InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Nice Guys Finish... ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I know, this chapter is a long time coming but hey, there's FLUFF here! Yay! Hurray for the fluff! (looks around) Um…where did it go? Oh yeah, I have an outline for this fic too! I'm so happy.

Chapter Fourteen: Nice Guys Finish…

'Um…peace and quiet,' Sesshoumaru mused as he padded through the living room and flopped down on his blanket.

'Isn't it nice to just sit?' Kikyou mused while Sesshoumaru closed his eyes. Sesshoumaru couldn't help but agree. 'It is…even though I do miss the sausage biscuits.'

Christmas came and went quickly, and without a single problem. Sesshoumaru watched the family festivities with interest and was surprised when he received a few gifts from the family. Kagome's mother gave him a set of porcelain feeding bowls with his name etched on the sides in blue ink and Kagome herself gave him a leather version of the plastic collar she first brought him, complete with a silver crescent moon. Sango gave Kagome a new bag for when she brought him to work, this one a black Jansport hiking pack with wheels on the bottom.

'I wonder what Souta's doing…' Kikyou said with a thoughtful sigh. Sesshoumaru smirked knowingly. 'Don't tell me you have a crush, miko. That would be……'Robbing the cradle' so to speak.'

'You're a fine one to talk!' she snapped back. 'You were a hundred years older than me when we met!'

'It was not by choice, I assure you,' Sesshoumaru replied dryly.

'Just be quiet,' Kikyou grumbled irritably. 'You know you miss him too.'

Sesshoumaru remained quiet, but he did feel a sense of nostalgia when he thought about Kagome's younger brother. Souta second semester was drastically different than the first, with all of his classes in the morning and early afternoon instead of late afternoon and evening labs. Kagome worried immediately upon hearing the news, but relaxed slightly when her mother and Miroku promised to drop by and check on things.

'As if I need a babysitter,' Sesshoumaru mumbled to himself. 'I've fought youkai in this form. Nothing can hurt me-'

'Except for a speeding car,' Kikyou quipped smartly. He growled in response, imagining the smug look on her face before he heard a rattling at the front door. He jumped on the couch, looked out the window and growled instantly.

'That…Naraku person,' he snarled as Mr. Naraku attempted to open the door again. Sesshoumaru barked once in warning and smirked when Naraku jolted in shock. He glanced around quickly and frowned when Sesshoumaru barked again.

"That fucking mutt," Sesshoumaru heard him say. Sesshoumaru growled in offense and barked again when Naraku stuck his face up to the window pane. "I can't wait until Kagome gets rid of that slobbering beast. Then I'll have her all to myself."

Sesshoumaru growled at the maliciousness shining in his eyes and barked again just as Kagome's car pulled into the driveway.

>

"What's going on now?" Kagome wondered aloud as she turned off the engine and stepped out the car. She could hear Chance barking from inside, and from the way things sounded he wasn't very happy. Kagome reached in the back seat and grabbed her briefcase before opening her car door. She stepped out just as the streetlight turned on and took a moment to watch the setting sun before walking up the sidewalk to her door.

"Hello Kagome," Naraku greeted warmly as he turned away from the window. Kagome nodded back and proceeded to unlock her door. "How was your Christmas?"

"It was great Mr. Naraku. How was yours?"

"It was fine. Thank you for asking."

"Not a prob-Chance!" She squeaked when Sesshoumaru bolted out and charged toward Naraku, nearly bowling her over in the process. Kagome barely grabbed his collar in time and was nearly yanked off her feet when he jerked back.

"Stop it! What's wrong with you?" Kagome demanded as Naraku stepped back and watched. Sesshoumaru snarled viciously, his fangs bared and his eyes glittering a hateful gold.

"You might be losing control of him," Naraku told her. "I hear that's common in strays."

"No way," Kagome counted with a shake of her head. "Chance isn't like that. I wonder what's the matter. Maybe he's lonely."

"I doubt that," Naraku grumbled, then turned away from her and looked up the street. "Hey, what's that?"

Kagome and Sesshoumaru looked up, his attempts to take a chunk out of Naraku's skin forgotten as a white limo rolled down the street. An elder gentleman leaned out the passenger side window, a slip of paper in his hand as he glanced from it to each condo before waving his hand forward. The limo finally stopped at Kagome's house, and the gentleman stepped out.

