InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Seimei no Kakera: Shards of Life ❯ Guilt ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Apart from merchandise with his logo, I do not own Inu-Yasha.

Author's Note: After finding myself hooked on them, I've decided to start my own little ficlet corner (600 words or less in each installment) for my baby ideas that I don't have time to nurse into full blown plot lines. ^_~ They will have no rhyme or reason or order- some may be AU, others not. I just felt like this would be fun to try. ^_^

Please enjoy!

-


"GUILT"

-

It had never ever occurred to her. . . not before she met HIM.

The girl nibbled her upper lip as she fiddled with her long, undone hair, watching the hanyou's own silver locks dance in the sakura kissed breeze up in the Goshinbuko. It had never occurred to her that demons could be. . . be. . .

How many like Inu-Yasha had she killed? How many good-hearted creatures had she heartlessly murdered? Creatures that- possibly- probably- had lives, too. . . Did they have mates, like Inu-Yasha? Did they have families, like Inu-Yasha? Friends, like Inu-Yasha? Feelings? The idea had long since crossed her mind, but she had tried to ignore it. After all, she had been raised to believe that all demons were the same- half bred or not. They were insidious, cruel, and evil- creatures meant only to be taken down with her Hiraikotsu. It was hard to forget the prejudice her father had fed her. And, while much of it had not been a stereotype, she had come to learn that there were just as many good youkai as there were evil. Perhaps even more. . .

And how many of them had crossed her path, only to find themselves killed in cold blood?

She sighed, the feeling of guilt eating away at her insides as the inu hanyou glanced down at the ground, his golden pools cold and calm. It was only an acting guise, and she knew it. "Oi, Sango!" he barked, making the girl jump and blink to attention. "Whadya want, woman?"

"Huh?- Oh. . ." The exterminator smiled guiltily up at him before pushing her hair back over her shoulder, clearing her throat. "Kagome wanted me to tell you that it's time for lunch- and that the twins are `restless for their papa' after taking their nap. So get your ass down here!"

"Oh. . . ?" Inu-Yasha chuckled and shook his head with a small grin before leaping out of the tree, joining Sango on the ground with a little mock salute that Kagome had taught him. "Yes ma'am," he smirked, dodging her fist as she made to whack him over the head. "Oi- you're too weak to hit m- - - ow!"

"Heh," Sango sniggered at the pouting puppy before pushing him off in the direction of the village. "Now, stop your whining and go before your wife gets mad at me."

"Fine, fine!" he muttered darkly, though his eyes twinkled with suppressed amusement. He began down the path, amber orbs towards the blue spring sky, before pausing and glancing back over his shoulder. "Sango? Aren't you coming?" he inquired, cocking an eyebrow as the exterminator watched him from the base of the tree. She paused, then shook her head with a smile.

"Nah," she shrugged, flopping down to the ground with a smile. "I already ate."

"Suit yourself," he shrugged before starting off down the path again, his pale haired head bobbing up and down until it disappeared from sight in the forest.


Sango blew out her cheeks as she watched him go, unable to push away her depressed musings. `Please forgive me, Kami. . . Inu-Yasha. . .'

- - -