InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Confusions and Another Suitor! ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: For this chapter, I don't own Dru Hill's 'Beauty'.

SF: Um, just for everyone that's interested, this is the timeline: Kagome ran over 'Chance' the last week of September. Three weeks skipped by, then Sesshoumaru turned human in October. Now it's November. Every time Sesshoumaru turns human starts the beginning of another month unless I say otherwise. Oh, um, on with the show!

Chapter Eight: Confusions and Another Suitor!

Monday morning came with a dreary, rainy disposition, gray clouds pilfering away the sun's radiant glow. Kagome thundered down the stairs in a mad dash, desperately attempting to put on her shoes, button her blouse, and not trip over 'Chance' as she rushed to answer the doorbell.

>Ding-Dong!<

"I'm coming!" Kagome shouted, finally deciding to just leap over the stubborn dog in front of her to the last step and sprint to the door. She peered outside, and released a pent-up breathe before opening the door. "Souta! Thank God! I'm so late!"

"When are you not late?" Souta quipped, reaching down to give Sesshoumaru's head a friendly pat as he came inside. "It's raining you know."

"Duh." Kagome dug around the bottom of the coat closet, tossing random items over her shoulders before giving a triumphant "Ah-ha!"

"What?" Souta asked, peering over her shoulder as Kagome stood up with her yellow backpack. "Oh. That ratty thing. You really should get a new one."

"Whatever," Kagome grumbled. She tossed a pair of black heels into the confines of the bag, then her briefcase before slipping on her raincoat and a pair of tennis shoes. "I've gotta go. I'm sure Sango is worried sick-"

"Miroku's picking up Sango this morning," Souta interrupted.

"Really?" Kagome rummaged inside the closet again, this time retrieving a large black umbrella. "When did they get back together?"

"They haven't. Miroku just wanted to talk to her. So you go ahead and go straight to work."

"OK then. Thanks Souta." She bent down and kissed Sesshoumaru's forehead, then hugged Souta before scampering out the door and to her car. She pulled out of her driveway and began her way down the road, reaching over to flip the radio on as he mind began to wander toward her friend.

'I hope those two patch things up,' Kagome thought as she flipped through the stations. 'I mean, Miroku loves her, but he just goes about things the wrong way. I wonder if he realizes that he makes her feel insecure when he gropes other women?'

Kagome shook her head with a sad little smile on her face. 'I doubt it. But maybe if I talk to him, then-' She paused as the radio switched songs, reaching over to turn the volume up and humming along with the song.

~Sorry, didn't notice you there, but then again you didn't notice me. So we'll remain passers by until the next time we speak. I hope that I can make you mine 'for another man steals your heart; and once your beauty is mine I swear we will never be apart.~

'What I wouldn't give for someone to feel that way for me…I wonder what my mystery friend is up to.' Kagome thought back to Saturday night, and the missing dark-haired stranger. 'He was…different. Almost like he wasn't from here. He was just too proper, like he was rich or something.'

~Walks by me every day. Her and love are the same. The woman that's stolen my heart and beauty is her name. I'm hoping I can make you mine 'for another man steals your heart; and once your beauty is mine I swear we will never be apart.~

'I wonder if he's married…' Kagome sighed wistfully, then shook her head clear. 'Better yet, what was he doing in the woods with those strange clothes on?! I wanted to ask that! Oh well.'

~It didn't take much time to think about but I didn't want to move too fast. Cuz I knew that when I saw you again that I wouldn't wanna let you pass. Cuz my eyes have seen the glory in the coming of your smile. So I swear if you ever come 'round again please stay for a while.~

'And lurking around after dark too…Gah! I'm lucky the guy didn't bean me over the head or something. But…' Kagome smiled softly, lost to the inner part of her mind. 'He was cute…'

~You are so beautiful. When I'm down and out I never seem to get tired…tired of your love, cuz you are wonderful.~

'What would it be like to be in love with a guy like him…'

~You're wonderful. I'm just dying to make you see; anything you want inside your heart you can find right here inside of me.~

'Who am I kidding?" Kagome thought as she pulled into the department parking lot. 'That guy wouldn't go for a girl like me. Besides, I don't even have to worry about it. It's not like I'm going to ever see him again.' Kagome turned off her engine and stepped out the car, sprinting across the driveway to avoid being soaked through. "I'll just forget about him, that's all," she said aloud after opening the glass doors to the inside lobby.

"Forget about who?"

"KYAH!!!" Kagome whirled around, then whapped Sango on the arm as she struggled to calm her racing heart. "What's wrong with you? Are you trying to scare me half to death?!"

