InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ nature of the beast ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Nature of the Beast


Running out, times running out
Searching for the one who can conquer me
I'm gonna scream aloud, throw it down
Crash in the sweet obsession of you
I'm going to swim and drown in the wake of you

~Skillet: The thirst is taking over





He wasn't sure how to explain it to her. It was the nature of the beast. It was true that they weren't actual foxes but there were still some similarities. In truth demons as a whole had more in common with eachother than with their mortal counter parts, no matter how much they didn't want to admit it. "I fear that you are still to much in the mind of your beast." She cocked her head. "Beast?" He nodded. "It is a term all demons, no matter the species, use when the baser instinct takes control. There is no concious effort on the part of the demon really. There are a few similarities between a demon fox and a fox." Kagome nodded and he continued.

"Example, when I comforted you, it was a sign of intimate affection, one usually reserved between mates. That spurred your instincts to take action and you wanted to return that affection. I'm curious as to why your reaction to that was so quick and intense though, it is very unusual. Have you been in fox form for a long period of time?" Kagome nodded. "Over a year." He looked at her. "That would explain it."

"Will Ryoko have the problem I'm having now?" Sai shook his head. "Youkai pups are born and raised in animal form until their third summer. This is to let them have a better control over instincts. The exact opposite is true of adults, we get in the habit of letting our instincts take over. A habit takes months to form so it is not often that the adults have this problem. We change back periodically and move about in human form again for a time. Anyway, if we don't change back for a little while then it make it hard to ignore the nature of the beast. You will have to learn control again. It will take some time, but I'll be with you every step of the way."

"What's the easiest way?" He looked at her. "To do nothing that would rile you, though that can take longer." He said. "The fastest way?" She asked. "To challenge you with the hardest to contol aspects and you fight them down." He ran a hand through his thick red hair. "What aspects?" Kagome asked. "The need to protect a pup, protect a mate, and mating." He heard her squeak. "Mating?" He nodded. "It is no so much the act Kagome, but things leading up to it. Body language is important in showing the acceptance of one's chosen." Kagome twiddled her thumbs still uncomfortable. "So judging by the way you jumped me, I suppose that means I'm you chosen." He whispered, hot breath fanning her ear.

Kagome shivered, a bright red blush spreading across her face. "What do you mean by fight the insticts, completely ignore them?" He shook his head. "No that could be very bad. I mean go into the situation rationally, think about what you're doing instead of just charging in only knowing about what you have to acomplish. That type of thing." Kagome nodded in understanding. "Well, let's get to work." She said, the blush finally fading from her cheeks. "Of course, but how about at another time, when we return to get the other young kit and return to the gingitsune village." Kagome nodded.




They had arrived at Keade's village in the very early morning. It was at the point where there are no animals moving just yet, and an eerie silence seems to fall over the land. Kagome led them into the hut. The sight inside froze her in the doorway. Miroku lay on the floor, a sheen of sweat covering his face. Sango lay against the wall, trails of dried tears down her cheeks. Shippou was sprawled on the floor, face twisted in anguish, as he tried to escape the nightmare he was in. She kneeled down and ran a hand through his red hair. The kit instantly stilled and curled into a ball.

Ryoko sat next to Kagome and sniffed at the little kit. "I guess this is your big brother." Kagome smiled at Ryoko. Shippou had indeed gotten bigger, at least a couple of inches. Kagome picked him up gently. "He's so light." A firm hand landed on her shoulder. "He hasn't been eating, that's not good." He shook his head. "Let's stay here for a little while, we could use some rest and I want to know what's been happening." Sai nodded. "It is fine with me. Where is the hanyo?" He looked around the small hut for the red clad half demon. Kagome shrugged.

They sat in the corner of the hut waiting for Sango or Keade to wake. Ryoko curled next to Kagome, tail covering her face from view. Kagome had Shippou in her lap, and she was leaning against Sai. Sai had an arm wrapped around her shoulder and looked down on his family. He could only smile. 'What did I do to deserve you?' He held her tighter and drifted off into a light sleep.

Sango woke to see a family of fox demons across the hut. "Kagome?" She called quietly, not believing that her friend was really there. Blue eyes snapped open. "Sango, how are you?" Kagome slipped from Sai's grasp to sit by Sango. "Sango?" She asked again. Sango's arms flung around Kagome. She sobbed into her shoulder. "I thought...you were dead...kirara's dead...miroku's dying. Kagome...I...I just don't know what to do!" She held on tightly to Kagome. Kagome's arms wrapped around Sango and began to make those useless circle motions that friends do when there's nothing else.

