InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ A Christmas to Remember ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Nope, don't own it. I'm pretty sure you guys know that by now.

This chapter is dedicated to Father Malvado, who's been having a sucky week (no pun intended). I couldn't pass up the chance to try to make your day dude.

Chapter Thirteen: A Christmas to Remember

He hated this time of month.

It was when he truly behaved like the inu he was, and followed whatever his nose was attracted to.

It was torture, plain and simple, but she didn't know that. She didn't realize that the smallest of movements seemed to send some sort of spicy charge through her scent, thus causing him to react as well. She didn't know what she was doing to him…

…and she wasn't even trying.

"Bleeding Saints Chance!" Kagome cried out as she tripped over him for the umpteenth time in the past few hours. "You would think I could avoid you, with you being completely white and all!" She laughed as she patted his head, rubbed his nose and walked toward the kitchen, leaving Sesshoumaru in a state of pure stupor before growling at himself.

'This is absolutely ridiculous,' Sesshoumaru snapped as he struggled to put distance between himself and Kagome. It seemed that his body and his brain had separate masters, for no matter how badly he wanted to stay away from her, his feet seemed to follow her anyway. 'I am acting like a jealous pup. Of course, the scent of another youkai on her person does not help. Perhaps I imagined it.'

The more he tried to convince himself of it, the less likely it would be. 'Why would I imagine such a thing? Maybe another youkai did try to mark her.' The very thought ripped a vicious growl from his throat before he could suppress it. Kagome looked back at him in concern.

"What's the matter boy?" she asked as she leaned over him. "Something troubling you." She gasped when his cold nose found its way underneath her shirt to her stomach, then gave in to his silent demanding as she sat down in front of him and petted him. "You're awfully affectionate lately," she remarked as she gently ruffled his ears. "Not that I mind, but I wonder what's causing this."

She shrugged, turned back to the kitchen counter and began sorting out various groceries inside a pair of brown paper bags.

"Let's see here," she said aloud as Sesshoumaru sat at her heels. "There's the ground pork, the nira, cabbage, garlic and ginger. I have the soya sauce and the other stuff already, so there's only …"

She mentally continued as she walked away from the counter to another and grabbed a bowl. She glanced down at Sesshoumaru, her blue eyes sparkling happily before he woofed.

"Would you like to know what I'm doing?" Kagome asked and grinned at his answer.

"Woof."

'No woman, I enjoy making this amount of noise for no reason.'

"I'll tell you then," Kagome smiled as she measured some of the contents on her counter and dropped them into a metallic bowl. "Every year for Christmas, myself and some of the others that come to Mom's house have to bring something, kinda like a pot luck. I always bring gyoza, but Sango, Miroku and Kagaromaru always bring something different. I wonder what they're bringing this year." She sighed merrily to herself as she continued mixing while Sesshoumaru looked on.

'Who knew she was so able-bodied in the kitchen?' Kikyou admired as Kagome covered the bowl and reached for something else. Sesshoumaru silently agreed, though he remembered plenty of times when Kagome would be standing in the kitchen doing the very thing she was doing now.

Sesshoumaru looked up when Kagome gasped, a look of complete panic and mortification. "Oh no," she groaned despondently. "I forgot the sake! Where is my mind lately?" Kagome quickly placed the smaller bowl into the refrigerator and rushed out of the kitchen to the living room.

"I'm so forgetful lately! It seems like my mind is everywhere and no where at once!" She reached inside the coat closet and pulled out a black bomber jacket, a black wool hat and her purse. "I'll be right back, ok Chance?"

Sesshoumaru said nothing as she left, merely sitting in place beside the couch as she walked out the door. He listened and waited as her engine started and she pulled out of the driveway to move. He walked up the stairs, past both Kagome's bedroom and the bedroom Souta used to sleep in before entering the third bedroom, the one Kagome used as an office. Sesshoumaru jumped into the large swivel chair and knocked the phone off the hook.

'This is the only phone in the house I can use,' he bemused as his claws tapped the larger than normal number pads. 'I cannot use my cell phone in this form either.'

'You complain too much,' Kikyou retorted as the line on the other end began to ring. 'And you still haven't told me what you're plan is.'

'Nor will I,' Sesshoumaru responded as the other line picked up.

"Hello?"

"Grrrrrr…."

"Hey! How are you?!" Inuyasha chirped from the other end. "Back in inu form I see." He laughed when Sesshoumaru growled again, this time the sound a little more guttural than the last. "Alright, alright. I'm sorry. What can I do for you?"

Sesshoumaru cast a cautious ear to the rest of the house, listening to the empty silence for a few seconds before leaning over the turned over receiver and explaining.

<>

'Just great Kagome,' Kagome grumbled to herself as she waded through the crowds of people inside the supermarket. 'You pick Christmas Eve to try to find a bottle of sake. Just great.' She groaned when she finally reached the sauces aisle, her worst fear come true as she stared at the empty display.

