InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Even Lechers Need Help With Love! ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Um, I don't own it. I just obsess over Sesshoumaru and try as hard as I can to find a real guy with his looks and Miroku's heart. Hey, I can deal with a pervert, as long as his heart is in the right place!

Chapter Nine: Even Lechers Need Help With Love!

Kagome watched as Sango stepped out of her car, the dejection and sorrow she struggled for over a month to hide plain on the elder girl's features.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow," Sango said with a wave and a cheery smile that didn't quite make it to her eyes.

Kagome nodded in agreement, sympathy clouding her eyes as Sango walked to her front porch and disappeared inside her apartment. Kagome pulled out of the driveway, but instead of turning left like she always did, she waited for the light to turn green before venturing straight and toward the center of the city. Her drive soon ended fifteen minutes later, where she parked her car at the base of the shrine steps.

'Way too many steps,' Kagome complained, taking a moment to sit down in the middle of them to take off her heels. 'And it's totally not a great idea to try to climb these in shoes so high.' She finally stood and made it up the rest of the steps to the large courtyard, veering left toward the house behind the shrine itself.

"Hi Grandpa!" Kagome chirped, waving to the old man sweeping the porch.

"Ah, hello Kagome! Back to take over the shrine for me are you?" he said hopefully. Kagome stuttered for a moment, then gave an inaudible sigh of relief when her mom's voice called from inside the house.

"Stop that Dad!" she scolded gently, appearing on the other side of the screen door moments later. "You know that Kagome isn't into this old place!"

"It's sad really," Grandpa said wearily. "But I guess that's young people for you. Never interested in the things that they should be."

"Oh Grandpa," Kagome gave him a hug, then gave him a bright smile. "You know I'm always interested in the history of this place."

"Really? Then let me tell you about the taiyoukai that lived near this here shrine. They say he was the most powerful tai in the land, but he disappeared the night he mated one of the miko from this shr-"

"That's great Grandpa," Kagome said quickly. She backed toward the screen door slowly, relieved beyond all measure when her mother opened the door for her. "But I think I'm going to have to hear that later. I actually need to talk to Roki."

"Alright then," Grandpa said sadly, then returned to his sweeping. "Another thing about young people; they're always in a hurry."

"Hi Mom," Kagome greeted, reaching over to give Mrs. Higurashi a brief hug before following her to the living room. "How's everything going?"

"Terrible!" Mrs. Higurashi replied instantly. She waved an irritated hand toward the living room, then shook her head and sighed. "But you already know that, don't you?"

"Yeah," Kagome admitted softly. "How's Roki?"

"How's Sango?" her mother asked in response. Kagome nodded. "OK, that was a stupid question."

"How many times do I have to tell you kids," Mrs. Higurashi began as she gently pushed Kagome toward the living room. "That there are no such things as stupid questions. However, if you let your grandfather tell you, there are a such thing as oni, youkai and kappa. He thinks that kappa are in the water systems."

Kagome nodded and quirked a brow, wondering to herself if it was finally time to get Grandpa committed like she always thought he needed to be when she was growing up. She remembered the stories he used to tell before bedtime. They were always about some mythical creature of the past that only came out at night and liked to eat little children. She and Souta always had the worst nightmares, and spent more than one night sleeping at opposite ends of Kagome's bed.

"Anyway," Kagome's mother interrupted. "Go talk to Roki. He needs someone, and I'm surprised it's taken you so long to get here."

"I've been rather busy this month," Kagome admitted, reminded instantly of not only Chance but the dark haired stranger that she seemed to be interested in lately.

"I've heard. Souta says such great stuff about him," Kagome's mother bubbled eagerly. "You really must bring the little cotton ball over."

'Little,' Kagome thought sarcastically as her mother walked into the kitchen, leaving her in the living room threshold. 'Yeah right. Chance and little in the same sentence.' She peered inside, then gave a soft sigh at the sight before her.

The living room looked like a makeshift bedroom, with clothes heaped in a nearby corner. Sheets and blankets were not only draped over the back of the couch, but across the two recliners as well. Boxes of pizza and cans of root beer were stacked in a tower-like pile. Miroku, with his hair back in a messy ponytail and his work uniform, sat in the middle of it all watching TV with another can nestled in his hand.

"Hey Roki," Kagome whispered softly, smiling when Miroku immediately turned to her. His violet eyes seemed to lift slightly, the dark circles less prominent than they were a moment ago.

"Hey," he whispered hoarsely. He reached to clear a space of the couch beside him, patting the area and waiting for Kagome to sit down.

"How are you?" she asked, wincing when he gave a dry chuckle.

"How am I?" he repeated. "Well, I'm alright I guess, if you call having insomnia for a month being alright. How are you?"

"I'm…good," Kagome replied guiltily, something Miroku quickly picked up on.