He was short, at least two feet shorter that Kagome's 5' 2", with a single ring of hair around his otherwise bald head. He was dressed simply, in a pair of black slacks and vest with a white shirt. He glanced from Naraku and Kagome to Sesshoumaru and bowed respectfully. "Excuse me for the intrusion," he said as he returned his gaze to Kagome. "I'm looking for Higurashi-san."

"I'm Higurashi," Kagome said, her curiously burning as she inwardly wondered what was going on. "Can I help you?"

The gentleman sighed in relief and seemed to shrink further in size. "It's a relief to have found you! We've been to at least three different places. My employer isn't good with instructions."

"Huh?" Kagome muttered aloud. Naraku grumbled to himself from the sidelines, irritated at being completely forgotten as Kagome pulled Sesshoumaru toward the man. "Who are you?"

"I'm Myouga Narita, and I'm one of the assistants to Taishou-san."

'Taishou…Taishou…oh!' "You mean Sesshoumaru?"

"Yes Higurashi-san," Myouga said with another bow. "He wishes for you to meet him."

"Meet him? Where?"

"That's the surprise." Myouga walked toward the back of the limo and was opening the door when Kagome shook her head. "I can't."

"Why not?" Myouga asked. "Is something the matter?"

"Well, yeah. What about Chance?"

"Chance?" Myouga repeated, then nodded in understanding when Kagome gestured to Sesshoumaru. "Oh yes, your beloved pet. Taishou-san has arranged for him to stay at a hotel."

"What kind of hotel?" Kagome asked warily.

"Oh, the best I assure you," Myouga responded with a smile. "It's a pet hotel. He'll receive gourmet meals and snacks, his own room and a helper will be available for his every whim."

"Wow," Kagome nodded in approval. "That's great Chance! You get a spa day!"

'No…not exactly,' Sesshoumaru though as he raised his head toward the ever-darkening sky. 'Myouga should hurry, least I change right here on the sidewalk.'

"Shouldn't we take him there first?" Kagome asked. Myouga shook his head. "There's no need. My associate Jaken-" He opened the back seat and stepped aside as another man, this one a few inches taller than Myouga, climbed out the back. "Will stay with him until his ride comes."

"Man, Sesshoumaru really pulled out all the stops didn't he?" Kagome mused with a laugh. "Alright, alright. I'll go." She handed gently nudged Sesshoumaru over to Jaken and started to get into the limo when she remembered Naraku. "I'm really sorry about this Naraku-san," she said as Myouga stepped inside behind her and shut the door. She rolled the window down and gave Naraku an innocent shrug before reaching both arms out and gesturing for Sesshoumaru.

"That's my guy," she said when Sesshoumaru propped his front paws on the side of the limo and licked her cheek. "You behave for Jaken-san, alright?'

'I'll think about it,' Sesshoumaru woofed in response. Kagome smiled and kissed the tip of his nose, then waved when he jumped down. "See you later you guys!" she called before the driver drove off. Sesshoumaru, Jaken and Naraku watched as the limo drove to the end of the cul de sack and turned around before driving up the street and disappearing.

Naraku glanced at the end of the street a moment, then left toward his house without another word.

"Not very friendly is he Sesshoumaru-sama?" Jaken grumbled to himself as Sesshoumaru sat at his feet.

'No, he's not,' Sesshoumaru growled in response. 'But I believe he knows his boundaries.'

"These humans know no boundaries-" he gulped at Sesshoumaru's growl and stammered ,"B-but you know best Sesshoumaru-sama!"

'Quiet,' Sesshoumaru commanded absently as a bright red car appeared at the top of the street. 'Now where is Inuyasha?'

>Beep-Beep!<

Sesshoumaru turned just as the red car pulled into the driveway behind Kagome's, and groaned when Inuyasha stuck his head out the driver's seat.

"Come on!" he exclaimed as the passenger side door popped open. "We've got to go!"

Jaken hurried behind Sesshoumaru, his short legs tottering along as Sesshoumaru climbed in the back seat. Jaken replaced the passenger seat and sat down as Inuyasha lowered the top. The drove away just as the last bit of sunlight disappeared over the horizon.

"So," Inuyasha said as the sky darkened and the first stars twinkled into view. "What do you think of my plan?"