'I just knew the sake would be gone. Oh well.' Kagome stood on her tiptoes and reached for the top shelf. 'I guess cooking sherry will have to do.' She frowned when her fingertips grazed the bottle's label, inwardly lamenting her shortness and was beginning to stand on the bottom shelf when a calloused hand wrapped around the bottle's neck and lowered it to her line of vision.

"Thanks," Kagome replied gratefully as she turned to the Good Samaritan. "How can I thank you?"

"You can wish me a Merry Christmas for one, Kagome," Kouga said with a smile. Kagome smiled back, though hers wasn't as bright and sunny as she dropped the sherry bottle into her basket.

"Hi Kouga. How are you?"

"I'm pretty good," he answered as he followed her off the aisle and onto another one. "Just wrapped up in the Christmas spirit. And you?"

"Searching for a decent cake to take to my mother's," Kagome replied as she critically eyed a pound cake.

"This one looks good," Kouga offered as he pointed to a white cake with light blue flowers. Kagome smiled to herself as she shook her head, remembering the last time she had a cake with the same pretty frosting. "No, I don't think that one will do," Kagome replied wistfully before moving on to another cake.

Kouga nodded and swept a hand through his hair. "Um, so your going to your mother's too right? Me too. My mother swears I work too hard."

"Mine too," Kagome agreed as she finally picked up a German chocolate with coconut frosting. "But if we don't work hard, then who will?"

"Yeah, you're right about that," Kouga replied with a nervous laugh. "Say, Kagome…" Kagome stopped to look at him, her gaze expectant as he stumbled over words. "Um, I was wondering if, you know, you and I could get together again. Like, another date or something."

Kagome immediately began chewing on her bottom lip, the nervous impulse going unnoticed by her. "I don't know Kouga. I don't think we should."

"I really blew it the last time, didn't I?"

Kagome smiled apologetically. "I wouldn't say that-"

"But I would. I'm really sorry if I embarrassed you."

"It's not that. It's just that-"

"I made a really bad first impression." Kouga moved to stand beside her in the check-out line and shrugged. "I'm sorry about that. I was nervous, and I tend to be kinda mean when I'm nervous."

"Oh, ok then. But-"

"But no worries. I understand. Can we still be friends though?"

Kagome thought about it for a moment, then smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I'd like that."

"Me too. And you never know," he said as the line moved forward. "You might come to like me yet."

<>

"Chance!" Kagome glanced around the living room as she stepped inside. "Chance, where are you?"

After a few minutes (and what sounded like a click) later, Sesshoumaru finally bounded down the steps toward her. He paused a few inches away from her, his nose twitching rapidly before growling and walking past her.

"What was that for?" Kagome called after him as Sesshoumaru walked off in a huff. "Hey! I'm talking to you!"

Kagome shrugged and rolled her eyes, chalking it up to something dogs go through as she walked behind him to the kitchen and unloaded her shopping bag. She retrieved the plastic bowl from the refrigerator and finished her filling, then stretched out her hands and yawned. "I'm tired. Are you tired Chance?"

Sesshoumaru turned his head away from her, his mood still foul. Kagome 'hm'ed in irritation. "Fine, be that way. I'm going to take a bath. I'll finish in the morning." She shot Sesshoumaru a cross look, one he returned with frigid yellow eyes before turning his head away from her again.

Kagome shook her head and left Sesshoumaru alone in the kitchen. Sesshoumaru waited until he heard water running, instantly recognizing the difference between the light sprinkling the shower made and the heavier sound being produced now.

'My word Sesshoumaru,' Kikyou said with a tisk. 'I never thought I'd see the day.'

'You don't actually see, miko. Just what do you mean?'

'You're behaving like a spoiled pup,' Kikyou said, and somewhere inside his head he could see her shaking hers in disappointment. 'Shame on you. You're a taiyoukai for goodness sakes.'

'I can behave any way I wish to, and I suggest you hold your tongue.'

'Or what? You'll kill me?' Kikyou laughed merrily, something that soured Sesshoumaru's already dark mood. 'You've done that already. Oh come on Sesshoumaru. So you smelled another guy on her, so what? Is it that big a deal?'

'No, it is not,' Sesshoumaru growled, though deep inside he knew he was lying. It may not have been a big deal if he didn't know the scent, but the instant he caught it he recognized it as the scent of the human she had such an 'embarrassing' time with. 'But she is a hypocrite.'

'What? How?'

'She made as if she didn't wish to see that human again, yet she comes back smelling like him. Disgraceful.'

'Did you ever stop to think that maybe she saw him in the store and they just talked?' Kikyou reasoned. 'I mean, it is Christmas and there are a lot of people around. So what if you caught his scent. I'm pretty sure there're others too. There are crowds everywhere this time of year, and you can't help but brush into people.'

Sesshoumaru pondered over this for a few seconds, then shrugged. 'It does not matter.'