"Hey, don't feel bad because of me," Miroku reprimanded tenderly as he draped an arm around her shoulders. "I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. Souta told me that you went out on a date."

Kagome grimaced instantly. "Don't remind me."

"Uh-Oh," Miroku muttered. "What happened?"

"Souta didn't tell you?"

Miroku shook his head, then blinked when Kagome started laughing. "What's so funny?"

Kagome quieted long enough to tell him about the date with Kouga, ending it with her telling of it when she arrived home later that night. Miroku nodded in sympathy, then burst into laughter of his own.

"It's not funny!" Kagome scolded, whapping him repeatedly with a spare pillow.

"But you were laughing!" Miroku wheezed, his arm raised to block her 'attacks'. "So why can't I?"

"Because I was laughing at Souta!" Kagome growled back. "He normally tells everything I do! I was surprised that he didn't tell you."

"Oh." He ran a hand through his hair, sighing as his fingers caught at the ponytail. "That was great. Thanks Kagome. Now what really happened?"

"What do you mean what really happened?" Kagome demanded. Miroku blinked, then shook his head as another wave of giggles bubbled anew.

"You thought I made that up?!"

Miroku snorted, then roared in outright laughter as Kagome scowled at him. "It's not funny," she grumbled. Miroku giggled one last time, then attempted to calm himself.

"Forgive me Kagome," he said as he dried his eyes. "But that's the best laugh I've had all month."

"Yeah well," Kagome replied, suddenly in a forgiving mood. "I understand, I guess. How are Aunt Kim and Uncle Yukio?"

"Still in France," Miroku grumbled irritably. "They're sending me the key to their house here in a week."

"Oh…" The room suddenly became quiet, with Kagome fidgeting on one end of the couch and Miroku eerily silent on the other. "Roki-"

"I thought you'd have forgotten that name by now," Miroku interrupted, his voice small and wistful. "It brings back…happier times."

"I'm sorry Miroku," Kagome apologized.

"Don't be," Miroku consoled, his arm once again draping around Kagome's shoulders. "Now why are you here? I've heard that you have a new dependant to take care of."

"I'm here to ask you something."

"Ask away."

Kagome thought a moment, then steadied herself before asking "Why are you and Sango still angry with each other?"

Miroku sighed, then fully leaned back against the couch with his head lulled to the opposite side. "Is…Sango still upset?"

"She's miserable," Kagome confessed. "She tries to hide it, but it still shows. She misses you."

"Yeah…" Miroku sat up, bracing his elbows on his knees before returning his attention to the TV.

"Roki?" Kagome blinked, stunned at first, then angered by the sudden change. "Miroku? What's going on?"

"Nothing's going on," Miroku told her absently, his voice frigid and distant. "Sango canceled the wedding, of which I'm sure you know."

"Yeah, I know that but I don't know why. It's got to be more than just you groping some girl in public."

"Nope," Miroku countered quickly. "That's it. She canceled it, and I'm living with it."

"That's bull Roki. I want the truth."

"I'm sure you do." Miroku reached for the remote, blinking in confusion when the little black rectangle suddenly disappeared right in front of him. "What the…"

Kagome cleared her throat moments later, the missing remote firmly planted in her hands. "Now that I have your attention-"

"It's none of your business Kagome."

Kagome's eyes widened, then narrowed angrily. "If course it's my business! I can't just watch as you two ignore each other! My cousin and my best friend are hurting, and I want to know why!"

"I said it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!" Miroku jumped to his feet and leaned over her, quickly pinning her eyes with his as they glared down at her. "So if that's what you're here to talk about, then you can go home because I don't want to hear it!"

Kagome shoved him back and away from her, watching as he stumbled and fell into a nearby recliner. "What is wrong with you?" she demanded heatedly, her finger repeatedly jamming itself into his shoulder blade. "You've never acted like this! What's your problem? I thought you loved Sango!"

"Damn it Kagome; you just love browbeating people, don't you…" Miroku sat up fully, his enraged expression softening the instant he registered the hurt in Kagome's tearful eyes. "Look…I'm…" He sighed deeply, then rubbed the middle of his forehead with his index finger before looking away from her.

"Sango finally saw what I really am…"

"Huh?" Kagome muttered instantly. "What are you talking about?"

Miroku sighed again, his eyes closing as if the very act drained him of his will. "Do you remember when I first proposed to Sango?"

"You mean sixth grade?" Kagome kidded, then nodded solemnly when Miroku frowned at her. "It was a couple of months ago, wasn't it?"

"Eight months, one week and three days to be exact," Miroku corrected her. "I called my dad the next day and told him. Do you know what he said?"

"Um…" Kagome stammered, then shook her head. "No. You never told me."

"Mom was thrilled, but Dad-" Miroku snorted angrily, his nostrils flaring slightly as his hands fisted in his lap. "The only thing he said was 'How do you expect to make her happy without a career?'"

