InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets of the Past ❯ She Who is Mourned ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: The recognizable characters appearing in this story are © Rumiko Takahashi, all rights reserved. They are used without permission and for entertainment purposes only. No profit is being made by the author for writing this story. No infringement upon nor challenge to the rights of the copyright holders is intended; nor should any be inferred.

Secrets of the Past By Ssinurn Solen

1: She Who is Mourned

Inuyasha lay back and looked at the sky. Kagome was late. He didn't know what else to expect. She always was late when she went through the well to study for her tests. If she was much later, he would have to go after her again.
A sound began echoing through the breeze. Inuyasha sat up to see what could be making such a racket. Above the trees floated a three eyed cow. Totosai was coming towards Inuyasha.
"What do you want old man?" Inuyasha blurted out, "Tetsusaiga is fine."
"Oh, Inuyasha. I have something I need for you to deliver. I would do it myself, but your brother has been watching me much too closely."
"I am not your delivery boy."
"It is very important that this gets to its owner. You will understand when you reach her. Your journey must be kept a secret from your brother. He will do the owner of this great harm if he finds out."
"You will not go away until I agree, will you?"
"That I will not. Oh Kagome, you are here too."
"Hello Totosai," Kagome said as she crawled from the well, "I heard part of what you said. I will make Inuyasha keep his word."
"What! Kagome! I haven't agreed to anything yet!"
"You will. I know you. Besides, Totosai may not repair Tetsusaiga next time if you don't."
Inuyasha grumbled to himself.
"What do you want us to deliver?" Kagome asked.
"This," Totosai said as he pulled out a staff and handed it to Kagome.
"Bah! You want us to deliver a stupid stick? How can that be so important?"
"It is made from one of your father's teeth. I had it hidden and found it only yesterday. If Sesshomaru knew about it, he would try to steal it, just like he did with Tetsusaiga. And, he would find out a secret your father did not want him to know, for his own good."
"Inuyasha, calm down. Totosai, where do you want it to be delivered to?"
"It is on the path you must take to meet up with your friends, so I thought it would be no trouble. It is a small shrine outside of Tomi village. Give the staff to the hermit there, and you can go on your way. Deliver this staff, Saiminjutsu, to its proper owner."
"What did my father want with a lonely hermit?"
"She is no ordinary hermit. Your father cared for her very much. This was made to protect her. Now go. You are wasting time." Totosai said as he and his cow disappeared in a puff of smoke.
"Feh, why do I have to be that old man's delivery boy?"
"Oh Inuyasha, it is on our way. We don't have to go out of our way. I will keep it here with me. So, you are not the delivery boy, I will be the one delivering it."
"Feh," Inuyasha said once more, "Lets get going."


