InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sisterly Love ❯ Sisterly Love ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Summary: A mini semi-tribute to those wonderful people who saw fit to bring food to those drivers trapped overnight on Route 79 by a snow storm, in the winter of 2007.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and company, the manga, or the anime, in way, shape, or form. They belong solely to Rumiko Takahashi and Viz.
 
Sisterly Love
 
Kagome laughed as she raced Sango toward the highway on their snowmobiles. Sango's was a black, complimented by hot pink, and Kagome's was a swirl of pale pinks and blues. It was still early, and there was still only enough sunlight to show their way without the help of their headlights.
 
They were delivering food to, according to her mother, “the poor people trapped in this dreadful snow on that horrible old highway.” Kagome didn't mind the horrendous ideas her mother had of the snow storm that had hit their little town for two full days, as long as it allowed Sango and her reprieve from cleaning the house all day, over and over.
 
And she really did feel bad for all those people who were trapped in the nine inches of snow that they had gotten. She smiled fondly at the memory of her cat, Buyo, snuggling in with her that night as the temperatures dropped to single digits, Fahrenheit. Sango raced ahead of her, face tight in grim concentration. Everything was serious for Sango, from the tiny races they had to completing homework. She wished she had Sango's single minded concentration.
 
While she had been thinking, they had come close to the highway. Slowing down, they stopped four feet from the highway, unloading food, coffee, and electric burners. For five minutes they worked, as coffee fumes filled the air. A few sleepy, tousled heads appeared from the car windows, smelling the sweet scent and noticing the two girls. Looking up, Kagome beamed at them and stood, waving and calling, “Good morning!”
 
Sango nodded to show that she was aware of their presence, and hefted a knapsack full of sample-sized plastic packs of butter and bread. She also grabbed a few cups of the steaming coffee, and left on her snowshoes, using the slip-slide motion that was so difficult to get used to gracefully. She stopped at the first car, knocking on the window to wake the occupant, then graciously handing him a cup of coffee and two breakfast buns, along with a small container of jam through the window.
 
Kagome stepped to the left, following her example. She was a bit less graceful, but it could have been attributed to her happiness. Smiling, she approached the first car. The occupant inside was kind, and introduced himself as Kouga, complimenting her on her beauty. She smiled kindly and blushed, then moved on. The next car, at first glance, held a rather portly man. However, she soon realized that it was, in fact, a man holding his three-year-old daughter. She smiled, offering him his food, and then his coffee, which he refused on the grounds that he had his own water. She offered her name, and he, in turn, offered his, Sesshomarou. And the little girl was Rin.
 
Sango paused in front of the next car. She had yet to encounter anyone awake enough to engage in proper conversation, though they were all very kind and grateful to her for bringing them food. This driver, however, appeared to be her own age: eighteen. He also appeared to be fast asleep.
 
Hesitantly, she knocked on his window. He came awake with a start. She smiled at him and he scowled, rolling down his window. She passed him a coffee and buns, along with a tiny container of jam. To her surprise, he accepted rather gracefully. She nodded cheerfully and stepped away, walking on to the next driver.
 
 
 
RoS: Yes, it's late and short. But it shows that I care!