"But Roki, you do have a career," Kagome disagreed. "You're paintings and sculptures are beautiful."

"But no one's buying them," Miroku argued, then slumped over and hung his head. "I'm a hotel desk clerk. I barely make enough to feed myself."

"But Miroku-"

"I got to thinking about what Dad said and I realized something. He's right. My art isn't a dependable source of income, so Sango would have to work to keep us afloat. That's not fair for her."

"But Roki-"

"The more I thought about it, the more I realized that Sango needed someone to take care of her, to provide for her. She deserves someone that can do so much more for her, who can at least help her save for the car she wants.

"And that's not me," Miroku sighed despondently. "So I helped Sango see that she deserves better than me. I…I set her free."

"I don't understand," Kagome told him. She rested a comforting hand on his shoulder, gently smiling when he gave her an absent pat. "But I'm sure Sango doesn't feel that way."

"No, she doesn't, but someday she would've. I just sped up the process."

"Sped up the process?" Kagome repeated, her confusion momentarily fluttering over her face. Momentarily confusion gave way to understanding seconds later, and the hand on Miroku's shoulder became tighter. "You…dumped her, didn't you?"

"I saw no reason to drag her through it anymore."

"Through what?" Kagome growled, her hand tightening once again. "Did you even tell her what Uncle Yukio said?"

"What difference would it have made? She would have agreed with him eventually." Miroku tenderly pried Kagome's hand from his shoulder and stood, reaching down to pat her head before moving toward the living room entrance and the hallway. He turned to her in the middle of the threshold, the downtrodden, dejected look in his eyes stealing her breath away. "I'm going to take a shower. It was great talking to you Kagome."

"But what about Sango!" Kagome cried as she jumped from her seat. "She loves you Miroku."

"Yeah well," he muttered sadly, then sighed to himself. "We'll both just have to get over that, won't we?"

He walked away without another word, leaving Kagome speechless in the middle of the room.

****

"It was awful," Kagome bemoaned to Souta an hour later. She left soon after her conversation with Miroku, assuring her mother that she would indeed bring Chance with her the next time she visited before climbing down the shrine steps and traveling home. Ten minutes after walking through the front door (and sidestepping Mr. Naraku before doing so) found Kagome stretched lazily along her couch, with Souta shaking his head on the love seat across from her. Sesshoumaru lay on one of his many pallets at Kagome's feet, his eyes blissfully closed as Kagome idly scratched behind his ears. "He sounded so sad."

"I'm sure he was," Souta replied thoughtfully. "After all, he and Sango have been an item since what? Third grade?"

"Third grade for you, yeah," Kagome nodded, momentarily rubbing her thumb over the smudged marking on Sesshoumaru's forehead before returning to his ears. "I know he loves her, and he thinks he doing her a favor, but he's hurting her and himself."

'Humans and their infernal dramas,' Sesshoumaru purred happily under Kagome's attentions. 'So much like the 'soap operas' on the 'television' devices they spend so much time in front of.'

"Yeah, but they're both too stubborn to try to settle things themselves." An evil grin spread across Souta's face, his eyes lighting with mischief as Kagome and Sesshoumaru looked on. "Wouldn't it be great if we could lock them in something and keep them there until they solve this?" Sesshoumaru and Souta both grinned openly, somehow having the same vision of Sango and Miroku (though Sesshoumaru had never seen the guy) locked inside a metal gray box about the size of a locker with little vents for air.

'Well, that's the first interesting idea I've heard all day,' Sesshoumaru mused to himself. Kagome frowned at the both of them; as if she could sense their thoughts, then paused before a bright smile spread along her lips.

"That's it…" she whispered to herself, then jumped up and gave Souta a loud, wet kiss on the forehead before scampering out of the room.

"EWWWWWW!!!!" he immediately shouted, desperately wiping at his forehead. "Kagome germs!!!!"

Sesshoumaru snorted, but lightly padded along with Souta behind Kagome as she practically danced into the kitchen.

"What's it? What are you planning Kagome?"

Kagome dropped the phone book on the island counter for an answer, gesturing to it as if it contained the mysteries to life itself. Souta and Sesshoumaru (who's front paws were on the counter at the time) blinked, then blinked again before Souta shrugged.

"I don't get it."

Kagome huffed impatiently, then brushed it off as she began to frantically search the bright yellow pages inside. "You're right. We should lock them up somewhere, and make them stay until they talk to each other."

"Um Kagome," Souta muttered, worry and confusion etched in his tone. "You do know that I was just kidding, right? And that's illegal to lock people up against their will?"

"Yeah-yeah-yeah," Kagome waved the fact aside, stopping a moment to point at a certain page.

"Kagome, are you listenin-"

"Now this is what we're going to do," Kagome interrupted. She bounced from one foot to another in her excitement, something that worried the males in her presence.

'Well,' Sesshoumaru mused as he released the counter and left the room. 'It was only a matter of time before she cracked.'