'Sure it matters! You're mad at her for something she couldn't help! You should apologize.'

Sesshoumaru's ear quirked at the sound of sloshing water, a sign that Kagome was either getting in or getting out of the tub. 'I do not apologize. You of all people should know this.'

'Fine, don't apologize. See if I care,' Kikyou said with a huff. 'But you know you're wrong.'

Sesshoumaru sighed to himself, then stood up and trudged up the steps. 'What would it hurt to at least see after her?' he asked himself as he entered the master bedroom. He stretched himself in the threshold of the master bath and closed his eyes, allowing the scent of Kagome's vanilla bubble bath to calm his nerves until she noticed him.

<>

Inuyasha glanced down at the phone in his hand, his amber eyes glowing merrily as he recalled his brother's orders. 'Hmm…I wonder if all of this is for that fox he's staying with. Well, it is my duty to help him.' The grin on his face turned mischievous and he twirled his finger around the cord of the telephone as he leaned back in his chair.

'Yes, I think I will help. This needs a personal touch after all. Where would Aniki be without me?'

<>

Christmas morning found Kagome at a rush as she scrambled to do a zillion things at once. Sesshoumaru watched in amusement as she finished her gyoza, attempted to dress, fill his backpack and fish around for the black duffle bag she used earlier in the week.

"Where did it go?" Kagome grumbled to herself as she dug around the bottom of the closet. Sesshoumaru ducked as an umbrella whizzed past his head, then wisely decided to watch from a safer distance, and the area in front of the fireplace seemed like a good place to be.

"I can't believe it! It just disappeare-Oh yeah! Now I remember!" Kagome dug her keys out of her purse and ran outside in nothing but her nightgown.

Sesshoumaru snickered to himself and counted. 'Five…four…three…two…-'

"Oh my God!" Kagome exclaimed as she burst back inside. She slammed the door closed and shivered against it, the open back of her nightgown pressed to the frigid wood. "I can NOT believe I did that!" She grabbed an oversized sweatshirt draped over the arm of the couch, jerked it over her head and rushed back outside.

Sesshoumaru shook his head in amusement and left the living room for the kitchen and his breakfast. 'Silly human. Always running as if the Devil himself were after her.'

'I can't believe you're laughing,' Kikyou mused. 'This is the first time I've heard you.'

Sesshoumaru snorted lightly. 'I am not the somber youkai you make me out to be.'

'You're right of course. You're just bloodthirsty and arrogant.'

'And things would go better for you if you would just remember that.'

'Sure Sesshoumaru,' Kikyou appeased wryly. 'If you say so. You know, I think she's growing on you.'

'Gods, I hope not.'

'I'm serious,' Kikyou scolded disapprovingly. 'I think you like her more than you did when you first met.'

'Of course I do,' Sesshoumaru admitted as Kagome rushed into the kitchen. 'I was on painkillers then.'

'You're a jerk.'

'I do try.'

"Crap," Kagome grumbled as she stumbled into the kitchen. To Sesshoumaru's ever growing amusement, she was half-dressed, wearing a pair of jeans and snow boots with a white sweater hanging around her neck. She shoved her arms into the sleeves and tugged it down before patting Sesshoumaru's head. "How are you buddy? Almost ready to go?"

"Woof."

"Great! Then let me just gather up a few things."

They were ready to go thirty minutes later, with Sesshoumaru's yellow backpack securely strapped to Kagome's back, the black duffel bag with everyone's presents on her right arm, and a large container with Kagome's dinner contribution in her left hand. Sesshoumaru smoldered at her feet, his good mood shattered with the application of the yellow doggie snow shoes on his feet. His earlier attempt to shake them off proved fruitless, and though they were soft and warm he still resented them.

"You only have to wear them for a few minutes," Kagome told him as she opened the door and held it open so Sesshoumaru could get through. Sesshoumaru paused on the porch while Kagome locked the door, his gaze on the winter wonderland ahead of him. Everything was covered in a crystal blanket of snow, leaving the normally bland urban landscape with a beautiful, almost ethereal glow.

The car ride across town was silent, with both Kagome and Sesshoumaru deep in thought. "I can't wait for you to meet Mom," Kagome tossed over her shoulder as Sesshoumaru rested his head on his paws. "I know she's going to love you."

'She has a big spot for dogs,' Kagome thought to herself as she paused at a red light. 'I wonder what Miroku and Sango are bringing and if Miroku's parents will be there. I know Sango's dad and brother are coming, and Kagaromaru and his baby brother will be there too.' Her thoughts shifted suddenly, and she couldn't help the wistful sigh that escaped her mouth.

"I wonder what Sesshoumaru's doing…"

Sesshoumaru lifted his head instantly.

"I hope he has some time to spend with his family. It wouldn't be right to have to spend Christmas alone."

