InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Pain ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: No!. Don’t own it. Oh well. Le Sob! Le Cry! Le Whimper!!


Author’s Note: I received this question a couple of times and thought that, instead of sending individual answers to the same question, I’d just post the answer here. This chapter begins the month of June for this story. This story is about two or three months behind real life. Sorry about the confusion. (Taps scepter against her chair) On with the chapter!



Chapter Thirty-Five: Pain





Mrs. Takisai blinked, her eyes throbbing and weary as she stared at her computer screen. Four hours of searching and still she found nothing. Not one of her family members were suitable to handle a child as . . .complicated as Shippou. Some had families and little ones of their own, while others were too old or busy to be attentive to Shippou’s needs.


She was starting on a new search when a throbbing pain exploded in her head. Mrs. Takisai groaned softly, her head in her hands as she stood up, pushed away from the computer desk and stumbled to her nearby bed. Trembling hands poured herself a glass of water from a nearby carafe. She popped a pair of aspirin into her mouth and swallowed them down with a mouthful of water. She groaned again, the pain fluctuating as it increased in intensity, and collapsed onto the bed.


Her eyes glanced toward the window, the night breeze cool as it gently blew through the open panes and brushed aside the beautiful ivory curtains
. They fluttered like the wings of an angel, the lacy fabric framing the darkness outside. Her eyes glazed over before they closed, a great breath whooshing from her lungs as the pain began to ebb away.


“Shippou,” she whispered to the midnight air and the emptiness of her room.


“I’m sorry. . .”


(I)


Inuyasha glanced over his chopsticks at her, his steak suspended in mid air as Kagome made kissy faces at his brother. Sesshoumaru -or Chance- rolled his eyes but allowed her to hold his great head in her hands, their noses rubbed together as she continued praising the fluffy white mass of egotistical dog.


“You’re the cutest thingy-wingy in the whole wide world!” she happily cooed while she rubbed her cheek against his fuzzy forehead. “Yes you are! Yes you are! Who’s the cutest baby in the whole wide world! You a-“


“Alright damn!” Inuyasha growled from his side of the dinner table. “Like I need to hear that shit at this time of night! Man, the nightmares I’m gonna have!”

“Oh hush,” Kagome sang and continued petting the mammoth canine. “You just wish you had someone to pet your fur and scratch behind your ears.”


“Don’t remind me,” Inuyasha muttered grumpily and pushed what little remained of his dinner around his plate. “Friggin’ dog’s got all the luck.”


“What was that?”


“Nuthin.” Inuyasha grinned suddenly, his gaze landing on Kagome first before falling to the keys sitting in the middle of the table. “Have I ever told you about those keys?”


“Huh?” Kagome stopped petting Chance long enough to look up, then she too glanced toward the keys and shrugged. “What’s so great about them?”


“Well, nothing actually,” Inuyasha admitted with a shrug of his own. He downed a quick swallow of sake and palmed the multi-hued keys in his hand.


“See, the keys are colored for a reason,” he began and grasped the blue key. “This key is to my place. This key is the master for anything in there that needs unlocking. The silver key is to your apartment and-“


“So THAT’S how you get up here!” Kagome accused with her finger pointed sharply at him. “Inuyasha you perv! Gimme that key!”


“Hell naw!” Inuyasha retorted and quickly snatched the key out of her reach. “You’re crazy as hell if you think I’m just gonna give this to you! We might have a fire or something and the fire department might need to get up here.”


“Fine,” Kagome sighed and rubbed a flustered hand against her eye. “Keep the key. Your reason actually makes sense for once.”


“OK, screw you,” Inuyasha replied, his right eyebrow twitching in agitation. “I have plenty of good ideas!Plenty! You know what? Never mind.” He stood up, picked up his plate and placed it into the nearby dishwasher. “And here I was, going to give you something since you swear you’ve had nothing to do today. I guess helping Shiori file papers on your day off was your idea of fun. . .Instead of exploring. . .”


“Exploring?”


Inuyasha turned and grinned, waiting patiently while his bait worked on the young woman like waves crashing into sandy shores.


“What kind of exploring? Please tell me Inuyasha!”

Inuyasha laughed at how easily she had been fooled. Truly she deserved a day off, with her cousin in the hospital and everything that happened in the past month. The senator’s daughter was found at the end of a dark hallway at the base of the pit. She was alive, though a bit scared, and happy to get out once the FBI opened her cage and released her. Chance-or Brave Pup Saves Woman and US Child from Vengeful Kidnapper! as the international papers headlined him- had been named a hero by the President of the US and the Prime Minister of Japan, and given a medal for his bravery.


Kagome had been stressed recently but graceful under the pressure. She would go to work in the mornings, visit Sango in the hospital in the afternoons and deliver clothes to the hospital for Miroku in the evenings. By the time she came home she was tired and would fall asleep wherever she sat down first.


‘She needs the break,’ he said to himself as Kagome continued to plead for his forgiveness. ‘A little adventure should do her good.’


“Alright, calm down,” Inuyasha finally said and held out his hands to stop her from bouncing around in front of him. He waited until she quieted to free one of the three red keys from his key ring. “Here you go imoto,” he said and waved the ruby metal before her wide sapphire orbs. “Your key to adventure, to a place far beyond your wildest dreams.”


“Where does it go?” Kagome asked and huffed when he turned and walked out of the room. “Inuyasha!” She followed after him at a slow trot and asked again while they waited for the elevator doors to open.


“Oh no,” Inuyasha replied with a shake of his dark head. “I’m not telling you a thing. You’re going to have to find out on your own.” He adjusted his tie and stepped onto the elevator. “Have fun Kagome,” he said and waved before the elevator doors closed behind him with a soft ‘ding’ of its bell.


“Oooooo!” Kagome pouted irritably. “I just hate him sometimes!” She studied the red key against her own, her eyes narrowed slightly as she tried to figure out the differences between the two. Her silver key looked just like any other key with a square head and a smaller rectangular indent in the center of the key’s head. The red mushroom sticker in the middle was a gift from Shippou, a tracking device of sorts the thoughtful little kitsune had given her after she forgot where she managed to lose her keys. . .for the third time that day.


The red key was shaped the same way, with the same rectangular indent in the center of the key’s square head. The only discernable difference to Kagome was the small circle in the center of it with the numbers 1207 engraved on the rectangle.


“Hm,” Kagome said to herself. “I wonder. . .” She turned her key into the elevator’s keyhole then stepped past the open doors, pushed the red key into the keyhole waiting on the inside, and turned it. The elevator whirled to life, the ride in the small cab shorter than usual before the elevator stopped and the doors slid open.


Kagome stepped out into a hallway, her pearl blue sneakers silent against the thick, plush carpet that ran from one end of the hallway to the other. There were two doors, one painted a plain white and the other painted in a rosy hue that matched her new key. She stepped toward it fearlessly, inserted the key and turned the knob.


Sunlight greeted her instantly, and Kagome blinked and raised her hands to shield her eyes as she closed the door. Her eyes adjusted slowly and when they did Kagome literally gaped at her surroundings. The apartment was vastly different than her own with it set to look more like a studio or a great room. There was a mirrored wall that reminded her of the one in her apartment, except this one had a gap that opened to another part of the apartment.