'What…' "…plan…" Sesshoumaru growled as a sharp pain twisted in his lower back. Inuyasha glanced back worriedly before stopping for a red light.

"Hey, are you alright Aniki?" he asked as he and Jaken looked on. Sesshoumaru nodded as his hair bristled and flashed black before turning snow white again.

'I'm fine. It's the-' "…effects of the Changing…" he gasped as his back twisted again. He grimaced as his bones snapped, lengthened and rearranged themselves. Inuyasha glanced back one last time, then returned his attention to the road.

"Is there anything we can do Sesshoumaru-sama?" Jaken inquired. Sesshoumaru shook his head, the sight gruesome as his snout shrunk in on itself. "No," he growled as his voice deepened. "I'm…" 'fine….'

"Leave him alone," Inuyasha growled as he sped toward the city. "If he says he'll be fine, then he'll be fine. He knows more about this than we do. Did you get his bag?"

"I forgot Inuyasha-sama," Jaken replied miserably. Inuyasha shook his head. "Don't worry about it. I'll get it later. Just wait Sesshoumaru," he grinned as he looked back at the misshapen dog. "I've got a surprise for you…"

><

"May I ask a question Narita-san?" Kagome asked Myouga from the other side of the limousine. He looked up from a folder he was reading and nodded.

"Of course Higurashi-san. I'm here to assist you in any way possible."

"Um, what are we supposed to be doing? And please, call me Kagome."

"Ah, a beautiful name Kagome-san. It suits you." He smiled at her blush, finding the innocent gesture to be endearing. 'Maybe she can lift the curse,' he thought with a wistful grin as Kagome tipped her head to the side and gave him a curious stare.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, yes," Myouga snapped out of his thoughts and answered her question. "We're supposed to be getting you ready."

"Ready for what?"

"You'll see…"

Kagome huffed but relented, figuring that if anything should happen that the tiny can of pepper spray she kept in her coat pocket would be more than enough to handle this Myouga character if anything went to pot. Myouga returned to his folder, where Inuyasha left specific instructions and provisions for the night ahead. He glanced at Kagome every now and again, his gaze approving as she took off her beige trench coat. Underneath she wore a black skirt that fell to her knees, with tiny white pinstripe and a shiny pink ribbon that matched her powder pink blouse.

'She certainly looks nice,' Myouga thought as the driver turned a sharp left. 'But what does Sesshoumaru-sama think of her?'

"Narita-san?"

"Yes Kagome-san?"

Kagome pointed toward the window. "Why are we at the mall?"

"Oh, we're here already? Wonderful!" The driver parked into a nearby space, turned off the engine and opened the door.

"Thanks," Kagome responded as he helped her out. She stepped to the side so Myouga could get out, her trench coat draped around her shoulders, her briefcase in her hands and a little backpack he didn't notice earlier draped underneath her coat. "Now what Narita-san?"

"Now we shop! Come now," he said at Kagome's disappointed look. "Don't you like shopping?"

"I do," Kagome said as Myouga grabbed her hand and practically dragged Kagome through the doors of the mall. "But this can't be where Sesshoumaru wants to meet me, is it?"

"No, of course not!" Myouga replied with a shake of his head. "This is where you're going first! We have so much to do! We must not dally Kagome-san."

"Alright," Kagome sighed in long suffering. "Where to first?"

"A place called…Victoria's Secret."

"No way!" Kagome screeched to a halt in the middle of the mall, a look of horror etched across her face. Myouga jerked back and was slammed into her, the both of them holding on to each other to keep from falling and embarrassing themselves further.

"What is it Kagome-san? What's wrong?"

"Look, you're not coming with me to buy underwear," Kagome protested. "I'm not having it. I don't have any extra cash on me anyway."

"No, you misunderstand," Myouga responded, his hands raised in appeasement. "Taishou-sama has already picked out and purchased everything. All we have to do is pick up the right things in your size."

"Oh." Kagome blinked thoughtfully, then shrugged. "That changes everything, I guess."

"Now way we proceed?" Myouga asked as he offered her his arm. Kagome took it with a smile and together they walked inside the destined store.

"May I help you?" one of the saleswomen, a women with bright red lipstick and sugary blonde hair with black roots.

