InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She's Like The Wind / The Power of Love ❯ The Morning (and day) After ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: InuYasha still isn't mine…
 
The Power of Love
 
Chapter 2: The Morning (and Day) After
 
InuYasha felt like a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders. No, it was more than that. It was more like when he was fighting his father's old enemy, Ryuukotsusei in order to lighten Tetsusaiga. After InuYasha's sword had been broken by Goshinki and repaired by Totosai using one of his own fangs, it was unbearably heavy. Totosai sent InuYasha against Ryuukotsusei to defeat him so that he could surpass his father in strength in order to lighten the sword. However, in the middle of the battle as he overcame his demon blood to grasp Tetsusaiga which he had dropped, he was suddenly able to lift it with one hand. Not only that, it felt like it was an extension of his arm. THAT was the kind of weight that had again been lifted from him. It was the only thing InuYasha could think of that could even come close in comparison.
 
InuYasha could not believe it. He had finally admitted his feelings to Kagome (well, almost - he still couldn't say the “L” word, but she had gotten the message). What he found out was that she really did return his feelings, and was more than willing to stay with him. He had actually kissed her, and then held her the rest of the night. Kagome's mom had stuck her head in the door that morning to find the two still holding each other (fully clothed) and sound asleep. She smiled and closed the door to let them rest. She knew her daughter had been upset when she had come in, and was glad they had finally worked out their differences. It had been apparent to everyone that Kagome and InuYasha cared about each other - they were just too stubborn and frightened to see it themselves. She also thought it was time to talk with her daughter since the relationship that Kagome swore would never happen seemed to have taken a change of direction. She was happy for her, but not quite ready for grandchildren just yet.
 
InuYasha woke first to find Kagome still asleep in his arms. The sun was well into the sky and he was surprised that Mama Higurashi had not awakened them. InuYasha was grateful since they had been up talking, kissing, and holding each other until well into the early morning hours. However when they finally drifted off to sleep, it was with a peacefulness and completeness that neither had felt in a long time. InuYasha could not remember the last time he slept so well. For now, he was content to lie still holding Kagome, who was still asleep. He kissed her on her forehead and settled back in until she awakened.
 
Kagome woke up to find herself looking into golden eyes and a slight smile. She thought `this really wasn't a dream - it really happened' and with that reached forth and gently kissed InuYasha on his lips. He readily complied and kissed her back to be interrupted by a soft knock at the door. InuYasha nearly jumped out of his skin - what would Mama Higurashi say? The answer to his unspoken question came in the form of her head peering in the door, with a twinkle in her eye.
 
“Are you two awake? You missed breakfast and I wanted to make sure you were down in time for lunch. Kagome, Souta has gone to a friend's for the day and Grandpa is visiting his brother. It will be just us for today.”
 
As InuYasha breathed a sigh of relief, Kagome replied, “We'll be down in a few minutes, Mama.” Kagome looked at the still trembling InuYasha, gently rubbed his thigh to calm him and said, “I don't think she's mad at us - in fact I think she has been expecting something like this. Mama kept telling me she thought you cared for me more than just a friend, but I wasn't ready to believe her - I was afraid to have too much hope.”
 
InuYasha had not missed the twinkle in Mama's eye, but he was still worried. Having her blessing before he ventured any further meant everything to him. The only family InuYasha had was a half-brother that he was currently at something of a truce with while they battled Naraku, and he did not want to do anything to alienate Kagome from hers. InuYasha may have been little when his mother died, but he still remembered the pain she suffered after being rejected by her own family.
 
Kagome wanted to clean up before she went downstairs, so InuYasha left her so she could bathe and change. He quietly went downstairs to the kitchen to find Mama trying to move a bag of rice that was way too big for her.
 
InuYasha accessed the situation quickly as he moved toward her.
 
“Would you like me to move that for you?”
 
He was so quiet when he came in that Mama was startled, and nearly dropped it.
 
“Oh, InuYasha, I didn't hear you come in.”
 
InuYasha flattened his ears and looked down - he hadn't meant to sneak up on her. Mama took one look at him and how sad he looked.
 
“It's ok, I just forget how silent you can be and you startled me. Yes, will you please pour this into this container for me? I had forgotten how heavy these bags are. I usually have help to do this.”
 