Keade came into the room. "Kagome child, how have ye mangaed to escape from Naraku?" The old woman looked at the fox demon. "I just escaped by digging. That was so long ago..." She answered wistfully. "A long time ago? How long ago, child?" Kagome put a finger to her lips in thought. "More than a year. I think." She nodded. "And why did you not return to us?" The old woman's voice held a slight reprimand. "I was taking care of Ryoko." Kagome gestured to the other silver fox. Sango gasped lightly. "Kagome, is she yours?" Sango asked in a quiet whisper. "Of course."

Sai burst out laughing at Sango surprised expression. "Not in the way you think, onna. She did not give birth to the young one." A bark a laughter escaped from him again. A small woof came from the fox they were talking about. Kagome kneeled. The silver fox wooffed again. Kagome nodded. "Stay close." She stood and noticed Sango's questioning look. "She wanted to hunt." Kagome answered. Sango nodded. "Now what happened to-" She cut her sentence short and whipped her head toward the door.

Sai slowly reached out to take her arm, but missed when she bounded out of the hut. He swore under his breath and followed in a blur. Kagome was transformed before her feet hit the ground a second time. Sai hissed in frustration and took off after as fast as his feet could carry him. He launched himself onto Kaogme's back. "Kagome, control yourself!" He slipped his arm around her throat. She got her feet under her and started forward again. He pushed her back down. "Kagome, you have to get a hold on yourself, now!" Her legs folded underneath her. She panted.

Sai slowly pulled his weight off of her waiting to see if she would bolt. "Now, approach calmly." Her head gave an akward bob. Foxes just weren't supposed to nod. She trotted ahead, a quick but steady pace. Sai followed along side. They crested the small hill that was before the rice fields. Villagers stood, hoes poised overhead, ready to bring down the little silver fox. A hand clasped tightly around the scruff of her neck before she could dash in. "Control Kagome." She huffed and transformed back.

Strain was clear in her face by the creases marking her brow. Her moves forward were short and jerky. Red was just on the fringe of her eyes as she looked at the seen before her. Sai kept a frim grip on her shoulder. A loud growl rumbled from deep in her throat. The villagers looked at her. "It's a demon!" One of the men cried pointing a sickle at her. "Get away from here you demon filth." Kagome's hiss silenced him. "Step away from my kit." Her voice was hoarse and came through clenched teeth. "This abomonation?" One asked, kicking Ryoko. Kagome roared at them and slipped from Sai's grasp. She landed on the villager's chest, one hand around his throat, the other poised to strike.

"Kagome no!" Sai cried. Her deadly claws stopped just centimeters away from her face. Red eyes looked to Sai. "Come here." He beckoned softly, purring. He swayed his body backwards. Kagome crawled off the man and stalked towards Sai. He flipped his hair over her shoulder. "Come on Kagome." He whispered, voice low and husky. His tail swayed behind him. She was crouched low on the ground looking up at him. "Mine." She curled around his legs, tail twining with his. He went onto his knees. "Absolutely." He caressed her face. He leaned in and captured her lips in a gentle kiss.

He pulled back and looked at her now wide blue eyes. "Better?" He smiled. Her breath caught in her throat. She loved his smiles. She loved him. Everything about him. She put a hand on his chest and leaned in to steal another kiss. A finger on her lips stopped her. "Once to bring you back, twice and over the edge you go." Kagome sighed, nodded, and pulled away. They both walked over to Ryoko. There was a small gash running down her hind leg. Sai picked her up, careful of the wound. "We should go to the river." Sai said.




After cleaning Ryoko's wound they were back in the hut. Shippou had yet to wake, and Miroko still looked very ill. Kagome sat next to Miroku, looking down. "What happened to him exactly?" She asked. "We were attacked by a dragon youkai. Kirara and I were fighting from above. No one saw the snake youkai come out behind Miroku until it was too late. The snake bit him and Kirara and I turned away from the dragon. The dragon struck her and punctured a lung. I finished of both of them, but by the time I was done..." Her shoulders shook with the force it took to hold back the tears. "By the time I was done, Kirara was gone, and the poison had already started to take affect."