"No actually," Sango said around her giggling fit. "I actually came down to intercept you. Kaede said to give you this." She passed Kagome a memo, sat in one of the nearby chairs and waited for Kagome to finish.

"Great," Kagome grumbled moments later. "Just great."

"What is it?"

"As if you don't know." Kagome pulled her hood over her head, preparing once again to brave the elements before answering Sango. "The detective for one of my cases wants to talk to me."

"Oh, so that means you have to go back out, right?"

"Right." Kagome moped playfully, then punched Sango in the arm. "And I wanted to ask you about the ride here. Oh well, I'll do it later-"

"No need," Sango replied, suddenly all seriousness. "Miroku and I talked, and that's it."

"So is the wedding on again?" Kagome asked, patting Sango's arm when she shook her head.

"He just doesn't understand," Sango sniffed. "He says that there should be nothing wrong with him admiring other women, but…"

"I understand Sango. I really do." 'Looks like I'm going to have to have a longgggg talk with that cousin of mine,' Kagome thought to herself as Sango calmed down and rushed her toward the door. "I tell you what; how about we go for ice cream after work today?"

"Are you crazy? Its freezing cold, in the middle of October-"

"Correction, it's November 1st," Kagome commented.

"Whatever. It's still winter, and you still want to eat ice cream?" Kagome nodded eagerly, then smiled when Sango shrugged. "Then I guess I do too. You've got yourself a deal."

"Alright then," Kagome called as she left the building. "I'll call Kaede on my cell to let her know that I'm on my way. See you later!"

*

"Hey Newbie!" one of the detectives hollered as he passed Kouga's desk. Kouga growled in annoyance and attempted to ignore it.

"Hey Newbie! I'm talkin' to ya!"

"Yeah?" Kouga replied heatedly. "Who says I have to give a damn?"

"Why I oughta-"

"Hey Sandival?"

"Yeah," Kouga replied into his intercom, ignoring the detective completely. "What is it?"

"There's a Kagome Higurashi from Social Services to see-"

"Send her up." Kouga attempted to straighten the lion's den that was his desk, sorting what he could into the numerous baskets that surrounded him and searching for the proper file. 'Where is it?' he grumbled to himself as he shoved a pile of papers into the waist basket. 'Just great…'

"Det. Sandival?"

Kouga glanced up quickly, then stood to his full height as Kagome flashed him a brief smile. "How are you?"

Kouga unintentionally sized her up, his eyes drinking in the tan dress pants and simple white blouse that tastefully accentuated her figure before gazing fully into her face. "Um…better now." Her blush brought him out of his admirations long enough to find the missing folder…which was sticking out of the trash can.

"If you'd take a seat please," he stammered quickly, trying to hold to his composure as he gestured to the rickety chair in front of his desk. Kagome sat down politely, her eyes trained on the folder in Kouga's hand as he sat on the edge of the desk nearest her. "Um, what do you know about the Holland case so far?"

"I know that Kanna had surgery a few weeks ago," Kagome said thoughtfully. "But other than that I'm still in the dark."

"Oh. OK then. Well," Kouga moved to the chair beside Kagome, waiting until she turned toward him to pass her one of the many papers inside the folder. "Solicitor Kagaromaru Urimeshi issued a warrant for the suspect's arrest; a guy by the name of…" He flipped through the file, then passed Kagome a mug shot of a middle aged male with a thick black mustache and brown eyes. "Greg Anthony Wallace. He's 42, lives within walking distance of Kanna's school, and his wife is in fact friends with the Hollands."

"Alright then," Kagome said, then passed him back the mug shot. "So what happened?"

"Well, when we arrived at the house, he wasn't there. We had to sit and wait on him." Kouga shook his head in obvious amusement. "The poor bastard tried to run too."

"What's so funny?" Kagome asked. Kouga shook his head, then passed her another slip of paper. "I was All-State Track and Field at my old high school. The dumb-ass actually thought he could outrun me."

"Really…" Kagome said with a quirk of her brow. "Fascinating. Was there a search?"

"Yeah," Kouga replied, frowning slightly when Kagome didn't catch his little joke. "The house itself is pretty much normal, but the basement had this hole in one of the walls hidden by foam bricks. We found some pretty heinous stuff in there."

"Panties," Kagome read from the report. "Both in little girls' and women's sizes, right?"

"Yeah, and a lot of them were in rough shape. Some looked ripped, and others had blood specks on them. Needless to say that this guy has been sick a long time. Anyway, the wife had no idea that stuff was down there. She looked just as shocked as we were."