"Hey Chance!" Souta called over Kagome's eager chatter. "Don't leave me in here man! Kagome, calm down! You're scary like this!"

****

Sesshoumaru walked over to his food bowl, peered over the edge of it and mentally scowled. 'She is late,' he growled softly, then glared over his shoulder. Kagome sat in a stool at the island, the phone book open to her searching fingers as she once again began dialing.

"Hello? Yes, I'm wondering about reservations."

'This is the second day,' Sesshoumaru griped irritably. 'You would think she would give up on this by now.'

'Perhaps you admire her determination…'

Sesshoumaru snorted indignantly. 'Not bloody likely.'

'I think you're curious. Would she be that loyal, and go through such trouble, for you?'

'I don't care,' Sesshoumaru commented dryly. 'But she is neglecting her rightful duties.'

'Do you mean feeding you? Are you hungry Sesshoumaru-sama?' Kikyou's voice jeered. 'Why not ask for something to eat?'

'Are you presuming that I beg this lowly creature?' Sesshoumaru growled, his irritation growing with Kikyou's laughter.

'I haven't presumed a thing. You don't have to beg. Just remind her. I'm sure she forgot.'

'I suppose that could be correct,' Sesshoumaru reasoned as he moved toward Kagome. 'After all, she is rather forgetful.'

"Really? Well, I'm sure that'll do nicely. Yes, I need both Friday and Saturday nights. Thank you." Kagome hung up, and was turning another page when she felt something furry touch her knee.

"Oh, hi Chance," she said, smiling brightly at Sesshoumaru. She patted his paw, then resumed her searching. Sesshoumaru huffed in frustration, then shook her knee.

"Do you want something?" Kagome finally asked after a moment. Sesshoumaru released her knee and padded over to his bowl, glaring at it, then her and back again. "Oh crap!" Kagome exclaimed after a moment. "I forgot to feed you! I'm sorry Chance!"

Kagome jumped down from her seat and opened the refrigerator door, digging around the cramped insides for Sesshoumaru's food. She found the little blue Tupperware dish moments later, then tossed the entire container into the microwave.

"I'm so sorry Chance," she apologized again. Sesshoumaru merely stood and watched the microwave, intent on ignoring the offensive girl until she touched his ears. 'It's not fair,' he sighed blissfully, his ears swiveling toward her fingers encouragingly. 'I should have some sort of power over her. She should not get off so easy.'

"I've been really busy this week haven't I?" Kagome cooed remorsefully. "I'm really sorry about that. I'm trying to get two people that mean a lot to me to stop acting silly and…I'm not making sense, am I?"

'When do you?' Sesshoumaru commented, his head tilting slightly to the right. He nudged Kagome's hand when she stopped, his ears flickering at her giggle when she continued.

"Alright, you impatient thing you!" She kneeled before him, taking a moment to stare into his heavy-lidded eyes before hugging him. "You know Chance, you're pretty handy to have around sometimes."

'Isn't it nice to be needed?'

'Quiet woman,' Sesshoumaru ordered. 'This Sesshoumaru has heard enough from you for one evening.'

The microwave beeped into submission, startling Kagome into jumping backward and away from Sesshoumaru.

"Nervous little thing, isn't she…"

Kagome blinked, then looked around a moment. "What the…what was that?" She stood up warily, listening to the house around her before giving a tired chuckle. "I'm loosing my mind…"

'What was you're first clue?' Sesshoumaru quipped, then gestured to the microwave. Kagome opened it and the warm container inside, fished into a nearby drawer for a spoon, and shoveled some of the contents into Sesshoumaru's bowl.

"Food first,' she whispered to herself. She placed the now-empty container into the sink, then ran some cold water into a cup. "Then water." She filled the water bowl beside Sesshoumaru's food bowl, then sat back on her stool and watched him eat.

"You want to hear something interesting?"

Sesshoumaru snorted, but otherwise continued to dine as Kagome sighed.

"I keep hearing this voice…"

'First sign that you're loosing your mind.'

"It's a guy, and I feel like I've heard him before."

'Or maybe you just need to get…never mind. I'll not think on that.'

'Maybe the idea of another man touching her bothers you…And maybe it's you that needs to get…'

'Of course it bothers me,' Sesshoumaru answered, deciding to ignore her last comment. 'How am I to protect her then?'

'I wasn't talking about protecting her…'

"I heard him when you were first injured."

'Where is your virtue miko?'

'Dead, like the rest of me.'

"And I heard him just now. I think he called me nervous," Kagome said more to herself. "Yes, he called me a nervous little thing. Weird huh?" She patted Sesshoumaru's head, taking ill notice of how still the pooch seemed to have become as she walked out of the room. "I'm going to bed Chance. Tomorrow's a big day. Be sure to get some sleep."

Sesshoumaru stood, his nose still above the food dish as one thought passed between he and his constant companion.