'I've always been alone,' Sesshoumaru thought with a sleepy yawn. 'It isn't a big deal.' He returned his head to his paws, closed his eyes and went to sleep.

_._

Sesshoumaru glanced around his dreamscape, somehow feeling as if something was different despite the familiar landscape. The forest, the flowers, even the well in the center of the flora was the same as it always was. Sesshoumaru pondered it a moment more, then smiled.

"Yes, that's it. That blasted miko isn't here to talk my ear off."

"Sesshoumaru!"

Sesshoumaru turned back to the well just as a dark head emerged from it's depths. "So much for that." He casually made his way toward the well and Kikyou, only to stop mid-step when she threw her leg over the well's lip. 'Wait a moment,' he realized as the panty-hose clad leg finally found it's footing. 'When did the miko start wearing those?'

The leg seemed to shift as an arm grasped the ledge, pulling into Sesshoumaru's view someone dressed in a pastel pink skirt suit. 'Kikyou is trying to trick me,' Sesshoumaru determined as he grasped her wrist and jerked her up. A gasp sounded from her before she looked up, and surprised blue-gray eyes stared back into his.

"Kagome?"

"Duh," she grumbled as Sesshoumaru set her down. "Who did you think it was?"

"W-what are you doing here?" he stuttered as he backed away from her. Kagome dropped the pink pumps in her hand, poked at them with her foot until they stood upright and put them on as he stood there flabbergasted.

"I'm not entirely sure," Kagome admitted. "I think you wanted me to be here."

"I've wanted many things, and they have yet to come true," Sesshoumaru admitted as a stray wind brushed past them. Silver strands were brushed over his shoulder to flutter ahead of him, the tips dancing across Kagome's cheeks as he looked on.

"You're so silly Sesshoumaru," she laughed as she brushed his hair away from her face. "Don't you want me here, or are you looking for someone else?"

That question seemed to raise the red flags for Sesshoumaru, as his eyes narrowed and his claws lengthened. "Kikyou…I'm not in the mood for your games."

"Who's Kikyou?" Kagome innocently asked before brushing past him to look at the forest surrounding them. "Wow, this place is gorgeous. No wonder you sleep so much."

Sesshoumaru watched as she kneeled down to look at one of the many flowers, her very reaction to such a thing made him rethink his earlier assumption. "You really are not Kikyou, are you?"

"I don't know who Kikyou is," Kagome said as she turned to face him. "But no, I'm not her."

"Then what are you doing here?"

Kagome dusted off her hands and stood up. "Like I said earlier, it might be because you want me here."

Sesshoumaru nodded in acceptance, though his confusion still reigned.

"So," Kagome began as she looked around one last time. "What do you normally do here?"

"Um…" For some odd reason, he couldn't think of a thing to say. Without Kikyou there to tease and torment him, he suddenly felt a little…

Lost…

"I know!" Kagome suddenly chirped. "How about a run? I bet you can't catch me!" She darted off without another word. Sesshoumaru was only too happy to chase her, his inner predator finally unleashing itself as he followed the sounds of her footsteps as she ran through the forest. He felt as if he were always one step behind her, with only flashes of pink or a light tinkling of her laughter to guide him through the mostly silent forest.

Sesshoumaru burst headlong into a meadow, the sudden light surprising him into stopping. He watched as Kagome ran ahead, her once pinned up hair askew as she sprinted along. Sesshoumaru watched her a moment more, then leapt into the air. He sailed over her head and silently landed in front of her just as Kagome glanced over her shoulder for him. She crashed into him, and in an attempt to keep her from falling backward ended with them in a familiar position.

"Doesn't this remind you of the first night we met?" Kagome asked as she brushed a strand of her hair out of Sesshoumaru's eyes. Sesshoumaru grumbled something unintelligible.

"What was that?"

"I'm going to have grass stains all over my back," he bemoaned. Kagome sat up and laughed at him before she straddled his waist and folded her arms over his chest. "You're forgetting," she whispered as she tapped the tip of his nose. "This is only a dream."

"Really?" he mused as slid his hand up her arm to her shoulder. "Then why does it feel so real?"

"I don't know. Maybe everything's real, in a sense. Besides," her gaze lowered from his eyes to his lips. "There are ways to test that theory."

"Hm," he muttered softly as he cupped the back of her head and pulled her face closer to his. "And just how would you like to test it?"

-.-

"Chance?"

Sesshoumaru opened bleary eyes, then stretched as the voice called him again.

"Chance, come on boy! Let's go!"

Sesshoumaru yawned widely and stepped out the car, his rubber boots making a slight squishing sound on the slushy pavement below. He gaped up at the mountain of concrete steps leading up the to the shrine above, and was only brought out of his reverie by Kikyou's gasp.

'Sesshoumaru! Are you there?'

'Where else would I be?' Sesshoumaru growled as he followed Kagome up the steps. Kagome muttered something about the steps being clean, but he paid it no mind as Kikyou sighed in relief.