The studio walls were painted a soothing, neutral toffee that calmed her the moment she gazed upon them. The cabinets and counters of the open kitchen were pale as well, with glass doors in place of some of the cabinet doors. Kagome kicked off her shoes, placed them neatly on a small mat beside the door, and stepped up the small landing to the rest of the large space. Her feet padded soundlessly across the cherry wood floor, the wooden boards stained a deep mocha that reminded her of rich, fragrant coffee. She held her hands firmly clasped to the front of her ribbed navy blue tank top as she ventured further, her curious eyes drinking in her surroundings.


Her hip brushed past a recliner, the rough, scratchy sound of her denim shorts against the black fabric muffled by the plush insides of the lush piece of furniture. She stopped to run her hands along its nubbly surface before going on, past the couch to the low coffee table in the center of the space. It was made of wrought iron, the silver metallic shimmering in the fading sunlight, with a strong piece of oval glass perched precariously on top.


Kagome reached down and smiled as she picked up one of a pair of twin cochin ceramic dogs painted in vivid golds, greens and reds. They each had their own indigo ball, with the one on the table standing on his while the one in Kagome’s hand merely sat with a paw resting firmly on top of it.


“How cute,” she softly cooed as she traced one of the dog’s jade green eyebrows. She returned it to it’s brother’s side and turned toward the rest of the table’s contents. Other than the dogs, the only thing left was a thick, leather bound book and a brass bookmark with a painted opera mask jutting from the book’s pages. The book was an antique, it’s kanji an old version of Japanese she barely understood but the contents easily recognizable once she flipped through the book’s pages.


‘Wow,’ Kagome said to herself as she read through the dedication. ‘Where did he get a first edition printing of Journey to the West?’ She returned the book to the table and walked toward the only door in the room, stopping momentarily to gently graze her index finger along the engraving of a crane and pine tree carved onto the surface of an inkstone she found resting as a paperweight on a nearby desk. To her surprise she found a pine wood lacquered case, with a set of brushes and an inkstick nestled inside. Kagome smiled to herself and traced the silver phoenix painted on the case’s lid. She made sure to leave everything as she left it before opening the small door beside the refrigerator.


Wow,” Kagome breathed aloud, her echo lost to her ears as she stared in admiration and open jealousy at the enormous bathroom that laid hidden behind the plain white, unassuming bathroom door. The natural slate tile was cool underneath her feet. Kagome closed her eyes and sighed, relishing the feeling of the pocked stone as she wiggled her toes. The moment was brief and Kagome found herself standing in front of one of the two cabinets standing guard on either side of the door. ‘How. . .odd,’ she said and opened one of the cabinets. ‘But beautiful.’


Other than the cabinets the bathroom seemed perfectly normal, except it had no tub or shower. Kagome couldn’t remember there being another door outside the apartment so she couldn’t help but wonder where they could have been. In addition to not having a tub, the bathroom did have what appeared to be a series of grates embedded in the floor. Above it was another plate, this one with four separated sections with varying degrees of holes in each one. Nearby were three knobs mounted onto the wall and Kagome reached (without thinking) and turned on the first one.


She shrieked in surprise when the four plates sputtered to life. A slight choking sound came from the pipes first, then a light mist of cool water burst forth from the plate with the tiny holes.


“It’s a shower!” Kagome cried and clapped her hands in surprise. “How awesome!” She played with it for a little while longer before finally quitting the room. She turned the corner at the wall and stopped again, this time in the center of the gap in the wall as her eyes finally fell onto what could only be the bedroom. A large clothes cabinet was stationed on one side of the gap, a smaller dresser was placed on the left and in the center, it nestled between two nightstands and facing the large office style windows, was a massive bed. The futon was raised off the floor by a dark wooden platform that was barely half a foot off of the floor. The white pillows contrasted sharply with the black comforter.


Kagome reached out and touched the beautiful embroidery, her fingers tracing the silver threaded waves, the large carp that swam along their dark seas shaded in shades of bright fuchsias, dark chocolates, blood reds, and creamy tans.


The last of the sunlight finally relented, the gradual receding of light unnoticed until Kagome stood in the dark. It lasted but a few moments before a noise sounded in the room, like a grandfather clock being wound or a spring being tightened someplace nearby. She turned just as a blue light began to glow at the bedside and it wasn’t long before the futon was bathed in a soft teal light. On the left bedside table sat a pumpkin shaped lamp made of black wire and blue gauze with vented swirls in the cloth that allowed the light to escape through.


Kagome only had a few seconds to enjoy the light before another flared to life behind her. She turned just as the city of Tokyo began to glow, her jaw slightly unhinged as the buildings began to shine like stars.


“This whole place is so amazing,” Kagome breathed as she gazed out of the windows. “But where am I? Who’s apartment am I in?”


“Mine.”


Kagome gasped and turned around, her fingers splayed over her full lips as Sesshoumaru set down his duffle bag and crossed the space toward her. Kagome blushed furiously, her eyes downcast as he flicked on an overhead light. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”


“I’m really sorry,” Kagome stammered around her rapidly beating heart. “Inuyasha gave me the keys and-“


“Good,” Sesshoumaru interrupted and sat down on the edge of the futon. “I thought the baka had forgotten.”


“To do what?” Kagome asked. “Give me a key?”


He nodded and she huffed, slightly irritated at his answer, and folded her arms across her chest. “Why didn’t you give me your key, Smarty-Pants?”


“Knowing you, even if I had given you the key you still would not have used it. Besides,,” Sesshoumaru began while he shrugged out of his dark suit jacket. “What fun would that be if I just gave it to you?”

“Oh great,” Kagome groaned, her hand over her eyes as he hung his coat up in the nearby clothes closet. “I’m surrounded.”


“Come now,” she heard Sesshoumaru say as he gently grasped her wrist and pulled her toward his waiting arms. “You are being over dramatic.”


“Well I wouldn’t be if you and Inuyasha would just-“ She fell silent, her earlier ire forgotten in the blink of an eye as his lips pressed softly against hers. She responded to him eagerly, her lips parting at his tongue’s request as she fisted her hands into the cotton material of his shirt. The fleshy appendage was agonizingly slow against her own and she stepped willingly into the awakening burn that began to pool in her belly. She sighed when his hand raised her shirt, his fingertips going no further than her tummy as they lightly caressed her heated skin.


Kagome vaguely remembered falling but couldn’t bring herself to be concerned as Sesshoumaru’s hand moved from her front to the small of her back. When they finally separated she pulled up, not back, and used her arms to prop herself up onto his broad chest.


“I hear you’ve had an interesting month,” Sesshoumaru pleasantly rumbled, amber orbs darting toward the side of his head when she reached out and began to play with a strand of his onyx locks. “How are you fairing?”


“I”m fine,” Kagome giggled while she twirled his hair around her finger. “I’m not the one who’s had it. Sango’s still in the hospital but her doctors said that she should recover soon.