'She heard me… but how…'

~

"It has to be some sort of side effect of the spell," Kikyou concluded in the dream world. "That's the only thing I can think of."

"Otherwise known as you don't know," Sesshoumaru quipped dryly. "Figures."

"Hey, I don't hear you spouting any ideas!" Kikyou accused with an angry glare.

"It is not my duty to know your spell. You cast it, so you should know what it entails."

"Yeah, but I was mad when I cast it!" Kikyou argued back. "So I'm not entirely sure what…" she gulped at Sesshoumaru's glare, watching as yellow eyes became pale "It will…" he began to growl, and Kikyou took a futile step backward "Do…Wait Sesshou-"

Sesshoumaru pounced on her instantly, knocking her to the ground and ripping her heart from her chest before tearing her head from her shoulders. He sank his teeth into the still pumping organ as Kikyou's head rolled toward him.

"That hurts you know!" the head shouted angrily, her cinnamon eyes glaring at his. Sesshoumaru quirked an indifferent brow, then continued to lap at the spilled blood as Kikyou squawked in outrage.

"Get off me you pervert!"

"Why should I?" Sesshoumaru growled pleasantly. "You're the one who said I needed some…pleasuring, miko. You are the only prey around."

"I didn't mean me, and I didn't mean hunting you baka youkai!" Kikyou screeched, grinning when Sesshoumaru winced at the sound. "I can do this all day you know."

"Fine," Sesshoumaru sighed. He rolled to his feet and watched as Kikyou pieced herself together, the heart in his hands disappearing back to her chest before bone and tissue stitched itself together. Her head returned to her neck, the wound he created closing with a crimson flash.

"If you keep this up," Kikyou began as she stood up and brushed herself off. "I'm afraid you won't get into Heaven."

"Who said I wanted Heaven?" Sesshoumaru replied with a smirk. "You deserved that by the way. How could you not know your own spell?"

"Because you pissed me off!" Kikyou accused. "Or do you remember?"

"I remember. I still think you overreacted."

"You would." She turned her back to him, her arms folded over her chest before glaring over her shoulder at him. "Anyway, I was upset. I just wanted to punish you. The spell should work around the guidelines but-"

"You have no real way of knowing what the spell will do," Sesshoumaru finished for her, then gave an uncharacteristic groan when she nodded. "Great miko. Just great."

"But I'm sure it can't get any worse," Kikyou defended as Sesshoumaru crossed his left arm over his chest, propped his right elbow onto it and rubbed the middle of his forehead with his right index finger.

"You would say that. "

"You're too dramatic," Kikyou dismissed with a wave of her hand.

"You would say that too."

"Uh-oh," Kikyou bemoaned as the sky lightened above them. "It's almost time to go."

"Kikyou?"

Kikyou turned around. "Yes Sesshoumaru-sama?"

~

Sesshoumaru woke up with a grin, the vivid memory of Kikyou's face as her head rolled, once again, to the forest floor fresh in his mind's eye.

****

"OK Sango, this is the place," Kagome said as she opened the hotel room door. Sango stepped inside, marveling at the beauty of the English style room.

"Wow Kagome! How did you spring for this?" she gaped as she admired her surroundings. Kagome shrugged. "Oh, it's just a little something I've saved up. Now stay here until I get back OK?"

"Sure," Sango agreed absently, her fingers dancing along the heavy linen drapes framing the outer window. Kagome slipped quietly out the door, leaving Sango to wander the room by herself. She stood in the middle of what she guessed was the sitting room, gazing at the gold embroidered chaise lounges and matching lamps.

Sango moved from the sitting room to the bedroom, happily tossing herself onto the luxurious queen-sized bed with a sigh. "This is the life," she said to herself, turning onto her side to glance around her. On the far left wall were two doors. Her curiosity piqued, Sango stood and opened the first door. 'Hm,' she said to herself as she glanced around. 'Just a bathroom.'

She turned to the second door just as it swung open.

"Sango!"

"Miroku?" They both stared at each other, then Souta appeared behind Miroku.

"So good to see you Sango," Souta chirped with a wave of his hand. "Now if you two will excuse me-" he shoved Miroku through the door, unknowingly knocking him into Sango; both tumbling to the floor as Souta shut the door behind him. "Have fun you two!"

After untangling a few limbs, a few muttered curses and some hits passed, Miroku finally stood up. He extended his hand to Sango, who promptly ignored her and stood on her own. "What was that about?"

"I don't know," Miroku replied as a folded piece of paper slipped through the crack in the door. "But I'm almost afraid to find out."

Sango noticed his gaze, and followed it to the paper. She leaned over and picked it up, then unfolded it and began to read. She visibly paled, her breath coming out in a shaky whisper as she hissed

"I'm going to kill her…"

"What is it?" Sango handed Miroku the note, watching his expression as he began to read.