'Whew. I thought I lost you there,' she breathed dramatically. 'Where'd you go?'

'You know where I went,' Sesshoumaru told her. 'You were there.'

'No I wasn't,' Kikyou countered. 'I didn't follow you to the dream world.'

'Surely you jest. That is not possible.'

'I'm telling you, I wasn't there!' Kikyou argued back. 'The last thing I remember was you going to sleep. The next thing I knew, I was tossed out of your mind and into some dark place. What happened?'

'Maybe what she said was true,' Sesshoumaru mused as he and Kagome climbed the last step to the shrine courtyard. The courtyard was enormous and paved with cobblestones. On Sesshoumaru's left was a small two story home, toward the back was an old tree and a well house and toward his right was-

'My old shrine,' Kikyou gasped. 'It survived this long?'

"Come on Chance," Kagome called as she walked toward the house. "Mom is waiting, and I'm starving."

'What do you mean by your old shrine?' Sesshoumaru asked as he followed Kagome. 'You mean to say you've been here?'

'This is my shrine Sesshoumaru. I started my miko training here years before I met you.' Kikyou sighed wistfully, no doubt lost in some ancient memory as Sesshoumaru and Kagome stepped onto the front porch and into the house itself.

Kagome quickly shed her boots before helping Sesshoumaru with his as her family swarmed around her.

"Kagome!" her mother cried as she reached down to hug her. "We were starting to worry about you!"

"Sorry about that Mom," Kagome apologized with a smile. "But you know that there isn't a storm around that can keep me away from here."

"She just wants the free food," Souta 'mumbled' aloud. Kagome elbowed him in the ribs as everyone else laughed around them.

"OK you guys, gather around. I'd like for you to meet someone." Kagome waited until everyone was silent, then motioned for Sesshoumaru to sit in front of her.

"Everyone, this is Chance. Chance, that's my mother, Kagaromaru and his baby brother Juromaru, and Aunt Yukina and Uncle Ken, Kagaromaru's parents. Where's Grandpa?"

"Here Kagome," her grandfather wheezed as he ambled into the kitchen. "What's all the fuss about?"

Kagome smiled and patted Sesshoumaru's head. "This is Chance Grandpa, my dog."

Kagome's grandfather took one look at Sesshoumaru, his eyes widening at his large size, and screamed "Youkai!"

Sesshoumaru backed up instantly as the old man charged toward him, ofuda in hand as he yelled a loud battle cry. "I will turn you to dust youkai! How dare you come onto holy-"

"GRANDPA!!!!!!"

Her grandfather froze inches from Sesshoumaru, the ofuda dangling in the air between them. He looked up when Kagome growled, her hands fisted on her hips and her eyes narrowed dangerously. "I'll leave if you put that on him."

"But Kagome," Grandpa protested. "He's a youkai."

"He's not a youkai!" Kagome shot back. "He's a Great Pyrenees! Now leave him alone!"

"Fine," Grandpa grumbled as he folded the ward back into his sleeves. "But if I so much as hear him growl, I'll purify him back to the Feudal Era."

Kagome's mother shook her head in embarrassment. "I'm really sorry about that Kagome. I worry about him sometimes."

"Sometimes?" Souta scoffed with a laugh. "I worry about him all the time!"

Everyone agreed before following Mrs. Higurashi into the dining room. Dinner was a loud, but happy affair and everyone (including Grandpa) looked as if to be enjoying themselves. Mrs. Higurashi kept an eye on Chance throughout the meal, her interest piqued as the meal progressed. Little Juromaru took an instant liking to the giant white dog, never bothering to leave Chance's side through the entire evening.

Mrs. Higurashi winced when Juromaru took Chance's bowl from him, her body tense and ready should Chance decide to attack. Chance seemed to sigh in frustration and, with a slight growl, nudged the bowl back to the floor and resumed eating. Juromaru, unperturbed in any way, chose then to climb on his back and pull his ears with a happy laugh.

"He's so gentle," Mrs. Higurashi said aloud. Kagome peered over the table at Sesshoumaru and nodded. "Yeah, he is. Amazing huh?"

"He must have been around children at some time," Uncle Ken speculated, then snickered when Chance stood up and slowly walked around the room. Juromaru held on as best he could, and Chance would lower himself back to the floor if he felt the baby's fingers slipping from their vice-like grip on his ears.

"I don't know actually," Kagome admitted with a frown. "When I ran over him-"

"You ran over him?" Miroku interrupted. He winced when Sango promptly slapped his arm, then stuck his tongue out at her as Sango spoke up.

"It was an accident. Anyway, he's a really great dog. He even goes with Kagome to work sometimes."

"Wow," was the all around response. "He really is a great dog."

"Yeah, I know," Kagome said with a smile as Sesshoumaru walked past her. "I think he knows it too."

"Well, if everyone's finished, we can go to the living room for the story."