InuYasha gladly took the rice from her and poured it into the large container with ease. He gave the empty bag back and sat in a chair at the kitchen table to wait for Kagome.
 
Mama saw this as a chance to talk to him before Kagome came down. “InuYasha, would you like some tea, or something else to drink?”
 
He looked up at her and replied, “Keh, tea.” As she turned to put the water on to boil he thought this was as good a time as any to find out Mama Higurashi's thoughts. It was not often that both Gramps and Souta were away. He blushed as he thought of what he might say. He thought he'd gotten past the hardest part last evening, but now he was not so sure.
 
As Mama put a cup of tea in front of him, she and InuYasha spoke at the same time:
 
“InuYasha”
“Mama Higurashi”
 
InuYasha blushed even deeper and closed his mouth, so Mama chuckled and continued.
 
“InuYasha, it has been obvious to me for some time that you truly care for my daughter. She only gives me bits and pieces of your adventures, but from her stories I would say that you have saved her and the others numerous times. It is clear that you protect her from danger and look out for her. I guess my question is, what are your plans for her now? I'd say from how I found you this morning that you have finally admitted your feelings for one another.”
 
By now, InuYasha's face matched his haori. He was very grateful that Kagome's mother was kind, gentle, and understanding. It was not hard to see where so many of Kagome's qualities came from. He stammered as he tried to reply.
 
“I…I…did finally tell her how I feel, and that I want her to stay with me. I don't think I could survive without her. But…but I need to ask your permission before I do anything more. I…I…I don't want her to be banished from her family like my mother was for falling in love with a demon.”
 
Mama Higurashi was stunned at this statement. She knew from what little Kagome had told her that he had lived virtually alone since he was little. She had no idea that he had human relatives that had thrown him and his mother out in the cold, all because his mother dared love his father and give birth to InuYasha. Over the two years that InuYasha had been in and out of her household, she had never known. She knew he was really quiet and shy under the brash exterior, but the reality of the harsh and lonely existence he must have lived sent a tear down her cheek.
 
“InuYasha, I only ask that you make my daughter happy. I've known how she felt about you for some time, but she said that you loved someone else.”
 
InuYasha looked up with hope in his eyes. Maybe Mama was willing to accept him as Kagome did.
 
“That's been taken care of. I told Kikyou I was not going to hell or anywhere else with her, and to stay away from us. I told her that even though Kagome may be her reincarnation, she is MUCH fucking better than the original.”
 
Oops, he had tried to watch his language around Kagome's mom. He hoped she would forgive his slip of the tongue and continued.
 
“As far as my plans, there are things I don't know, and need to find out about. I want to be with Kagome for the rest of my life, the rest of her life. Once I get the answers I need, if she agrees, I want to take her as my mate.”
 
That got Mama Higurashi's attention, as well as Kagome's who had just walked into the kitchen. In unison, they said “MATE?”
 
Kagome sat at the table next to InuYasha. His hands were nervously clasped in his lap. She reached her small hand over and gently rubbed them with her thumb, trying to ease his nervousness.
 
This was not exactly the way InuYasha wanted to do things. He wanted Mama's permission first before he asked Kagome. Oh well, things never worked out like he planned anyway. Maybe it was for the best. Mama wasn't mad at him and now he would only have to say it once. He was REALLY grateful that Souta, Grandpa, the perverted monk, and the nosy kitsune were not hanging around. He never would have been able to say any of this.
 
“Mate. I'm a hanyou, an Inu-hanyou, and my kind normally mates for life. Once the ceremony and union occur, it is only broken by death. Each partner remains faithful to the other, or can be killed by demon law. If another demon tries to take another's mate, it can rightfully be killed by demon law. It is not a commitment to be taken lightly. I think humans have a ceremony of sorts, but I don't know how it compares to a demon taking a mate.”
 
It was Kagome and Mama's turn again.
 
“Wedding?” “Marriage?”
 
Except that InuYasha wasn't really sure what they said since they spoke at the same time. All they got was “Keh!” in response.
 
It was Kagome's turn now to blush furiously, so Mama took the opportunity to speak up.
 
“InuYasha, humans have a wedding ceremony to get married. While they hope that it will last a lifetime, sometimes things do not work out and the couple splits up. A marriage is not necessarily a permanent thing. They may have rushed into it for the wrong reasons and later find out they were not really meant for each other. Sometimes they were just too young. Any number of things can happen so that they end up getting a divorce. It doesn't sound like divorce is an option when a demon takes a mate.”
 