“And you should’ve seen Chance!” she suddenly beamed with a proud grin. “He was so brave, standing there in front of the P.M and receiving that medal! I have to show you the picture I took! I think it’s on my bedside table!”


“Now hold on,” Sesshoumaru called and hooked his finger into the waistline of her shorts to keep her from stepping off the bed. He pulled her back down and rolled over, this time with his arms bent at her sides.


“But Sesshoumaru-“


“Would you not like to hear how much I’ve missed you. . .”


“You. . .missed me?” was Kagome’s answer. She quieted almost instantly, wide sapphire orbs downcast as a light blush dusted along the apples of her cheeks. Her shyness, even after all they had done the last time he ‘visited’, was endearing. She was strong, strong enough to offer her shoulder to cry on, but something about her made her fragile. Something about her made him want to protect her, made him want more than to just protect her, and though he didn’t know what this feeling could be he knew that-


Sesshoumaru blinked, Kagome’s blush darkening considerably as the rumbling of her stomach vibrated against his chest.


“Miko, do you ever eat?”

(II)


The morning sunlight streamed down on him, leaving Shippou in a golden puddle as he huffed and puffed. His practice lasted all night, and all night he struggled with the few martial arts he could remember his father teaching him. He finally gave those up somewhere around three am after an idea suddenly blossomed in his weary mind.


‘Why fight,’ he’d said to himself in the middle of his katas. ‘When I can use my youki and magic?’


From then on his practice took on a more dangerous turn, with his room shielded from his numerous attempts by an incantation his father taught him. On into the night he worked, his youki surging and swirling around him and crashing in giant waves against the walls surrounding him, until something finally broke within him.


The burning suddenly stopped, his mind cleared and in a flash of light he stood and yipped, all fur, paws
, and claws.


‘I. . .I did it
!’ he said to himself. ‘I. . .I DID IT!!!’ He raised his pointy snout proudly and yipped his triumph into the night air.


Now changing back. . .that was the hard part.


“But I did it,” Shippou grinned and planted the palms of his hands firmly on the floor. He pushed himself up, a slight groan escaping his clenched teeth, and stumbled toward his bedroom door. The protection spell dissipated with little more than a teeny ping the moment he touched the door knob. He stumbled down the hallway, tired but happy, and pushed his grandmother’s door open.


“Grandma, guess what?” Shippou rushed as fast as he could to the bed. He was in mid belly flop when he caught Mrs. Takisai’s scent. He froze in mid air like a startled cat and rolled to the side, barely missing her as the stench of death, blood and disease wafted
from her small body.


“Grandma,” Shippou called as he returned to the bed, cautiously this time, and reached for her shoulder. Lifeless brown eyes stared back at him, her lips parted slightly as a thin line of blood from her nose began to crust over and dry.


“Oh Grandma,” the young kitsune whispered, his eyes fading to a dull green as a single tear slipped down his cheek. “Not you too. . .”


)-(


Sesshoumaru yawned, his mouth stretched in a dog-like gesture with his canine teeth glinting in the sunlight. He stretched a little, ignoring the slight weight on his back as he allowed his muscles and tendons to-


He flinched, then turned and shot a glare over his shoulder. “Was that necessary?” he growled at the young woman sitting on his back. She grinned back and raised her hand, ready to give his exposed buttocks another playful whack when he grabbed her hand.


“Aw, come on,” Kagome protested as he returned her hand to his shoulder. “It’s not like I actually hurt you or anything.” She giggled when he continued to pout. “Aw, I’m sorry,” she apologized and leaned down to place a soft kiss in the center of his shoulder blades. He growled again, this time a bit more pleasantly than last time, and loosened his shoulders.


“Onna,” he closed his eyes and purred when she went back to kneading the knots in his back and shoulders. “You are far too clever.”


“Wow, is that the same as coming with a warning label?” Kagome asked and laughed when he rolled his eyes. “You know, that sounds like admiration. . .” She gasped when he rolled over and pushed her, her lithe body bouncing slightly on soft futon before his body covered hers.


“Hey!” Kagome laughed and popped him over the head with a nearby pillow. “You should tell someone before you do something like that.”


“And why,” Sesshoumaru began as he slowly traced a finger down the silky curve of her thigh. “Would I want to do-“


Ring-Ring!


Ring-Ring!

Kagome reached over her head to the nearby nightstand and glanced at her phone’s display. Her brow furrowed in confusion when she read the incoming call and shrugged before picking it up. “Hello? Yes, this is Higurashi-san.” She averted her eyes, finding Sesshoumaru’s dark hair and light gaze too distracting. He poked her lightly in her side and she whacked him again with her pillow. “Stop it,” she mouthed. “Repeat that.”


Why did she have to pick up that phone? His inu complained from his subconscious. Only ningen would invent something so damned inconvenient!


Though he could not hear or see his inu, he and the beast definitely seemed to share the same thoughts . . .at this moment. He wanted to continue where he and Kagome left off last night and when she turned on her stomach and scooted a little further up the bed he took it as an opportunity to get her to . . .see things his way.


‘Horny puppy,’ Kagome grumbled to herself when he began to tease her free ear. She did lean her head down when he lifted her hair and closed her eyes and sighed when his attentions went to the back of her neck. Through it all she managed to hear some of what was being said to her and she froze, her inhale sharp against the silence in the room as she sat up and clutched the sheets to her chest.


“What? When did this happen?”

Oh well, the inu growled unhappily. There went that pleasant and happy experience. She promised whomever it was that she would hurry and quickly hung up the phone, her gaze frantic as she turned to Sesshoumaru.


“I’m really, really sorry,” she said as she stepped off the bed and reached for her shorts. “I-Its-I’m-Where is my shirt?!”


“Here miko, wear mine.” He reached down the side of the bed and handed her his white dress shirt, the crisp cotton slightly crumpled now, and watched her shrug into it from the center of the futon.


“I’m so, so sorry Sesshoumaru,” Kagome said and dashed toward the front door. Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and yawned, but opened them again when he heard her running back. She quickly hopped onto the bed, grasped his shoulders and placed a quick, but smoldering kiss to his surprised lips. “I’ll make this up to you.”


“See that you do,” Kagome heard him call as she shoved her feet into her shoes and flung his door opened. “Oh,” she gasped when she nearly ran into Inuyasha, who was standing on the other side. “I’m so sorry, Inu-chan.”


“It’s no problem.” She ran past him into the elevator and in her rush forgot to be embarrassed about him catching her coming out of his brother’s apartment so early in the morning. Inuyasha watched her go before stepping inside Sesshoumaru’s apartment and closing the door.


“What is it hanyou?”


‘Woah,’ Inuyasha grunted in surprise as Sesshoumaru finished tying a pair of white unhakamas around his waist. ‘How did he. . .but he’s not. . .’


“Your confusion is flattering,” Sesshoumaru said and walked barefoot past Inuyasha to the kitchen. “But I am sure you are not here to ruin an otherwise perfect morning.”


“Yeah well, with the way Kagome streaked out of here, I doubt that morning can be salvaged anyway.”