To Miroku and Sango:

We-

That's me, Kagaromaru and Souta

Feel that you two have avoided each other long enough. We've watched you two paw all over each other since middle school, and we just wanted to celebrate that kind of love by a getaway.

Kagome takes too long. What she's trying to say is that Souta, she and I have decided that you two are to stay in there for the weekend and work out your problems. Don't worry about your car Miroku. It will be here Sunday morning. Room service has been provided, and your bags will be delivered by room service tomorrow morning. Have a great time on us, and press play on the CD player in the sitting room.

Love always

Kagome, Kagaromaru, and Souta

"I should call the police and report my car stolen," Miroku grumbled as he crumpled the note.

"I'm calling a cab," Sango announced suddenly, only to gape at the phone. "What the hell?" Miroku looked at the phone, then the missing cord before chuckling at the irony of it all. "What's so funny?" Sango demanded.

"Nothing Sango. It just seems like we're stuck here, that's all."

"Jee Sherlock," Sango grumbled. "What was your first clue? Well, what do you suppose we do?"

"Since they're hell bent on us staying here, why don't we just try to enjoy ourselves?" Miroku suggested helpfully. He moved into the sitting room, scanning the walls for the CD player. He found it next to the bedroom door, a wall mounted stereo system with speakers embedded in the walls.

"hmmmm….here it is." Miroku pressed play, then glanced over to Sango as she watched him from the bedroom door threshold.

~God knows that you're a sexy thang. It's taking everything in me not to kiss you over under. Feel your inside feel my thunder. How the hell could I not want you?~

"Our song," Sango said wistfully, a whimsical smile on her lips as her head leaned against the frame. "Do you remember this Miroku?"

"Yes, I do." He smiled sheepishly, nervously scratching the back of his head. "It took all night to get the courage to ask you to dance with me. When this song came on, all my friends pushed me toward you…"

"Yeah." Sango chuckled lightly, then shook her head. "You never were very brave."

~These are the times we all wish for; the moment with less means so much more. We don't have to do a thing at all. We can take our time and talk and this is the way things need to be. No pressure from you and none from me. Just let the mood set the moment off. We can make love or not at all.~

"Yeah well," Miroku shrugged. "You weren't exactly gentle about it either. I remember the beatings you used to give me."

"Because you're hands were always someplace they shouldn't have been!" Sango quipped back, then giggled again and smiled. "I'm glad you finally asked me."

Miroku smiled back, then reached over and entwined his fingers with hers. "Me too."

~Been thinking bout you all the time. Morning noon and supper time. Tear you up in little pieces.
Swallow you like Reeses pieces. Come on girl you know I need it. (I know) It ain't suppose to be a thing
(I know) I'll wait for you, you wait for me. (And I know) Cuz true love's insisting we don't have to rush at all.~

"Then why'd you dump me?" Sango whispered. Her hand slipped from his, and she walked past him to the couches without a backward glance. She sat down heavily, her head in her hands as she whispered "What's so bad about me, that you don't want to be with me anymore?"

"That's not it at all," Miroku replied gently, sitting down beside her and wrapping an arm about her shoulders. "I'm just-"

"Just what!" Sango exclaimed angrily. She flicked his arm off of her, then stood up and over him. "You just proposed to me until you got a better offer!"

"No, that's not it!"

"Then what is it?!" Sango demanded. "Because I'm confused!"

"It's …it's…forget it." Miroku stood, then gawked when Sango shoved him back to the lounge. "What was that for?"

"You're not leaving until I get an answer," Sango growled. She planted her fists on her hips, tapped her left foot and said "I'm waiting."

"It's not important," Miroku grumbled.

"Not important! To who? You?" Sango's voice softened, dropping an octave as she took a deep, cleansing breath. "It matters to me. I thought you were happy with me-"

"I was."

"I thought you loved me-"

"I do…"

"Then why are you doing this!" she sobbed, stepping back when Miroku stood up again. "This doesn't make any sense! If you love me, and you're happy with me, then why aren't you with me?!!"

"See," Miroku replied, and then reached for her. Sango stepped to the side and away from him, effectively avoiding his hands. He tried again, this time managing to grab her wrist. He jerked her toward him, using her sudden loss of equilibrium to tighten his arms around her and hold her still. "This is what I didn't want," he whispered as she pounded on his chest. "I didn't want you to cry."

"What did you think I'd do you jerk?" she hissed angrily.

"I'm going to bruise if you don't stop."

"You'd deserve every one of them."

Miroku chuckled darkly, nodding his head in agreement. "Yeah, I guess I do. But what I don't deserve is you."

Sango's fists stopped mid blow, her eyes blinking furiously as she stared up at him. "Huh?"

"I'm what's wrong. I don't deserve someone like you."

Sango thought a moment, then said "And I thought I was confused before…"

Miroku pressed a gentle kiss to her temple, then began to absently play with her hair. "I wouldn't be able to take care of you if we got married Sango. I can barely take care of myself now."

