InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ And Now, For My Next Trick... ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 26: And Now, For My Next Trick...


The scene in the mirror faded, leaving only the reflection of the flickering fire dancing across its surface.

"I've delayed them to give you time to prepare. I'm certain you can organize a suitable attack before they arrive."

A malicious grin spread beneath deep red eyes. "Yes, sir. We'll ambush them before they reach the gate. They won't stand a chance."

"Good. I trust you will not fail."

The red eyes narrowed. "I never fail."

"I see." A short cough, as if to cover a laugh. "Then I will leave you to your planning. I have other business to take care of."

"Of course. Leave this to me."

With a swish of white, the first speaker disappeared.

"I'm going to enjoy destroying your last hope, cousin of mine."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>>>

"Inuyasha seems to be in a much better mood this morning, don't you think, Kagome?"

"Mmmhmm," Kagome hummed absently in response to Sango's question.
.
The demon exterminator watched the other girl out of the corner of her eye. Every once in a while, as they walked, a small, secretive smile would cross Kagome's lips.

"You don't seem to be too mad at him anymore, either."

"She never stays mad at him very long," Shippo murmured from her shoulder. The kitsune crossed his arms over his chest and pouted. "She didn't even 'sit' him!"

"I heard that!" Inuyasha called back over his shoulder, from where he walked at the front with Maruku.

The young fox demon stuck his tongue out at the hanyou's back.

"Shippo, I don't think Kagome's subduing Inuyasha is just a trick for your entertainment. It's only really a punishment for when he misbehaves, or to help us keep him and ourselves safe when necessary, right Kagome?" Sango looked to the other girl once more.

Kagome just hummed and nodded.

"See, Shippo?"

"That's not fair. She isn't even paying attention to what we're saying!" the kitsune protested, hopping up over Sango's head to her other shoulder. "Watch. Kagome, what color's the sky?"

"Hmm," the girl responded, nodding as she had earlier.

"See, I told you!" Shippo grinned in satisfaction, before his eyes narrowed. Maybe he could use this to his advantage. "Hey, Kagome--"

"Shippo, I don't like that look," Sango murmured, wondering what the kitsune could be up to.

He continued on as if he hadn't heard her. "...Can I have a lollipop?"

"Mmmhmm."

"Can I get it myself?"

"Mmmhmm."

"Shippo," Sango started to scold, shaking her head at his antics.

He just grinned, leaning over Kagome's shoulder to dig in her yellow backpack for the desired treat. He found one fairly quickly, after watching the girl each time she found one for him. He took off the wrapper and popped the sucker into his mouth, smiling at the sweet taste.

Kagome still hadn't noticed.

"Wa' on'?" the kitsune asked Sango, the sucker stuck on one cheek.

"Um... no thanks, Shippo."

"'Kay."

Shippo was then quiet for a few moments as he enjoyed the candy. Sango watched his eyes light mischievously when she stole another glance at Kagome.

"Shippo, what are you up to now?"

An even larger grin than the one he'd sported before split his face. "Hey, Kagome. Doesn't Inuyasha deserve to be 'sat' for the way he acted yesterday?" he said quietly, eyes darting to Inuyasha to see if the hanyou heard him.

"Mmmhmm," she responded, predictably.

"Well, why don't you--" He was cut off by a hand clamping over his mouth.

"Shippo!" Sango cried, unaware that the three in front of them had stopped the glance back.

Kagome also snapped out of her dazed state and frowned slightly in confusion.

"Is there something wrong, Sango?" Miroku asked.

Sango flushed and removed her hand from the kitsune's face, waving at the others with a sheepish smile. "Nothing, nothing," she murmured.

"Keh," Inuyasha muttered before turning around and continuing on.

Maruku and Miroku waited a second before following suit.

"Why did we stop?" Kagome asked, once she and Sango started walking again. She vaguely recognized the weight on her shoulder must be Shippo.

"No reason," Sango responded, a little too quickly.

Shippo snickered to himself, knowing he'd at least get away with keeping the candy.

"Shippo?"

Then again, maybe he wouldn't...

"What's that noise?"

"Um... nothin'?"

She heard the slightly muffled tone to his voice. "Did you get in my backpack without asking again?"

"Uh... I think I'm going to go sit on Miroku's shoulder now."

Kagome sighed as he scampered off of her.

"He did ask, Kagome," Sango murmured beside her, biting her lip to keep from laughing.

"He did?"

"Yes. You didn't hear him?"

Kagome thought about it, then responded honestly. "No, I didn't."

"You must've been lost in thought, then."

"Well, yeah, I guess you could say that," Kagome replied sheepishly.

"Were you thinking about anything in particular?"

Kagome turned her face away, hoping to hide the blush she could feel creeping over her cheeks. "No." Her voice came out a little too high, but she hoped Sango wouldn't notice.

"Really? You were out of it for quite a while."

"Ah, it was nothing, really!" Kagome turned back and smiled, hoping to forestall any more questions.

"Did it have anything to do with why Inuyasha's been in a better mood?"

"You noticed that?" She shook her head at herself before protesting, "I mean, no, no! Not at all!"

"You were that absorbed in 'nothing'? You were smiling about something."

"Hmm. Yeah..." The smile Sango was referring to crossed Kagome's lips again.

"Nevermind. You can tell me later," the demon exterminator told the other girl in an almost conspiratorial whisper.

"Mmmhmm...."

Shaking her head, Sango allowed silence to stretch between them once again. This really wasn't the time for any of them to be daydreaming. They were very close to Ataru's stronghold, and needed to stay on alert for anything.

She glanced around, focusing her senses on their surroundings.

It was then that she noticed the quiet.

The others weren't talking, but that wasn't all-- the silence carried a more ominous feel.