Sesshoumaru glanced over his shoulder and pinned Inuyasha with a glare that could freeze magma. “The point, Inuyasha,” the older youkai turned human rumbled and, to Inuyasha’s shocked amazement, the eye staring him began to glow a vicious crimson. Inuyasha’s mouth fell open, whatever he wanted to say forgotten as green slowly began to infect the warm honey of Sesshoumaru’s irises.


Sesshoumaru huffed silently at Inuyasha’s stupor, figuring that Inuyasha forgot what he wanted to say and turned to him. “Speak your mind Inuyasha.”


The eye returned to normal and Inuyasha relaxed, though not entirely as he kept a wary gaze on his brother. ‘It’s been centuries since I was scared like that,’ he said to himself as his heart struggled to return to it’s normal rhythm. ‘Damn, what’s happening with that spell?!’

Sesshoumaru cleared his throat, crossed his arms and leaned back against the kitchen counter, a sure sign that his patience was waning.


“Yeah,” Inuyasha finally began after a calming breath. “We have a problem. The Fire of the East’s heir, his guardian died this morning.”


0-0


The small blue house stood in the late morning sunlight, the glow of the light behind it giving its old frame and tired shutters a peaceful, warm appearance in spite of the police, ambulance, and coroner vehicles scattered along the front lawn. Uniformed officers stood talking at the base of the front steps while the coroner worked on the inside. Four youkai occupied the porch, though the humans around them were unaware. To the officials the four on the porch appeared to be human, all of them, including the red-headed child that stared aimlessly into the distance from his seat on the porch steps.


“Shippou-sama,” Jininji heavily sighed as he sat down beside him. “I’m sorry she couldn’t say goodbye. We weren’t expecting her to die so quickly. ”


“But you were expecting her to die.”


Jininji looked up, his pearl lavender eyes troubled as they connected with Shujin’s. “Well, yes,” Jininji finally answered. “She was old, older than most ningen get to be, and-“


“No,” Shippou interrupted with an empty shake of his head. “You knew she was going to die soon. All of you. I could smell whatever was killing her when I came in her room. She was sick long before this and you hid it from me.”


The older youkai merely glanced at one another, somehow knowing that sooner or later Shippou would have been able to see through Shujin’s glamour spell anyway, even without Mrs. Takisai’s death. The young youkai’s spiritual ki had jumped considerably since the last time the three had seen him and even now, as small as he was, he would have been a close match for his late father.


“Shippou-san,” Ginta began as he sat on Shippou’s opposite side. “You must understand that we only-“ They all looked up at the revving of an engine and watched as a small blue car came down the street. The dark blue flames on the side of the car shimmered brightly in the sunlight and before either of the youkai could say a word, or the car was fully stopped, Kagome was out of the car and running down the sidewalk.


Her hair was still damp from her shower and her long denim shorts and cotton tank top were less than professional, but she was there, tears shimmering in her deep soulful eyes as she stooped down and swooped the grieving kitsune in her arms. The older youkai watched as she cradled him, his claws sinking into the front of her shirt nearest her heart as he closed his eyes and, for the first time since this morning, relaxed and allowed himself to cry. The tears slipped silently down Shippou’s small cheeks and Kagome held him in her arms like a babe.


“I’m so sorry Shippou,” Kagome whispered as she continued to hold him. “I’m so very sorry. But the people we love, they don’t leave us when they die.”


“They-sniff-they don’t?” was Shippou’s hopeful answer as he gazed up at her. “Then what happens?”


Kagome sat down on the last porch step and waited until Shippou was comfortable in her lap, a gentle smile on her lips while he used her hair- of all things -to dry his face,continuing. “I believe that a part of them stays with us. The part that loves us, that cares for us and has always protected us will stay with us, in here-“ She tapped the front of Shippou’s pyjama shirt softly. Her smile waned briefly when he grasped his shirt in sad wonder, as if to hope that what she was saying was true was too painful to think of.


“They watch over us, and they smile when we do well-“


“Like when we learn how to do something hard?” Shippou interrupted.


Kagome nodded. “Uh-huh. And they cry when we do, but they’re always there and they always protect us. But it’s ok to cry when your sad and you miss her, ok Shippou?”


Shippou nodded, he and Kagome unaware of the close scrutiny the pair were under as the other tai looked on. Shujin watched them with a cold, calculating intensity, his mind whirling with the beginnings of a plan. . .


Because when Mrs. Takisai died, she left without fulfilling her last duty. . .She had not named her successor.


(IV)


Inuyasha growled angrily, the people in the elevator around him warily glancing back at him as he continued to argue with the person on the other end of his cell phone.


“No, Shujin, I don’t think it’s a good idea,” Inuyasha replied and glanced up when the elevator doors wretched open. The elevator had not yet arrived on his floor so he returned to his conversation, unaware of the relief on the faces of those who stepped off as they glanced back at the other passengers with a sympathetic gaze.


“Yeah, I realize that she’s been dead three weeks, but I don’t see how-“ Inuyasha listened, his hazel orbs narrowed to mere slits as a rumble began in his chest. “I’m telling you, you can’t just walk up to people and-But you’re not listening!”


The elevator doors opened again, and another set of grateful office employees rushed off the elevator before the doors closed. Inuyasha looked up and found himself alone.


“No, Shujin, you don’t understand. That’s what’s wrong with you older tai. You think you know every-damned-thing!” Inuyasha paused again, ignoring the threatening snap from the youkai as he tried-once again-to press his point. “This isn’t the Feudal Era! You can’t just walk up to a ningen and demand they do something for you! Especially this one! Why?! Are you fucking kidding me?!! No, I am NOT being over dramatic! Look, all I’m saying is that you should ask first, not walk up like the kuma you are and threaten her!”


Inuyasha sighed and shook his head, then stepped off the elevator and retreated to his office. “OK then,” Inuyasha finally said as he sat down behind his desk. “But I’m telling you, trying to force her to do something isn’t the smartest idea. Wha? Yeah, I’m calling you stupi-Hello?” Inuyasha looked down at his phone, the ‘Call Ended’ prompt scripted on the small screen, and shook his head.


“Oh well,” Inuyasha said to himself as he pulled open a desk drawer and reached inside. “He can’t say I didn’t try to warn him, now can he?”


0-0


The city of Tokyo lay in the background, the sparkling lights and exciting sounds a distant memory as the black stretch limo slowly wound it’s way through the hills of the countryside. Inside Jininji sat on one side of the luxurious passenger cabin, his posture relaxed but alert as he watched Shippou on the other side. Shippou remained in a state of silence after Mrs. Takisai’s funeral; the only sounds to come from the child were small grunts or sighs of deep sadness and depression. The only time he came out of this was when Kagome was nearby and even then he wasn’t the happy sprite he used to be.


Jininji sighed and glanced out the window, his golden eyes studying the farmland scenery around him. “I understand your trepidation Shippou-sama,” Jininji began with a glance in Shippou’s direction. “But you’ll love it at the estate. There are pools and fountains, and a massive castle to explore. The gardens are-“


“What about school?” Shippou muttered suddenly. “How will I get to school from here?”


