InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ Making Memories ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to At First Tweak on January 25, 2012 for Prompt #60 Quilt.

Title: Making Memories
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Genre: Family
Universe: Post Canon
Word Count: 291
Summary: Kagome introduces Inuyasha to a family tradition.
----------------------


“Ouch!”

Inuyasha's ears swiveled at the quietly uttered word, but it was the faint smell of blood that had him dropping his load of firewood and hurrying to his wife's side. He immediately grabbed her hand, not caring that he knocked various pieces of fabric and thread off of her lap as he carefully looked over the injury.

“Inuyasha!” Her voice was exasperated as she futilely tried to remove her hand. “I'm fine, I just poked myself with the needle. ”

“Feh.” Finally, he released her hand after seeing that the bleeding had already stopped. “You should be more careful,” he said as he watched her retrieve her work. “What's that your making anyway?

“A quilt,” Kagome said, a small smile appearing on her face.

Inuyasha frowned, scratching his head. “Don't we have enough blankets?”

Kagome's smile only grew wider, as her hand made it's way to her slightly swollen belly. “It's a family tradition to sew a new quilt for each new child. The quilt can then be added to as the child grows, adding special memories to it.” Her smile turned slightly sad. “Don't you remember that big, heavy quilt that used to be on my bed?” Her smile became teasing. “The red and silver patches were for meeting you.”

“Keh,” he said as he pulled her against his side and examined the bits of fabric she was in the process  of sewing together. He grinned as he recognized a few scraps of green and red that had been entwined together in the center. “Us?”

“Of course. After all, the child begins with the parents.” She went back to her work, snuggled against Inuyasha's side.