"Aw Mom," Souta griped as everyone else stood up and cleared the table. "Do we have to do this every year?"

"Would you rather your Grandfather tell it?"

"Nope," Souta said quickly. "Not really."

"This story is special," Kagome's mother told them when everyone was in the living room. "It's not a Christmas story, but it's a good one all the same."

"What's it about?" Kagome asked from her seat on the floor. Sango sat on her right side, Souta sat on her left with Sesshoumaru stretched out in front of them. Kagome and Sango constantly rubbed his back and ears, and Sesshoumaru couldn't prevent the contented purr from escaping his throat.

"Who knew dogs could purr?" Miroku teased. "I think you've got an overgrown cat on your hands."

"It's not a purr," Kagome retorted with an upturned nose. "It's a contented growl."

'Could not have said it better myself,' Sesshoumaru thought with satisfaction. Kikyou snickered. 'Yeah right. You know it's a purr.'

'Do not make me cross woman.'

'Yeah yeah Sesshoumaru-sama,' Kikyou appeased. 'I'll behave myself.'

"Anyway," Kagome's mother interrupted. "This story is about this shrine, and one of the miko that resided here. Grandpa first told me this story as a little girl, and I'm just now remembering it so hush up and pay attention." She looked around as everyone finally settled, with Sango leaning into Miroku's chest and Chance moving his head from the floor to Kagome's lap.

"Once upon a time, during the Feudal Era, there lived a princess of great beauty. Her father loved both she and her sister, and would spare them nothing to make them happy. This princess was not only the heir to her father's kingdom, but she also was gifted with great miko abilities. Her father saw this early on and send her away, to this very shrine, to train and become stronger.

"Long after her training began, she learned that she was betrothed to marry. Her groom was no ordinary man, but the son of a powerful youkai, and the next heir to his father's lands."

'Does this sound familiar?' Kikyou whispered. Sesshoumaru shushed her as Kagome's mother continued.

"She was at first distraught. After all, all she knew up to this time were her friends and instructors at the shrine and her little sister. She didn't want to marry. She expressed this to her father, who insisted that she meet the youkai first before making up her mind.

"The princess complied, and soon a ball was held for the betrothed couple," Mrs. Higurashi told the awed group around her. "She was lost the moment her eyes fell on him. It was said that his hair resembled spun silk, and his eyes rivaled the sun itself.

"She agreed wholeheartedly to the marriage, to which her father was immediately overjoyed. Their wedding day came with great celebration, and no one was happier than the princess. Her life could not have been better, for she was married to the most beautiful youkai in the world-"

"Guys are not beautiful," Souta interrupted. The other men in the room agreed with him, as did Sesshoumaru as Mrs. Higurashi shrugged.

"Don't look at me. This is how Grandpa told the story. Anyway, it was at the reception that she learned what type of creature she married. He scorned her and her race, and denounced the sanctity of their union. He shamed her in front of her kingdom, and his, and coldly tossed her trampled heart to the ground at her feet.

"She cursed him in a fit of rage and heartbreak, reducing him to a mirror image of his former self. Her husband's father had her locked away for her transgression. She spent the rest of her days locked inside the dungeon, weeping in misery over a youkai that couldn't love."

"Wow Sakura, that was depressing," Aunt Yukina said as she and the others stretched. "This is Christmas you know."

"I know. I couldn't help but tell it though. I think it's beautiful."

"I do too Mom," Kagome said as Sango nodded in agreement. "I don't know if it was Christmas worthy, but it is beautiful."

"Well, now that Sakura's depressed us all," Uncle Ken said as he stood up and approached the Christmas tree. "Let's open presents!"

"I thought we'd never get here!" Souta exclaimed as he, Kagaromaru and Miroku raced to the tree. Kagome giggled as she watched them, but still sat quietly to herself as she stroked one of Sesshoumaru's ears.

'The story was beautiful and I do feel sorry for the princess,' Kagome thought as Sango and Miroku tugged at a present with both their names. 'but what about the youkai? What happened to him? And was he really as evil as the story said?'

----

Sesshou: Great Kami-sama, save me. The hanyou is planning again.

Inu-chan: Shut the fuck up! I'm just doing this so SF can get off my back. Speaking of SF, is she back to normal yet?

SF: {coming from offstage} Yeah, I'm all here, tail and all. Sorry about that you guys. That was really messed up.

Sesshou: Why do you leave me in the hands of the incompetent halfling Guardian?

SF: Think about it. What have you been doing for the past five centuries?

Kagome: Wandering around and taking care of various children.

SF: Correct. What has Inuyasha been doing?

Sango: Exploring the world of the humans and building the Western empire.

SF: Exactly. See, Inuyasha has more experience than you in certain areas. If he needs to know how to filet the side of a guy's head, he'll call you. When it comes to humans, especially women, Inuyasha is the man with the plan.

Miroku: I do believe I've rubbed off on him.