"Yes, we're here for the Taishou order," Myouga said as he pushed Kagome toward the woman. "This is who its for."

"Yes, I see. Well, give me a moment…" Kagome stood still as the woman walked around her, inwardly flinching at every snap of her gum before she finally stopped in front of her.

"Let me guess," the saleswoman began. "You're a size A in pantyhose?"

"Yes," Kagome nodded.

"A cup sized B."

"Yes," Kagome nodded again, this time with a light blush. The woman gently grasped Kagome's arms, turned her to the side and said, "and a medium in underwear."

"No," Kagome shook her head. "I'm an extra small."

"Could have fooled me," the saleswoman muttered. Kagome's eyes narrowed and she opened her mouth to say something when the woman disappeared toward the back of the store. Another saleswoman, this one with dark brown hair and eyes, gave Kagome an apologetic smile.

"Forgive Anna," she whispered as Kagome closed her eyes and performed what were supposed to be deep breathing exercises. "She's having a rough day."

"That doesn't excuse her for being rude to people," Kagome hissed through clenched teeth. The saleswoman agreed. "True. Please forgive her."

"I agree with Kagome-san," Myouga spoke up. "I would like to speak to your manager."

"That's just it," the saleswoman said with a shrug. "She is the manager."

"Don't worry about it," Kagome said as Anna came back and the other saleswoman scurried off. "If she's bitching at me, then she's leaving someone else alone."

"Very good prospective Kagome-san," Myouga agreed with a nod. Anna handed Kagome a single bag, white and pink striped tissue paper hanging decoratively from the inside.

"Here you are, everything you requested," she said before rudely gesturing toward the make-up counter. "Shelia is the saleswoman over there. She'll assist you."

"Thank you." Kagome accepted the bag, bowed graciously, then turned and walked toward the make-up part of the store. Myouga watched her in approval, the saleswoman's negativity not affecting her in the least.

'Yes, she'd make a good one for Sesshoumaru-sama indeed,' he thought before turning to the saleswoman. Anna seemed to have forgotten about Myouga entirely and was watching Kagome walk away with a look of hateful envy in her eyes.

"Excuse me?"

"Yes, what do you want?" she snapped irritably. Myouga remained cool and collected, knowing that to cause a scene with this silly human woman would not due for Inuyasha's image.

"I wish to have the main store's phone number."

"For what purpose?" she huffed as she reached inside a drawer near the registers and handed him a card.

"You've been incredibly rude to my companion, and even though she chooses to ignore you, I will not. I fully plan to make sure that something is done about your temperament. Good day." He followed after Kagome without another word, leaving the saleswoman stunned at both him and the sudden chill that surrounded her after he left.

<>

"This is not what I had in mind," Sesshoumaru told Inuyasha an hour later as he stared at himself in the mirror. Inuyasha glanced up from his desk and his paperwork to smirk at him, then returned to his reports.

"I don't see what's so bad about it," Inuyasha finally responded. Sesshoumaru glared at his mirror image.

"You mean, other than the fact that I'm wearing gray?"

Inuyasha gave up on his work, figuring that the reports could wait until after Sesshoumaru's hissy fit as he looked up and surveyed the suit he picked out earlier in the week. He saw nothing wrong with the black pants he picked out, figuring that the car length blazer that went with it suited Sesshoumaru's tall frame. Even the gray shirt looked good to him, being that it was a deep shimmery charcoal instead of the Crayola red that he originally thought about.

"You know what Sesshoumaru?" Inuyasha began as Sesshoumaru straightened his tie. "You complain too much."

"Really?" Sesshoumaru quirked a brow. "How so?"

"For one, you have yet to say 'Thank you Inuyasha. You've done a decent job', nor 'Nice going Inuyasha. Now what about this chick's presents-"

"Presents? I thought we agreed on one," Sesshoumaru said as Inuyasha's desk phone began to ring. Inuyasha shrugged as he picked it up.

"What can I tell you?" he replied with a mischievous smirk. "I'm the king of 'Can't do just one'. You'll like it, you'll see. Hello?… Myouga! How's it going?"

Sesshoumaru shook his head and turned away as Inuyasha leaned back in his seat, only to whirl around at Inuyasha's growl. "You're kidding? What did she say?" Inuyasha nodded, his eyes absentmindedly following Sesshoumaru as he sat down in one of the two chairs in front of Inuyasha's desk.