“You’re going to have a private tutor,” Jininji replied with a grin. “Won’t that be exciting? You’ll be able to sleep as long as you want an-“


“I don’t want a tutor,” Shippou mumbled despondently. “And I don’t want to live way out here.”


“But Shippou-sama, you have to,” Jininji sighed unhappily. “The manor is the only place you can stay, at least until we find you another guardian.”


“I don’t want another ningen guardian,” Shippou shot back angrily. “Why can’t I have a youkai guardian? Why can’t you look after me?!”


“Because this is what your father wanted.”


“Well he must hate me too!” Shippou squeaked, his youki flaring in defense when Jininji grabbed his arm and jerked him violently to his side. Jininji’s eyes, normally calm pools of liquid gold, were furious burning orbs infested with angry black fingers that surged in barely leashed control.


“Don’t ever-ever-say such things!” Jininji snarled in the young youkai’s face. “I will not hear you besmirch your father in such a way!!”


“Then why!” Shippou cried out loud. “Why did he make it so I have to stay with this ningen guardians? All they ever do is leave! I hate them!”


“Oh.” Jininji stopped, his earlier fury slowly ebbing away when Shippou finally broke down. He lifted the crying child to his shoulder and slowly exhaled. “You don’t hate Kagome-san, now do you?” he softly asked once Shippou’s crying slowed.

Shippou shook his head, his forehead brushing lightly against Jininji’s shoulder.


“See, you don’t hate all ningen,” Jininji replied and used his pocket handkerchief to dry Shippou’s face.


“Yeah,” Shippou nodded. “But I don’t have to worry about Kagome leaving me ‘cause she doesn’t have to look after me.”


“That’s true,” Jininji agreed with a nod of his own. “But I think that Kagome would want to stay with you, if she could.”


“Yeah right,” Shippou snorted aloud. “But why Jin, why did Otou-san want ningen to look after me?”


“Well, we weren’t sure at first,” Jininji replied with a far away look. “When Ryu-sama died, we thought that he had gone mad when we read that part of the will. That is why, at first, Shujin, myself, Ginta and the Western steward ignored that part of the will. We went along with everything else, like you being the sole heir, your mother being secluded from the estate and any financial assets, yada-yada-yada.”


“Yeah, I know all that stuff.”


“I’m sure that you do,” Jininji smiled. “So we allowed you to live with your mother, figuring that she would be the best person for you to stay with. We didn’t realize how wrong we were.


“Before your father died, you were bubbly, happy and-like all kitsune-sly and mischievous. It was so hard to keep you out of trouble-“


“Yeah, but that’s why you’re with me,” Shippou replied as he scooted out of Jininji’s lap. “‘Cause you can keep up with me, even though you cheat when we go swimming.”


“What do you expect from an otter youkai?” Jininji laughed and winced when Shippou’s clawed fingertip poked his side. “Anyway,” he continued after a good laugh. “We realized how wrong we were after a while. Your demeanor changed, but the Council ignored it for. . .our own reasons really. It was when the ningen took you away, and we saw your hand, that we realized how wrong we were.”

They looked down at the circular bulls-eye scar in the center of Shippou’s outstretched hand. “We should have listened to Ryu-sama,” Jininji whispered as he traced the marks. “We thought we knew what was best and we ended up hurting you. I’m so sorry Shippou.”


Shippou looked up, into his guardian’s face, and saw regret for the first time since his father’s death. He patted Jininji’s cheek like he did when he was smaller, a sign of trust between the two as the time silently ticked away around them.


“Mrs. Takisai changed all that. I think she did a lot for you, a lot to heal you,” Jininji confessed once he collected himself. “We didn’t think she could, but she did.”


“I’m gonna miss her Jin.”


“I know Shippou-sama,” Jininji sighed and gave Shippou a comforting hug. “I’m gonna miss her too.”


0-0



To say she was surprised would have been an understatement, so it was no wonder she reacted the way she did.


Shujin stepped back, startled, and glanced back at the door behind him. “Well, well, Higurashi-san,” he growled as he plucked free the small knife embedded in the door’s wooden frame free. “You are not as fragile as you seem.”


“If only more people realized that before they came barging into my office door,” Kagome snapped back and narrowed her eyes at him. “But then again, you’re the only person who’s ever tried to knock my door down like you’re a narc.”


“Hn.” Shujin turned to lock the door, then crossed the room to the empty desk in the room and sat down behind it. “I take it the other one is still hospitalized?”


“If you’re talking about my sister Sango, then yeah, she is.” Kagome stood up, her hands on her hips as she glowered at the taiyoukai. “What are you doing here anyway?”


“My, my,” Shujin tisked in disappointment and waved her own knife at her in admonishment. “Such behavior Sunset Miko. You should be more polite, as is your station.”


“Yeah, well I’m feeling a little stressed.” Kagome sighed and ran a hand over her face in frustration. “Is there something wrong with Shippou?”


Shujin quirked a brow at her, ignoring her pointed glare when he propped his feet onto Sango’s neatly kept desk. “Should something be wrong with the Eastern heir?”

“Jeez, are all taiyoukai like this?” Kagome countered angrily. “Look, you’re the one who shows up at my office, unannounced I might add, and take over-“


“So glad you noticed my superiority, little Sunset onna,” Shujin interrupted blandly. “That will make things so much easier.”


“Will make what so much easier?” Kagome demanded hotly. “And just what is going on? Is Shippou alright or not?”


“The East is fine,” Shujin breathed calmly, his silver orbs focused on the knife in his hand. “A little disappointed about being pulled out of school-“


“You pulled him out of school!” Kagome burst out suddenly. “For what?! Don’t you know that he has to go to school?!”


“Of course I do you silly ningen,” Shujin shot back, his eyes finally focused on her as she glared down at him. “I’m well aware of the inane laws you ningen dream up during your ‘power sessions’. It was prudent for him to acquire a tutor until another guardian is found.”


“But still,” Kagome replied in a much calmer manner. “I mean, was it necessary to pull him out of school? What about his friends?”


“What about them? Shippou is the soon heir to the second most powerful providence in the land. He will have little need of friends.”


“That’s so messed up,” Kagome disagreed angrily. “Of course he needs friends! He needs as many constants in his life as he can get! Why are you-“


“What he needs,” Shujin continued as if Kagome had never spoken. “Is a guardian, and this is an area that you may be able to help with.”


“Um. . .really?” Kagome blinked, surprised that the arrogant taiyoukai would ask her for anything, no less for help with something. “Uh, how can I help. . .and why do you keep calling me ‘Sunset Miko’?”


“That is your title, Higurashi-san,” he informed her as he finally stood up. “And you would agree that the young lord needs a stable environment, yes?”


“Yeah,” Kagome nodded slowly. “And?”



“And,” Shujin continued and walked around the desk toward her. “That Shippou should be with someone who understands and can handle his many ‘attributes’?”

“Yes, I agree with you so far.”


“And, that Shippou should be with someone he trusts, someone he has an attachment with?”


“OK,” Kagome nodded again. “I’m with you so far. So. . .where is this going exactly?”


“Only that, Higurashi-san,” Shujin said as he stepped closer to her and looked down at her defiant form. “You are fitting and I have decided that you shall be Shippou’s guardian.”