"There were some magazines and rope?" Kagome said to herself more than him, turning her paper around.

"Yeah. There were Polaroid's also. Anyway, he already had his bail hearing. He's been under house arrest for the past couple of weeks. Um, other than that, that's it."

"Oh, ok then."

"Hey Sandival-hey," the detective from earlier began as he stepped closer to Kagome. "Who's this? She's definitely too classy for a jerk like you."

"What do you want?" Kouga snapped in annoyance, reminding himself to keep his temper in check around Kagome. The detective shrugged and picked up Kouga's phone receiver. "There's a call for you."

"Thanks," Kouga mumbled, then shot the detective a vicious glare when he looked back at Kagome. "Bye."

"I can stand here if I want," the detective challenged, leaning an arm against the back of Kagome's chair.

"Not if you want your right arm," Kouga growled, his eyes narrowing slightly and his possessive instincts taking over any rational thought. The detective continued to ignore him, even going so far as to put his hand on Kagome's shoulders. Kouga reached out to remove it when

"Excuse me, detective, but I don't think you should be here," Kagome said politely, gently removing the man's hand from her shoulder. "We're trying to get some work done, and I'm sure you have work to do as well. Please don't let us keep you from it."

"Um," the detective stammered, his brashness gone with Kagome's polite dismissal. "Yeah, you're right." He walked away, casting Kouga a "See you around Newbie!" before returning to his desk on the other side of the room. Kagome glanced at Kouga curiously, then gestured to the phone.

"Oh yeah, right," Kouga said sheepishly, then began to speak into the receiver. He hung up the phone a few moments later, with a mixed expression on his face.

"What is it?" Kagome asked.

"We're to go to the hospital emergency room," he said, reaching around his desk for his coat as Kagome put hers back on with a sigh.

"What is it? Is there something new with the Holland case?"

"No, it's a new case entirely. Apparently a girl was gang raped, and our departments assigned us for the case."

"Oh."

"How about you ride in the car with me?" Kouga suggested as they walked across the floor to the elevator. "I'll bring you back here when we're finished."

"Well…alright then," Kagome replied, reasoning that his way would save her some gas. Kouga smiled to himself at her acceptance, figuring that the car ride would give him a chance to get to know Kagome better.

*

"Oh hell," Kagura grumbled as Kagome and Kouga walked into the emergency room doors. "it's Super Cop."

Kouga's eyes narrowed, his temper already flaring as he growled "Hello to you too you-"

"Hi Kagura," Kagome chirped in, interrupting Kouga as Kagura finally noticed her. "Hello to you too Kagome. What's up? Are you guys here to see my patient?"

"We think so," Kouga said as Kagura lead them down a hallway. "We weren't given any names though."

"There's a reason for that," Kagura said as she opened a nearby door. Kouga and Kagome stopped in their tracks, each openly staring at the person inside. Kagura waited a moment, then pushed them inside and closed the door behind them. "Excuse us sir. This is Kagome Higurashi from Social Services, and Detective Kouga Sandival from the special victims unit of the local police department.

"Hello," the gentleman greeted, reaching down to adjust his wrinkled business suit before shaking Kouga and Kagome's hands. "I'm Samuel Chen."

'Yeah, I know who this guy is,' Kouga thought to himself as Kagome greeted the man. 'He's that American action movie star! Cool!'

"What can you tell me about my daughter?" Mr. Chen asked Kagura. "Is she going to be alright?"

"We believe so yes," Kagura responded kindly. "She should be ready to go after Detective Sandival and Miss Higurashi have a word with her."

"Alright then." Mr. Chen nodded and sat back down. "Is there anything I can do?"

Kagome gently patted his shoulder, a warm and comforting smile on her face when he looked up at her. "You're already doing it." Mr. Chen gratefully returned the smile. "We'll be right back."

She, Kouga and Kagura stepped out of the waiting room, walked down the hall and into another room similar to Kanna's. There on the bed sat a girl with shoulder-length black hair, her brown eyes wide and teary as she stared up at them.

"Hi," she whispered softly. "I take it you guys are here to talk to me."

"Yeah," Kagome replied softly. "I'm Kagome, and this is Det. Sandival. We're going to take you're statement."

"Yeah, sure."

Kouga's cell suddenly rang, startling the others before Kouga excused himself from the room. "Sandival." He turned toward the window in the glass door and watched as Kagome began to record her conversation.

