agreement::} They are good aren't they? I think I'm going to name her the resident artist or something. Don't worry about me taking a break. I'm going to disappear for one week in Dec. Don't worry, I'll warn everyone first.

Youkai Yume: That's exactly what he is! {::puts a frog in YY's arm::} And you just predicted half the story! Jeez. >.< ......... ^.^ I'm just playing! I'm not mad! Thanks for the love, and the review!

Sesshyangel: Naraku is the last name in this fic. 'Chance' is a smaller version of Sesshou's youkai form. Nope, he and Kagome stay on terra firma, but they do have some decent adventure. {::shakes her head::} I can't breathe in space, but I bet Silver Fox her can. Let's test that theory, shall we?

Laina Inverse: Now give me a moment. No rushing the story! ^.^

Familia-Ficz: Look here, if you send the midgets I'm going to have to send a midget of my own. Silver Fox and- Silver Fox: Wait a minute! I'm not a midget! SF: If you'd quit interrupting! Anyway, I'll have Silver Fox drop the Little Muse in your lap. She'll harass the hell out of you! Makes spam look like heaven!

Shana7: Mr. Naraku's character is actually a spin-off of a neighbor I had before I moved. Miroku will show up, just not yet. Inu-chan will too.

Akai-chan: Thanks a lot for your review and welcome to the nuthouse! That's what I call my bio page, and any of my stories. Not a problem about not reviewing, I understand.

HellzAznGrl: I'm coming as soon as I can!

mkh2: Me too, man. Me too. I hate it when it does that. Since when did computers become carnivores?

Duke of Spades: JUST WHERE IN THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?!!! I've been looking for you! {::sniff::} I thought you said you wouldn't leave again. {::sniff::} Oh well, good to see you back...again. Kagome, like myself, is only 5' 1". I can't wait for hers and Sesshou's first walk through the park.

Dragon Rae: Thanks a lot! I'm coming with more soon...I hope.

Fireash: Thanks a lot! Not a problem! I love doing these things! ^.^

LadyoftheDragons1: You owe me three cookies for Friday's update.

Defafaeth Mechaqua: I just had to try to spell your name...Thanks a lot and welcome to the nuthouse!

Mistress Fluffy: Are you posting it on FF or MM? I can't remember if you said so or not...

mkh2: You don't have to beg. This story is a fav of mine too and I'm eager to write the next chapter.

Sangami: Thanks so much! I'm coming with another chapter soon.

Tsuki no Tennyo: I know, isn't he cute? I want one too!

Tokia: You were thinking of a warped version of 'Loss of a Child'. As you can see, this ain't it. But I'm glad you gave it a chance, dispite what it looked like. Don't worry about it. I don't like Kikyout either.

Kagome333: Thanks for the love! It's posted on my wall!

Helen: Not a problem. My internet is a trip all the time. You know, when I wrote that I wasn't thinking innuendo, but since you've said it Silver Fox now wants to write a lemon for this story too. I don't know why when he hasn't even started on the ones he's been hired to do.