They traveled on a little used path towards Tomi Village. It winded its way deep inside a forest. It was dangerous because of the numerous lesser demons that resided there. The path was shorter, and Inuyasha wanted to get the 'stupid stick' to the hermit as quickly as possible.
Suddenly, a young, disheveled youkai jumped out of the bushes brandishing a wooden rake.
"What is your business here? Get away from here!"
"You smell like ragweed, and that stupid rake is no match for this," Inuyasha said as he brandished his claws.
The silver haired youth dropped the rake and flexed his claws as well.
"I have claws too. You have no business here. I will not let you get anywhere near her. Leave her and me alone!"
"What are you talking about you stupid pup? You are the one who attacked us."
"Nintaishiro!" A voice called from within what looked like a large tree," I am fine. Get your tail to the spring and clean up! That is no way to treat guests."
The youth sighed and said," Yes mother." as he ran back into the trees.
A piece of bark from an enormous tree slid to the side. In the doorway stood a female youkai. Her long, silver hair had gold highlights throughout it. Her eyes were a pale shade of purple. She wore a simple, cream colored kimono with a gold sash.
"I thought I knew that scent. It is good to see you again, Inuyasha itoko."
Inuyasha's eyes grew wide," Murasaki! I thought you were dead!"
"No, Inuyasha itoko. I was hidden here during the siege. You must forgive Nintashiro. I just came out of heat, and we have had several attacks of late. Come in. My hidden shrine has plenty of room, and it is getting dark."
"I would be happy to, Murasaki itoko. Oh, this is Kagome. Kagome, this is Hitomi Murasaki , my cousin."
"I am very pleased to meet you." Kagome said and bowed politely.
"Since when do you have a son? I did not know you had mated." Inuyasha said as he and Kagome made their way into the shrine.
"Blunt as ever I see. Yes, Inuyasha, I have a mate. Unfortunately, my mate and I are separated. Nintashiro has never seen his father. I have been at this shrine for so long, I am not even sure if my mate is alive. We mated the night before the siege. His mind was so troubled when we mated, I am not even sure if he realized who he was mated to. It does not matter to me. I am happy. I loved him from the time I was very little. At least I have Nintashiro. He looks so much like his father."
Inuyasha began to stare off into space as Murasaki continued her story. He was thinking about the night of the siege on his father's winter palace, the night when his mother was killed.
"How did you escape?" Inuyasha asked.
"Some of your father's servants smuggled me out. They knew of the importance of my escape. They tried to reach your mother as well, but they were too late. She had already been mortally wounded when they found her. Other servants searched for you, giving up their lives to make sure you got out alive as well."
"Oh, I nearly forgot," Kagome said, " Totosai sent us here to give you this."
Murasaki blushed slightly as she took the staff. As she studied the carvings on the side of it, she blushed even more.
"What is the matter, Murasaki?"
"I suppose neither of you realize what this is."
"It is a staff. Totosai called it Saiminjutsu."
"It is more than that, Inuyasha. This is a special kind of staff. It is a kekkon staff. It is given by the father of a groom to signify the acceptance of a bride into the family. If I challenge my mate with it, he will be forced to accept his child as an heir, even if he denies me as his only mate. This way, he may not kill me or my son without severely wounding his honor and position. I thought this had been lost in the siege."
Inuyasha's eyes grew wide. "That was made from one of my father's fangs. That would mean your mate is.."
"Seshomaru." Murasaki finished.
Inuyasha let out a low growl and furrowed his brow.
Nintashiro walked into the shrine, "Does this suffice, mother?"
"Yes, Nintashiro, you look and smell much better. Nintashiro, this is your uncle, Inuyasha, and his kanojo aisuru, Kagome."
"She is not my kanojo!" Inuyasha yelped out.
"Really? That is not the way I smell it."
"I have to agree with mother, uncle."
"Bakka! She is just a miko who is helping me to find the shards of the shikon no tama."
"A miko, hmm, I wondered why you smelled so familiar. I am a miko as well, a prized rarity among my kind. It is what makes me so valuable to any youkai who snoops around here."
"Oh, I see, so that is why Inuyasha's father kept you hidden from Seshomaru."
"No, actually, my mating to Seshomaru was arranged by his father and my grandmother, when the two of us were only pups. My grandmother and Inutaisho were brother and sister. Seshomaru had feelings for me, I am certain, but he resented the fact that our mating was arranged. He also began resenting it when he discovered I was a miko. He felt our arranged marriage was simply to strengthen Inutaisho's bloodline. He resented that his feelings were not taken into consideration. "
"His feelings! Seshomaru is cold and heartless. His only care is to bring death to anyone who stands in his way."
"Please do not speak ill of my father. I can not stand it when mother starts crying in her sleep. "
"Your brother does have feelings, Inuyasha, but they have been buried because of all of the pain and hardship he had to endure. First there was the death of his mother right in front of his eyes. Then seeing my family's estate ransacked and burnt to the ground. Then all of the scars of the battlefield. And on top of that, he resented Inutaisho for mating with your mother. He felt very left out, as if his mother was being completely replaced and forgotten. When you were born, he felt as if he was being replaced by you in his father's heart. It devastated him. I was his only friend and confidant. Yet, he felt he was trapped around me as well, because of our mating arrangement."
"Yet he mated with you anyway."
"Yes, but it is not as simple as that. He was asleep and having a nightmare. I snuck into his apartments to try and sooth him. I kissed him while he slept. He quickly rolled over, marked and mated with me. His eyes never opened. I believe he was still asleep when he did it. His nightmares were so intense at that time that he had trouble waking from them. When he settled down peacefully, I went back to my apartments. The siege happened early that morning. I never got a chance to tell him we had mated, or that I was with pup. When Nintashiro was born, your father's servants who still looked in on me from time to time, told me it was best not to see Seshomaru. They feared that because of his coldness, he would be angry and kill us both, before he realized what he was doing. "
"Feh, he would not care. He has been trying to kill me for years."
"Perhaps, but things have changed now that I have Saiminjutsu. It channels my miko powers, and will protect me and Nintashiro. Perhaps, if he sees me with it, his cold shell will fall away and he will be his old self again. You may not know this, Inuyasha, but your brother is really a kind and loving person. He is very much his father's son in that respect."
"Mother, forgive me for interrupting, but, what is for dinner?"
"Nintashiro, must you always think with your stomach?"
"I am a growing boy, mother."
"Feh, and I am tired of all this melodramatic talk of my brother."
"Very well. I have some dried fish, eggs, and flour. I can make a noodle soup. Then we should all get some sleep. I am sure we can talk about more pleasant subjects tomorrow."
"I will help you, Murasaki."
"Thank you, Kagome. It will give me a chance to talk to you. There are just some things that men will never understand."
"Feh," Inuyasha said and kept silent.


--
Cousin
aisuru- beloved girlfriend
review