"Yeah, we're here. You want to do what?" Kouga inwardly groaned, then nodded in understanding. "Yeah, I got you. We'll be there." He hung up quickly, taking a moment to watch Kagome before walking in.

"Hey," he greeted, immediately granted with everyone's attention. "HQ says that they have some suspects for her to ID." He turned to the young lady, a soft smile on his lips as he rested his hand on Kagome's shoulder. "Are you up for it?" he asked her. The girl looked from him to Kagome, then back again when Kagome nodded her head.

"Will they see me?" she asked.

"No," Kouga answered. "You'll be behind a one-way mirror the entire time."

"Oh. OK. Can my father come too?"

Kagome turned to Kouga, who nodded to this as well. "You can ride to the station with him, if you want."

*

Kouga clutched the steering wheel anxiously, every now and again glancing at Kagome out the corner of his eye. She leaned against the passenger door, her fingers twining and untwining in the seat belt as she stared out the window. Her emotions, first sadness, then anger and finally a sudden wistfulness, flickered across her face like a broken streetlamp.

'She's so beautiful,' he mused to himself, Kagome completely unaware of his sudden admirations. 'She'd never go for a guy like me…but still, it couldn't hurt to try.' Kouga cleared his throat nervously, then tapped Kagome's shoulder.

"Um, Kagome?"

Kagome turned to him quickly, her own thoughts scattering at the sound of his voice. "Yes Detective Sandival?"

"Please, call me Kouga."

"Alright then," Kagome said with a smile. "What is it Kouga?"

'Man, I could hear her say my name all day,' Kouga admitted to himself before finally answering Kagome. "You see…what I want is…Can I ask you a question?"

"Didn't you just ask me one?" Kagome teased gently, then shook her head and smiled when he became frustrated. "Sure you can ask me a question."

"Well, I was wondering-I know this isn't exactly the right time to ask but…would you be willing to go out with me?"

"Like, on a date?" Kagome asked skeptically. Kouga scratched the back of his head, then nodded.

"I suppose," Kagome replied, shocking them both. "When would you want to go?"

"I'm off this Friday," Kouga offered quickly. Kagome thought a moment, then nodded as he pulled into the police station driveway.

"OK then. Friday it is." She reached inside her purse for a business card and a pen, scribbling her number and address on the back before handing it to him.

"Thanks Kagome. Um, are you sure you want to go out with me?" Kouga asked as she stepped out of the car.

"Why wouldn't I?" Kagome asked back. 'After all, you can't be worse than my last boyfriend…can you?'

"I just wanted to know. Well, I guess I'll see you then!" They both continued to stare at one another for a moment, then Kagome said

"Kouga?"

"Yeah?"

"We still have work to do, so you might want to get out of the car."

*

"So," Sango began as she hopped into the car. "How was your morning?"

"Typical," Kagome replied, then glanced sideways before pulling out of the driveway. "You know, another new case, the detective and I are going out Friday night, the case's father is-"

"You're going out on a date?!!!" Sango exclaimed, then grabbed Kagome's arm and began to shake her fiercely. "Oh my God! I'm so happy for you!!!"

"Let go!" Kagome cried, panicking as she attempted to keep what little control she had over the wheel. "Or I won't make that date! You'll kill us!"

"I'm so sorry Kagome!" Sango let go long enough for Kagome to swerve back onto the road, then gave her a brief hug. "I'm just so happy for you! When was the last time you had a date?"

"I don't want to think about it," Kagome said with a laugh. "But I don't know if I should go…"

"Oh boy," Sango groaned, dramatically draping a hand over her eyes. "Here she goes. Why not?"

"Well, I don't exactly know the guy. I've only known him for a month. What if he's some kind of kook?"

"For all you know, he could be the sweetest guy around," Sango argued. Kagome sighed, then agreed with her. "yeah well…"

"Well what?" Sango asked. "What are you so afraid of?"

Kagome used the red light to pause and think a moment, then shrugged. "I don't know. I mean, isn't it supposed to be a spark or something? Something that says that he's more than what he looks like?"

'Like hazel eyes glowing in the moonlight…' Kagome's subconscious teased.

'Shut up,' Kagome snapped back.

"Who said there had to be sparks?" Sango asked. "Is he cute?"

"Yeah bu-"

"Point made." Now satisfied, Sango leaned back in her seat and grinned like the Cheshire Cat. Kagome sighed and shook her head once more.

"So you mean to tell me that, when you first met Miroku, you didn't feel any sparks?"

"Um…"

"Point made," Kagome shot back with a smile. "So now do you get what I'm trying to say?"