“Huh?” Kagome replied in surprise. “You want me to-well, I don’t see why not. I love the little guy. Of course I’ll take care of him.”


“Perfect,” Shujin responded quickly. “Then everything is settled. When do you plan to resign?”


RESIGN?!” Kagome shrieked at him. “Resign from WHAT?!”


“There is no need to shout, onna!” he countered in a vicious snarl. “Resign from here of course. You have no need of this job, as all of your time will be spent at the young lord’s side.”


“Wait a second,” Kagome breathed out with a disbelieving laugh. “You mean to tell me that, if I adopt Shippou then I’ll have to quit my job?! Why? How am I supposed to support us if I can’t work?”


“There is a monetary clause in the will that will provide for you and him,” Shujin informed her. “There will be no need for an onna to work anyway. Your job will be to care for Shippou-san, as it should be for all onna to care for children.”


“Wow,” Kagome shook her head. “That sexist comment aside, I’m gonna need some time.”


“Time?” Shujin repeated, his turn to be surprised as he quirked a disbelieving brow at her. “Time for?”


“To decide,” Kagome shot back and stomped toward the door. “Because I love my job, and-“


“And you do not ‘love’ Shippou, then?”


“That’s not it at all!” Kagome snapped furiously. “This is a big decision and-and-and who are YOU to come in here and demand answers from me!”


“Higurashi-“

“I. . .I need time to think.” She unlocked and opened the door, her silence and her lowered head her answer as she waited for him to leave.


“We will not wait forever, miko,” Shujin warned her. “It is you, or it is no one at all.” Kagome waited for him to leave, then shut the door behind him and sat down on the floor with her back against it.


“What do I do?” she asked the empty room as she ran her fingers through the fringes of her bang. ‘I mean, I love Shippou, and if they really think I can take care of him then I will but. . .can I really give up my job? What about my cases?’


“I guess my decision should be whom to save,” she whispered to herself as she gazed out the window at the open Japanese sky. “One. . .or many?”


(V)


Mrs. Higurashi hummed softly to herself, her mind elsewhere as she stirred the contents inside the large plastic bowl in her hands. She smiled happily, both at the thought of the lemon drop cake in progress and the fact that Sango was coming out of the hospital later on that afternoon. Miroku planned to bring her to the shrine house once she was released and Kagome-


‘Kagome was supposed to be here earlier, helping out with the rest of dinner,’ Mrs. Higurashi said to herself with a shake of her head. ‘I wonder where that girl is. . .’


“Hey Okaa-san.”


“Well hi,” Mrs. Higurashi greeted and smiled when Kagome kissed her cheek. “And just where have you been? And what’s that?” she asked once she spied the mailing envelope in Kagome’s hand.


“Oh, this? It’s some pictures I had developed.”


“Let me see.” Kagome passed her mother the white envelope and waited, her hands clasped firmly in front of her as her mother took out the pictures and gasped. “Kagome,” she said as she turned to her eldest. “When was this taken? Who is this darling little boy with you?”


“That’s Shippou, Okaa-san, and I need to tell you something.”


This sounded serious and Mrs. Higurashi prepared herself for the worst as she sat down at the round kitchen table in the center of the room. “What is it?” she asked as Kagome sat down across from her and sighed. “Is there something wrong?”


“No, nothing wrong, I’m just. . .well, I don’t know what to do,” Kagome admitted softly. “I was hoping for some advice.”

“Well sure baby,” Mrs. Higurashi replied with a gentle smile. “I’ll help as best I can, you know that.”


“Yeah, I know,” Kagome nodded solemnly. “Shippou- the little boy in the picture with me- he’s one of the kids I work with.”


“Oh,” Mrs. Higurashi drawled out with an understanding nod. “I see.”


“Well, he’s had it rough with his father dying and CPS removing him from his mother’s home and everything,” Kagome continued. “Normally I’d have a real problem with telling you all of this but, if you say what I think you’re going to say then it won’t really matter.”


“Huh?” Mrs. Higurashi brow creased in confusion. “I don’t understand.”


“Shippou’s guardian died earlier this month-“


“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that,” Mrs. Higurashi interrupted.


Kagome nodded in acknowledge. “And his people are looking for another guardian for him. They asked me.”


“Oh wow, baby,” Mrs. Higurashi breathed in disbelief. “Why you?”


“Shippou’s a kid with . . .special needs,” Kagome said after a moment’s thought. “And I’m one of the few nin-I mean, I’m one of the few people who know about it.”


“And that’s why they asked you?” Mrs. Higurashi guessed. Kagome nodded. “That’s one of the reasons anyway. It’s just that, if I agree to adopt him-and I want to but if I do I have to. . .I have to quit my job at the CPS.”


“What? Why?” Mrs. Higurashi replied heatedly. “Is his illness that severe?”


“No, it’s not an illness,” Kagome answered with a hurried shake of her head. “Shippou’s just. . .different. That’s all. He’s not sick. But I’d have to be able to drop what I’m doing for him, which means that a career would be. . .impossible.”


“And you want to know if it’s a good idea to take him in or not?” Mrs. Higurashi guessed.


Kagome nodded.


Mrs. Higurashi glanced down at the picture in her hands, her heart warming as she smiled down at the still image of her daughter, looking so regal from her seat in the picture. Kagome’s hand was on her shoulder where it was gently clasped in the fragile hand of the red-headed child behind her. His eyes, a dark jade green in the photo, looked down on her daughter lovingly while her rare sapphire orbs gazed into the camera ahead.


“Did I ever tell you about the night you were born, Kagome?”


Kagome blinked, momentarily stunned at the sudden change in subject, and shook her head. “No, Okaa-san. You never have.”


“Well.” Mrs. Higurashi sat the picture down between them and smiled. “I’d say the story started the last two weeks of April actually. Spring was in full swing, with every flower on the shrine grounds in bloom. I remember sitting out on the porch with your father, his ear to my swollen stomach while I inhaled the scent of the vanilla orchids. He used to talk to you and would ‘translate’ what you said back to me.” Mrs. Higurashi giggled softly, her chocolate brown orbs distant and happy as she remembered. “You’re father and Ojii-san were so excited, though ojii-san for a different reason. . .”


0-0


“Don’t be ignorant Souta. Haven’t you seen the signs by now?”


“Hey,” Mrs. Higurashi said as she waddled her way out onto the porch. “What’s going on? Why are you guys fighting?”


“It’s nothing Sam,” Mr. Higurashi, a young man with piercing blue eyes, replied as he turned to her. “It’s just Otou-san, being his usual insane self-OW!”


“Don’t disrespect your elders boy!” soon to be Grandpa Higurashi replied as he sent another sound rap upside Mr. Higurashi’s head. “You know as
well as I do that the signs are there. A frost is coming soon, and maybe something worse than that.”


“But Papa,” Mrs. Higurashi replied and smiled when Mr. Higurashi reached for her. “It’s almost May. It doesn’t snow in May.”


“That’s what you think Sakura,” Grandpa Higurashi shot back fiercely. “You’ll see!!! I’m going out right now to get supplies!”


