InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ One Day Down... ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 2: One Day Down...


"How did this happen?" Kaede asked, gently holding one of Kagome's eyes open. She tilted the girl's head slightly to let the firelight glare off the film covering her eye.

"The stupid wench didn't listen when I said--"

"Inuyasha, you're not helping," Sango interrupted, glaring at the hanyou.

"Keh," he snorted.

"The serpent demon we were fighting yesterday spat some sort of gas at us. We," Sango continued, indicating herself and Miroku, "were not in its direct path, but Inuyasha and Kagome were."

"I told her to stay behind me," Inuyasha growled, sulking against the wall.

"I did stay behind him," Kagome put in before he could say more. "I ducked and closed my eyes when the gas came our way, but I had to look again to find the Shikon shard. I thought I had waited long enough for the wind to blow away the gas, but I guess I didn't."

"How long have you been unable to see?" the old priestess asked.

"Only since I woke up this morning."

"Did you notice anything yesterday?"

"My eyes did burn a little when I looked up for the shard. They were a little blurry too. But I was able to blink it away every time they got worse."

Kaede tilted Kagome's head to inspect the other eye, nodding to herself. "And now that does not help?"

"No. No matter what I try, I... can't see anything. Except for slight brightness when my eyes are open, and dark when they're closed."

Everyone was silent as Kaede stood and started looking through her herbs.

Shippo crawled into Kagome's lap and she absently patted his head. "Is Kagome going to be okay?" the young kitsune asked worriedly.

"I'm going to be fine, Shippo." The girl tilted her head down and smiled as reassuringly as she could.

Kaede finally found the jar she was looking for and grabbed a bowl which she filled with water. She put a pinch from the jar in the water, and then set it down beside her. "We have to try to dissolve the poison in your eyes, Kagome. Unfortunately, I can not promise this remedy will work."

Kagome nodded. "I understand. Do you think... this could be permanent?" she asked quietly.

"I do not know. We can only hope for the best," the old priestess replied gravely. "There is a chance that too much damage has been done already."

"Many serpent-youkai like the one we fought use gas or poison of some sort to blind or paralyze their enemies," Sango informed them. "Just like snakes. It's usually only temporary-- long enough for the serpent to run or kill," she added, trying to lighten the atmosphere by sounding optimistic.

Kaede nodded, dipping a strip of cloth in the bowl she'd prepared earlier. "This needs to set for awhile to sink into the poison, Kagome. I suggest you get ready for the night before we try it."

The girl nodded, then made to stand. The hand she'd placed on the floor was covered by a warm... clawed one.

"Stay, Kagome. I'll get your bedroll."

Kagome blinked, the surprise showing on her face.

"Keh. I need you better so you can find more shards," Inuyasha muttered.

She could still hear the slight note of worry in his tone and hid a small smile by ducking her head. She knew his excuses were becoming more and more just for show, though he'd deny it if confronted.

There was a quiet shuffling behind her, and the sound of the zipper scraping on the wood floor of the hut. She could tell the others were getting ready to rest for the night well.

"There," Inuyasha grumbled, indicating the sleeping bag was laid out behind her.

"Thank you, Inuyasha," Kagome responded, deliberately bright as she sent him a smile over her shoulder.

He just snorted his usual response and settled back against the wall by the doorway.

Shippo moved out of Kagome's lap so she could shift onto the sleeping bag and lay down.

"You need to keep your eyes closed, Kagome. The fumes from the herbs might burn a bit, so it is best if you not remove the cloth, to keep them from bothering you too much," Kaede informed her.

The girl nodded and closed her eyes obediently. The wet cloth was placed over her eyes, making things seem darker than they had.

A few drops from the cloth managed to seep under her eyelids. As Kaede had said, they did burn a bit.

"No, do not touch it," the old priestess scolded, stopping her instinctive reaching to rub her eyes and stop the smarting. "The tears will help flush away the poison and the medicine. The burning will fade."

Kagome folded her hands tightly over her stomach. The burning was already fading to a slight itch. Shippo crawled onto her stomach and rested his own hand on hers. She smiled slightly in response and forced herself to relax.

"Leave the cloth there until the morning. That will give it the longest time possible to work."

"Okay."

Kaede shuffled towards her own blankets and lay down.

"Good night, Kagome," Shippo murmured after settling himself down, using her hands as a pillow.

"'Night, Shippo. Sweet dreams," she replied. Hopefully, she'd get some sleep, though she doubted it.

Inuyasha waited until everyone else appeared to be asleep before leaving the hut in favor of his favorite tree.