"Yeah…but maybe it takes a little time for it!"

'Maybe,' Kagome said to herself. 'But; its weird; with Sesshoumaru, I think I felt it…'

"I tell you what I'll do," Santo interrupted unaware. "I'll help you get ready. With the right clothes and the right attitude, you should be made to go!"

"Alright," Kagome replied uneasily, then turned into the ice cream shop drive-thru. "If you say so."

"I know so," Sango retorted. "Now, I want a hot fudge sundae…"

*

"You're going WHERE?!!!!!" Souta exclaimed Friday night. Kagome cringed instantly, when winced when Sango chimed in.

"Don't act like that Souta! She deserves to go out sometime!"

"Yeah, but with some jerk she doesn't know?" Souta responded. Sesshoumaru silently padded into the room moments later, lying down graciously beside Souta's feet and watching the war like a tennis match.

"God, what if he's an ax murderer or something?"

"He's a detective Souta," Kagome told him. "So I don't think you need to worry."

"So what? He could still be some kind of craz-o! Haven't you seen 'American Psycho'?"

"You watch too many movies," Kagome grumbled. "It's just dinner and a movie. What can go wrong?"

"Gee," Souta grumbled sarcastically, a finger to his lips in thought. "He could go nuts, kidnap you and run to the other side of the border!"

"Would you stop that!" Kagome hollered. "I'm the eldest, not you!"

"And?" Souta hollered back. "You may be older than me, but it's my job to protect you! How do you think I'd feel if anything happened to you, huh?"

Kagome sighed heavily, then gave an apologetic smile. "I know you worry about me-"

"Especially after your last boyfriend!"

"Especially after him," Kagome conceded in defeat. "And I understand that, but you can't protect me forever. I need to do things, like date. Understand?"

Souta flopped down on the couch with his arms folded over his chest and grumbled "Whatever."

Kagome glanced at Sango, who shrugged, before shrugging back. "So…will you look after Chance for me."

"Can't. Busy."

"Oh," Kagome muttered sadly. "OK then. I guess I'll go and get ready." She and Sango ascended the stairs, leaving Souta and Sesshoumaru to themselves.

"I know I seem overprotective," Souta said after a moment's silence. "But I don't want Kagome hurt again. The last guy she dated was a real trip. Sango and the others only know half of what he really did to her."

Sesshoumaru's ears perked instantly, his head resting on Souta's knee as Souta continued. "That guy was really hard on Kagome. He was constantly yelling at her, telling her that she wasn't pretty, she wasn't smart, and that only a fool would want to be a singer with her voice. Have you ever heard her sing?"

"Woof."

"Exactly," Souta said, then scratched behind Sesshoumaru's ears. "I just…I don't want to see her hurt all over again. It took so long for her to heal last time. It's not my fault that I still want to protect her, is it?"

'I do not believe so,' Sesshoumaru said to himself. 'After all, it is the responsibility of the male to protect the females in his pack, even if he is the youngest. However, I do not like this 'date' thing myself.'

'Could it be,' a familiar feminine voice called from the edges from his conscious. 'That you feel a tad…jealous?'

'Hell no,' Sesshoumaru growled lightly. 'She is but a mere female.'

'Sure. If you say so.'

'Silly, stubborn, human wenc-'

>Ding-Dong!<

Souta groaned, then moved Sesshoumaru's head from his knee to the couch before standing up to answer the door. Kouga stood on the other side, blinking slightly from the indoor illumination. He smiled at Souta, who merely nodded his head and stepped to the side so Kouga could come in.

"Hi, I'm Kouga," he greeted, his hand extended. Souta ignored it, reaching instead to give Sesshoumaru's head a final pat before grabbing his book bag. "I'm Souta. Kagome's brother. Oh, and I'm leaving." He turned just and Kagome came downstairs, his eyes narrowing at Kouga's wolf whistle.

"Wow," he greeted in admiration. "You look great."

"Yeah, well," Kagome started with a blush, her hands lightly brushing over the black leather skirt and the sleeves of the red silk blouse she had on. "Thanks. "

"Well, I'm gone," Souta announced loudly, effectively ruining the romantic moment. Kagome waved to him sadly, then opened the nearby closet and pulled out her coat. "I guess we should be going as well." She kneeled down to hug Sesshoumaru, then blinked in surprise when he turned tail and padded into the kitchen.

"You're mad at me too, huh?' he heard her whisper. He thought for a moment to turn back, then quickly dismissed the idea as foolishness.