"Man, that's a bummer. Nah, I'll handle it. Just leave the card with me. Where are you heading now? Good, that makes one more stop. Will you be finished by 8:00? … Good. See you then."

Sesshoumaru looked up from the troublesome cufflink, a black onyx pair with a crescent moon stamped in gold, and glared at him. "What has happened?" he asked as Inuyasha propped his feet on his desk and sighed.

"Not a whole lot. Just some chick that decided to be rude to your 'charge' in the middle of the store." He sighed again and frowned deeply. "Don't worry about it. I'll handle it in the morning. Hey, you've got at least another hour with me. What are you planning to do?"

"I figure we should work on a few stock reports," Sesshoumaru responded as he grabbed the brush from his lap and swiftly dragged it through his hair. "Unless you have something better to do."

"No, not at all," Inuyasha responded before he unlocked a large file cabinet and retrieved a large file from it's cramped depths. "This is the Caulfield report. This one's been giving me some trouble for a time now."

Sesshoumaru pulled his hair back into a black elastic, the band becoming invisible in the sea of darkness that streamed down his back as he pulled his chair closer to Inuyasha's desk. "Then let's get started, shall we?"

><

"Are we almost finished?" Kagome asked as Myouga rummaged through the three new bags they just picked up. So far, all she knew about the bags were that one contained underwear of some sort, while another held a pair of shoes. The rest she was curious about, and curiosity was slowly getting the best of her.

"What time is it Kagome-san?"

"Oh. Um…" Kagome opened her briefcase and grimaced as she pulled out the stopwatch Naraku gave her. "It's…6-no 7:00."

"Oh no!" Myouga exclaimed immediately. "That's not good at all!"

"Why?" Kagome asked as she rested a comforting hand on his shoulder. "What's the matter?"

"We don't have time to have your hair done! You're supposed to meet Taishou-sama at 8!"

'Taishou-sama? Weird…' Kagome thought a few minutes, mentally blocking out Myouga's distress before clapping her hands together.

"I've got it!" she announced happily, completely ignorant of Myouga's wince at the abuse to his ears. "Hey, is there a Wal-Mart© nearby?"

"There should be. Let me ask the driver." She waited while Myouga spoke with the driver, then smiled when he turned to her and nodded.

"Good. I have an idea."

"Um…Kagome-san?" he questioned, the plotting look in her eyes giving him slight pause. "What's going-"

"He's stopped! Good." She rolled down the window and looked out, the chilly January air contrasting greatly with the warmth inside the limo. "Ok Narita-san-"

"Myouga," he interrupted.

"Alright then. Myouga-san, this is the plan. I want you to go in there and get these two things: a can of hairspray and a set battery operated hot rollers."

"Hot rollers?" Myouga repeated as Kagome opened the door and practically shoved him outside. "What are they?"

"Just ask for help. Anyone working there will show you to them. Here, hold on." Myouga stood outside and waited, shivering slightly underneath his coat as Kagome scribbled down her request on a scrap sheet of paper. "There you go. Thanks Myouga-san." Myouga sighed to himself, figuring that whatever plan she had would be a good one and retreated to the store.

The driver opened the door ten minutes later and Myouga handed Kagome two bags. "What's in the second bag?" she asked as she peered inside.

"I noticed that those sets only come in fifteen. I bought two and lots of batteries just to be safe."

"You know what? I did forget to put batteries on the list. Thanks Myouga-san."

Myouga blushed under the sunny grin she gave him, its genuine warmth made him forget about the less than favorable weather around him until the door shut.

"Kagome-san," he called as he tugged on the door. "Open up please."

"I don't think so," Kagome called from inside. "Don't you think I should get changed now?"

"Well yes but-"

"And just how am I supposed to do that with you back here?"

Myouga paused in his struggling, the truth of her revelation finally reaching his flea brain. "Oh."

"Exactly. Don't worry though," she called as the driver opened the front passenger door. "I should be finished before we get to wherever it is we're going."

"Alright," Myouga relented as he retreated to the seat beside the driver. "But be careful." He didn't receive an answer from her, the only sound coming from the back was the sudden rustling of paper. He sighed yet again, finding that this was becoming a habit around the young woman, picked up his cell phone and dialed a single number.

