InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Small Moments ❯ Unasked Questions ( Chapter 18 )

[ A - All Readers ]
"Keep driving it this way!" Sango shouted. Smoke poured from the crawlspace beneath the building, pungent and overwhelming. If not for the gas mask she wore, she might have been in serious trouble herself. But thanks to her Taijiya gear, she could safely stand even in the midst of the billowing column of smoke, lying in wait for the demon it would expel from the inn.

Behind her, she heard Houshi-sama answering a few questions from the crowd concerning her skill and Inuyasha's reaction to the smoke; he was trying to talk up her skills, probably recognizing them for the steady source of income they were. That or being lazy, she thought darkly. But she did not have much time to worry about him. At least he was staying out of her way.

Something moved in the darkness beneath the building. Something big.

"It's coming!" she announced, for all that Inuyasha cared. He was still lying senseless on the ground, both hands clapped over his mouth and nose against the smoke.

The demon - a mouse of great size, with sharp teeth bared - leapt out from the crawl space. Sango was ready for it, and crushed its skull with her Hiraikotsu before it could do any damage. She waited for a long time after that, but no other demons were forthcoming; the owner of this building had been lucky, there had only been one. But where mice were concerned, and demon mice were no exception, one typically turned quickly into many.

"Okay, Kagome, put out the fire!" she called. Eventually the column of smoke dwindled and faded completely, though its stench would remain for some time. Sango hated the thought of being covered in it, but her business here was not done yet.

Now that she knew the origin of the demon, and its type, she had some advice to give the building's owner, and some pellets that would help stave off future infestations. This she did as swiftly as possible, leaving Kagome and Shippou to tend to Inuyasha, who was still visibly suffering the effects of the smoke. She almost felt bad for him at this point, though if he had just listened to her instead of being a stubborn idiot, he wouldn't be suffering.

In return for her services, they were given access to the baths and a room in which to spend the night, with the promise of food for dinner as well. After spending so much time on the road, it seemed a bounty. It was not until the innkeeper had wandered off on his own business, and Sango was thinking longingly of a hot bath, that something odd about the exchange seemed to jump out.

"A room for three, plus the small ones," the man had said. Three?

"Hey, where's Miroku?" Kagome asked suddenly.

"He went off with some girl," Shippou supplied. Indeed, the monk seemed to have slipped off while Sango was performing the extermination, and with Kagome busy helping and Inuyasha incapacitated by the smoke, no one had noticed.

"Hmph!" Kagome muttered, scowling.

"It figures, he makes someone else do the work so he can run off and pick up girls..."

"She was really pretty. They probably went off to fulfill his request to bear his child," Shippou added, not exactly helpfully.

"Huh?" Sango managed, feeling a little lost. She watched as Kagome's expression grew darker.

"It's something he asks every woman he meets," the other girl said finally. Sango knew better than to press her about it, and turned her mind backward with a strange sense of... something that was almost disappointment. He never asked me.