'After all, I'm not the one forcing her to go,' Sesshoumaru concluded as the front door closed in the living room. 'She could stay here if she wanted.'

"Well Mighty Dog," Sango said as she entered the kitchen. "Kagome told me what to do for you, so let's eat." Sango gathered Sesshoumaru's food from the refrigerator, and once again Sesshoumaru found himself watching the contraption as Sango stood beside it.

"I feel really bad for Kagome and Souta," Sango said. "I mean, Kohaku and I fight, but it's never this bad. It sucks to be the oldest, but I'm sure it's not exactly Heaven to be the youngest too."

'I suppose it's not,' Sesshoumaru thought after a second. 'But then again, I never found the time to consider it. I wonder if Inuyasha feels that way sometimes?'

"What Kagome doesn't realize," Sango said as she plunked Sesshoumaru's food into his bowl and sat down in a chair beside him as he ate. "Is that she needs to be protected. She's too kind-hearted to be allowed to just go with her instincts. She could get into serious trouble without someone to watch over her."

'That I do not doubt,' Sesshoumaru responded. 'After all, she does seem to be a sort of trouble magnet. If this were the Feudal Era, I would constantly have to ward her away from youkai attacks.' This brought would have brought a smile to his face, that is; if dogs could smile. The thought did lift his heart, for reasons he'd rather not have known.

Sango allowed Sesshoumaru to eat in quiet afterward, then followed him into the living room and flipped on the TV as Sesshoumaru reclined on his nearby blanket and went to sleep.

****

"Bloody hell," Sesshoumaru groaned, his forehead resting in the palm of his right hand. "Can I not have one simple dream without you here?"

"Nope. Sorry Sesshoumaru," Kikyou chirped from her seat on the side of the well. "There isn't much you can do without me knowing about it."

"Of that I am aware," Sesshoumaru grumbled. "First, I cannot sleep without looking at you, then while I'm awake you have to feed me your 'pearls of wisdom'. Is there no end to this hell?"

"You know you enjoy my company," Kikyou retorted, watching as Sesshoumaru leapt into a nearby tree and glared down at her. "After all, I am the only constant in your life."

"And you do your best not to make yourself a nuisance," Sesshoumaru replied sarcastically. Kikyou frowned, then grinned up at him.

"I know what's wrong with you…"

"Other than having a dead human haunt my dreams?"

"Hm!" Kikyou crossed her arms angrily and looked away. "It's not my fault your little sweetheart went out on a dat-Urk!"

"What. Was. That?" Sesshoumaru growled dangerously, Kikyou dangling by her throat from his hand as he slowly choked her breathless.

"It's the truth," Kikyou gasped. "You're jealous." She blinked, her hair waving and her eyes changing from brown to steely blue. Sesshoumaru balked, dropping her instantly and stepping back.

"How did you…"

"Change into her?" Kikyou asked, then shook her head. She reverted to normal instantly, then shrugged. "I'm not sure. I think it's because you know what she looks like. I just recreate what you know."

"Do not do it again." Sesshoumaru returned to his tree, his back turned to Kikyou as she began to slowly kick a rock around the well.

"You're still jealous Lord Sesshoumaru."

"Say what you will," Sesshoumaru called over his shoulder. "But it will not make it true."

"If it's not true, then why did you feel betrayed when you found out?"

"I did not feel…" 'She may be right,' Sesshoumaru thought to himself. 'I did feel…something. Keh! I felt nothing! She wishes to torture me, like normal.' "I felt nothing. You lie, like usual."

"Sure sure," Kikyou replied. "But I bet you thought that, after she met the human you, that she wouldn't want to meet anyone else. Seems that you want to keep her to yourself."

"If only to protect the silly wench," Sesshoumaru said. "After all, I did promise."

"A woman needs more than just a glance to keep her interested," Kikyou said, steamrolling ahead as if she didn't hear him. "She needs…Oh, who am I kidding? You don't want to hear what I have to say."

"Of that you can be assured," Sesshoumaru said. Kikyou shrugged, then returned to kicking the rock and ignoring him as Sesshoumaru turned into his thoughts. She hummed softly to herself; a little tune that she remembered Rin humming when

"What…do they need?"

"Well," Kikyou began, hiding a triumphant smirk behind the palm of her hand. "Women like mystery, but not an enigma. You're an enigma."

"And…that is bad?" Sesshoumaru asked, then mentally slapped himself. 'I cannot believe I am accepting advice from a dead woman.'

"Not exactly. See, she could think that you're not interested in her," Kikyou responded. "Sooooo…you have to show some interest."

