InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow of the moon ❯ Shadow of the moon ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shadow of the moon
 
 
The sky was filled with dark clouds, carried by the ferocious wind that howled like a wolf's cry. It was dark, almost night, the sun hidden from the dark green grass that moved along with the wind. The trees were rustling, their leaves being torn away from the old branches. The wind carried their silent murmurs, stories that have been long forgotten and no one will ever hear. No movement was seen in the shaky hill. Only a dark figure stood at its top. A black stallion, big and fearful stood in the wind, its mane and tale shaking furiously, snorting slightly. Sitting on the saddle, another figure was still, observing the surroundings with expert dark brown eyes. She was wearing black clothes, riding boots with dark leather pants underneath, long leather jacket tied firmly with high neck, and the typical antique hat men used to wear. Her long hear was tied in a ponytail that shook furiously with the wind. She almost looked like a man. A set of bow and arrows were firmly tied to her back. She was probably the most powerful Miko and demon slayer in the country.
 
Her horse suddenly snorted, and the marble-skinned woman smirked inside the winter cap that covered her nose and mouth, only letting her cold eyes show. Then she heard the characteristic sound of the grass as something stepped on it, running faster than any human could. Soon enough, the running figure stopped in front of her horse. It had silvery long hair, furry dog ears on top of his head, and was wearing a red haori, which made contrast with the dark atmosphere. The Miko looked at him, showing no expression in her face, just boring into him with her cold brown eyes. The hanyou did the same, staring at her with molten gold eyes.
`'Why are you here?'' she asked with her cold voice, although she already knew the answer.
`'You know why'' he said, smirking. She chuckled.
`'You never give up, do you?''
`'No. Will you give me the Shikon no Tama?'' he asked, for the billionth time in their short lives.
`'No. I should have killed you a long time ago, Inuyasha. But I didn't. And now, I spend every day here, with my horse, watching for demons, and at the same time you come and ask me the same thing. What kind of life is this?'' she said, and sighed. She thought about the day she first had seen the hanyou. Same day as today was, same day it will ever be.
`'Then kill me. Why don't you do it? They pay you for that, after all. So why don't you kill me, Kikyo?'' he asked.
`'Because we are the same, and yet we are completely different. You carry human blood, you are different; I am a Miko, so I am also different. But we will never be the same, and will never be different at the same time'' she said, in her characteristic mysterious tone.
`'Will you ever let me see your face?'' he asked, knowing the previous subject would take them anywhere. He had always dreamed in seeing the face of the mysterious woman that haunted his dreams.
`'Not today, Inuyasha. Someday, maybe you will. But, then again, maybe not. The day you stop asking me to give you the Jewel to become a full youkai I will let you see my face. In the meantime, I will remain as I am'' she said.
`'Then I guess I will never see you'' he said, his tone sombre. `'I will become a youkai''
`'Why? Why take away your life and soul for more power?''
`'It's not just that. I don not want to be hated anymore'' he said, and lowered his head, his eyes hidden from her by his bangs.
`'You will be more hated when youkai. And as for being hated, I do not hate you. If I did, you would be already in the other world, with the rest of demons my arrows have killed'' she said.
`'Someday, I will be a youkai. You can't stop me forever, Kikyo'' he said.
`'Maybe. Until then, we'll be seeing each other'' she said. She pulled her horse's reins, and walked away from the silver haired hanyou, as she disappeared. He ran after her.
`'Wait, Kikyo'' he said, holding the horses reins.
`'What is it, my dear Inuyasha?'' she said in a sarcastic tone.
`'Can I be with you'' he asked with all of his bravery.
 
Since the day he had seen her, his human heart had desired the mysterious woman. He didn't want to be alone. Kikyo looked at him in shock, but her cold expression slowly returned to her face.
`'You know what you are asking me is impossible. I want to, but I cannot. I am forever bound with my loneliness. I am only a lonely wolf; you're only a scared dog. And that is the way it shall remain'' and with that, she disappeared in the wind with her horse, leaving a broken hearted hanyou with glimmering golden eyes that now screamed in sorrow as a single tear was pulled away by the wind, to watch the mysterious woman, dressed in her dark clothes and riding the black horse, her hair moving with the wind, to slip out of his grasp like smoke would. And it was true. She was forever a solitary wolf, e a scared dog, scared to be alone. And alone they would both be.
 
In the distance, the murmuring trees kept on with their stories, the story of the hanyou who loved the Miko, and older stories that were well buried in the past. The wind continued its travel, as leaves floated along with it, reflecting the pain of the solitary world, for every one is alone, and the trees knew that.
 
Everybody is alone.