"Hai Taishou-sama, she's on the way. … You're already there? … Oh, ok. … No, no problems. Everything is fine." 'At least I hope everything's fine,' he thought when a sudden hiss of pain came from the back.

"Yes Taishou-sama, everything's fine. We'll be there shortly."

<>

"Now where are we?" Sesshoumaru mumbled irritably as Inuyasha drove down a dark driveway.

"It's a surprise," Inuyasha chastised before reaching in the back. He tossed a canvas bag into Sesshoumaru's lap and pointed to a passing sign.

"Mizo Sakura Botanical Garden?" Sesshoumaru read as they sped past. "Why are we here?"

"Because I've already paid for it." Inuyasha mumbled something ugly under his breath when Sesshoumaru glared at him and finally decided to give him what he wanted.

"Look, do you remember a few weeks ago when you called me and asked me to pick up that thing you wanted?"

"Yes…" Sesshoumaru drawled, a creeping sense of foreboding crawling up his spine. "What about it?"

"Well, I got to thinking and-"

"Perish the thought," Sesshoumaru interrupted. Inuyasha scowled. "Hey, I'm trying to tell you something! Anyway, I thought about it and I figured that if that was for the chick you're staying with-which I know it is-then why stop at one thing? Why not go all out you know? So, that's what I did.

"The limo was a start, then I rented the garden for the night. I've arranged for everything to be set up near the moonflower section of the greenhouse."

"What else could there be?" Sesshoumaru wondered aloud. Inuyasha shrugged and grinned wickedly. "You'll see…"

"I bet."

"Here we are!" Inuyasha announced before screeching to a halt in front of an enormous greenhouse. Sesshoumaru grabbed his coat, a black leather trench that grazed the back of his calves, and opened his door as Inuyasha bounded out. "This is it Sesshoumaru! She should be here in a few!"

"Why are you so excited?" Sesshoumaru asked as he leaned against the greenhouse door.

"Er…I just am damn it! Can't a guy be happy just for the hell of it?"

"You're planning something," Sesshoumaru said more than asked. Inuyasha froze for a second, then laughed it off. "Whatever man. You're paranoid. Go on, go inside. The moonflowers are in the back, past the Easter lilies."

Sesshoumaru opened the door and stepped over the threshold when he remembered something. "Inuyasha, how are we supposed to get-" He sighed and shook his head as the little red car sped up the road and disappeared. "…Home. Oh well." He closed the door behind him and walked up to the directory posted near the entrance. He traced a finger along his destined path, nodding to himself at the turns and landmarks before stepping away from it and beginning his journey.

Sesshoumaru walked along idly, his eyes roving lazily over the flora around him as he made his way to the back of the building. The greenhouse held a foreboding about itself without the hustle and bustle of the daily tourists, but Sesshoumaru remained undeterred as he passed the lotus flower display to the moonflowers.

The spot Inuyasha picked was perfect, with the normal glare of the ceiling lights faded to a firefly glow. A white wrought iron table set was set up in front of the moonflowers themselves, with a large window overlooking the city on the other side. Sesshoumaru set the canvas sack Inuyasha gave him in one of the two chairs and opened the picnic basket sitting on top of the table. He dug around a moment, then began pulling out a wide assortment of objects.

First came a white tablecloth, which Sesshoumaru promptly set the basket on the floor and draped the cloth over the tabletop. Next came a pair of crystal candlestick holders, a pair of thin white candlesticks-

'Do I detect a theme?' Sesshoumaru thought wryly as he fished out, you guessed it, a white lighter. 'The hanyou really has lost his mind,' he told himself as he lit the candles and continued on with his search. He finally stopped when the last plate was set, figuring to wait until Kagome arrived to figure out what else was there.

'I don't understand why Inuyasha would go through all the trouble,' Sesshoumaru pondered as he stepped back to study his handiwork. He had to admit, even if it was to himself, that the entire set-up looked good though he found himself wondering at the romantic atmosphere.

'I know what he's trying to do,' Sesshoumaru realized before turning toward the window and the city beyond. 'He thinks that there may be a chance to rid myself of the miko's curse. Foolish hanyou.' He folded his arms over his chest and sighed, his golden eyes briefly closing before opening again.