InuYasha had listened carefully to every word she said. He also didn't miss the part about `too young' and wondered if she was talking about Kagome. He knew things moved slower in this time than the past. In his time Kagome would have already been married off to someone and probably had three kids by now. In her time she was still in school and having to take those stupid tests. As he pondered this, his ears flattened even tighter to his head. He looked crestfallen as he looked down at the table.
 
“I…I understand if you want me to leave.”
 
“NO!”
 
He was again answered in unison by Kagome and her mother.
 
This time Kagome continued, “Please don't leave, it's just a lot of information to digest. Are you serious about wanting to take me as your mate to remain with you for the rest of our lives? It's a big jump from having finally really kissed you for the first time since Kaguya tried to turn you into a demon.”
 
With that Kagome blushed again - she forgot Mama was sitting across the table.
 
InuYasha finally looked up. He realized that she was not rejecting him, but simply wasn't ready yet. As a matter of fact, neither was he.
 
“Keh…your mother asked what my plans were, and I wanted to be honest. I want her blessing for you to be with me before I do anything more. We still have the search for jewel shards and defeat Naraku. I'm not sure when we will be ready for this, but I wanted her to know. I had planned to tell you if she agreed. I also told her that I need to find my own answers before I could take you as my mate.”
 
It was Mama's turn again.
 
“You did say that. What did you mean?”
 
InuYasha's face was the color of his haori again. He had already said more since last evening than he usually said in an entire week.
 
“While I know that there is a ritual to be performed, I don't know what it is. My mother died while I was too little to need to know or understand it. Up until now, I never really tried to find out because I did not think it would ever happen.”
 
What he didn't tell them was that kissing Kagome last night was the most intimate he had ever been with anyone. InuYasha did not think that leaping into a tree to relieve his tension by his own hand when Kagome was in heat counted. He needed to find out a lot of things. While he had witnessed animals rutting or occasionally people who had snuck into the woods to fuck, somehow he thought there should be more to taking someone he loved as much as Kagome as his mate. He wanted to find out so he did not screw it up. That meant one thing. He had to swallow his pride and find either Myouga or Sesshomaru. Since Myouga was impossible to find unless he wanted to be found, he was probably going to have to seek out Sesshomaru.
 
InuYasha continued, “Unless I can find Myouga first, I must go and see my half-brother, Sesshomaru.”
 
Kagome gasped. She knew they had come to a truce, but that InuYasha still was not comfortable with Sesshomaru. It must really be important if he was willing to go to him. She pulled the hand nearest her into her lap and held it in both hands. She continued her circular rubbing of his hand with her thumbs as she spoke.
 
“InuYasha, when we are ready, you are the only one I want to be with. I can't imagine ever loving anyone as I do you. I will go with you to your brother in case there is something that I need to know as well.”
 
Kagome looked across at her mother as she continued, “Mama, I know you think I'm too young, but I won't do anything rash. I just want to know what to expect so that I can be prepared. I hope you understand.”
 
Mama gently smiled at the two of them. She knew they loved each other as much as she and Kagome's father had. Love like that did not happen very often, and needed to be nourished when it did. She also thought about the sadness and loneliness of InuYasha's life before Kikyou and then Kagome. She knew this was difficult for him to face them both with his insecurities.
 
“Kagome, I told you two years ago when I found you under the Sacred Tree that I trust you to do the right thing; and I still do. I would only ask that when you finally decide to do this, that you will also come here and have a wedding in this time as well.”
 
With that, Mama stood up, walked around the table and hugged InuYasha and Kagome. She picked up InuYasha's now cold cup of tea and asked if they were hungry. Of course InuYasha said “Ramen?” Mama and Kagome both laughed. InuYasha's response was, “Keh.”
 
The rest of the afternoon was peaceful. InuYasha and Kagome sat and watched TV for a while, with Kagome quietly in InuYasha's arms. She was surprised he was able to show even this amount of intimacy in front of her mother. InuYasha figured if Mama didn't neuter him for holding Kagome in bed, then being on the couch in broad daylight was okay. However, he was still only this brave because Mama was now doing laundry. He was not sure he'd manage if she was in the same room, and knew he couldn't if Souta and Gramps were there. Souta was almost as bad as Shippou, and Gramps would try to purify him with his worthless sutras. InuYasha was worried that if Grandpa ever had Kagome touch those things, they might accidentally end up with some real power in them and hurt him. Fortunately, Grandpa did not really seem to understand just how much spiritual power his granddaughter possessed.
 