"What are you talking about?" Sango mumbled. "I'm still not getting it."

Miroku sighed. "You need someone with money, someone that can take care of you. Someone that can buy you nice things, get you the car you need, be able to afford nice hotel rooms like this. I can't do it, at least not until my art picks up. It may never pick up, so it's unfair of me to ask you to sit around and wait."

Sango sniffed. "You're so stupid sometimes."

Now it was Miroku's turn to be confused. "Huh?"

"Did I ask you to take care of me?" Sango began.

"Well, no but-"

"Did I ask you to make a lot of money?"

"No, but-"

"Have I ever asked you to be anything more than what you are?"

Miroku shook his head. "No, I guess not."

"You know not. You know what? I don't even care where you got the idea from, but let's get a few things straight." Sango grabbed his face and tipped it toward her. "I don't care how much money you have. I don't care that you don't have some high level job. All I care about is you. I know that to love you is to love your dream too and I'm willing to do that. Can you stop making choices for me and ask me?"

"Alright then Sango," Miroku replied. "How do you feel about me?"

"I love you, even thought right now you're acting like a dumbass."

Miroku chuckled as he hugged her tighter, his head shaking slightly against hers. "I should have known you'd say that."

"Then why did you ask?" Sango quipped as she returned the hug.

"I don't know. Can I ask another?"

Sango nodded. "Sure Roki. What is it?"

"Can I keep you?"

Sango giggled, then rolled her eyes as she nodded. "Sure Roki. Just so long as I get to keep you too."

----

SF: Awwww! You guys are so cute!

Sango: {::blushing::} I don't know about that.

Miroku: {::bowing::} You have my thanks, Guardian-san, for placing me in the same room as the lovely Sango. It is a memory that I will forever cherish.

SF: No problem. I've always wanted to see what you two would be like without people around.

Sango: It was a nice chapter-{::blinks, then socks Miroku in the eye::}

SF: 0.0 {::bursts out laughing::}

Kagome: What happened?

Sango: {::walking offstage::} nasty, lecherous houshi and his wandering hands…

Inu-chan: Well, Miroku did it again. {:pokes Miroku with his toe::} What do you have to say for yourself?

Miroku: {::splayed out on the floor::} @.@

Sesshou: How can you call yourself a servant of Buddha? The responses are below.

Silver Fox: And what's this? A full moon rises next week! You know what that means!

SF/Sesshou: Yeah/Yes…(grrrrrrrrr…)

Kagome: The next chapter, which comes out on April 19, is called 'Understanding You'.

Responses:

Yukari1: I'm so glad you said that! I was kinda worried about him doing that. Apparently, a lot of people thought it were really funny. Poor Kagome. Kagome's ex was some other jerk. Don't worry; there will be some fluff in the later chapters. I'm trying to determine the maximum amount of chapters before each new moon. It'll most likely be a random thing.

Tsuki no Tennyo, Anonymous, MyInuyasha04,, Skitzoflame, Kagome-Ann-Saturn, Noir12, DemonWicca1, Fire Kitsune Goddess, Talaroh, Jess16 and Cold-hearted Nightfox: Thanks a lot! I'm coming with another chapter shortly.

Rhexi: See, that's the thing. Kagome can't find out that Chance and Sesshoumaru are the same person. It's kinda like the spell cast on the prince in 'Beauty and the Beast'. If he lets anyone find out, he's stuck as a dog forever. That's why he ran so hard the night of the new moon. And no, I don't plan on Kagome falling for Chance. Her love for him is different than the love she'll develop for Sesshoumaru.

GeneralDuke: I hope so, because I have no idea where it's taking me. I just wait until the Little Muse whacks me upside the head with her little dog plushie, then I type whatever it is that strikes me. Thanks so much for the compliments and welcome to the archives.

Mingele: He's my fave too, and it hurt to do that to him. A lot of people want to beat on the tai, and I'm seriously debating letting you guys do it. I promise you, Sesshoumaru will pay up before he's forgiven. There have to be a few cracks in his armor before he can fully repent.

Laina Inerse: Exactly! Perhaps I should start charging admission and providing baseball bats...

VampireBunny: No problem. Thanks for the email address.

Tsuki Yume: Yeah, Sesshoumaru's a real trip but then again, when isn't he? Don't worry; he won't be the same Sesshoumaru as he is in 'TBW'. His human side makes him (gasp) a sort of approachable guy.

Ulna: No, I don't think she'll ever become useless either. However, I'm sure Sesshoumaru will appeal that decision till the end.

Lady of Chaos, Kickangel36, SugarCube, Suzuko, CutiePie99, Writerlover101, Rosie and Sesshoumaru13: Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like it! I'll update again soon!

Kagome: I'm definitely glad you're back. Where have you been?! Don't feel too bad about not liking R/S stories. I'm not fond of them either.