The breeze rustled the trees faintly, but no birds called to each other. Nor any insects.

Something wasn't right.

Quickening her pace gradually, so that Kagome would follow her and not trip, the demon exterminator caught up with Miroku where he'd been walking ahead of the two girls.

"You feel it, then?" he murmured, without giving her a chance to speak.

"Yes. It's too quiet."

"Something is there. Waiting." The monk covertly glanced around, trying to catch sight of whatever it was that lay in hiding. "It has been for some time."

Sango bit her lip, mentally berating herself for not paying more attention. "It's not attacking us for some reason."

"It must be holding out for just the right moment--"

Just as Miroku was finishing the sentence, a great rush suddenly filled the air.

Sango glanced upwards and then immediately dove for the ground, dragging Kagome with her.

"What's going on?" the other girl asked, wincing as her knee connected painfully with the hard dirt.

"We're being attacked!" the demon exterminator cried, pushing herself to her feet and unslinging Hiraikotsu. She held the large boomerang up as a shield as one of several dark-winged demons charged her. She swung the weapon at the offender, but missed as it swept away.

Miroku swung his staff at one of the other youkai, grinning slightly as it connected, then quickly bracing himself as he saw another coming toward him. Shippo latched onto the monk's neck, hoping the demons wouldn't think he was some kind of snack.

Inuyasha's eyes narrowed as he slashed at the two windwalkers swinging large tree branches directly at him. He managed to snag one of the branches in his claws, and ripped it away from his attacker. The demon flew higher, while the other snuck behind him, knocking the hanyou forward with the force of its swing.

Maruku made a grab for the same demon's ankle. He heard a whooshing sound behind him, however, and turned just in time to avoid a blow to the back of his head, dropping to the ground and rolling over. He caught the piece of dead wood aimed at his stomach, tossing the attacker overhead before leaping to his feet.

Inuyasha growled as he shoved himself to his feet, jumping high to grab one of the winged demons and pull it down to the ground. "How about you try a fair fight?" he snarled, slamming the youkai into the dirt.

Kagome struggled to her feet, shrieking and throwing herself down once more as she heard something fly past her head. 'Maybe I should just stay down there,' she thought, pushing herself up onto her hands and knees.

"Go stay with Kagome!" Miroku told the frightened kitsune on his shoulder.

"O-okay!" Shippo cried, climbing down the monk's robes and darting past him. He made a beeline for Sango, seeing that Kagome was just beyond the demon exterminator. One of the attacking youkai swooped after him. "Aah!" Shippo cried, huddling on the ground and covering his head with his hands.

The back of his shirt was snatched in a clawed hand, and he was carried up into the air.

"Drop him!" Maruku yelled, leaping after the youkai holding the flailing kitsune.

"Certainly!" the demon grinned wickedly, letting Shippo drop from its claws.

"Aaah!" the kitsune cried, quickly using his magic to change into his pink balloon form, so he could float to the ground.

One of the other swooping youkai caught him, however, and tossed him off as if he was the ball he'd seen the younger windwalkers playing with in the village.

"Hey!" After somersaulting through the air, Shippo was again caught and thrown. The motion was making him dizzy. He closed his eyes, hoping they'd just let him go soon, but that only seemed to make the feeling in his stomach worse.

After several more tosses, he was dropped, almost gently, on the ground.

Sango spun around, her eyes registering Shippo behind her, just before she was thrown several feet forward.

Shippo rubbed his head as he sat up, hoping the roiling of his insides was going to calm down before he was sick. He opened one eye, hoping nothing else was coming for him.

What he saw looked rather strange. Several demons were circling above them, with just a few attacking. Why wouldn't they all come down at once?

Quickly crawling towards Sango, the kitsune instructed her to look as well.

"What are they doing?" the demon exterminator asked, puzzled as she rose to her feet. As she watched, a few of the airborne youkai flew off, detaching themselves one by one, as if by some signal they were called away.

"They're leaving!" she cried, running towards the others to help ward off the few still diving at them.

Maruku looked up as the demon he'd been wrestling with took a swipe at him, then suddenly retreated.

The two swooping at Miroku headed for Inuyasha and dove, knocking him away from the youkai he'd been fighting. The demon then had enough free space to launch into the air.

The other two followed quickly, swinging their tree branches at Maruku as they flew past him.

The windwalker ducked, then stared after their retreating figures.

"What was that?" Miroku asked, rubbing his shoulder as he watched the demons until they flew out of sight.

"I am not certain," Maruku replied, settling in a crouch on the ground as he scanned the area.

"They ran away! Come back here, you wimpy birds!" Inuyasha yelled, ready to run after them.

"No, wait, Inuyasha," Sango murmured, placing a restraining hand on the hanyou's arm.

Maruku stood, dark eyes narrowed as he folded his wings against his back. "None of them was Ataru. They most likely were sent by him to ambush us, in the hopes that he, himself, would not have to face us."

Miroku nodded. "So we must still be on our guard, then. He may send another group once that one returns."

Sango rested Hiraikotsu on the ground, not yet ready to sling it on her back in case it would be needed once more. "They weren't all attacking, though. Some of them were flying around above. And they never truly tried to hurt us." She paused, considering the situation with a small frown. "Could it have been a distraction?"

Miroku cocked his head to the side. "Possibly, but for what purpose?"

The others were silent for a moment, before the quiet was broken by a rather loud growl.

"Where the _hell_ is Kagome?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ;>>>>>>>

"Not one word, human," a rough voice growled in Kagome's ear as clawed hands snatched her back into the trees to the side of the path. One hand covered her mouth, and she tried to bite it, but was only jerked around and shoved face-first into the ground. She struggled, but her hands and feet were quickly bound with what felt like rope before her captor sped off to some unknown destination.