Sango: I hope not.

SF: Anyway, trust me Sesshou. It's a good thing. The next chapter in Second Chance is

Chapter Fourteen: Nice Guys Finish…

Responses:

LovelyKagome-Wisher1, Demee, Sorata-chan, Cutiepie99, Jamie, Mkh2, The Fallen Angel of Death, Eiko Sejinumaru, Fiery Pheonix, PTBear, The Hitokiri Battousai Himura, Sataness-ov-Desire, Salena-Jagonashi, AnImEfReAk81, Angelic-Goddess, Black Shadow Fox, Enchanted Faerie, Get-Backers-136, Jess16, Lil-Saturn-Goddess, UgLyDaRkFaErIe547, The-Piro-16, Red Queen, SugarCube, ForestSprite, FanelianHalfDemonDragon, Demonswty, I, Bad-Girl4, Flame Dancer077, Cassy, Dana Daidouji, Dragon Rae, Lady Selene Li, Badgerwolf, CometsChaos, Lily1121, Tokia, NeoShipper, Minni, LightAngel & Artemis347: Thanks so much for reviewing! There's another chapter on the way!

Hyo-Neko: Sure, why not! I'd be more than happy to email you when I update!

Otakuannie: I've never actually had a Tickle Me Elmo, or a Furbee but I did have one of those Gigapets. I hated that bloody thing. I would kill it on purpose and start the thing over again. It was too demanding. I thought that the story would make more sense if Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha weren't the only youkai in the world, so Shippou became my it boy for the day. I've never had a guy stalk me, but I hear it sucks. I think Kagome should have maced him too, but what can you do? She's so nice. As for Sesshoumaru's present, you'll just have to wait until the next chapter.

Peanut Gallery-Alaska's Own: Yeah! I don't know why he doesn't accept that he actually...well, I can't tell that now. It would ruin the plot.

Eiko Seijinumaru: I'm glad you like it so much. Trust me, Naraku's a lot more perverse than just peeking in folks windows. When I make them sick, I make them real sick. Sesshoumaru's parts will get bigger hopefully, especially with what I have planned for the next couple of chapters. I know Kouga's going to get his own chapter soon. I think it's in about two chapters. Its also the cause for the effect I want for the next time Sesshoumaru's human for the full moon. Thanks for you two cents, they're always appreciated.

Seungmina1991:Yup, you told me. I should listen to you more.

S1Cherry: Um...I've always used toys, like Hot Wheels (yeah, she's a girl. I know.) or something like that. She's being real cooperative lately, so I don't know if it's the candy or what but I'm going for it. Yeah, the sweet smile has been Silver's downfall many times. Poor guy. He doesn't know the look by now. You're not the first person to say that Kagome should have maced him. I wonder why you guys want him in so much pain. Don't worry about the math thing. I wasn't very good at it either. To be truthful, math and I weren't friends.

Raine84: Don't be too mad at me. Silver makes me do it. ^.^ You know, you're question helped me with this chapter. Thanks bunches!

Gopher2806: Sesshou will be human again after this chapter. I can't necessarily tell you what he's going to get her, but it will include the obvious. Trust me, when Sesshou goes out, he goes all out. You'll see what I mean.

Faded-Illusion: Nope, she's not going to tell him. Sesshoumaru smelled it on her. Now he thinks that there's more than one person after her affections besides Naraku. Imagine, Sesshou jealous of a kid!

Fire Phoenix: Nope, she won't kill anyone...else. She won't be a frequent part of the story, but she will be used when necessary. Sorry that Sesshou wasn't human in this chapter. He will be for the next one, I promise.

Raynin: Please forgive me for the cliffhanger. Will it help if I told you that it was the Little Muse's idea?

Lunatic Pandora1: Nope, don't think you're one of those. Kanna is nicer in this fic, and more like the child I think she'd be if she weren't under Naraku's influence. I think I prefer her this way. Sesshou will be human soon.

Reality: Oh poo. Well, at least you tried. I think I know someone to ask.

InuYu_AllTheWay: He's here somewhere or the other. He's not here physically yet, but there are little things that he does that have his mark stamped all over them. You'll see what I mean in the next chapter.

SuzumiTenshi: You're not the first to say that. Thanks a lot!

MyInuyasha04: The full moon is on the next chapter.

J. Akane: I'm so sorry about that. That's the only name I could think of at the time. I hope you're still reading, because that was the first and last time SM made an appearance.

Dark Neko-chan: Man, now that's a beat down. I think Trunks is in there somewhere. Oh well. Can't say I'm sorry for him. That was rather nice of Kagome to give presents and what not. I like Shippou as a youkai too.

Defafaeth Mechqua: May I ask you a question? When are you updating 'It Can't Get Any Worse'? I'm dying over here.

JusenkyoMuMu: Glad to see you gave this a chance. Oh, no pun intended. Hopefully they'll be more updates over the summer. I'm ready to move on to bigger and better things. There are lots of other stories waiting on me and I need to get to work.