"Kagome child, will ye give this to Miroku." Keade handed her a bowl. "Sure, Keade." Kagome propped the monk's head up and slowly poured the liquid into his mouth. "Sango, ye should not be worried, the young monk shall be back on his feet in a couple of days." Keade said. "Thank you Keade." Sango bowed slightly. "So, where's InuYasha?" Kagome asked, putting a small bandage on Ryoko's leg. "I'd imagine he'd be at the well. When ever he comes to the village now he'll check for rumors and go sit by the well." Keade said while stirring what ever resided in the pot over the fire. "Thank you Keade." Kagome looked at Sai. "I'll be right back." The red fox nodded. "Kagome, but first wouldn't you rather get some different clothes?" She looked down at her apparel and remembered that it was only Sai's outer shirt that kept her covered.

Her face quickly turned red. "Uh...yeah. Keade?" She looked at the old woman. "There is miko garb in the small chest over there." She pointed. "Thank you." Kagome grabbed the clothes changed and left. She walked to the well ignoring the villagers whsperes of how a demon wearing a miko's garb was a mockery. She gave glares to the people around her. She could smell InuYasha on the wind. He was indeed at the well. Her steps quickend. The red clad hanyo was there, back against the well, looking up at the sky.

"InuYasha?" She called. He looked down and met her eyes. "Kagome?" He asked, almost in a stupor. "What are you doing here?" She asked and sat down next to him. "I always come here." He looked away from her. "why?" Her voice was soft. "I do because...I'm always deciding wether to tell your family or not." She cocked her head. "Tell them what." He looked at her. "That they'll never see you again." Kagome put a hand on his shoulder. "InuYasha..."

He turned and clasped her in his arms. "Kagome, I thought I'd never see you again." She stayed stiff in his arms. A growl oozed out of her mouth. InuYasha stiffend and slowly tried to peel himself away. Her fangs locked over his throat, biting. His hand folded over her jaw putting pressure on the muscles like one would do trying to keep an animal from biting harder. His other hand was buryied in her hair. He pulled her jaw open and pulled her head back. He caught sight of red eyes before Kagome launched herself away from him. She stalked beyond the tree line letting the shadows envelope her.

A tree snapped and fell over. A sigh echoed through the forest. Kagome came back into the clearing head down. Her black bangs hid her eyes, but he knew that she was looking at him. "I'm sorry InuYasha." She turned away and started walking back down the path back to the village. He stood and watched her leave.





The wind rattled the bamboo blind. Kagome flung it open. "I think we should leave." Her voice was just above a growl, and her hand was clenched. "Kagome?" Sai stood and walked over to her. "What happened now?" He put a finger under her chin to make her look at him. Her arms snaked around his waist. "I almost hurt InuYasha." He stroked her hair. "That is only natural." She pulled back to look at him. "What?" Sai laughed lightly. "You and he are of an entirely different species. He is inu. You are kitsune. You are natural enemies. Once you get better control you can be around him." He tried to consol her.

"We should go back to the silver fox village." He said running his hand though her hair. She melted against his chest and nodded. "Oka?" A small voice sniveled. Kagome looked over to her eldest fox cub. "Shippou." She smiled and let go of Sai. Shippou ran into her arms. "Where have you been mom?" He snuggled into her arms. "Away but I'm here now, and I'm not leaving again." Kagome promised. "Okay." Ryoko curled around Kagome's legs and looked up at the little red fox. Kagome kneeled to give her a better look.

"Ryoko this is your big brother Shippou. Shippou this is your little sister Ryoko." Kagome introduced them. They leaned forward and touched noses. Shippou crawled out of Kagome's arms. "Mama, why is she still in fox form?" He looked at her. "Young foxes are born that way and stay that way for a few years to let them have better control over their instincs." Kagome told him while fixing the bow in his hair. "Don't you remember being in fox form when you were little?" She asked, petting his hair. Shippou shook his head. "Youkai pups usually don't remember their first three summers." Sai answered.

Sai offered her a hand up. "Do you wish to leave now?" Kagome nodded. She looked over to Sango and Miroku. "Take care of him Sango. I'll come visit some time." Sango nodded. "You better." Sango raised her fist. "I'd hate to have to hunt you down." Kagome laughed. "I'll see you around Sango." Kagome said as the fox family left the hut.




Thanks again to anyone who reviewed. R & R !!!! Reviews are fuel. ^-^