'There is no room in my heart for love,' he told himself as he looked through the glass above to the night sky. 'I have gone this long without another, so why change it? It is not as if I'm in pursuit of anyone.'

'Then what exactly do you call this little arrangement for Kagome?' his subconscious whispered mockingly. Sesshoumaru huffed. 'My half brother's attempt at a good idea.'

'You cannot deny that he cares about you. You are his Aniki, despite how you treat him. He is only trying to help.'

'I cannot help his feelings.'

'Exactly,' his other half countered. 'You cannot help his feelings, or anyone else. You may not wish to fall in love, but you cannot stop the infatuation of anyone else.'

'Are you trying to say that Kagome is infatuated with me?' he asked with a quirked brow. Somewhere in the back of his mind, a mirror image of himself, his true self, shrugged.

'You never know. Besides, wouldn't it be nice if she were…'

Sesshoumaru sighed again as the voice faded away, watching the flickering lights of the city.

'Yes,' he finally admitted with a wistful smile. 'I suppose it would be…nice…'

><

Myouga sighed to himself as the limo stopped in front of the greenhouse door, his brow furrowed thoughtfully at how silent the back seemed to be. 'I wonder what she's doing,' he thought as he tapped on the driver's access window.

"Yes?" came Kagome's muffled voice from the back.

"We've arrived."

"We have?!" her panicked voice squeaked. Myouga shook his head when the sound of rustling increased, then cast the driver a curious brow when everything went silent.

"Kagome-san?"

"I'm ready Myouga-san."

'About time,' Myouga muttered to himself as he and the driver stepped out. He stood on the other side as the driver opened the back door, his gloved hand extended for Kagome to use. Her delicate hand grasped his as she stepped out, wobbling slightly on her heeled sandals before finally emerging from the limo.

Most of her was hidden underneath her trench coat, so Myouga couldn't see the results of Inuyasha's handiwork until they stepped inside the much warmer greenhouse.

"Whew," Kagome breathed as she shrugged out of her coat. "It's hot in here. I guess its supposed to be huh?"

Myouga nodded dumbly, his hands automatically reaching out for her coat as he took in her attire. Her silver dress shimmered in the faint light, the drape neckline revealing just enough cleavage to be noticed, but not so much as to be disrespectable. The silver heeled sandals made her three inches taller than him, but Myouga didn't seem to mind. She smiled down at him, her midnight black hair waving softly over one eye in a style that reminded him of an American style in the 1950's.

"Kagome-san, you look wonderful," he couldn't help but comment. Kagome blushed. "Thanks Myouga-san. Where am I supposed to go?"

"Toward the back, where the moonflowers are. The map is right here if you need it, and there are maps all along the pathways."

"Alright then," Kagome nodded, then stopped as she remembered something. "How am I to get home?"

"The driver will return in an hour's time. He will take you both to your home."

"OK then. Thanks Myouga-san!" Kagome called as he closed the door, leaving her alone to navigate the greenhouse. 'OK Kagome, there's nothing to worry about,' she told herself as she walked along the cobblestone pathway. She took a moment to study some tiger lilies before rounding the corner to the moonflowers.

Her breath left her instantly, leaving Kagome in a slight swoon as she gazed on the set-up ahead of her. The candlelight reflected off the glass tabletop, the white tablecloth shimmering almost as brightly as the moonflowers. A small basket set beside the table, the top already set up for a dinner for two.

Sesshoumaru stood a little away from it, his back to her as he stared at the stars above. 'I wonder what he's thinking,' she thought as he stared on, completely unaware of her presence. She watched as he sighed, one that seemed heavy-burdened and troubled as he crossed his arms over his chest. 'It's like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Whatever he does in a day must be stressful. What does he do to relax?'

Sesshoumaru's ponytail swayed slightly as he shifted, his feet sliding shoulder-length apart before shaking his head. 'He looks like he's missing something. Could he be thinking about his wife?' Kagome sighed softly, her heart going out to the stoic man in front of her as she crossed the room to him. 'I wonder if he has any happiness in his life. If I could…I'd be that happiness.' She smiled at the idea and stopped, her toes inches from the heels of his shoes.

'I'd…like to be that happiness, even if it is for just a little while. He's bound to find another, someone better. He'll leave me but-' She reached out and hugged him, her arms winding around his waist to cross at her wrists beneath his own. 'For now, I want him to be happy with me.'

