InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets Beneath the Surface ❯ Finding Peace ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha…
 
Secrets Beneath the Surface
 
Finding Peace
 
 
Miroku's mind perked at the sound of Sesshoumaru's voice, surprised he suspected anything of Kagome's hasty…”escape,” so soon after it had occurred. He gulped and willed his breathing, which had suddenly hitched, to even out even as he shook his sleeping wife beside him into wakefulness.
“Sesshoumaru…” he said, his voice stressing the name to alert Sango, not surprised in the least when she jumped to optimum alertness at the mere name. She stared at Miroku, worry clear on her face, as she shifted closer to the receiver to hear what the man had to say.
Sesshoumaru growled at the silence, “Don't make me come over there and find out what you know, Miroku. It will not be pleasant. I will say this once more before I make promise to my threat. Where…is…Kagome.” He stressed each word, leaving no chance that Miroku could misconstrue the meaning of his words.
Before Miroku could respond, the phone was ripped from his hands. Surprised, he stared dumbfounded at his wife, a frightful snarl ripping its way from her lips. “She's gone, Sesshoumaru. She did it for you…and your whore of a wife. Leave her alone; haven't you done enough damage for the time being? Just add this act of kindness to the long list of the other things she's done to save your ass that you'll never be able to repay…and leave her alone. Let her and—let her live in peace.” She ignored her slip of the tongue, and counted herself lucky she had not completed that sentence as she first thought as she ended the call and slumped down in the bed with a sigh.
*********************************************
Kagome smiled as she placed the rest of the dishes into the awaiting dishwasher before adding the soap, closing the hatch, and turning it on. She stared at the TV, sightless eyes blurred as the cartoon played before her.
So much had happened in the last month since her move. She had officially moved into her new apartment, placing pictures on the walls and books and baubles on the surfaces for her perusal. She had been able to procure a job at the day care center down the street, finding the job, though drastically tiring, very rewarding as she reveled in the smiles and giggles of her charges. The mention of children made her stomach flutter with excitement. Soon, she would have a child of her own to coddle and adore; the daycare center had even agreed that when she returned, her child would find a place there as well.
She stretched her tired, aching feet and yawned, wincing at the slight twinge she felt to her body in protest.
She sighed as she laid her head to rest on the back of the sofa. She ached all over it seemed, and the feeling had only intensified the longer she was away from Sesshoumaru. She rubbed her belly tenderly as she fought the tears brought on by the mere thought of the man that had not sired one, but now two of her children. She clenched her jaw against the flow of tears though, cursing her hormonal imbalance due to the pregnancy, remembering her promise not to cry anymore. The temporary relief from the world wasn't worth the pain it caused in the aftermath.
With a tired sigh, she climbed to her feet and slowly, a slight wobble to her step, made her way to her room, too tired to care that she was still clad in the clothes she wore to work that day, or that it was only 6:30 in the afternoon. She just slipped her thinning form under the spread and succumbed to the intensity and blissful numbness of sleep.
She awoke what she believed to be hours later, her breath caught in her throat as she purged the evidence of any meals she had recently consumed. The pain was enough to make her curl in on herself.
Her body, curled into a fetal position shook as she fought the dry heaves that gripped her body. Tears leaked from her pain-filled eyes as she fought for consciousness, a battle she would not win. Her last thoughts as she slipped back into a lapse of oppressive darkness made her moan in utter defeat. `My baby…my baby…'
 
Author's Note: I know the chapter is short, but I'm kinda short on time, so it's all you'll be getting for now. I'm still working on “Until Death” and “Playing Games,” but for some reason this story is the one that is coming to me easiest. Please remember to review…it really does make the difference…TTYL…