InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ All Work... ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on February 18, 2012 for drabble #18 Devotion.


Title: All Work...
Author: ananova
Word Count: 500
Prompt: Devotion
Genre: Family/Romance
Rating: K+
Warnings: None

Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Kagome has been pushing herself too hard. Can Inuyasha get through to her?


---------------------------------------


In uyasha eyed his stubborn, exhausted wife as she sorted various herbs. “I think that can wait for tomorrow,” he told her. “Come to bed.”

“Huh?” Kagome looked up, startled, before shaking her head. “Oh, I'll be along shortly Inuyasha. I've got to finish this. Now which one reduces fevers?”

“Kagome, you're tired. You need to sleep. It can wait.” He tried to keep his tone even but a bit irritation managed to leak through.

Kagome noticed, giving him a look. “You can go to bed. I'm going to finish this.”

He was ready to pound his head against the wall. Why was she being so difficult? “I'm not the one who needs the sleep,” he tried pointing out.

“I'm fine!” She frowned at him. “Quit distracting me, I need to learn this.”

Inuyasha sighed, recognizing the look on her face from when she used to study for her 'tests'. He knew it would be futile to try any further at this point. He settled against the wall and waited, watching as she went back to studying the herbs. And, as he knew she would, she eventually dozed off.

Once certain she was asleep, he picked her up, carrying her to their futon. He watched her sleep for a few moments. “You're pushing yourself too hard,” he whispered, ears lowering atop his head at his inability to help her. Resolving to speak with Kaede in the morning, he joined his wife, pulling her securely against his body.

Kagome groaned as the sunlight woke her. She shot up suddenly. “I'm so late!” She tossed the blanket aside.

“Keh! You're not late for anything.”

Her head shot around and she spotted Inuyasha sitting cross-legged against the wall, Tessaiga propped against his shoulder. “Why didn't you wake me?” she accused. “I have to get going. There's so much I was supposed to do today.”

“No there's not. I talked to Kaede-baba. She excused you from your duties, said to rest today.”

“What? Why?” She frowned. “What did you tell her?”

He rose, approaching her. “The truth. That you're exhausted and pushing yourself too hard.”

She glared. “I'm fine.”

“No, you're not. No one can fault your devotion to your miko duties but you're running yourself ragged. Kaede-baba agrees.” He gently pushed her back onto the futon. “Today you rest. You don't have to learn everything at once. You have time.” He smiled at her, caressing her cheek.

Kagome sighed, leaning into his hand as her anger deflated. She knew he was right, she had been pushing herself. There was just so much to learn. “You're too good to me.”

“Feh, not possible.” His love and devotion for her filled his gaze.

She returned his look, her smile becoming sultry. “It seems I've been neglectful of my other duties. Let's rectify that.” She pulled an unresisting Inuyasha in for a kiss.