Haruka-Tsuki-Kou: The love is mutual my friend. Thanks for the review!

Dana Daidouji: For some reason, I can't make Kikyou do what I want her to do. I want her to be evil, but she ignores me. She doesn't ignore other authors. It's maddening! Oh, but I'm glad you like it. So sorry about the wait time. Hopefully, with 'UA' finished, I'll have time for this story and 'A Kiss' as well.

Nishigirl: Thanks for the fave list! I'm so honored! No problem about the rare reviews. It's all right. Thanks for the love!

White Deer: Um...I'm not entirely sure. I'm sure they won't appreciate it, so if I were you, I'd ask them.

SeungMina1991: Another Soul Caliber Fan! Great to see you! I would have been so embarrassed!!!! Poor Kagome! She's still pissed at me for doing that to her!

Tessa3: I don't know, but I'm glad you finally got the alert. Yeah, the only thing that time seems to take its time on is arrogance, or at least Sesshoumaru's.

Raine84: So sorry about the short chapter. Kagome and Inuyasha will meet, but not in this chapter. It's going to be a while before they see each other. Things have to happen between Kagome and Sesshoumaru, Kagome and Naraku, and Kagome and Kouga; and that's not including what should be going on with Miroku and Sango. Remember, they're supposed to be getting married sooner or later. Oh, and look to the next full moon for the answer to your other question.

Keito-chan: {::bows::} Thanks for the originality vote! I'm glad so many people like it; even though I was a tad worried about chapters 4, 5, and 6. I just knew that someone at Fanfiction would get their panties in a wad and freak, but that's not what happened at all. I'm rather glad for it too. This story was actually supposed to be in memory of my brother's friend's dog Chance, but it's spun itself into so much more. Thanks for the love, and the long review! I love long reviews!

NoLabel: You and I both. It just seemed to match his personality. Poor Kagome!

LtlSwimmerGurl: Hey! No Evil Sporks! They hinder the writing process. However, you could toss Sesshoumaru over here for an hour or two... ~.^

Reality: He really, truly is. Thanks for the review!

KitsuneOokami-chan: No problem! Glad you liked the update!

VTlarry: Well, Happy Birthday! Thanks for telling me, and for the review!

Nankinmai: Am I the first you've read in a while? If so, then welcome back. I've never actually been into Harry Potter, so I've never read any of the Fanfictions. Kagome's reaction actually favors a reaction a friend of mine had after one of her dates. Trust me, you do not want to hear the details of that, but it makes Kagome's date look mild. Guaranteed.

Allore NightShadow: Nope. I promise you, I didn't tell him. However, it is nice to see that you two have made arrangements, of a sort. I normally put a new schedule up on my bio page every week. If you ever need to know when I update, just check there.

Heikaru: You know what? Now I can't read that chapter without hearing that. Thanks so much. No really, because I never would have thought of that. Yup. Inu-chan gets zapped every once and a while, but the rest of the fellows do too. To Bear Witness is almost over! It just needs two to three more chapters!

Crystal Echoes: Yeah, I know. Mega disturbing, but maybe it could help our favorite inu youkai. You never know. The last chapter was a tad rushed because I attempted to stick to my update schedule and work at the same time. Normally there is a lot of detail, but I had to get to work! Hopefully this chapter and the next chapter make up for it.

InuyashaGurl: Here's to you getting out of that chair. {slips IG a pocketknife behind Fallen's back::} And shame on you for stuffing dirty socks inside other's mouths. I'm sure there's something cleaner that you could use. My computer is a piece of crap too, but I kick it and it behaves just fine.

Tessie-Fanfic: Thanks a lot!

PTBear: The next time Kagome meets Sesshoumaru, he'll come bearing 'Gifts' of a sort. You'll see what I mean. Thanks for the love, and another chapter's coming soon!

Tokia: Oh, I never said that Koga wouldn't be any competition. I just said that he wouldn't be much competition. See, Kagome sees a lot more of him than she does Sesshoumaru, and absence may not make her heart grow fonder if there's another. I guess we'll just have to see…

Aleena: I haven't seen M&C, but Silver has. He said it sucked, and we normally like the same movies so I took his word for it. Naraku will get his chance too. Um, it's still illegal for him to do that kind of thing, but I'll see what I can do about it.

Namesake: You poor dear...wait a minute! I've been on one like that too! Lord, I blocked out the memory! It was actually worse than Kagome's, because the guy at the other table and my date actually fought!!! Embarrassing!!!! Happy Sweet 16! I was lazy with the book too. My brother tried to help me, but he was only 14 at the time. Yup, I can but...I don't. I know! I should be ashamed! I should be out there, abusing my privilege like someone with some sense!

Katana-kun: I'm hoping to get to this one sooner too! I kinda expect to, with UA finished, but the other stories like to jockey for my attention. .... You're a guy? Cool!