"And how would I do that-If I wanted to, of course," Sesshoumaru said quickly, then frowned when Kikyou began to giggle. "What is so funny?"

"Nothing Sesshoumaru-sama. Just a stray thought. Anyway, try to show some interest in what she does."

"But I know what she does."

"But when you're human, you're not supposed to know. So ask questions."

"About?"

"About anything. Her job, her life. Heck, ask what her favorite color is."

"For what reason?" Sesshoumaru asked. "Colors are not important."

"But one might be to her. Ask anyway."

"I shall…think about this," Sesshoumaru replied.

"Oh, and Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"Yes, annoying one?"

"Ha ha, very funny," Kikyou grumbled. "Try to find out what her favorites are. That might help you too. Now I've got to be going. Perhaps you should wake up."

"Wake up? Why?"

*

"Sweet Mother of Mary!" Kagome exclaimed as she slammed the front door. Sango, Sesshoumaru and Souta jumped in surprise, then relief as Kagome leaned against the back of the door and slid to the floor below. "Hey you guys…Souta? When did you get here?"

"A few minutes ago," he admitted. "And Kagome? I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that."

"Yeah, well, I wish you'd done something worse than yelling." She groaned and shook her head. "Oh God. That was horrid."

"What happened?" Sango asked. "It can't be that bad, can it?"

Kagome clapped her hands, then rested them in her lap as she rolled her eyes and nodded. "Well, let me tell you. The movie wasn't bad. A little boring, but not bad."

"What'd you see?" Souta asked.

"Um…'Master and Commander'."

"With that dreamy guy that played in 'Gladiator'?" Sango asked. "How could anything he plays in be boring?"

"Just trust me on it, ok? I like 'Pirates of the Caribbean' better. Anyway," Kagome stood up and moved to the arm of the couch nearest to the door. "After the movie, we went to Montello's-"

"That new restaurant downtown?" Souta interrupted. "The expensive one?"

"Yeah, and I've wanted to eat there, like, forever. Anyway, we're sitting down to order when Kouga-"

"Who's that?" Souta asked.

"Her date," Sango responded.

"Oh yeah. Must not have been paying attention when he introduced himself."

"Anyway, Kouga shoots this elderly guy at the table next to us the evil eye. I didn't think anything of it because…well, I just didn't. Anyway, the waiter came back and was refilling my soda-"

"You ordered soda in a restaurant like Montello's?" Sango interrupted hastily, horrified at the idea. Kagome nodded. "Yeah. I mean, I wouldn't drink around someone I don't know! That's just dumb!"

"I agree," Souta replied. "After all the guy-"

"Could be a nut," Sango and Kagome both said. Kagome shook her head, then continued. "As I was saying, the waiter comes back to refill my drink when Kouga suddenly jumps up and starts screaming at the guy about looking down my shirt!"

"Oh God," Sango whispered softly, already imagining the embarrassing scene. "How awful."

"Oh. That's not the worst part," Kagome told her. "Everyone in the restaurant is looking as us now, right? And I'm sitting there with my hand over my face, trying to calm Kouga down when he grabs this guy by his collar-" she demonstrated on Souta "and just yells in his face 'If I ever catch you looking down her shirt again, I'll rip your eyes out and feed them to you'."

"holy shit…" Souta mumbled, his eyes widening as Sesshoumaru mentally snickered. 'The threat is lacking, but the sentiment is there. I suppose he deserves an E for effort.'

"Give me a moment," Kagome said. "I'm not done. The manager comes out, and tries to help me calm Kouga down. He even offers to give us a free bottle of their best wine to help smooth the whole thing over. Kouga refuses it, grabs me and storms out, yelling something about perverts staring at his woman! It took me at least five minutes to figure out that he was talking about me! The rest of the way home I didn't say a word."

Kagome covered her face with her hands and groaned. "I've never been so humiliated in my entire life. How on earth am I going to work with him now?"

"Poor Kagome," Sango cooed as she and Souta gave her a hug.

"Man, I didn't have to worry," Souta said when they finally let her go. "All I had to do was sit and wait."

"That's not funny!" Kagome scolded. "What am I going to say to him?"

"Well, other than dinner, was he nice?" Sango asked. Kagome nodded.

"Was he a gentleman?"

'A 'gentleman'?' Sesshoumaru wondered. 'What is that?'

Kagome nodded again.

"Well then. Sounds like everything went well."

"And on that note," Souta announced, glancing at the wall clock before shrugging into his jacket. "I'm leaving. I have an early morning lab to attend."