Sesshoumaru started when she touched him, his youkai senses on alert before registering the slender fingers intertwining with his. "Kagome?"

He felt her inhale, her breasts pressing against his back before falling back at her exhale. He turned around, her arms loosening so he could, and hugged her back. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" he teased as her head settled against his sternum.

"You looked lonely," Kagome answered with a sheepish grin. "So I decided to join you. Loneliness loves company."

"I thought misery loves company."

Kagome shrugged. "Whatever."

He humored her with a smile, for once not minding being corrected as they turned to the moonlight above. They watched the stars throughout the night, only turning once from the sky to enjoy the dinner Inuyasha had prepared for them inside the basket. Kagome was thoroughly impressed and didn't hesitate to tell Sesshoumaru so as they wearily climbed into the back of the limo.

"Everything was just perfect," she yawned before giving him a bright smile. Sesshoumaru nodded in thanks. He too was impressed with Inuyasha's planning, and wondered at where he would think to do any of this.

"I'm…glad you enjoyed yourself," he responded. Kagome leaned against him, the chill of the night air outside threading down the back of her dress.

"I'm glad you invited me, even if your assistant stole my coat."

Sesshoumaru smirked to himself, knowing that his and Kagome's clothes were more likely than not stuffed deep within the black duffle bag in the trunk. He shrugged out of his coat and draped it over her, a gentle smirk on his face as she was engulfed in black leather.

"Wow," Kagome yawned again, this time raising a hand to cover her mouth. "This thing is warm." Her head lulled to the side and found purchase on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. "It…(yawn) smells like you too…"

"Go to sleep Kagome," Sesshoumaru replied as he draped an arm around her. "I'll tell you when we arrive." She drifted off almost instantly, her blue eyes closing as she nuzzled her forehead against his shoulder. Sesshoumaru watched her sleep for a few moments, then reached inside the canvas sack for her presents.

'What did the hanyou purchase?' Sesshoumaru wondered as he opened the first of two black boxes. His brow frowned curiously as he plucked out what looked like a string of crystals inter-looping with each other. He turned it in his hands, weighing it with his eyes closed before he finally realized what it was.

'Why on earth would he pick this?' he frowned as he returned it to it's box. He picked up the second one and opened it, the frown smoothing away to satisfaction as he pulled free a silver pocket watch by it's chain. It was open faced, with the 12 and the 6 on the clock face replaced by a small diamond. Her initials, KH, were inscribed in gold cursive in the center of the clock.

'Now this is perfect,' Sesshoumaru approved with a smile. 'Nothing like what Naraku gave her at all. I cannot wait to see her face when she sees it.'

----

SF: Mizo Sakura means 'cherry blossom water' in Japanese. I hope I did that right. Knowing my luck, it's supposed to be Sakura Mizo or something of the like.

Silver Fox: Do you realize how short this was? You're going to get fried.

SF: To be perfectly honest, this was just supposed to be a filler chapter. I didn't mean to delay it and make it look like it was more important than it is. Um…What does next week look like?

Kagome: (waving the script) Oh yeah! Next week, I go on a dinner date with someone special and Sesshoumaru gets jealous-

Sesshou: (huffs) This Sesshoumaru does not get jealous.

Sango: On top of that, there's my wedding plans and a new officer in Kouga's department. Hey, down below is the list of everyone who reviewed. SF didn't have time to respond personally, so if you asked something that you really wanted to be answered please ask again and she'll get back with you as soon as possible. Oh, and if you like A Light in Guiding Darkness as much as you like this fic, then you should really see the picture Dark Neko-Chan drew for it. It's really cool and I bet if you ask SF will send it to you!

Next Chapter for Second Chance: Chapter Fifteen: The Green Eyed Monster Strikes Again!

lolly pop queen of geiko, ficfan, Venomous_Angel_of_Hades, mystical_saiya666, Tsukiyo_Kitsune_tears, Kawaii Inuyoukai, sesshoumaru lover1, Kitsune_Bi, butterfly demonessgirl, sango16, Hanoi, Lunabelle, lil_angel, akuma_river, lil_rei_chan*, Chryblosom04, SilverFangedTiger, Luscious