0-0


“Of course we thought he’d gone nuts,” Mrs. Higurashi said and shook her head. “And if we didn’t think so before he went to the store, we definitely thought so when he came back. He had that little rolling cart of his loaded to the brim with all kinds of things. He had rice, wasabi sauce, eggs, milk, bread, a good twenty cans of soup and other odds and ends-not including the four eight-gallon containers of gasoline. He spent hours after that connecting the generator to the house. Your father and I just left him alone and decided to wait until my mom came from America to have him seen about.”

“Did it snow?” Kagome asked.


Mrs. Higurashi nodded. “It was awful. The weatherman called it the worst late season blizzard in Japan’s history, with two and a half feet of snow falling every hour until the afternoon of the second day. Then it started to sleet and it was when the power went out that you decided you were tired of waiting.”


0-0


Mr. Higurashi turned at a startled gasp and found his wife staring at him, her face ashen with fright, as a small puddle began to widen and spread across the carpet beneath her.


“What’s wrong Sam?” he asked as he rushed toward her. Grandpa Higurashi stopped stoking the fire, curious as to what was going on as Mr. Higurashi placed the couch pillows underneath Mrs. Higurashi’s back and against her sides. “Is it the baby? Is she kicking?”


“No, not kicking,” Mrs. Higurashi shook her head. “But I think she’s ready to come out and say hello.” She gasped when the first contraction came over her, the pain unexpected as it rippled over her in nauseating waves.


Otou-san! Otou-san! Call a doctor!” Mr. Higurashi demanded as Grandpa Higurashi came out of the kitchen. “It’s the baby, otou-san! She-“


“I know Souta,” Grandpa Higurashi replied with a heavy sigh. “I’ve already called the doctor, and the nearest hospital. They can’t send anyone.”


“What?! Why not?!”


“The roads are too slick,” Grandpa Higurashi replied. “And the street machines are all in storage. No one was expecting this storm, so everything they could have done to prepare for it wasn’t done in time. Any ambulances that are already out are stuck in either snow or freezing sludge
.


Great Kami-sama, what are we to do?” Mr. Higurashi stood up and began to pace, his face ghostly white while Mrs. Higurashi breathed through another contraction. “We have to get her to a doctor otou-san. Samantha can’t have the baby here! We don’t know anything about birthing a child!”


“Of course we do,” Grandpa Higurashi replied heatedly. “We’re men of a holy shrine! We performed these duties all the time in the Feudal Era!”


“Oh dear God,” Mrs. Higurashi muttered in English. “Please don’t let him deliver my baby!”


“Don’t worry Sam, I’ll think of something,” Mr. Higurashi assured her as Grandpa Higurashi pouted in a nearby doorframe.

“Hmnph! I’m offended,” he mumbled to himself as he retreated to the kitchen for a cast iron kettle. “As if I would hurt the poor girl.”


“Otou-san, not now!”


0-0


“I was so scared,” Mrs. Higurashi admitted with a laugh. “I thought your grandfather was going to deliver you. The very thought of it made me want to put on my coat and snowshoes and hike the twenty miles or so to the nearest hospital. You know, there’s an American woman who actually did that. What was her name again-“


“Okaa-san,” Kagome called out suddenly. “The story! Get back to the story! What did you guys do next?”


“Oh, right. Well, your father remembered that a vet lived a block away from us,” Mrs. Higurashi replied. “He left to go and bring him back and stayed gone for almost an hour when he came back. . .but not with the vet.”


0-0


“Sou, is that you?” Mrs. Higurashi called out when she heard the front door wrench open.


“Yeah, it’s me.”


Mrs. Higurashi breathed a sigh of relief, her eyes briefly closed as she sank back against the cushions. “Did you get the vet?” She looked up at his footsteps and stopped, taken aback at the pretty blonde at his side instead of the elderly veterinarian he was supposed to get.


“No, not yet,” Mr. Higurashi replied as he helped the woman out of her coat. “I was almost there when I heard yelling coming from a huge snowbank beside me. I found this lady-“ He gestured toward the blonde as she smiled and took off her boots. “And brought her back here.”


“Hi, my name is Anna,” the blonde introduced herself and shook Grandpa’s hand. She kneeled next to Mrs. Higurashi and smiled. “And you must be Samantha-“


“Sakura,” Grandpa countered. “She’s Japanese after all.”


“Otou-san not NOW,” Mr. Higurashi warned irritably.


Mrs. Higurashi smiled and shook her head. “Ignore th-“ She gasped, her greeting cut short as another contraction rippled through her. Anna’s face became serious. She shed her gloves and began to gently probe Mrs. Higurashi’s stomach.

“How far along are you contractions?” Anna asked as she rested her ear against Mrs. Higurashi’s belly.


“I’m not sure,” Mrs. Higurashi admitted. “I think they’re getting closer together though.”


“I see. I need towels, clean ones, and hot water.”


“The hot water is coming,” Grandpa Higurashi assured her as Mr. Higurashi disappeared upstairs. ”But what do you know about delivering babies? Are you a nurse?”


“No, I’m not,” Anna replied as she returned her ear to Mrs. Higurashi’s stomach.


“I’ve been a practicing midwife for the past twelve years.”


0-0


“The joy on my face when she said that,” Mrs. Higurashi grinned and wiped a relieved hand across her brow. “I think I lit up the entire living room. I was in labor with you for twelve hours and she stayed with me, instructing me on my breathing and preparing everything for when you finally came into the world.”


“Wow,” Kagome breathed in astonishment. “Who would have thought that you guys when through so much? So Aunt Anna-“


“Yup, she’s that Anna,” Mrs. Higurashi nodded. “Your father was so thrilled when you were finally born and he got to cut your umbilical cord. We stayed there, all five of us, for four days straight. Then we drove to the hospital.


“But you know what I think about,” she began with a wistful sigh. “I think about what your father said at the hospital. We were talking about how amazing the whole thing had been, how lucky it was that Ojii-san bought so much food and how he found Anna in that snowbank, and I remember him saying something that, at the time, made no sense to me. He said that everything happened for a reason. That on that first week of May we experienced the divine. I just thought of it as more of his dad’s influence but now. . .now I’m not so sure.”


“I don’t think I’m following you,” Kagome realized. “I mean, what’s that got to do with me and Shippou?”


“It’s Shippou and I dear, and I believe it has everything to do with you. You met this child, befriended this child and now you are trusted with this child, whether you accept the responsibility or not.”


“So I don’t have a choice then?” Kagome replied despondently. “I have to?”


“No dear,” Mrs. Higurashi shook her head. “You don’t have to, but I want you to ask yourself something. When this child is near you, do you find yourself more concerned with his safety than yours?”

“Well, yeah but-“


“Are you willing to place yourself between him and anything that would try to hurt him?”


Kagome thought back, back to her first real encounter with Shippou’s mother, and how frightened she was when the youkai female revealed her true self.


“Would you go hungry just so he could eat? When he tells you that he loves you, does it bring tears to your eyes and a weird, over-stuffed feeling in your chest?”