"Alright then," Kagome said. "Thanks for coming back."

Souta nodded, then smiled brightly. "And miss your date from Hell? Are you nuts? Ow!" He ducked Kagome's next punch, then rubbed his arm. "I think I have a frog!"

"Good. You deserve it." Kagome shook her fist threateningly. "Want another one for the road?"

"Um, no. I think not. You need a ride home Sango?"

"No," Sango responded. "I think I'll stay here, if Kagome doesn't mind."

"No, I don't. You have a spare set of clothes here, right?"

"Yeah. So no worries."

"Alright then," Souta said as he stepped out. "I'll see you two later."

"Alright Souta. Later." Kagome and Sango watched as Souta left, then Kagome jumped up and scampered into the kitchen. "I'm starving," Kagome complained, then opened the fridge and began to search. Sango and Sesshoumaru walked in behind her moments later.

"But you just ate," Sango argued.

"No, remember? We left before dinner could be served."

"Oh. So…are you going to see him again?"

"No!" Kagome said quickly. She closed the fridge door moments later, a bottle of water in hand.

"And why not?"

"I just…I didn't feel a spark."

"Not that crap," Sango groaned. "I think I know what it is."

"Really?" Kagome asked. "What is it?"

"This." Sango held up a small rolled up scroll, her finger lightly tapping the burgundy ribbon. "Who gave this to you?"

"Um…"

"Well?"

"This guy I met last Friday."

"You were at home last Friday," Sango told her. "So how did you meet a guy?"

"Chance ran off before I got here," Kagome explained, waving an accusing hand at said dog. "And I tried to find him by myself. Well, I met this guy in the woods-"

"In the woods?" Sango exclaimed.

"Yeah. He tried to help me find Chance, and somehow he got hurt."

"How?"

"He cut his stomach or something. Anyway, I brought him back here, cleaned his stomach, and when I woke up the next morning that was here and he wasn't."

"That's all?" Sango asked. Kagome sighed wistfully, then nodded. "That's all."

"Yeah right. There's your spark."

"I beg your pardon?" Kagome squeaked, then blushed. "No way. I don't think so."

"Why not? He already said that he wanted to see you again."

'Never mind that he sees you everyday,' Sesshoumaru commented before walking past them and into the sunroom.

"I just don't think I'm his type. He seems so…I don't know. But I'm not the same."

"You're too hard on yourself," Sango told her. "I remember when I first met Miroku. I didn't think he would go for me either, but he did. Maybe your guy will go for you too."

"Yeah, whatever. But I'm still starving!"

"Alright," Sango laughed. "How about Chinese?"

"Sure!" Kagome chirped in delight. "Why not? I'd love some Chinese food!"

"Then let me dial up the take out counter." Sango grabbed the phone and left the room, leaving Kagome and Sesshoumaru to themselves.

'Sango's so nice,' Kagome thought as Sesshoumaru propped his head onto her knee. "Oh, so you're speaking to me now?"

'For now,' Sesshoumaru thought, then closed his eyes as she began to scratch the very top of his head. 'Until the next time we disagree, or you become useless. Whichever is first.'

'Figure out what she likes…'

'She likes Chinese food,' Sesshoumaru remembered. 'And a few other things. Perhaps something the miko's said can be put to good use…'

'She's the best girlfriend Miroku's had,' Kagome said to herself, her fingertips moving from Sesshoumaru's head to his neck. 'And it would be a real shame if he lost her just because he can't keep his hands to himself. Maybe it's time I had a talk with him.'

----

Sesshou: {::laughing his ass off at the author::} How does it feel to have the shoe on the other foot, crossbreed!

SF: {::red tail twitching angrily behind her::} Shut the hell up Sesshou! {::growls when he keeps laughing, which only makes him laugh harder::} Keep it up. A lemon for 'TBW' is coming, and I can always get Silver to stop it.

Sesshou: That will not work today female!

SF: {::shrugs innocently, then smiles::} Alright then. I'll do it.

Sesshou: {::quiets instantly::} You'll what?

SF: I'll do it. You seem to not mind not having one, so I'll do it. I can't be that bad, can I?

Sesshou: This Sesshoumaru refuses to be in a lemon, no matter how tempting, if you are going to pen it.

SF: Oh poo. Then that means you have to stop laughing then, won't you?

Sesshou: Fine. I will cease and desist, Guardian-san.

SF: Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama. The next chapter (to be posted March 15th) is Chapter Nine: Even Lechers Need Help With Love.