Kagome saved him the embarrassment of being caught holding her by Mama or any others of the household. She had a test on Monday and announced that she really needed to go upstairs to study. For once, InuYasha did not give her any grief. At the moment he was content, and he had some things he needed to think about. InuYasha walked up the stairs to her room with her, but then jumped out the window to sit in the Goshinboku. Kagome walked downstairs to get the bottle of water she left behind when her mother called.
 
“Kagome, we need to talk.”
 
Kagome sat back down at the kitchen table. She might as well get it over with. She thought she knew what was coming.
 
Mama Higurashi sat down across from her and continued, “Kagome, I know you love him. I am not going to try and stop you from being together, but I want you to be careful. I want to set up an appointment for you to start birth control shots. That way if anything happens, you won't have to worry about getting pregnant before you finish school or complete the jewel and defeat Naraku. I think the shots will be more practical than pills or even the patch since you have to have them with you to take every day or change every week. The shots last for 3 months at a time.”
 
Kagome's face was now even redder than InuYasha's firerat robe.
 
“All right, Mama. We have not done anything more than kiss; but you're right. I don't know what may happen or when. I intend to go slow, but you know what they say about `best laid plans.'”
 
Mama Higurashi just laughed. Her little girl was indeed growing up. She sent her back upstairs to her books; it was now time to go out and finish her conversation with InuYasha.
 
She walked out to the Goshinboku, to the bench that was under it. This was where she had that talk with Kagome two years ago. This was where she'd known her only daughter had fallen in love with the hanyou even though Kagome did not admit to it.
 
“InuYasha, will you come down and sit with me for a few minutes?”
 
InuYasha leapt silently down from the tree and sat on the bench next to her. Mama Higurashi was always stunned by his grace. He had not made a sound and was beautiful to watch in motion.
 
Mama turned to look at him and spoke, “InuYasha, I know you are a young man with needs, and are probably much older than you appear.”
 
InuYasha looked at her and nodded, he was curious where she was going with this.
 
Mama continued, “I am pretty certain that Kagome has never been with a man before, and I want you to be careful with her. Please don't rush her into anything she might not be ready for.”
 
InuYasha's faced matched his robes again - now he did have an idea where this was going.
 
“I…I know that she hasn't.”
 
Mama raised an eyebrow at him, but did not comment, so he continued, “I can tell by her scent. I'm not sure I really explained everything about taking a mate. I guess you could rut and not be mates, but it is not something I have ever considered. I was usually busy running or fighting for my life. I only want to do the right thing by Kagome, and will wait until she's ready, until we're ready. I will not force her into anything, but when we finally are together, it will be for good.”
 
Mama's eyebrow went even higher if that was possible - she thought she understood what he was trying to say.
 
“InuYasha, how old are you?”
 
“In human years, around twenty. In demon years, two hundred, though I was sealed to the tree for fifty of those.”
 
“And in all that time, you mean… you've never…”
 
The color of InuYasha's face now rivaled that of Kagome's earlier. Mama Higurashi did not know it was possible to achieve that shade of red.
 
The hanyou just shook his magnificent mane of hair. “No.”
 
Mama now understood everything, as much as she could, anyway. She pulled InuYasha to her in a one-armed hug. “Don't worry, you will do the right thing when the time comes. You have my blessing to be with Kagome when you are ready.”
 
With that, she smiled and went back into the house. InuYasha jumped back into his perch in the tree to think.
 
He was happy beyond words. Kagome had told him she loved him, and her mother had given him her blessing. Now it was time for the next step. When they got back to the past, unless there was a crisis to attend to, he really needed to find either Myouga or Sesshomaru. Things were so uncertain in his era that InuYasha did not want to take anything for granted.
 
InuYasha hopped down and headed back into the house. Everyone was back in time for dinner. Grandpa was glaring and throwing sutras at him again, and Souta was tugging at his sleeve wanting to show him his new video game. InuYasha sighed and decided he needed to get through this evening first. Maybe facing Sesshomaru and asking him about mating wouldn't be so bad…