Baka Onna: Yeah, I think the Naraku thing is universal. Hell, it might expand past this one and into others.

BelleDayNight: Are you serious? You KNOW how stubborn he is. It's going to take a sledgehammer and a miracle to get him to admit that. I think he'll turn youkai again when the curse lifts. I think it's the human he falls for that changes, but don't quote me on that. The Little Muse has a mind of her own. I still plan to do it.

CresentMoon99: I try to update at least once a month, but sometimes it could be twice or even once a week. To know for sure, check my bio page.

Blooded-Blade: Tails are so much cuter. I'd rather cuddle it in a second.

Allore NightShadow: I think so too. I'm trying to update faster, but the Little Muse seems to foil me at every attempt. : ) I promise, there will be plenty Sesshoumaru in the next chapter.

Father Malvado: That's really sweet of you, but I was just kidding about the plushie. I've never seen Akira, but I think I'm going to have to check it out. No problems about the rants. I think it helps to let off steam every once in a while. I'm glad to be of some help. (hugs plushie) Thanks so much for her. She may not be real, but she's cool anyway.

ReginaLucifer: Me too, unless there's a good vibe. The crowds at Christmas don't give off the right vibe for me. She could have knocked down the door, but there's something protecting it from her advances. Shippou's father left a lot of things around to protect his son.

Kagome: That was strange. {muffles laughter behind her hand} Inu-chan, give me that! {snatches bottle} I wonder if it works on kitsunes too...

Massao-na-Mizu: Sesshoumaru, in his human form, has black hair and golden eyes. Dark Neko-Chan did a really great picture of him. It's posted on Mediaminer, but let me know if you want me to send it to you. Youkai Yume drew one too, but I don't know if her's is still posted. (blushes) Thanks for the alert, and the fave's list.

Ashes of the Star Phoenix: First off, I must say thanks for giving me a shot. That Silver Fox is different than my Silver Fox. I've never seen Silver Fox's work. You wouldn't happen to have a link on you would you? And yes, the only thing on Silver's mind is sex. You must ignore him sometimes.

Nishasha: That, my dear, is one of the many mysteries involving this story. You'll see soon.

KouseiJL: It was one of those compass looking things that you get for sale from the Army/Navy Surplus. Other wise known as a crap-tastic gift. Unfortunately, Sesshou stays a pup for Christmas. He's already changed for the month of December, remember? That's really cool! I'm glad you're thinking about it!

J. Akane: You're not the first person to say that. Unfortunately, if I responded to every review personally (via email) I'd never get the chapters out. There would be a lot of angry people looking for me. Plus some people look over the review responses and find the answer to questions they never would have thought to ask.

Row: Not for some time. I think that's later on in the story.

HaPPy_BuNNy: Nope, no full moon on Christmas. Sorry. No, I don't think Kagome will ever find out.

Cocovanilla: Sesshoumaru's plan starts out as his own, but you know how brothers are. Always willing to one up the other.

HazelEyed Freak: Hey, if you have me whacked, who'd update the story?

Moonfrog87: It really surprises me that so many people don't know that. Please don't feel guilty about him. I'm pretty sure your mom wouldn't want you to. (bows) My aim is to please and inform wherever I can. Oh, and tell Max hello! I just love cats! (Eve [my dog] growls) But I love you too!

Fyyrrose: I'm proud of you. If it were me, I'd still be confused. It would be planted underneath the rose bush, along with Chrono Cross and FFVIII. It's not Sesshou's reaction to the shrine that we should wander about. It's the story behind it. I understand about the Naraku-dying thing. Don't worry about it. I took a blood sample and had him cloned.

Blazed: A Rock Bottom is a move performed by The Rock, who used to be a pro wrestler until he quit to persue an acting career. Just in case you don't know who he is, he held the title role in 'The Scorpion King', and played the same character in The Mummy Returns.

Rikku0319: If you dont think I'm crazy, then we're good. Don't worry about Kagome. She'll figure it out sooner or later. Hey, what's 'Hating You'? I've never heard of it.

Suzuko: I'll do what I can for Shippou, but you never know what the future holds.

Neesha: I won't tell him if you don't. Sesshou: Tell me wha-meow! {::looks shocked::} What the hell?

Crystal Echoes: You're not the only one to ask that question. I'm sure the chapter above has the answer. Oh, and I'm still working on a boxers scene with him.

Sun-Princess2: Thanks for giving me a go. I'm glad you like it, and I truly hope that this fic is everything you want it to be.

Lysia1982: Not pertaining to the story, but I recognize your name somewhere. Please tell me why you picked it.

Teresa: Forgive me for the short chapter. That's why I tried to make this one as long as possible. I thought that it would make a little more sense for Shippou to be youkai too. After all, it would be weird with just Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru in the world, don't you think?