InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Windwalker ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 5: Windwalker


"Stick... rock... 'nother stick....

"Shippo?"

"Tree root... rock...."

"Shippo, what are you doing?"

The kitsune didn't seem to hear Miroku's question as he continued to watch the ground, eyes darting back and forth across the path.

"Stick... rock... bigger rock... Inuyasha's foot... Oof!"

"Oi, brat, what the hell are you doing?"

"I'm helping Kagome," Shippo replied, picking himself up and putting his hands on his hips. "I'm telling her what's in the way so she doesn't trip."

"Um, Shippo, I think, when I asked you to do that earlier, that I meant to warn me about the big stuff in the way." Kagome bit her lip, trying not to laugh and hurt the little kitsune's feelings. "Thank you for telling me about those things, though."

"Oh. Okay. Well... what's big enough to let you know about, Kagome?"

Inuyasha just shook his head as he turned around to continue walking.

"I don't know... The bigger rocks and tree stumps and big branches, not just the little twigs."

Shippo looked around, not finding any of said "big" things close enough for him to worry about, shrugged, and then scurried on after the others that had moved on without him.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Kagome, are you all right?" Sango hurried to the girl's side after she'd fallen for the umpteenth time.

"I'm fine. I just need to sit here a minute. I twisted my ankle a bit on whatever I tripped over."

"Here, let me look at it," the demon exterminator insisted, moving Kagome's hands out of the way. "It might be bruised, but I think it'll be fine to walk on it."

Shippo suddenly looked up into the trees nervously. "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Kagome asked.

"Something's up there..." the kitsune replied, shrinking against her side and clinging to her shirt.

Inuyasha was already eyeing the trees around them, searching for the origins of the unfamiliar scent that wafted down to him from the treetops above. "Wait..." the hanyou muttered before suddenly leaping into a tree behind the group.

The others heard rustling, and a few grunts from Inuyasha, before something fell to the path a ways in front of them. The figure was back up in a snap, crouching, full pale gray-feathered wings spread out behind it.

Inuyasha had jumped back down to stand between his companions and the demon, Tetsusaiga drawn and held in front of him menacingly.

The creature appeared to resemble a humanoid male, with long blonde hair tied just behind the neck and pale blue eyes. He wore a light blue sleeveless robe that fell to the knees and belted at the waist. Aside from his slightly pointed youkai ears and the wings flaring from his back, he could almost pass for a human in the villages.

Sango eyed the creature warily as she quickly stood and removed Hiraikotsu from its place at her back. Her eyes widened and she gasped as she realized just what the creature was.

"What, Sango? What's going on?" Kagome asked, frowning in confusion. She knew something was amiss, and was growing more frustrated at the fact that she couldn't see what was going on.

"A windwalker," Sango muttered in a slightly reverent tone.

"A what?"

"A windwalker. I've never seen one, though I've heard a lot about them. They're bird youkai, but they look like humans with wings."

The youkai smiled at Sango, then slowly rose to his feet. "So you know of us. My lady will be pleased." He spoke to her, though he kept his gaze on Inuyasha.

Inuyasha bared his teeth. "What is it you want, youkai?"

"I am merely a messenger, following my lady's orders."

"He has no shards," Kagome told the others, sensing no trace of the Shikon jewel in the vicinity.

"Again, what the hell do you want, youkai?" Inuyasha asked, taking a step forward and readying Tetsusaiga to swing at the winged demon.

The windwalker held up his hands. "I am to deliver a message to you from my lady only. I have no wish to fight."

"Get on with it then," the hanyou growled in response.

"It is true that I have no Shikon shards. Nor do I wish yours for myself. But my lady has knowledge of the whereabouts of more of them, and will gladly give you the information. In return for a favor, of course."

Inuyasha took another step forward.

"What sort of favor?" Miroku asked, stepping up beside the hanyou and laying a hand on his arm.

"She will tell you when the time comes."

"When the time comes? And when might that be?" Inuyasha gritted out, eyes narrowing.

"She will make herself known to you. You will see."

"We will see? Why you--"

"Inuyasha, stop," Kagome called before he could attack. For some reason, she felt the need to trust this youkai, though she could not figure out why. "He said we have to wait. Until then, we can't do anything about it."

"My thanks, lady." The winged demon bowed to Kagome, then took a step backwards. "My lady will find you soon." With that, he turned and leapt off into the trees, leaving the others staring as a single feather fell to the ground in his wake.

"He got away! Why the hell didn't you let me--"

"You need to learn some social skills, Inuyasha," Kagome interrupted angrily. "He wasn't attacking, was he? So there was no need to start a fight."

"She's right, Inuyasha. Patience is one thing you could do with a bit more of," Miroku smirked at the hanyou.

"Watch it, monk," Inuyasha growled back, sheathing the now untransformed Tetsusaiga.

"Most of the other youkai we meet are intent only on gaining the shards. If one is willing to talk peacefully--"

"You didn't know that. He could've had others--"

"If one is willing to talk _peacefully_," Miroku spoke louder, so as to cut the hanyou off in return, "why not give him the chance to do so?"

Inuyasha glared at Miroku, knowing he was right, but not about to give in and admit it.

"It's going to be dark soon. We should probably find somewhere to make camp for the night," Sango said, trying to stop the argument before it got any further.

"Yeah. I'm sleepy," Shippo yawned from his place at Kagome's side.

The girl reached down and patted him on the head. "Stopping for the night sounds like a good idea."

"Keh. Weak humans," Inuyasha muttered half-heartedly. "Always needing sleep."

"Hey, what am I?" Shippo asked indignantly, glaring at the hanyou.

Kagome again wasn't going to put up with an argument. "Don't start, you two. Let's just find a nice spot where we can make a fire and rest. The sooner we go down for the night, the sooner we can get started in the morning."

Sango helped the other girl to her feet and started walking in the direction they'd been heading earlier.

Shippo hopped onto Kagome's shoulder as she carefully moved alongside the demon exterminator. He turned around to stick his tongue out at Inuyasha, but was grabbed by the back of his shirt before he could do so.

"Nice try, brat," the hanyou smirked, holding the kitsune at eye level.

"Leave him alone, Inuyasha."

It was Shippo's turn to smirk. He wriggled free, only to nearly be caught again, this time by the tail. "Eeep!" he cried, scrambling ahead of the others in his efforts to get away.

"Let us know when you find a good place to rest," Miroku called as Inuyasha raced after the kitsune.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"'Tis done, my lady. They await your arrival."

"Well done. I expect you back at your post within the hour."

"Will you have any further messages for me to deliver?"

"I will tell you tomorrow. I have no news yet from the hunters. Send them on to me if they return."

"Yes, my lady."