“Yeah,” Kagome nodded with tears in her eyes. “Yeah, it does.”


“That is love, Kagome, and that’s the divine at work. You two met for a reason and you have to ask yourself something in order to make your choice. Your decision shouldn’t be on who to save, but who can receive the most they can from you, and what would make you happy in the end. Though you do a lot of good at the CPS, you spread yourself out, giving only pieces of yourself to the children that need you. This Shippou needs more than a piece and, even though he’s only one child, he may be the one child you help the most.”


“Yeah, but-“


“Listen Kagome,” Mrs. Higurashi began, her hand gripping Kagome’s tightly as she gazed solemnly into eyes that reminded the older woman of days gone by. “Don’t even think about taking in this child if you think you will regret it, because he will feel it every day for the rest of his life.”


“I wouldn’t regret taking in Shippou!”


“Then the decision to adopt him will have to be as much a selfish one as it is a selfless one,” Mrs. Higurashi replied. “You have to want him, to want to love him and care for him the same or better than any biological mother would.”


“I see.” Kagome and her mother fell silent, the picture between them as Kagome wrestled with her thoughts. Her face stilled suddenly, the serenity that swirled in her cobalt orbs reflected in her mother’s smile as she stood up and grasped the nearby phone.


“Excuse me okaa-san,” she said before she began to dial. “I’ve got a couple of calls to make.”


“Take your time dear,” Mrs. Higurashi said and began to pour the contents of her forgotten bowl into a nearby cake pan. “Let me know when you’re ready to help out.”



0-0


“She’s not coming Shujin. I told you this was a bad idea.”


Shujin frowned down at the conference phone, his silver eyes darkening to a gunmetal gray. His gaze spoke volumes while his youki settled to a gentle swirl around him. “Your comment is not appreciated, hanyou.”


“Yeah, well, I still told you so.”


Shujin grumbled irritably, his finely sculpted human nose widening and flattening to a bear’s wide flat nose. He was annoyed, beyond annoyed and the Western hanyou was safely away in Thailand on business. And the miko, the bane of his existence at this moment, had not answered his phone calls nor accepted his visits when he came to her office for the past couple of weeks.


“Look, try calling her again,” Inuyasha offered appeasing-ly. “I spoke with her this morning, so she should be at home.”


“I will not call her again,” Shujin refused much to Jininji and Ginta’s disappointment. “If she refuses to accept her duty then-“


“See, that’s what I keep telling you,” Inuyasha interrupted. “That Kagome won’t see it as a duty and you shouldn’t try to make her. You went barging into her office like you owned the place and laid down the proverbial law. I told you that stupid clause you added to the will would come back to haunt you someday. Kagome’s got a will of her own and to tell her that she has to stop doing something she loves will only put her off.”


“It matters not.” Shujin opened the massive iron doors, his gaze quickly scanning the hallway beyond before he finally noticed Shippou. “It is time, young one.”


Shippou entered the conference room quietly, his gaze lost and hopeless and his eyes trained to the deep burgundy carpet at his feet.


“Your chosen guardian has refused her duty,” Shujin informed the kitsune as he kneeled down on one of the pillows surrounding the low round table. “Therefore, this council has taken steps.”


“Wh-what kind of steps?” Shippou asked meekly.


Ginta sighed, his eyes lowered in shame before steeling himself and straightening his back. “There is a school in London that will take you. The Headmistress there already knows your situation. She-“


“Wait, you’re kicking me out of Japan?!” Shippou blurted out and jumped from his seat. “You can’t do that! I-this is my home! You can’t just-“


“Silence kit!” Shujin barked, his patience snapped beyond the limit. “You will do this and you will do it with honor, as your father would expect nothing less.”


“But I don’t want to go to London! You guys can’t make me go! Tell them Jininji!” Shippou demanded when the otter youkai sat beside him. “Tell him that he can’t make me go! I’m not go-“ Shippou stopped, elfin ears twitching as something the other youkai couldn’t hear caught his attention. They watched him then turned to the doors as they suddenly flung themselves open. The doors banged against the walls behind them and the gust they kicked up was perfumed with the scent of thunderstorms and vanilla orchids.


Kagome waited on the other side, dressed in the blue hakamas and white haori of her shrine. She smiled when Shippou called her name and stepped into the room.


“How dare you disturb this meeting!” Shujin snarled, his anger intensifying when she ignored him and picked Shippou up. “Onna, I’m talking to you!”


“I hear you, you grouchy teddy bear,” she mumbled and snuggled the young kit in her arms. “How are you Shippou? Are they being mean to you again?”


“Yeah,” he sniffed miserably. “They want me to go to London! I don’t want to go to London! I don’t know anyone there!”


“I don’t want you to go either,” Kagome replied. She turned to Shujin and the others, her smile unwavering as she gave them a respectful bow. “I’m sorry I’m late,” she said and placed Shippou back on the carpet. “The directions I got online were fuzzy. I got a little lost.”


“Why are you here, Kagome?” Jininji asked her. The smile she gave him was brilliant, her resolve strengthening as she told them,


“I’ve made my decision.”


“Have you thought about this, Sunset Maiden?” Shujin demanded, his eyes narrowed as he glared at Kagome. Kagome looked down and found Shippou staring up at her, his face scared and hopeful as his hand wrapped around her index and middle finger and squeezed.


“Yes,” Kagome nodded and met Shujin’s gaze. “I have.”


“And that is?”


‘I’ll lose my job,’ Kagome said to herself as she kneeled down to Shippou’s level. ‘And I don’t like the idea of living off of Shippou’s trust fund to support us. But. . .everything happens for a reason. Shippou came into my life for a reason. I. . .I don’t want to lose him.’


“We will not wait all evening Sunset Maiden.”

“My name is Higurashi Kagome.” Kagome gave Shippou a reassuring smile, then faced the youkai before them.


“And Shippou is coming home with me.”


(End Chapter)


SF: (hugs Shippou) I’m sorry about that little kit. I hate to put sad things in the stories.


Shippou: It’s ok SF-chan. I know you don’t like to do it.


Inu-chan: OK, this sad, sop-fest is over. Jeez, I think the tears are starting to soak my hakamas.


Silver: Shut the hell up would ya?


Inu-chan: (blink::blink) What’s wrong with the perv?


SF: (shrugs) I don’t know. I think he’s upset because I took out the lemon part of this chapter. He’ll be fine though.


Silver: Here I have all of this. . .perversion inside me, and it can’t go free.


Sango: (to Miroku) I’ve heard of blue balls, but blue imagination?


SF: (sets Shippou down and scoots him, Rin and LM toward a plate of peppermint sugar cookies) Ag will be fine. Trust me. He’s used to certain body parts turning blue-


Silver: : The hell you say. . .


SF: Besides, I’m sure another chance for a lemon will come up soon enough. Just not right now.


Kagome: (struggling with TV) The summary for the next chapter is below!


Chapter Summary: Shippou adjusts to life with Kagome and Inuyasha, whom he feels like he’s met someplace before. Kagome too is in for a surprise after a family member’s unguarded moment.


Next chapter-Chapter Thirty-Six: Halfling